“Beware - online booking issues and poor customer service” 1 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 8 sites
Save Saved
You added Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe to your Saves list
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3411 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150 (Formerly Timber Cove Lodge)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Direct and Save!!!!
Ranked #31 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
California
“Beware - online booking issues and poor customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I booked online at the hotel website for a beach facing 2 double bed room. Arrived at the hotel, and they couldn't find reservation. They have 2 systems (pegasus and their own) and my reservation didn't get recorded on their hotel system. They commented that this is a constant issue for them and next time please use expedia or call directly. Half an hour later, I got keys to a single bed room. Went back and this time got keys to two double bed, parking lot facing at the price of beach facing. Went back and corrected rate. I thought that they are having growing pains after converting from Best Western until I saw my credit card bill. I was billed twice, once by the hotel and second time (their claim) pegasus. I have called and left message for their manager 4 times so far. No return calls. Now I am working with credit card company to remove fraudulent charge.

Room Tip: Watch your credit card for fraudulent charges
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Kimberly S, Manager at Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
My apologies for what you recently experienced while staying with us. Though I am so sorry about the series of things that happened, I do appreciate you taking the time to let us know, so that we can address each of these issues, discover the breakdown, and fix the problem.

As you mentioned, we are going through many changes and one of those is to work to ensure that each guest is relaxed, feels take care of, and has a fantastic experience. This obviously is not what you experienced, so if you would please call me and leave your email or phone number, I would like to chat with you and discuss. Neither myself nor any managers I have spoken with have received any messages, so please ask for me directly. Thank you, and I hope we will see you again as a guest at The Beach Retreat.

Steven Scheck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Plus: Parking in front of room door makes ski gear loading/unloading easy
Room is not horrible once you're inside. Think remodeled 1960's TravelLodge with 2003 design.
Walk across parking lot for breakfast at Heidi's

Cons:
Well, it's not really even 3-stars now, is it?
It's a budget place. Next time I'll skip Hotwire and book a place I know for a few bucks extra.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed two nights here in one of the 2nd floor balcony rooms, you could literally throw a stone into the lake from our balcony . The location is ideal, it would be an excellent choice for the 4th of July because of its location right on the beach. Beautiful sunset views right from your room, quiet grounds, updated rooms, cozy and comfortable beds. The fireplace in the room is a very nice touch. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. They told us about the bar in the hotel lobby and about having lunch on the pier right off the beach. (this review was for when it was a best Western Plus) not sure if it has changed owners?

Room Tip: Balcony room, with view of lake!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Corona del Mar, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This review is for the Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe, the old Best Western Timber Cove and it is for a summer stay.

It is a great summer location, right on the lake, close to golfing, Starbucks, Safeway and many other things that we found really helpful.

The rooms are clean and comfortable and it was ideal for a couple of days stay for us as we were up to visit friends in the SLT area.

it might not be my first choice in the winter for skiing, but then again, with the great rates they seem to give out for winter, I might live with the distance to the lifts.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My only gripe with this property was that they did not completely honor my original terms of booking, which was done when the hotel was still a Best Western Property. they did not honor the free breakfast, which was one of the primary reasons I had booked this place (since we were traveling with kids). That said, their in house restaurant 34-Eleven is plain horrible. The service blatantly inexcusable, and the food always arrived cold - so much for made to order hot breakfast!

The hotel room itself was very nice. Our sheet were done and towels replaced while we were out. Lake view and an in-room fireplace was just what we wanted. Everything about the room was as promised during the original booking.

Campbell, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed over late December for a ski holiday.

The lake view is unbeatable. Our room was 50 feet from the shoreline. True they do not have refrigerators, but in winter we just used the balcony.

It is 2 minutes from Ski Run Blvd. Has ski rentals next door, a CVS two doors down, and a Safeway across the street. It is 1.5 miles from Stateline, which has the casinos and two cinemaplexes.

The lobby is very nice, fireplace, comfy sofas, a bar and a restaurant. I went there in the morning when my wife was still sleeping.

I had the breakfast burrito in the lobby restaurant, 34eleven. Service from Hector was excellent and the food was very good.

The lodge is well staffed for a place the rents rooms for $100 a night. I saw them wipe down the doors and windows in the lobby at 7 am. They put out a water dispenser filled with ice and sliced mixed citrus.

The maintenance man works from dawn till dusk clearing snow and I saw him put on a guest's chains for them. My room needed some minor maintenance, so I filed a report on the way out. Remember to do that when you leave in case I get your room next time :-) The parking lot was much better maintained the lots at Harrahs and Harveys.

The lodge allows pets, which is not a plus for me and my tortoise, but the dog people seemed pretty happy. Suggest that the resort not allow pets in top floor rooms to keep them cleaner and fresher for non-pet people.

Was pleasantly surprised at the price. In summer they charge 2 to 4 times more than in winter.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was the first time for us as a family to go there & stay. We took all 4 of our dogs from the bully to the chihuahua & all of them were welcomed. We not only got a room to accompany all 6 of us humans but also the pets. They had access to the grass area right outside the room with front & back doors. Not only that we had partial view to the lake also. Just a few feet away from the pier & the sand area. Loved the place, loved the service & loved the view.

Room Tip: Have your utensils, water & plates with you in case you need it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe? Share your experiences!