“Oh man...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Toronto, Canada
“Oh man...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Tahoe Chalet Inn for one night, which was plenty. Now the suite we booked was clean which was good, but during our stay I felt like I was being secretly filmed for an episode of "how much tackiness can you stand?". Tacky is maybe even an understatement. We love kitsch, so the stay was one glorious surprise after another. We thought we would have free wifi access, but our room must have been too far, so no go. The television was snowy, every channel. There was a heart-shaped jacuzzi tub (hilarious), fake flowers everywhere, and a four-post bed with orange (kinda) linens. My favourite part by far was the frames placed around the room with nothing in them but the little sheet that states "8 x 10" that comes in them. Oh! and the "lovely garden" we were suggested to stroll through at night was really creepy. Because we have a good sense of humour this Inn was kinda perfect in a weird way. I had no idea that Harrah's was a 10 minute walk away and if I had, I would have stayed there for the night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Bruno, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I don't normally post my opinion online, but I feel the need to warn of some inaccuracies in the advertisement. I gave this hotel a second star because I loved the jacuzzi tub. It was a romantic place for my wife and I to stay, but that's all that I liked.
This place claims to have a swimming pool. It does have a pool, but there is no water in it. A previous post from a year ago leads me to believe that this pool hasn't had water for at least a year. There was no wifi in my room and there wasn't anything fitness about this place. There was no pool or fitness center. I asked about the pool and I was politely told that I could swim in the lake, which is cold and dangerous to swim in because of all the boats and jetski's. The room was small with no telephone and the shower and sink were awful. I will come back to lake tahoe, because I had a great time, but I will not stay in the same hotel.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sonora, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

This is the best place for couples to stay in South Lake Tahoe! They have themed rooms of different sizes and are so comfortable and relaxing. The first time we stayed here, we had a smaller room, so perfect though! It had a jacuzzi tub near the bed and everything was just so tidy and clean! This year we stayed in a larger room, the Marie Antoinette, and I highly suggest trying it out. It had such a big amount of space with a small bar, closet, wood burning fireplace, sofas, two head shower, and a large jacuzzi tub. The decorations, colors, and cleanliness were just perfect! In the morning they brought us muffins and juice! I have never seen such service for a low cost room. And the ladies in the office are just wonderful, so friendly and helpful. They actually let you pick out your room. They gave us a couple keys to some rooms to look at them in person before choosing which one we would stay in. Everything about this place made our honeymoon and anniversary perfect and we will keep coming back every year! Thank you so much!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Our room at the Tahoe Chalet Inn was perfect. The room was newly remodeled with attention paid to every detail. Tile on the floors throughout and the bathroom tile design was so nice we took photos! The room was spotless. There was a coffee maker with plenty of coffee and a refrigerator too. Although I did not use it, there was a hair dryer in the room. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Stockton on Tees
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Tired and unclean is how I describe this place. At first glance seemed clean enough but looking more closely I wished I hadn't. The shower was in a closet type area with no light which was probably just as well so you didn't see it too well.
Breakfast was a complete joke, a decanter of cool coffee, no milk just creamer, a few cheap boxes of juice drink and 3 boxes of cakes from Safeway, (2 plain donuts and one cinammon donuts). Thats not what I call breakfast!
Pool had no water in it, didn't try spa as seemed to be in another building across a road.
Rooms were pretty small too

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

I specifically signed up so I could list my review for this hotel. I found the previous reviewer's opinion somewhat skewed, as it sounded as though the expectations of what this hotel should have provided were out of sync with the price point. This is not a pricey hotel, even during the high season of winter.

The Tahoe Chalet Inn was our choice based on the pricing, location, and the pet policy. We arrived during the last week of December and booked through the weekend to celebrate the arrival of 2011 in South Lake Tahoe. The owners were gracious and very willing to assist with anything they could, even extending our stay due to inclement weather. The other staff members were polite, friendly, and made our stay quite comfortable.

The property is split into two sections - the front rooms that surround the parking lot seem to be the standard accommodations, while the rooms across the road at the back part of the property being the rooms with themed accommodations. If you check out the website, you'll see some of these pictured.

The main office has a large lobby with sofas, a fireplace, and an overall cozy feeling. We defrosted in there a few times with the fresh, hot coffee they offered. You can also peruse their racks of local tourism brochures and offers.

The Tahoe Chalet Inn is not a five star resort, and doesn't really market itself as one. But what it offers is a charming stay in accommodations that are reasonably priced. We stayed during the New Year's Eve weekend and could not have been more satisfied with all of the staff members we interacted with, the location of the hotel, and the cost for our room.

If you are the type of traveler that expects to have ultra-modern accommodations with unlimited amenities but don't pay the price to match, you would probably not be satisfied with this property. You probably aren't satisfied with much, really. But, if you are the sort of traveler that is willing to save a few bucks and pack your own hair dryer, or walk a few yards to the office instead of calling it in, then this may be a nice pick for you. It was for us, and we'll be back!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

Spent two nights there....never again!!!

Seems to be family owned and opeated; given an actual key for your room and a remote control??? Must sign a credit card carbon receipt in the event that you lose either the key or the remote for a total of $40. You do receive this receipt back upon checkout.

We stayed on the first floor...room is very small but size was the least of our worries. First of all, there was not an air conditioner unit in our room. It would have been nearly impossible to stay in that room if we were planning on spending time there during the daylight hours. When I inquired about the air (I had to walk to the office because the room has no phone...what hotel does that to their guests?), the nice young man (he really was nice) came to our room and told us to just open the bathroom window and it should be okay OR we could pay $40 or $50 more a night and move to a room with an air conditioner. What??? Needless to say, we did open the window the first night and since the weather in Tahoe can get chilly at night, it worked out fine. Second night, left the window closed....it was in the high thirties...no need for open window.

Second, there is a standup shower only...no tub. Not a problem except that the shower had absolutely no water pressure (deal breaker #1) and you had to constantly maneuver the shower head because the water was either scorching hot or ice cold (deal breaker #2). My daughter wouldn't even shower there. I did talk to the front desk about it and they apologized but didn't seem too worried.

Final straw was after my cold/hot/cold/hot shower, I get ready to dry my hair and there is no blow dryer. I have never stayed in a hotel that didn't have a blow dryer. There is also no iron/ironing board. Expect to find just a basic room with basically nothing in it but a bed, a tv, a dresser and side table.

On the positive side, the location is great if you like being near Heavenly. The property also seems pretty safe....we didn't have any trouble walking to and from the Heavenly area. We even walked to meet some friends at their hotel near Ski Run.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Tahoe Chalet Inn? Share your experiences!