“968 PARK HOTEL IS A HIDDEN JEWEL IN MAGICAL LAKE TAHOE” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   968 Park Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #14 of 71 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“968 PARK HOTEL IS A HIDDEN JEWEL IN MAGICAL LAKE TAHOE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

968 Park Hotel bills itself as the "Green Hotel" of Lake Tahoe, but it is "green" you will save because it is a tremendous value while improving the ecological balance of this pristine part of the world. From it's elegantly designed lobby, with earthy decor and friendly staff to it's warm and recycled wood-covered walls, you immediately feel at home. There is subtle luxury, like it's eco-friendly beds which I found to be sumptuous and relaxing. The tall California pines whisper in the wind as I lounged in my room, so quiet, so peaceful. Yes, there is the expected recycled this and sustainable that but this hotel doesn't skimp on the necessities and you will find everything you need here. A cozy spa, complete with soothing Jacuzzi thermal pool, steam room and sauna. There are also private massage studios where therapists will work out all the aches and pains of hiking in the summer and skiing in the winter. Have I convinced you yet? Well, there is one more thing, you can actually walk to the Heavenly Valley ski lift from here or enjoy all the shops and nearby casinos without ever needing a car. All in all I give 968 Park Hotel an excellent recommendation, all boutique hotels should rise to its standard of excellence!
Carlos Amezcua
Fox News

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Humboldt County, Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

I love this hotel and spa. It's eco-friendly and all the natural would inside and out blend so beautifully with nature. The staff is incredibly friendly, the rooms are very cozy & comfortable and the coffee (good coffee) is always brewed. The location is one block off the main street. They have a sauna, a hot tub and two massage rooms. I had an 8o minute massage by Luisa and have to say that I would come back to Tahoe on a regular basis just to have a massage by Luisa. She is the best massage therapist I have EVER met. ~Loretta

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

Reviews are very important in making a choise good and bad so heres the real deal. The good - very comfy bed, sheets, flat screen tv , fridge, shower, soaps, awesome towels,front desk help, steamroom, close to everything.
The not so good - Rooms are loud, showers, hallway - room was always hot with no air conditioning summer is out of the question fans will not due it
Would like to have - coffee in the room, any little thing for breakfast , $8.00 for the stainless bottles
Good value for the 52.00 per night price

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
danpfister
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

I stayed at the 968 Park Hotel this past Easter weekend and overall had an amazing experience there.

I had no idea what type of place this hotel would be, and was a bit worried it would be another run-of-the-mill South Lake motel. I arrived from my 6 hour drive from LA at around 5am... exhausted and hungry. My girlfriend and I checked in, and the guy at the front desk was extremely pleasant and helpful. We got our room and we asked for an upgrade. He checked and happily gave us a larger room with a nice view.

After we checked in, he offered us water and also got us some snacks and toothpaste. He definitely went out of his way at 5 am to help us out. The next day, we met the manager of the hotel Chris, and he helped give us advice on places to shop and some good new restaurants. His advice was spot on and more than helpful.

Throughout the weekend, we had nothing but good things to say about the hotel. Great location (walk to gondola), clean, HUGE comfy beds, and pleasant staff. We also spent some time in the sauna and hot tub, and everything was nicely decorated and clean.

Staying here again is a no-brainer for me. My girl and I had a romantic, perfectly accommodated weekend and will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

This is a nice ECO-Friendly hotel. The staff was just as helpful and accomodating as they could be. The room was comfortable and "homey". The coffee in the lobby was some of the best I've ever had! I stayed there for 4 nights. While I was there they were replacing the hot water heater. We ended up without hot water for about 18 hours when the installer couldn't finish on time. The manager refunded 2 of my 4 nights for the inconvenience and rented a room at the hotel next door for anyone who needed to take a shower! Now that's what I call customer service!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Roseville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

I am writing this review sitting in the property. This is the best hidden Gem in South Lake Tahoe. My wife and I spend a lot of time in South Lake Tahoe and have spent nights at all the major resorts and I totally impressed with this property. The property used to be a Days Inn but you would never know it. The rooms have cozy cabin feel. The beds are awesome! I travel a lot for work and I rarely find good beds. The linens are great and it feels like you are sleeping in your own bed not a hotel bed.

The staff has been incredible. They have all been friendly and more than happy to help with any request we have had during this stay. The location is great. Walking distance to the Casinos and Heavenly's village. I think the item to remember is this is not a 5 star resort but it does not pretend to be. My wife had a massage at their spa and it was incredible.

If want to stay in a cool place that is not your typical property in South Lake Tahoe....this is the place. It is cozy, convienent, cool, and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

We stayed here for a ski trip after reading other reviews. We stayed in Room 317 which was "deluxe" with a king size bed. The room was simply and nicely decorated and very clean. The room was on the warm side (we prefer it to be cooler when we sleep) but there were fans. It was a little bit of a hike to the gondola wearing ski boots and carrying skiis, but it was doable. There are lockers at the gondola for $7 if you don't want to wear your boots. The only complaint we would have is that unless you have your own car you have to take a shuttle from the airport and the closest drop off to this hotel is at the casinos which is a good 10min walk away at a brisk pace (a little challenging with luggage and ski gear).
The staff at the front desk were nice and helpful. They recommended McP's for food and drink which was good and reasonably priced. They also recommended Blu Dog Pizza which was also very good and not expensive (unlike many other places around town). We would recommend State Line Brewery for their happy hour from 4-6pm. $3 drinks and good appetizers. We didn't eat dinner there, but the menu looked good (and expensive).
We walked down to the beach from the hotel to look around. It was only a couple of blocks away but there is no public access. It seems to be privately owned along this stretch with a fence all along the road.
Overall, this hotel seems to be a good value compared to what other hotels in the area looked like. It was reasonably priced and in a good location.
By the way, we had beautiful spring skiing. The weather was sunny, the lift lines short and the runs are well maintained. The views from the slopes are amazing. Lift tickets are very expensive and so are food and drinks. $4 for a bottle of water. $18 for two draft beers. Night life was pretty lacking in the town but we were pretty wiped out after happy hr each nite anyway. We would definitely return and maybe even bring our teens next time.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to 968 Park Hotel? Share your experiences!