“Wonderful staff but doesn't compensate for shortages” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   968 Park Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #14 of 71 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tahoe
“Wonderful staff but doesn't compensate for shortages”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were greeted by a wonder staff desk clerk and upon entering our room it was under going plastering so they were nice enough to up grade us to a suite . Unfortunately the next morning our door would not close so we had to leave our room unlocked till they were able to fix it, which they did by the time we got back. Unfortunately we had the same problem in the evening and we were finally able to get it closed ourselves. On our third day our room was never cleaned after being gone all day. The maid came at 4:30 so we hurried up nd left for dinner , when we returned the room was still not serviced. For get the wifi- up and down the whole 4 days we were there. In as much as the staff was wonderful and the beds were very comfortable the challenges with the room and lack of wifi service I would not recommend friends or family in case it happens to them.

Room Tip: I don't know that there is a good location our "suite" faced the street so we had to d...
Green Features: It's nice that they have focused on being enviro friendly . Nice not to smell cleaning solutions when the room was cleaned - but then who knows if it was .
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Davis, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I came to South Lake Tahoe for a wedding. There was no hot water for a shower or to wash my hair. The staff was very blase' about this. Apparently, it happens all the time. I needed to deal with some work related issues while I was there. The WiFi is spotty and drops the connection all the time. Apparently, this is a known issue, too. There is no air conditioning and the room was miserably hot. The pillows were hard as a rock. Basically, for $300 over two nights I had no sleep, no shower, no internet. I tried to call the front desk at one point....but the phone didn't work. I would absolutely not return to this hotel

Room Tip: I rated the rooms poor because of my problems, but they were clean and spacious enough. No refriger...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
irl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Spent 5 nights here - a retreat after a 4 day road trip from Seattle. Hotel is ideally located near lake beach and a walk from Stateline and Casinos. Staff were very welcoming, helpful and pleasant. Rooms lovely but could be a bit hot in the early part of night - no A/C - tip from reception try and book a lower floor room in Summer time as they can be a lot cooler. Bar was good - had a quite 'local' feel to it partly because of bar Mgr- she was very chatty and informative.

Room Tip: Book a lower floor room in mid Summer
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Elk Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The location was good, the place was new and clean and had a unique vibe. The service at the bar was terrible, we were waiting for awhile and then felt like we were inconveniencing the lady. Other than that, the room was plain but had character at the same time, bed was extremely comfortable. I would stay here again, hopefully with a new bartender this time.

Room Tip: Nice place to stay within walking distance to casinos.
Green Features: I'm usually not that "green" but it the hotel has a nice take on the issue and I loved staying there.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Just returned from the Celeb Golf Tournament weekend, stayed at the 968. Great location and the staff goes above and beyond to ensure your stay is perfect.

Small boutique hotel just off the strip, across the street from the Marriott property and walking distance to everything.

Hotel has a small bar downstairs that serves coffee in the AM and has a great happy hour in the evening.

Rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable.

If the hotel casinos aren't your thing, then the 968 is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chico, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We just got back from our stay at 968 and I want to return! The hotel is in a perfect location, minutes from the beach and across the street from Heavenly Village. Minutes from the action of the casinos and ski resorts, but the property is peaceful! I loved that the pool and spa were open until midnight as it gave you the option to take a dip after late dinners and watching the sunset. The CoffeePub was perfect with great on tap beers and really great coffee, for low prices. There is a Keurig in each room as well if you want complimentary coffee.

The rooms were spacious and had been updated in a tasteful, modern way, but in keeping with the Tahoe theme. I am very picky about the comfort of beds and I must say, this was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in while vacationing. Better than the Westin's Heavenly beds! The only issue I had was the sheets were polyester, my ONLY suggestion for the hotel would be to consider cotton. I have a slight allergy to polyester, so it is something that gets me....but, my family said they were ultra soft sheets. It would not affect most people.

The best part of this hotel is the staff. Everyone was friendly and wanting to help! I interacted with Casey and Christina most, who both gave incredible "local" recommendations. Both made fresh, gourmet slow drip coffee each morning with great conversation. Christina felt like an old friend and is so accommodating.

I have read the complaints about how hot it was without air conditioning and this is what I have to say about that: It is Lake Tahoe- open a window! We came during an unusually hot week for Tahoe and yes, it was hot in the room at time, but it was not stifling. We utilized our fan and slept fine. Most of the time during the heat of the day we were accessing the amazing nature that is Lake Tahoe and were not in our room, as it should be. Get out. Go jump in the pool to cool down and come back up to the room. The heat is NOT that big of a deal. Don't let is sway you from staying at this hotel. AND.....we saw the A/C being installed as we were leaving. We will most definitely be back! I did book through an online site and I regret that. The service deserves to be booked through the hotel. I am sure if you see a great online rate they would probably match it. If you stay once and are a returning customer there is a discount! WE will definitely be returning to this hotel and can't wait.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the stairwells will be cooler!
Green Features: Everything centered around be environmentally friendly! there is even a "hybrid" discount.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Campbell, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

968 Park was just what we were looking for. Clean, comfortable and within walking distance to the casinos and shopping. Right across the street from Heavenly Village. The staff could not be nicer. I've read complaints about the parking here. There is a huge parking lot on this hotels property. The lack of air conditioning can be an issue in the summer, but the staff assured me that they would have it by next summer, when I plan on returning. Thanks for an enjoyable stay!!

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor. It was quiet and it faced trees, so it was shady
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to 968 Park Hotel? Share your experiences!