“Fantastic hotel with fantastic people” 5 of 5 stars

968 Park Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   968 Park Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel with fantastic people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

5 of us stayed at 968 for two weeks recently and had an epic time. The bar and the hotel staff really make the hotel a great place to stay. Everyone really wants to help you have a good time. Richard, who looks after the maintenance of the hotel is a top bloke, helped me out many times. Rowena owns the bar and the offers each night make it a great place to party. Kelsey is also really lovely. Ashley,jake and Christina were also fantastic.. Too many great people to mention all of them.

The rooms are large, clean and a little out there due to the use of recycled materials. Thank you so much to the housekeeping team. You kept our rooms smelling so nice despite the sweaty ski socks and boots.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brandon L, Manager at 968 Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for such a stellar review! Every single one of the staff members at the 968 are here because they want to make sure your stay in Tahoe is outstanding. Its great to get your feedback. I look forward to letting my employees know that they are appreciated and are doing such a great job. Come back and hang out with us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at 968 park hotel and for the value I would say its one of south lakes hidden secrets. The staff has been the best and very nice people to talk to. The rooms are very clean and Eco friendly with a very comfy bed to pass out on after a long day of boarding. The drinks are fairly priced with daily drink specials and happy hour from 4-6. If your looking for a great place to stay you found it right hear.

• Stayed March 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I wish I could give 3.5 stars, because I think this place is slightly above average in that the bed was comfortable and linens actually clean, but I would NOT call it "very good".

Great location for Heavenly and our corner room felt relatively private, but not enough staff, and attention to detail could be better. The best part was the hot tub which is open until 11pm, and when we got in just after snowboarding, around 4-4:30, it was usually empty.

Staff are friendly but there only ever seemed to be one person on duty, and that person was never behind the "bar". The ongoing joke was the "light breakfast." Literally just coffee, tea, and a fruity-cake slice every day. Really? Not even cereal, or fruit? How hard would it be to put some yogurt out? Or toast? Given that most people are likely to be skiing or snowboarding all day, I'm not sure how much sustenance a TEENY-tiny piece of sugary cake is!

Our room had no kettle, no fridge, and no valuables safe in the room, which would be really ideal if you're on the slopes all day. I took to locking my valuables in my massive suitcase with the idea that someone walking off with my hideous duffel would look fairly conspicuous. Wifi is TERRIBLE - don't believe them when they say, "It *might* not work well in your room, but it works down here in the lobby". It fluctuates greatly even just sitting in one position. Can rarely get a signal even in the lobby, and very little cell phone reception, so 3G isn't going to get you far either.

They have a stove, microwave and oven in the "bar" area but no food. I overheard another guest complain that the girl at reception said the kitchen was "just for show."

Free drink token on arrival which seemed nice, but they had only 3 beers to choose from, and the beer they gave us wasn't even a pint. It was basically half a glass - in a plastic cup. Young staff who, as I say, are friendly but seem a bit careless and clearly just there to take advantage of the location themselves.

Overall, overpriced and lacking in conventional service one should be able to expect at these prices. I get that they're going for boutique, but a safe, a kettle, and some fruit or cereal in the morning wouldn't go amiss. Loud showers/floors/doors, but I think we lucked out because the room next to us seemed to be empty for most of the time - it was noise from above that we got.

Lastly, and possibly worst, they're not very green - we stayed for a week and everyday we hung our towels up to show we didn't need them replaced. Every day, they were replaced. I suggested leaving the Do Not Disturb sign on the door all day to my husband, but we wanted the bins emptied and the toilet paper and tissue refilled, so that didn't work. I suggest working on meeting typical hotel expectations at this price level rather than striving for a "green" image you clearly aren't living out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
968ParkHotel, General Manager at 968 Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. Your comments are important to us for improving our service in the future.

For the benefit of our future guests, there are a couple items I want to clarify in your comments.

For breakfast, like most high end hotels, we do not offer a complementary breakfast. However you'll find the menu for the Driftwood Café in the room where you can get many breakfast options as well as receive a discount as a guest of our hotel.

We do have refrigerators in our deluxe rooms. Our standard rooms offer a more economically priced option with a few less amenities such as a refrigerator.

The beers are 12 oz. We use recycled plastic cups if you will be taking the beer from the bar to the pool or your room, otherwise we use glass goblets.

Finally the kettle, I believe you are referring to a coffee maker? We have recently installed new Keurig coffee brewers in every room.

Please feel free to contact us with any specific questions. :-)
Orion
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

968 Park Hotel
Location: The hotel is just a five minute walk (in ski boots) to the Heavenly Gondola. Use the ski locker on the first floor to secure your ski’s to avoid carrying them up to the room. There isn’t much of a view from the rooms. Room 303 looks across Park at other lower priced hotels.
Cleanliness: Room 303 has a fairly new bathroom. The shower was good but one morning it took a few minutes for the hot water to reach us. There is no coffee maker or refrigerator in this room so I had to keep our yogurt in on ice, though the front desk said they have a large refrigerator if you want to store things there. The ice maker is on the second floor. Our room was cleaned daily and clean towels supplied if we needed them.
Amenities: The Free Wi-Fi doesn’t always work in room 303. I had to first go downstairs to the pub / lobby area to login with my iPhone, Kindle and laptop. After that, I was at least able to use my laptop and Kindle over Wi-Fi from the room. The front desk suggested this procedure. We reported that the jets of the hot tub weren’t working and it was fixed the next day. The sauna worked but both the hot tub area and sauna area have dim lighting, are depressing and need updating. The pool is seasonal so only opened in the summer months. I only saw one outdoor pool opened and that was at the Marriott at the Heavenly gondola area. There is plenty of free parking most of it covered. There is a small breakfast in the pub area which consists of coffee, tea and some sweet bread. The bread was fresh but nothing outstanding.
Service: The staff was very friendly. We asked the front desk for trail maps of Heavenly and Kirkwood. They were out of them but had them the next day for us. Rowena who manages the pub was helpful offering suggestions on a choice for dinner in Heavenly and Heavenly ski run’s we might try the next day. She even provided us free glass of wine, beside the token for one free Happy Hour drink we received at check in.
Noise: Some reviewers complained about the noise but we only had one problem with that. Some younger visitors decided to have a party outside our room near the elevator at about 11 p.m. one evening. They appeared to have enjoyed a few drinks this evening because they were fairly loud. We asked them to quiet down and they left without any problems. We did not hear much noise from adjacent rooms but I don’t know if they were occupied.
The only problems we had with Room 303 was the very occasional drop of water from the ceiling fan in the bathroom, the sink handle came off, and the difficulty opening the room door. Most times it took two swipes and a good shoulder push to get the door open. We viewed it as added security feature. However we reported these items to the front desk when we checked out. Considering the price ($116/night) this is a good choice for skiing in Lake Tahoe.

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

As Brazilian and not used to show resorts, we were vary insecure about it. But the place is just the best: Nice bedrooms, Nice people, Nice location, Nice happy hour! Less than 100 meters from Heavenly resort! We just LOVED it !

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

No wifi in the room with excuses from the front desk staff. Tepid jaccuzzi that resembled egg drop soup. Stained bath and hand towels that made me question if they were actually clean. Great bed, excellent location and a good price.

• Stayed February 2013
Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hotel was well reviewed and therefore I decided it was the place to stay. I did read that the rooms above cause noise, but decided it must be fussy complaining people writing the review, but when the people come in at 3 am and you can hear everything, how long they spend on the toilet, every step, bang AND can hear them talking, then you are in for a bad night. The decor was trendy, but the drawers were almost impossible to open, we had two tiny double beds so ended up sleeping separately, the water noise rushing in the walls at times drives you crazy, well I could go on. I will never stay here again or recommend it to others. Yes the staff are great and the bar atmosphere brilliant, but that's all I can say that is positive.

Room Tip: Sleep on the top floor so you don't get disturbed, but remember the people underneath will hear...