“Advertises more than it is” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Drinks!
Ranked #15 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Portland, OR
“Advertises more than it is”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011 via mobile

Pros:
1. location. 1 block from heavenly village. 4 blocks from lake tahoe beach.
2. Cleanliness.
3. Free parking, covered
4. Free wifi that works

Cons:
1. Room size is adequate, bathroom to small. For price you are just expecting more.
2. Staff are helpful, but just don't get what you are really expecting or needing or wanting. Brochures of activities are in a locked cabinet. If you ask specifically for an activity info is provided, but if you want to look no such luck. Dinner recommendations-not confident that they are recommending something good, because they have never been.
3. Pool is not heated. Jacuzzi broken for entire trip.
4. No continental breakfast as advertised. Just coffee and oj.
5. Lack of towels. Pool towels are just a little bigger than hand towels. Most evenings not enough towels for all guests to use pool.

Overall, average hotel, with advertisement for hip , new, magnificent hotel/resort that just doesn't live up. But if in your price range, location could trump all cons because it is clean.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Relaxing atmosphere. Besides large, comfortable rooms, we enjoyed spending time relaxing in the lobby for the continental breakfast and an afternoon glass of wine. The hotel staff was extremely accommodating and very helpful with planning our daily activities. I was impressed with the fact that it was a "green hotel" contributing to helping the delegate Tahoe environment. The decor reflected this and created a warm feeling. We will recommend it to friends and look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

When I first go there, I was not happy with my room, it was a floor and location issue, I like the decor of the place. Doug went out of his way to find a room for me and never shamed me for wanting to change. From that point, every experience with this place was amazing. I happen to hit at a hot time and asked for an extension to move the fan to the window. Bill ran out bought one because they did not have one long enough. Everyone there is so nice and accommodating. Love the pool area too, very relaxing to read a book. The hotel is clean and I love the bed. I am a bed snob and this one was as good as mine at home.
But what you need to do is book a massage with Luisa. She was so amazing, I added another session the next day and ate budget for the rest of the trip. Magic. And I get massages regular but this was my Top massage ever.
I will go back for sure. It very convenient location and I look forward to seeing Luisa.

Room Tip: Ask for room that faces the Lake, even thou you can not see it, you get a breeze.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

This is the friendliest staffed hotel we have ever been to and we are well traveled. The staff went out of their way to make our stay wonderful. The rooms are big enough for a family of four. The beds are really comfortable and my husband and I both have back issues so, beds can be a downer at a hotel. This one was great! They give you a pass to a private beach that is normally $16 for a family of 4 per day so this was great! Also, they give you a discount card for some of the nicest restaurants including the Driftwood Cafe that is great for breakfast and lunch. Really, this hotel is a great deal. We walked all over South Tahoe Village. Very centrally located. We walked to Stateline in 6 minutes. We will definitely be back. There is no AC but with the windows open, it is really fine. It is eco-friendly (the best we have ever seen) and was great for our family!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Grass Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We went here for our anniversary and stayed 2 nights. We loved this hotel, it was in a perfect location and the staff was really nice. I would be a little dissapointed if we paid full price for the room which is about $200 a night but since we looked on expedia we found it for about $90 but I looked again on the 968 hotel website and they said on there they will match or beat any third party price on the internet if you call them, so I called and they offered me $85 a night! We were very satisfied for the price and absolutely loved the spa and sauna room, there was nobody in there ever so we had the place to ourselves. The beds were so nice, very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was non existant but that's ok, who wants to eat pastries at a hotel when there are lots of good places to eat just right up the street.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Bay Area, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

First the Good: Great location walking distance to main Stateline area of shopping, casino, restaurants but just off the main road so noise minimal. The convenience was great. Also, fairly clean room, although a bit small with small sink. 968 Park touts the "green aspect" of their property.

Next the Ok: Staff overall friendly. They had muffins and coffee in morning. Parking easy. It was a bit better than a typical motel, as they apparently renovated an old motel a few years ago, but only a bit better, but the price we paid was that I expected more.

The unusual and unacceptable: I've been in most states in US and have been in cheap motels to high end hotels. This perhaps may be the 1st hotel or motel I've stayed at where there was NO Air Conditioning, only a couple of fans. For how much we paid, NO AC is not acceptable.

The suspect: 968 Park is rated high on Tripadvisor. I'm guessing many of you reserve because of this. I just went through the reviews to see how it rated so high. Not saying anything is wrong, but pointing out that there are MANY reviews where the reviewers only reviewed this "hotel" as it's only review, and ALMOST ALL of these reviews with only 1 or 2 reviewers to their profile rate this as 5 stars. Just be cautious if you are choosing based on these reviews.

The Conclusion: the stay wasn't bad and thank goodness the weather at night was not hot. I would contemplate staying here again (in non summer months) due to location and overall a solid place. It's just overpriced and no A/C.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

The 968 Park Hotel is one of those cool boutique hotels you hear of. The staff was very happy to help us on our stay. It looked like it recently went through an up grade so watch out for the older reviews. We enjoined being able to walk out the door to restaurants and shopping area in South Tahoe. Our room had two very comfortable beds. One problem we had was our room was near the lobby entrance. Around 7am reception turned on a outside speaker system. We needed to get up so we didn't complain just took it as part of our vacation fun. Breakfast was a let down. We believe the coffee was instant and there wasn't much to choose from in the lobby. Down the street the hotel has a partnership with however. Avoid the covered parking if you have a big car. One guest blocked me in, thanks. Overall we loved our stay and would do it again when the opportunity comes up.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to 968 Park Hotel? Share your experiences!