“1 Manta no Whale Sharks but lots of sharks and tropical fish - A +” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Diversity Scuba Tofo

Diversity Scuba Tofo
PO Box 194 | Tofo Beach, Tofo, Mozambique
+258 02329002
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Diversity Scuba is a PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Centre and Tofo's longest running scuba dive operation. Based on the beautiful Tofo Beach in Inhambane Province, Mozambique, we are lucky enough to be able to offer our customers some of the best and most spectacular scuba diving in Mozambique and the Indian Ocean. We have three fully equipped dive boats which can do as many as three launches a day each, offering recreational diving on nineteen different sites in the Tofo area, including the famous Manta Reef. All our dives are guided and we aim to have no more than 6 divers in one group, offering personalized service to our clients, with safety and enjoyment being our priorities. The Diversity Scuba diving team - 3 Instructors and 2 Dive Masters - are friendly and experienced PADI professionals whose services include a full range of PADI training courses from Discover Scuba Diving all the way to Instructor. With our large onsite training pool, quality Scubapro rental equipment, spacious and well equipped classroom facilities and enthusiastic instructors, we offer a high standard of diver training in a safe, relaxed environment. Diversity Scuba is located right on the centre of Tofo and our modern and comfortable premises include a rooftop bar where we do the briefings and debriefings and where you can have a cold drink or a snack in between dives, enjoying the beautiful view of the surrounding area. Diversity's bar provides to our guests free tea and coffee throughout the day and a wide screen TV always showing our fantastic diving videos. For your comfort and safety we also have available a large personal dive equipment store room and lockers you can use as dry storage for personal belongings. We have a Nuvair Nitrox membrane compressor which can provide up to 40% enriched air. This is ideal for the deeper sites to have longer dive times. We have on offer Nitrox courses and provide FREE Nitrox fills on all dives to Nitrox certified divers. When the weather and ocean conditions allow it, Diversity Scuba is also the only dive operation in the area to offer Night Dives, thus providing you the unique opportunity to discover the wonders of diving Tofo's reefs by night! In the pristine waters of the Tofo area we not only have one of the biggest Whale Shark populations in the world, which can be spotted year round and sometimes in groups of up to 6 or 7 Whale Sharks at a time, as there is also the incredible opportunity to dive with graceful Giant Manta Rays (up to 7 m across) that can be found in most of our main dive sites, all of which are within a 30 minute boat journey from Tofo. Besides these gentle giants, the Tofo area also offers spectacular world class diving on pristine reefs with an abundance of marine life ranging from soft and hard corals, pelagic fishes, multitudes of reef fishes, shrimps, nudibranchs, giant moray eels, turtles, dolphins and a variety of rays, some of which are not seen in many parts of the world like the rare small eye stingray. Sightings of White Tip, Black Tip and Grey Reef Sharks are a common occurrence and even the occasional Leopard Shark or Hammerhead Sharks are seen every now and then. But the highlight of any day in Tofo has to be the time spent with the majestic Whale Shark, either on the boat ride out to the dive sites or during one of our Ocean Safaris, which are a unique and unforgettable two hour snorkeling experience with the possibility of encounters and swimming with Whale Sharks, Dolphins and occasionally also Manta Rays. Twice a week we also offer Bio Ocean Safaris with a small lecture at the dive centre and a marine biologist onboard which constitute an excellent opportunity to learn more about our Whale Sharks and Mantas while also actively contributing to scientific research being conducted in the Tofo waters. Last but not least during the winter months (May to October) large numbers of Humpback Whales migrate along the coastline and come very close to shore in the Tofo area, thus broadening the chances to observe some more giants of the deep. Humpback Whales are frequently seen from the boat but there is also a good probability of an encounter whilst you are diving, which is a unique chance to see these huge creatures up close and personal. If you are not lucky enough to spot one, you'll at least listen to their fantastic songs whilst diving in any of our reefs! Our aim at Diversity Scuba is to provide a non-intrusive opportunity for ocean and adventure lovers from all over the world to observe the incredibly diverse Mozambican marine life in their natural habitat. A visit to the reefs of Tofo with Diversity Scuba will leave you with memories to treasure and dreams of returning.
Blantyre, Blantyre, Malawi
23 attraction reviews
“1 Manta no Whale Sharks but lots of sharks and tropical fish - A +”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love using Diversity Scuba when I visit Tofo. This time was no exception and once again the standards were high and consistent. From the moment you walk into reception to the time you walk through those doors to leave you feel comfortable and safe with these guys with a lot of excitement and anticipation for what you are going to see once you get to that dive site. I did my Nitrox course and was helped out in every way. Vera and Joan were very helpful on my arrival and Richie was a star on my first dives and exams. The equipment is in great condition and as everything is done for you (unless yo want to do your own) you can really enjoy and relax. Briefings are good and informative. Got to see a Manta on Reggies Reef but that was it despite visiting Manta Reef twice during my stay there. Chose the wrong boat the next day as the other dive team saw a whale shark.... so yes they are out there. Vis was really clear at this time of the year. However watch for the jellies and especially if you choose to wear a short suit. Will definitely return here again to find those elusive whale sharks........ Fantastic variety of other sharks and fish so still plenty to see. Corals were vibrant too.

Thanks to the other team members - Nick, Steve and Leo. Thanks for great diving

Visited April 2013

San Francisco, California
38 attraction reviews
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We did only one dive with Diversity since our hotel was located right next to Peri Peri but I decided to review Diversity anyway since we had a great experience with them (with both companies, actually!)

We wandered into Diversity at noon on our second day in Tofo having not yet made reservations since 1) we were jetlagged and just switched over after our 40hr transit to Tofo from the US, and 2) it's a chill town and you don't really need to reserve until you get there. The morning dives had already left and the afternoon dives were leaving at 1 PM and we didn't have our swim gear, PADI card or anything. They were nice enough to arrange a divemaster to take the 3 of us on a personal dive at 2 PM. My fiance and I hadn't dived in over a year (I only certified a year ago and hadn't gone since certification since the waters are too cold where I live) so we decided to do a recertification review first. They did a thorough pool review and made me feel comfortable with the equipment and signals and skills before we headed out for our first dive. With only 3 of us and 1 divemaster to ourselves, it was an amazing dive! Lots of personal attention and we saw the most during this dive than any other because the divemaster was able to point out things to all of us!

Thank you! What a wonderful way to do my first real dive!

Visited March 2013
Paris, France
“Very professional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Diving conditions in Tofo are rough! Diversity Scuba provides a very professional structure. We were 4 divers, and were taken care of by 4 dive masters / instructors.
Material is of good quality, and the staff prepares it for you. So, there are not many efforts to do.
Dive masters are not very friendly, but they are very professional. I guess it is what matters.

Maybe 1 bad point : there are many waves on the sea, and the skipper is not a "soft skipper", some times, he could have slown donw! :-)

Visited March 2013
Alcester, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Awesome diving!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at Mozambeat Motel in Tofo and they recommended two dive schools to me: Peri Peri Divers and Diversity Scuba. I initially went to Peri Peri (simply because it was nearer to the motel) and although I really liked the divemasters there, they sadly couldn't fit me in. So, off I went to Diversity and signed up for two dives.
Although I am a qualified rescue diver, I hadn't dived for 3 years so they recommended me to do a shallow dive first - fair enough. The boat trip was really bumpy (luckily I don't get seasick!) and my boat entry skills leave a lot to be desired (not the most elegant sight you have seen!) but the dive was absolutely brilliant and I couldn't wait to do my deep dive the next day and fulfill my dream of seeing manta rays!
This is where I sadly have to knock off just one star...On the morning of my second dive, it was very windy so I called ahead to check if the dive would still go ahead. I spoke to my divemaster from the previous day and was assured that, to his knowledge, the dive would go ahead, at 7.30am as originally planned. So, I trudged down the hill - a hot 20 minute walk from my motel - and arrived at the dive shop eager to get going. When I got there, I was greeted by Steve (the manager, I think) who was quite annoyed by his staff for telling me that the dive would go ahead without checking properly; in fact, the swell was pretty wild and the dive was going to be postponed until later that morning. On learning that I had come all the way from Mozambeat, he also profusely apologised that no-one had offered to pick me up - apparently they do free pick ups, but no-one had told me this. I didn't really mind, but I just got the feeling, from Steve, that his staff had let their standards slip just a little bit.
Other than that minor quibble, I have absolutely no complaints about Diversity at all. The divemasters were all really nice, super-professional, knowledgeable and I felt like I was in very good hands. Their faciities are excellent, and briefings and debriefings are very thorough. And of course, the diving was absolutely stunning - manta rays are amazing!!!
Tip I learned from a divemaster at Diversity: If you're interested in learning more, there is a Whale Shark and Manta Ray Research Station, located at the back of Casa Barry. You can visit them to chat to the staff and volunteers there, and they also do free talks on some evenings.

Visited February 2013
“Diversity Scuba...Thank you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Thank you Diversity Scuba for being so friendly, helpful and professional...You have the best marine life...without you, I would have never been able to see whale sharks, white tip sharks, grey reef sharks, mantas, devil rays, blue spotted rays, turtles, guitar sharks, leopard sharks, lobsters and dolphins...in 8 dives only!!! I'll be back for sure...Sherif Rafik