“Lovely second time around” 5 of 5 stars

Alam Anda Ocean Front Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Sambirenteng 1, Tejakula, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Tejakula
Buckinghamshire, England
“Lovely second time around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was the second time my husband and I have stayed here. We loved it just as much as we did the first time. This is one of those rare hotels where reality is even better than the website.
We had a Deluxe Garden Bungalow. Comfortable, clean and so, so attractive. Lovely big balcony with the stunning gardens all around. And the prettiest pool ever.
The Spa has been built since our last visit. Delightful! I had a brilliant massage every other day. I had an Ayerverdic Massage which involved having gallons of warm coconut oil poured over me and smoothed in by two masseuses. Fun to try but I preferred the standard massages – at around 20 Euros a go I felt they were good value and very relaxing
The food is very good - not gourmet but plenty of it and well cooked - large helpings and excellent Indonesian food. My choice was restricted by not being able to eat chilli! I was very happy though as they did very nice pasta, banana smoothies and yummy cakes! The Indonesian buffets on a Sunday night are fantastic. The buffets on other nights were less exciting so we stuck to the main menu.
Our only regret was the lack of fresh fish. There was lots of fresh tuna which we loved - and ate a lot! Oddly the hotel finds it hard to buy much from the fishermen you can see out in the boats offshore every night. Their catches are pre-bought by supermarkets!
When I talked to the manager Bettina, she kindly arranged for the kitchen to buy some fresh snapper specially for us - they cooked it beautifully and we thoroughly enjoyed it!
My husband enjoyed his diving - I was only able to snorkel on one day coz of high wind and seas - but it was well worth it. A lovely selection of fish to watch with some OK coral right in front of the hotel.
This is a quiet resort - there is occasional evening entertainment but no disco or riotous bar scene - thankfully! The barmen make excellent cocktails, the ambiance is lovely.
What more could one want?

Room Tip: Most of the Garden Rooms don't have a veiw of the sea. If that matters to you look at the map on...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

A truly great place to stay (especially if you are into diving). The accommodation is first class: great food, really friendly staff and the dive centre is brilliant thanks to the dive team and divemaster Erik in particular (many many thanks for taking me out for my second dive late in the day enabling me to qualify as an Open Water Diver and spend the rest of my time diving with my already qualified girlfriend during our holiday). Really appreciated!

Minor gripes: you may well be awoken by the dawn chorus of drums and music on occasion but you get that all over the island (it's part of the charm of Bali).

If you do a shore dive from the resort go early or ask to go down the road to the fishing village if it is your first dive because it can get VERY rough once the wind gets up making getting into and out of the water very difficult.

In essence though: a stunning place (a few pictures included) and well worth all the really good reviews it gets here. I would happily go back next year no problem at all.

Fabulous!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
jarrow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

August 2012 : First time in Bali and i was blown away by the resort, the friendliness of all the staff, the quality of the food, in fact the whole package.
Alam Anda resort provided everything i could have wished for in a paradise holiday.
Madi and Nyeoman behind bar were fantastic, nothing was too much bother to them and they were good for a laugh.
Although i didn't dive myself, my wife and step daughter did and they enjoyed it immensely.
The resort itself was keep immaculate at all times and the rooms were spacious and comfortable.
The dive centre staff were excellent and very professional.
All in all a very good holiday!!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper then choose a room away from the sea as the waves can be a little noisy a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hilversum, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This was over 3rd time at the Alam Anda (previous visits in 2007 and 2005), and fortunately, the new owner (Werner Lau dive operations) has maintained the essence of the old place. There are more rooms now (we stayed in one of the very nice and spacious Deluxe Garden Bungalows with 3 people), but since there is a huge garden area which the rooms are situated in, it never feels crowded. The setting within the garden (which is full of palm trees, bushes, hedges) and right next to the sea is the feature which makes this place special - it is completely submerged in nature. The full benefir you will get if you are a diver (and most visitors come here for scuba diving), because you can then also explore the underwater world. There are some very nice dive sites close to the resort (US liberty wreck, Angel Canyon), and there are frequent dive trips to other sites in Bali. The dive base is run extremely well, the guides are fantastic. But even if you are not a diver, you cannot help to be fascinated by the 'nature factor' here. It is safe to swim and snorkel in the ocean, but there is no sand beach.
The kitchen offers a wide variety of dishes - I had 9 different dishes over 5 days for lunch and diner, and was extremely pleased with the quality. There is also flexibility in terms of amount (half-portion) and way of preparation (without meat, less spicy, etc). You can eat here for 3 weeks straight and will not get bored.
The resort is a little of the beaten path, and while you can visit the local market and take a few walks, you will mostly need to rely on organized tours if you want to explore a bit of Bali. These tours are offered, but they are not necessarily cheap. The same goes for transportation from and to the airport, and if you can, try to organize transport on your own.
In summary, this is a fantastic operation, in a beautiful setting. The new manager, Bettina, and all the other staff are super-attentive, and I truely hope the place is kep as it is for our next visit!

Room Tip: If you do not mind the sound of the waves, the oceanfront sea-bungalows are closest to the sea and y...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I spent five nights at Alam Anda Dive & Spa Resort. The entire resort is situated in a beautiful, huge garden that is kept perfectly neat by the local gardener. It's nice every day to walk to and from reception, restaurant, and dive base and see the flowers, the well kept grass, and the nice typically balinese statues that are present in various locations.

I booked the transfer to and from Alam Anda with the resort which is a very convenient way of getting there. Coming from the south (Canggu), the drive over the mountains past Kintamani offers breathtaking views of the volcanoes and Lake Batur and is a great way of getting an impression of this part of the island.

Any service provided by the hotel is very professional and everyone in the team does a great job. All parts of the hotel run like clockwork.

I stayed at Beach bungalow nbr. 8 which is located down the far end from reception, next to the villa Lumba Lumba. It was just perfect. The room was always kept very clean, and the semi open air bathroom was spotless too. The air condition works well and is quiet enough to keep it on during the night. I loved listening to waves any time of the day, and the view of the sunrise right from the terrace was impressive. I also very much enjoyed the little lounging area on the terasse itself, it's great for reading a book at night, or to just chill out any time of the day.

The service in the bar and the restaurant was always great. The breakfast buffet had everything on it one would expect. The a la carte menu offered a wide choice from traditional asian dishes, european ones, as well as a great list of snacks and appetizers. I always went for either traditional balinese, or traditional indonesian dishes and was impressed with every meal I had. I especially recommend the balinese chicken called Ayam Betutu, or the traditional indonesian Nasi Goreng with shrimps. The sandwiches from the snack section are great for a light lunch, I'd especially recommend the tuna baguette which comes with fried pieces of tuna fillets in side, still a bit warm - yummy!
I often started the evening with a drink at the bar before going for dinner. The chats with Nyoman & Made, the guys from the bar, were always truly entertaining and very interesting, make sure you pay them a few visits whilst you're there!

The dive center seemed very well run to me, and the renting equipment was in good order and all worked very well. The guides are lovely. I am a rather inexperienced diver and always felt very well taken care off and looked after. The house reef is superb. The local boat trips offer great opportunities to explore the surrounding dive spots, and the day trips give you a great opportunity to visit dive sites that are a bit further away, even as far as Nusa Penida or Menjangan. I did two day trips to Tulamben. One to the Liberty Wreck & Coral Garden, the other to Batu Kelebit & the Drop Off. Both of them are truly recommendable. The trips were very well organized and well run. Erich & the guides do a great job! The way Erich introduced me to the dive center in the first place, ran thru my log book with me, and then gave me his recommendations regarding which diving activity I should participate in was truly invaluable to me. The hints and tips I got from the guides as well as the fellow divers helped me learn a lot and I truly profited from every dive. Never a negative sentiment about a novice being part of the group, but always the offer to help and share experience. A great thanks goes to everyone I got in contact with, you were really cool!

Dear Bettina, Erich & the entire Team: It was great to meet all of you. You run a great hotel resort and I enjoyed each and every minute I stayed at your place. I truly hope to be back one day. Despite of me traveling alone, I never felt anything like lonely. I'll never forget how you invited me to your table at dinner, which I truly appreciated!

Take care you all, all the best, and hopefully see you 'round.

Best regards
Andy

Room Tip: I recommend the beach front bungalow to anyone who looks having a great view over the open sea from...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have visited Bali quite a few times over the last few years, and by far, Alam Anda is my favorite place.This time around I celebrated my BD by surprising my partner and mom with a trip to Bali and a stay at this amazing resort. We had two bungalows by the water, and it was perfect in every sense of the word. Because of flight delays we didn’t get there to well after 1 AM, but we were warmly greeted by staff that was on the lookout for us. They still had the BD dinner and cake that had been arranged before hand standing by, and our first meal at Alam Anda, in the dead of the night with the sounds of the ocean right there…was simply fantastic. The food, in fact, is one of the great things about Alam Anda, as it is really quite good, and I can promise you that there’s enough variety on the menu that if you’re a foodie like us, you’ll really enjoy yourself.

The interior of the bungalows are simple, but very roomy and comfy. There’s a ‘cuddle area’ outside which is really a great place to…well cuddle, with your loved one while listening to the sounds of the ocean. It's a great nook to just relax in, especially late at night.The resort itself is quite large, although you never have the feeling of being crowded, as things are spread out quite nicely. One of my primary objectives was for the ladies to enjoy themselves completely, and I had arranged some spa time for them. They both loved the treatment and pampering, and my mom was especially blown away by the experience and weeks later she’s still talking about.

One of the things I love most about this place is the location. It’s far from the party, drink-until-you pass-out crowds in Dempesaar. You won’t find that ‘spring break’ party attitude at this resort. AIam Anda is upscale and elegant, and really quite far from the deafening crowds. I actually feel kind of sorry for those who go and stay only in Dempesar and think that that is the ‘real’ Bali, as that’s hardly the case.

Although I am a hardcore scuba diver, and Alam Anda is a actually a divers resort, I did not dive with them. I can say however, that the dive facilities are first rate and well maintained. If you bring your own equipment you’ll be able to take good care of everything.

Overall, everything was perfect, and I was able to accomplish my goal of giving the two ladies in my life a really nice experience. The local staff was especially fantastic and friendly, and I loved the way they looked after them, especially my mother. I could go on and on, but the final call is that I really love that place…and plan to return in the very near future, (in fact this was the second visit for my partner and I). If you’re looking for a totally cool and laid back place…as a diver, or non-diver, then Alam Anda is a truly great choice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Witham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

This was our second stay at this resort - but this time we took some non-diving friends. We had the top room/villa - Lumba Lumba - and our friends said that they felt like they had won the lottery when they surveyed the villa, and said they would place the resort well into their top five hotels. We all enjoyed the food (tasty and we thought very reasonably priced); The Spa was tranquility itself and the massages were divine; The staff were friendly, helpful and happy, and they go a long way to making the resort the place it is. A special mention for the gardeners who keep the gardens looking fantastic. Bintang Beer - great, and the ladies loved the cocktails. Bettina - don't change anything! The whole place is a great credit to you!

From the divers point of view, I pay the highest compliment by saying that the dive operation at Alam Anda is one of the most efficient and helpful that we've experienced. The guides did their job well by helping us to locate wildlife that we may have struggled to find, instead of constantly asking us how much air we had left. If you are an experienced diver, that's very important. You want to be treated up to your level, not down to the lowest common denominator. The diving itself is great, and this trip gave us the feeling that this was why we learned to dive 20 years ago! Trawling through our 1500 photos at the moment. It's a photographers delight, especially if you like your macro! Eric and Martin, you have a great dive centre!

Yes, it's a longish trip from the sirport on Bali....but well worth it to be away from the more frequented tourist areas in the south.

One small word of warning. Not about the resort/staff, etc., but more to do with the roads and driving. Don't expect western style driving in Bali! The driving by our standards is eccentric, and sometimes rather scary and we thought dangerous. How there are not more accidents I really cannot answer! Avoid driving anything yourself!

Room Tip: To be honest the higher category of room have quiter aspects, but the resort is not a noisy one so t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Alam Anda Ocean Front Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!