“Lovely laid back atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Stockholm
“Lovely laid back atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We've been to Live Bait several times over the years. It is still as nice as ever (Dec 20) - this year it was actually much better than the adult sister Harbour House in the same building!
Sincere and tasty food (although they could do with a little more salt and spice!), large enough portions, very relaxed and friendly yet efficient service. The manager (head waitress?) Michelle walks the extra mile to give you excellent service and keeps and eagle eye on every detail. We decided to come back the following evening (Dec 21) and despite the fact that they were fully booked, Michelle arranged a table for us and took the time reply to questions and give us recommendations as to our forthcoming stay in Western Cape.
We'll definitely come back on our next trip!

Cape Town
“Needs to wake up”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant several times and always found it good. But things were not good at all on the evening of Sunday 22nd. The service was incredibly slow and it's no good if the four dishes ordered arrive at different times with long gaps between. I had calamari which I've had before. When it finally arrived it was tasteless - not good enough LIve Bait!
It's only the wonderful setting that made it a worthwhile visit

PS The gents' toilet could do with an occasional clean too!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Eynsford, United Kingdom
“Stunning views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Live Bait is situated at the end of the Kalk Bay harbour so enjoys stunning views out to the ocean or back to the town, seals often can be seen swimming outside and when the weather is rough it can be quite dramatic. On this trip we have been there twice and had good fresh fish and good service, whilst this is not the best restaurant in town it well worth a vist.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Service appalling. Desperate need of a new manager!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I took our 2 children for an early dinner on Monday 16th December. The kids got their food fairly soon but the rest of the service was an absolute joke. It is the first time that I have felt truly justified in not giving a tip.
Firstly, we did not get any bread on our table and had to ask for some which was quite a task as our waitress completely ignored us. Then after we had to ask where our sushi order was after the kids had already finished eating she just said that she had 'forgot' but had intended on putting through the order. We had to ask someone else to clear the table after dirty plated sat there for 15 minutes. The service was all around shocking. The ambience there is always lovely and the food that eventually arrived for my husband and I was excellent. We did try and order the Malva pudding and were told that there was no more custard. No apology.
I will go back again but I appeal to owner to replace the manager. I have been frequented Live Bait for 10 years.To be honest she does not look well and reflects badly on the establishment. She looks like she's on some type of narcotic and is not well suited to deal with customers or problems which may arise. Leadership desperately needed. Especially in season. If I were to book I would ask for an experienced waitress or else your visit will be spoiled.

Chicago, Illinois, Usa
“Excellent Food with a great view of Kalk Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We were coming back from Cape of Good Hope and decided to stop at Live Bait as a number of people recommended this place.

Both of us ordered the Crayfish and it was fantastic!

For dessert, we shared the Malva Pudding. This is now one of my favorite desserts.

The view of the ocean was great.

The service was also great.

A very enjoyable experience!!!

I would recommend this place to seafood lovers who want excellent seafood, a very comfortable dining experience and a great ocean view at a mid range price.

• Visited October 2013