“Quite simply arbennig dros ben!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dolserau Hall Hotel

You added Dolserau Hall Hotel to your Saves list
Dolserau Hall Hotel
Dollgellau | Gwynedd, Brithdir, Snowdonia National Park, Dolgellau LL40 2AG, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brithdir
Carmarthenshire
“Quite simply arbennig dros ben!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

Reading the few negative reviews, I cannot but wonder if these people were really guests at the same hotel as us! We have stayed three times at Dolserau, are looking forward to further visits and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet, get away from it all break in the most beautiful Welsh landscape.

Tim and Susan are most gracious hosts. I could hardly believe the comment one reviewer wrote about Tim "standing in the middle of the lounge and pontificating loudly". Tim is one of th friendliest people I have ever met and it makes a welcome change these days to get a really personal service. If anyone objects to the host "pontificating" loudly or otherwise in his own hotel, I suggest they go to one of the big chain hotels and "enjoy" the impersonal and often positively miserable service offered there.

Each time we have stayed at Dolserau, the accommodation, the service and the food has got even better, as Tim and Susan add little refinements and improvements.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRMCUMSTANCES visit Dolserau if you are looking for a swish boutique hotel with loud music, cocktails and up to the minute contemporary decor. If you are looking for good old fashioned personal service, excellent value for money, extremely friendly and immensely helpful hosts and delightful, luxurious but comfortably homely surroundings in THE most peaceful and beautiful area then Dolserau will not
disappoint you.

Tim and Susan ........... if you read this, please do not change anything you do at Dolserau. I'm sure it must be quite hurtful to read such personally insulting comments, but I sincerely believe that those who have left such comments are a tiny minority. We have chatted to many other guests when we have stayed at Dolserau and everyone we have ever spoken to agrees that you are both part of what makes a stay at Dolserau such a wonderful experience. Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi.

• Liked — beautifully quiet rooms (especially those in the coach house)
  • Disliked — Maybe the decor in some rooms is dated, but this is gradually being addressed and improves each time we have visited
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

I stayed here with my partner for a brief getaway in August. My favourite things about the hotel were the food which I thought was excellent, It is also in a great location, beautiful, peacful and near so many things to do. A great base to climb Cadir Adris, cycle to Barmouth or enjoy one of the many lovely walks.

The staff there are also very friendly and helpful. Some reviewers noted that it can be slightly regimented for example I wanted to go straight into the restuarant as we had a pre-booked table, however they insisted I go first to the bar and order there (I did wonder if this was to encourage everyone to buy additional drinks). The restuarant is not cheap however for the quality of the food I thought it was great value (particularly with the guest discount) and the bar prices were reasonable (although no draught beers which is a shame). The rooms all seem to have good views and are well maintained.

Overall had a great time and would go again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stourbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

We have just returned from our latest holiday at Dolserau Hall. We have been visiting since 2006, sometimes 3 times a year. The hotel has changed ownership during that time and the new owners have continued to provide the relaxed, very welcoming atmosphere while making additions which have enhanced our stay. The ambience of the hotel encourages guests to stay in the very comfortable lounges when the Welsh rain pours down. You never feel you are in the way. Lunch can be ordered at the ring of the bell. Afternon tea, provided free of charge, is very welcome. especially the cakes! The rooms are very clean, with everything you could want. The new bathrooms have added a touch of luxury. The service is excellent. Being a small hotel you get to know the staff. All are friendly and attentive to everyones needs. The hotel provides excellent value for money. From the range of fresh fruits at breakfast, and the varied and beautifully cooked evening meal to the facilities provided in the rooms. We look forward to many more visits to Dolserau. Some already booked for this year! We would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to get away for a relaxing break in a very beautiful and quiet part of Wales.

• Liked — Can,t single out one thing
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Bury, Lancs
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

Whilst agreeing with many of the positives written about the setting of Dolserau Hall, I must join with one of your correspondents who sensed "something strange" & another who simply disliked the experience.
My wife & I met another couple there for what was to be a relaxing & luxurious weekend break. In the end it turned out to be an over priced fiasco.
At Dalserau Hall you will have a wonderful time - providing that you are prepared to conform to ALL of Tim's petty little rules. If you dare to step out of line, then "Tim, nice but dim" transforms into a raging parody of Basil Faulty.
It started when my friend's wife asked for our sparkling wine to be served in champagne glasses. We were told by a staff member that "Susan says that we must serve sparkling wine in wine glasses."
Tim, who likes to stand in the middle of his lounges & pontificate in an intrusively loud voice, then announced , " my bar sales are down, you people are just not buying enough drink".
Later, when it was time to order dinner, we were told that the main course that we wanted, Welsh lamb,was no longer avaiable. When questioned , Tim told us that that they take orders for dinner strictly in the order in which people arrive in the lounge for pre-dinner drinks. The chef guesses how many of each meal will be ordered & when he guesses wrongly - tough luck - it's your fault for not arriving in time!
During the following meal, we were presented with a DIY peppermill which was empty & a dessert which was not as described on the menu.
After having the temerity to politely bring these ommissions to the attention of the staff, we were accosted by & shouted at by Tim who told us that he'd "had enough of you people & would be glad to see the back of us."
Had this been earlier in the evening , we would have left that night.
On the positive,I would like to compliment Nicola who was on reception when we checked out. She was very pleasant & helpful.

• Liked — Sopme of the staff were very friendly.
  • Disliked — One of our 2 rooms was very small & cramped.
  • Stayed July 2008
Solihull UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

Most of what could be said about this excellent hotel has already been said, so I'll just emphasise a few points.
The building has real character and is set in a lovely valley which is so peaceful.
The quality of the accommodation is first class, as is the service from the friendly staff.
Evening menu was excellent, and the food more than compensated for the awful piped music. Yes, it is a little formal and hushed but if that keeps families with noisy children away, that's a small price to pay !
The fresh fruit choice and quality at breakfast was superb, probably one of the best I've seen in this country.
Can't wait to go back !

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Music in dining room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Merseyside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

We meet up with another couple of friends for a short break in spring. This year, we chose Dolserau Hall, partly due to its location in a pleasant valley, reasonably near to both the Talyllyn and Ffestiniog Railways. Both the location and the Hotel exceeded our best expectations.

Other reviewers have praised the decor, the food and the nearby country walks, so I will only amplify their comments:-

Our two "standard " second floor rooms in the main building were both large, in excellent decorative state (as was the rest of the building), well equipped and, unlike many hotels, in full working order. For about 30 minutes, around 7.00, morning and night, we could hear the loft water tank refilling, presumably due to other guests running baths. Otherwise, the only sound was beautiful birdsong, coming from the wooded parkland and hillside, comprising the view from our windows

Food and wine was generally of the standard expected in a good hotel. However the quantity and variety of fresh fruit available on the breakfast side table was remarkable. My wife, who loves fruit, would have liked to stay much longer, for this alone.

Afternoon tea is now unusual but is provided here on a complimentary basis. On the one day we arrived in time, we enjoyed it thoroughly.

All the staff were friendly and efficient, albeit at a fairly leisurely pace, but bar service did appear to terminate after dinner, except by special request. The other guests were quiet, by our standards, and we are all 60+++! I would not go expecting lively evenings in the bar, unless your group provides its own, reasonably restrained, entertainment

• Liked — Location, Spacious room, Food quality
  • Disliked — Difficult to find from main road.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bucks, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

Dolserau Hall is a wonderful gem of a hotel in a beautiful corner of Wales. The welcome is relaxed and friendly, the service professional,
and the food good to very good. Some reviewers have noted that the hotel is a bit dated and many of the guests "of a certain age". Whilst true, this in my view doesn't detract from the experience. I stayed here recently with my 14 year old daughter, and slightly to my
surprise she pronounced herself entirely contented with her one night
stop (although I suspect she might have been bored with a longer stay).

The hotel's location is excellent, being not far from Cadair Idris and near to the town of Dolgellau, although in a very peaceful and tranquil spot . The decor and style of the hotel is a bit dated, yes;
but that is the whole point: it is the very antithesis of the impersonal chrome and glass of the modern city hotel. Dated perhaps, but certainly not scruffy or run down, and everything is very clean and well organised. I understand the owners are planning to update certain aspects of the hotel, hopefully they won't spoil its special ambience.

The staff are all friendly, experienced and most importantly of all good at their jobs; I recognised many of them from a previous visit a year earlier...always a good sign! They are also very helpful if you want tips on places to visit etc. I noticed that most of them also spoke Welsh when dealing with Welsh speaking residents.

There are a lot of nice small touches, from the decanter of sherry in each bedroom to the envelope provided to enable you to leave any gratuities anonymously should you wish.

Dinner (4 courses) is table d'hote, with a choice of 4 mains (1 of which is vegetarian). Not a massive choice, but then it is a small hotel and a small choice always gives me more confidence that the food is fresh. If you choose cheese rather than dessert you can help yourself from a fairly decent selection, increasingly rare these days. The wine list is reasonably priced, although if I had a slight criticism I would say a bit unimaginative. The only other thing I found a bit grating was the piped music.

All in all an ideal place to come back to after a day's mountain walking for a hot bath and good relaxing meal in a beautiful setting and with traditional service and decor.

• Liked — Just about everything
  • Disliked — Piped music
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dolserau Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!