“Really disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Really disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Far better places to stay in the area. This place is a bar.grill with a couple of rooms. It has no internet as advertised and no mobile signal and the TVs don't work. Not geared up for business people at all. When they say breakfast served from 8am they mean this is the time the staff turn up. I never got my breakfast as by 8.05 had to leave. When I complained the owner was just not interested. Waiting for a copy of my bill as querying all the charges added on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Caerdydd
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I so wanted to give this place a great write-up. It has recently been re-opened by a local couple and offers a venue of real quality for the area. However, for the price charged, it was simply not up to scratch. Sometimes, it's the little things that make a difference and as examples, they offered a newspaper service but there was no delivery (I had to jump in the car to get my own), I asked for an iron and board and was promised one but again-a no show. However, this was nothing of particular significance but when we booked a table for an evening meal as part of the package, we had to wear jumpers because it was so cold (the doors were open because of a fireworks party). Then to our disappointment, we were only shown the 'specials' menu when ordering dessert, restricting us to the pub food menu for the first 2 courses. If we had paid pub room prices, then we would have been happy with the service but we did not, which is the problem. The young staff were very hard working and helpful, but were overwhelmed by the firework bash and could not match the service that was promised, that we paid for. The room was fitted out to an exceptional standard but again, I did not expect to see stains on the carpet and cobwebs hanging on the wooden beams. They also offered free wifi but try as I did, there was no signal anywhere in the premise. On the plus side, the staff really did try very hard and were extremely courteous, the atmosphere in the bar was local and warm and the views are truly jaw dropping (snow tipped mountain peaks etc), but my advice for a quiet stay is to go when there is no party lined up. I suspect that we picked the wrong weekend for a quiet night away on our wedding anniversay, but as it is the only night we get away from the kids in the year, I was disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dolgellau, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have eaten at Cross Foxes on several occasions - all of them at lunchtime. Last week, my friend and I ate there again. I could not fault the food nor the service but the young lady who took our order and who served at the bar seemed indifferent. There were only a few people in the restaurant when we arrived and gave our order but the welcome she gave us was impersonal. Later, the proprietor appeared - smiling, welcoming and full of warmth, as usual. He and his lovely wife deserve to do well - and I don't envy them in their quest to find suitable staff .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

What a lovely stay we had here. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was very cozy and decorated nicely. The bed was comfortable, nice and relaxing. All soft white linen. The bathroom was very modern with a nice shower, with extra massaging jets, great for chilling out. Lovely soft towels and Thierry Mugler bath products. The food we had was very nice and the breakfast was good as well. Surrounded by absolutely breathtaking scenery. Lovely open log fires and lovely ambiance sets the scene for a lovely romantice break away. Would definitely go back and stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We just arrived home after an amazing long weekend at the cross foxes. Our
dinner, bed and breakfast package staying in the suite was a real treat and
value for money!

I had to write straight away as we can't say a bad thing as, as soon as we
arrived to when we left the service, food, ambiance all accommodation (suite) was
just brilliant it's so rare to get the whole package in one place but at the
Cross foxes you have all managed it!

When we arrived we were given fresh milk for our room for a cuppa to unpack,
help to store our mountain bikes, a real welcome.

The 3 course meal each night was delicious as was the breakfasts.

The staff always happy to help and really looked like they wanted to be
there, nothing was to much.

A spacious room and immaculate ,the duvet just like a huge marshmallow!

A deep bath with a Baileys soothed our mountain biking aches and bath robes and slippers a welcome too!

Beautiful views too! (Just one thing we would have liked was a mini fridge)

We would highly recommend for sure and we will be back.

Thank you to you all the staff we saw and the kitchen staff, cleaning we
didn't.

Customer service does exist thank you for restoring our faith and making our
stay so welcoming and even more than we could have hoped for !

On negative notes I have seen on a review, I would agree the kitchen smell did come through our window, when we opened it but i have to say it was slight and smelt amazing thus giving us an apatite! Although based on a busy road, it was still quiet and we felt we were the only ones staying as it was so quiet however it was full! As our room had a separate door to our main bedroom door, so no bagging of doors etc.

We could also see they have a cot and plenty of extra beds for extra guest to give that extra bit of money for value to a family or friends!

Don't delay! Good Food Guide, thank you!

Room Tip: We chose a suite for a bit more space to stretch in, comfy sofa and larger area for relaxing. And th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

On arrival we were greeted by welcoming and friendly staff, the attic studio was large, cosy, stylish with a luxurious ensuite bathroom and luxury bath products which really added to the whole experience after tiring travelling. You could see the mountains from the bathroom velux window. While making a cup of tea I noticed the main road outside but was unaware of traffic noise. We closed the small shutters at night and did not hear any traffic noise at all, we were cocooned in luxury in a very comfortable bed with starry views from the overhead velux window.
Watched TV in comfort before going out for an evening meal in Dolgellau, only 5 mins away, the receptionist checked that we wouldn't get locked out on our return later on. Breakfast was excellent with friendly service. The whole experience was very relaxing and felt like a luxury getaway.Only negatives were that I couldn't find the ipod dock and there is a large beam above the bed just above head level that you might want to avoid if you are a restless sleeper.

Room Tip: Attic studio (Cader) is worth the extra charge
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Having stayed in 'Moel' one night last weekend, I wanted to write a honest and fair review as there are so many mixed opinions about this place.

When we arrived, our check in details had gone astray and so had most of the room keys, so we were given a master key. The man behind the bar said he would come and collect this from us, but we were never asked for it back, so we had it for the duration of our stay, rather trusting as I assume it would've worked with any of the locks!

The room itself was fine - 'Moel' is spacious and does have a luxurious bathroom but there were several stains on the carpets, bed throw and scatter cushions which was a little off-putting. We were aware of the hotel's location (being on the corner of two major A roads) but we were surprised to see that the windows were only single-glazed, which meant that the traffic noise was very noticeable. Although it quietened down at night, I was aware of any traffic passing by, and was awoken several times. Unless you are a very heavy sleeper, make sure you are in one of the rooms further away from the road.

Dinner was fine - (decent 'pub grub'), but I had to send back my main course as it was only luke warm and noticed that several other diners had done the same. There was also rather a delay to the food, even the desserts. I appreciate it was busy night and everything is cooked to order, but there are a number of complaints about this on tripadivisor going back some months. I assume that they do not have adequate kitchen staff or that the kitchen is just too small to cope with the number of covers - the table next to us waited 20 minutes for some garlic bread! One of the waiting staff was rather brusque (I hope this is not the owner as decribed elsewhere) - there appeared to be a mushroom shortage, and when a fellow diner queried the lack on his plate, her response was very defensive rather than apologetic.

Breakfast was ok - again, porridge could've been hotter and the croissants were rather disappointing (definitely croissant-like breaded items as opposed to the real thing).

I would not return to the Cross Foxes - considering the costs of the room and dinner, you can do much better elsewhere, as proven by our subsequent night at a small hotel in Aberdovey. It cost exactly the same but the service was far more welcoming and personal, and the room was much better equippped (i.e. bathrobes, free slippers, biscuits in the room), as well as being in a lovely location with sea views!

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, the smaller rooms are further away from the road
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cross Foxes - Bar Grill Rooms? Share your experiences!