“Lovely lunch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Source

The Source
Moorilla Estate Winery | 655 Main Road, Berriedale, Glenorchy, Tasmania, Australia
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Berriedale
Cuisines: Australian
“Lovely lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

As it poured with rain outside we had a lovely lunch overlooking the Derwent river. Food was great, needed a little explaining but the waiter was excellent. Food was tasty, could have been a little but bigger in size. The waygu tongue & mackerel was delicious. Well presented. Great wine list.

sydney
“Slightly let down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

i have agonised over writing this as our previous visits were faultless. We had a pavilion and booked dinner in Source, it was disappointing. At night you miss the nice view but the main problem was the service. Four choices for main course fish, fish, duck or rabbit. OK get over it. One waiter appeared constantly on the verge of tears so his co workers took up the slack but the end result was disjointed and off putting, there were mixups with wine and food and we felt it was our fault. We spotted staff tippling between service and returning decanted wines to the bottles (possibly for the nearby tasting bar?) We were treating family from overseas, and it was embarrassing after our earlier enthusiasm. Thank goodness breakfast was perfect.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane
“What a shame, could have been great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Pity some of the arrogant young twats working there ruined what should have been a great experience. Yes fantastic setting, yes well presented food, great taste. I felt sorry for the chef as he he had to yell out for staff to serve us as we wanted to settle the bill. I'd like to be able to recommend it, but I can't.
Beware, the prices of the wines are off the planet.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney
“Very memorable lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Views are amazing . Food and service excellent
Suprisingly economical compared to Sydney prices

Sydney
“Everything I could hope for in a meal except the price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I've been looking forward to coming here for a number of years and my expectations weren't let down. The decor is smart and modern but the views take pride of place. Service was attentive but without smothering. Nothing was too much trouble whenever we asked about how a dish was prepared or where the food was sourced...if our waiter didn't know he would find out from the chef. The sommelier ran a wonderful wine card...over two pages just for Pinot noir alone...and his knowledge was amazing without being stuffy or pretentious. My entre of jack mackerel with pickled vegetables, sea water jelly and wasabi cream was tasty but I felt it needed more of the vegetables to balance the oiliness of the mackerel. I felt there was really a little too much jelly that didn't contribute enough. My partner's spanner crab with fois GRAS cubes, smoked oyster and pedro ximinez jelly was tasty and nicely presented. My main of rabbit done 3 ways was absolutely delicious with some of the most delicate flavours I've ever noticed in this meat. Yes it is still strongly flavoured but not gamey - definitely something I'd try again. My partner's fish dish of Striped Trumpeter was perfectly cooked and equally delicious. Desert, however, blew us away. Not even listed on the menu, the raspberry dish was an in-season product of the day. The flavours were so intense and beautiful. The presentation was equally elegant and appealing. I still don't know what the crackles were in the dish but it was pleasantly surprising too. All in all it was everything we could want in a fine meal. While it may have been a tad expensive, I wouldn't have expect to find any better in Sydney or Melbourne. The only minor fault was that the Riesling wine we had was served too cold, so we had to wait a while for it to warm up and present more flavours.