“Amazing staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort

You added Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort to your Saves list
Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort
Jalan Anggrek Luar #23 | Baloi Persero, Riau Islands Province 29442, Indonesia   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sugi Island
Singapore
“Amazing staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We just returned from our 3 night stay at Telunas. It was everything we had hoped for - a quiet vacation where my young kids could connect with nature. We stayed at the Beach Resort and I was glad we chose to stay there (instead of the Private Island). The atmosphere was low-key and the beach was perfect for my kids to play and explore. The water is calm and shallow and the beach is long so we could spend many hours swimming, playing in the sand and searching for ocean wildlife. But the part that made our visit so extraordinary was the staff. You could tell that they LOVE Telunas and they want their guests to love it too. Our host, Jonas, enthusiastically attended to all our needs and all the staff happily held my 3 month old baby so the rest of my family could eat and play. The other part of our stay that I really appreciated is that I could tell Telunas was committed to responsible tourism (both towards the environment and the local people). They provide fresh drinking water so we didn't have to use so many plastic water bottles. They spent time teaching us about local sustainable fishing techniques. And it was clear during our island tour of the nearby village, that they support the local people in very responsible ways. We didn't have anyone begging us for money or trying to sell us anything during our trip to the nearby village. The people were warm and welcoming and did not harass their visitors.

My only complaint and the only thing preventing me from going back frequently is that I felt the cost of all the "extras" was too high. The room has bed space for 4 people, but you have to pay extra for more than 2 guests in the room. The boat trip was really nice, but $85/per person seems like a lot for the simple boat. The food was good, but perhaps not worth $50/per person a day. We would have loved to do more of the activities (jungle trekking, kayaking, etc...) but this would have cost us a couple hundred dollars more. For a once in a life time amazing vacation I was willing to pay it, but I won't be able to do a weekend trip like this again for a while.

Overall, though, because of the location, the staff and their commitment to responsible tourism, I give Telunas 5 stars!!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed from Nov.30th - Dec 4th. We wanted to try both sides so we got 2 nights at the beach resort and 2 nights at the private island. At first I was worried about not having wi-fi but in the end we had soooo much fun here we forgot all about being connected. As a family we became closer and enjoyed just being together. My two kids 13 yrs and 10 yrs enjoyed the many free activities at the beach resort like, table tennis, badminton, volleyball, soccer, the low ropes obstacle course....They also spent lots of time just relaxing in the hammock, combing the beach looking for crabs etc. They also organized a bonfire and we had marshmallows! Another thing my son really enjoyed was fishing. My husband and kids fished while I relaxed in the dock reading my book. They caught 4 fishes and the kitchen staff even fried it and served it together with our dinner, which the kids really thought was cool. The staff were all really nice and the service was excellent. If you are the adventurous sort and like the outdoors, rustic accomodation this is the place for you. Oh and although the variety was limited we enjoyed the food. For us it was just right. We especially loved the thai chicken, sesame chicken and the apple pie and tarts. There is coffee/tea and water at the canteen whenever you feel like it which was good. Many thanks to all the staff, especially Ami (not sure if the spelling is right) and Yeesa.

Now for the private island.... it was a totally different experience. The sea villa was gorgeous, with in room tea/coffee/milo and a hot/cold water dispenser. The interior was simply beautiful, the view from the balcony was breathtaking. There's nothing more to say I guess than to say that it was PERFECT. The food that chef Surya prepared was absolutely delicious, I think for me, this is what I enjoyed most. hahaha. At the beach resort, the kayaks and paddleboards were charged but over here, you can use it for free for as long as you want. There's a lot of it so you don't have to worry about not having enough to use. My kids kayaked and paddleboard for 3 hours straight I think. They only came back to have their meals and went straight back into the sea or build sandcastles and do fishing again. Every day, they would organize an activity like, a cooking demo, jungle hike, local village tour, kayaking in the mangroves.... We got to go to the local village tour which we all enjoyed. Elsa (our guide) bought us some mangoes and fish crackers there to bring back to Singapore! We enjoyed the tour very much but itt can be quite hot, so better put on lots of sunscreen if you decide to go. We met a few of the staff of Telunas who actually live in this village too. It's nice to know that Telunas is creating jobs and opportunities for the local people. They also have an infinity pool here so my hubby and I just chilled in our deck chairs and watched the kids play at the beach.This is getting long so I'll stop here. Many thanks to everyone who made this trip perfect in every way. We are already planning for March to come back with the in-laws. Special thanks to Elsa and Harry too.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We are glad to have changed our booking from Telunas Beach Resort (highly recommended by friend) to Telunas Private Island (run by same company). Absolutely no regrets! We love nature and serene environment so the Private Island was certainly ideal for us. In fact, my husband was so blown away by the scenery, he took more than 500 photographs during the 4-day 3-night stay. Even though it is a small island, there is much to do - swimming, kayaking, trekking and of course, relaxing and soaking in the scenery, especially the sunrise and sunset. What we like is that we also have access to the beach resort, just minutes away by speedboat. The beach resort adds on more activities to our itinerary - table tennis, beach volleyball, jetty jump and of course, the lovely sandy beach.
The service was very good and the staff very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed chatting with the staff on both the beach resort and private island. It gives me a glimpse of the lives of the locals who work at the resort. Kudos to the owners for employing the locals, giving them a job near their home. A pity we never get to thank the chef for the tasty and un-boring food.
Telunas Private Island is now added to our list of favourite island getaways :)

Room Tip: Each Sea Villa stands on its own with a decent distance from the next, ensuring privacy. Only 15 vil...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We headed to Telunas Beach Resort expecting to spend 2N3D of complete relaxation. The boat trip is very scenic in nice weather. Loved the cottages - very nicely furnished, opened on 2 of the roof sides allowing for natural ventilation, charming balcony. Nice long beach with deck chairs under the trees. The staff were very friendly and they organized a bonfire every evening. If that is what you are looking for, Telunas beach resort is your place.

Several points to note - you cannot engage in activities outside of the resort if not organized by the staff. They organize activities like visiting a local village, jungle trekking, fishing but be prepared that there should be a group for the trip to happen, otherwise it comes very expensive if you are less than 4-5 people. As it is a small resort, the food buffets were very limited compared to what you will find at other tropical resorts. The cottages are close to each other and open on the sides, depending on who stays in the cottage next to you (families with kids, etc.), you may not get such a quiet and peaceful time after all. Also, some people prefer not to go into the water for a reason I won't mention here.

In short, Telunas beach resort can be a paradise experience or not exactly, it all depends on what you expect and what your priorities are.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dave S, Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi Thalia12,

Thanks so much for your review and my apologies about my delayed response. We've been busy planning for 2015 and with the rush of the holiday season, I'm playing a bit of catch up.

First of all, thanks as well for your helpful (and quite objective I think) perspective on your time at our Beach Resort. I appreciated all you noted and absolutely agree with you -- so much of a successful stay at our Beach Resort has to do with priorities and expectations.

On our end, our hope is that our simple Beach Resort will continue to be an affordable, beautiful getaway for those who'd like a break from the hecticness of life and who would like to reconnect with their loved ones, new friends, nature, themselves. etc.

Here are a few additional thoughts per your comments that might help.
* Extra off-location activities -- yes, while swimming, volleyball, ping pong, jetty jumping, etc., are free, there are other activites (e.g., local village trip, jungle hike, etc.) take more resources and so are an extra charge for Beach Resort guests
* Simple choice buffet meals - I too think that the buffet family style meal selection is definitely more limited than you'd see at a resort that had, for example, a la carte options; our Private Island is more the place to go for those whom for example, prefer 3-4 main course options for dinner
* Chalets proximity -- our chalets are ~8 meters from each other but given the quiet of the water and given the traditional construction, noisy neighbors next door can be obtrusive. Please know that our staff would be happy to speak to neighbors about sound levels in the future
* Water -- I'm intrigued and would love to reconnect - stay@telunasresorts.com - on this as most people love the water at Telunas Beach?

Anyways, thanks again for both staying with us and taking the time to write a review. We hope we have the chance to host you and your family again whenever you're ready for another weekend away -- truly, our team would definitely be thrilled to help.

Cheers,
Dave
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had a fabulous time at Telunas with our 2.5yo and 10mo, initially I was worried about the boat trip and what we would do all day as they're so young but the simplicity of Telunas is what makes it so special. We really got to appreciate our children without distractions and they loved the beach, splashing in the sea, chasing crabs, playing in the sand and looking for monkeys. Not to mention checking out the fish haul, kayaking, the bonfire and trying new foods. The boat trip there was great, so noisy they both slept, thank goodness. Also we really enjoyed the food, particularly the local options which were delicious, as was the french toast!! Special thanks to William, Sunti and Amsal who were great with the kids and made the stay so lovely. We cannot wait to go back.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I write this with a heavy heart, and not because I am unhappy with the place.

On the contrary, I was very satisfied and glad I took the leap of faith. My girlfriend and I had an enjoyable and an altogether too-short 3D2N at Telunas, We would have stayed one more night if only the vacancy existed.

Here's what we liked, and hopefully this will help you, fellow traveller, to make your decision.

Seclusion is the key word here. Imagine living the secluded life of an Indon fisherman, except with modern facilities like hot showers, a comfy bed, and of course, an army of staff to cater to your needs. The staff-to-guest ratio is more than comfortable, and we were pampered in particular by this dear man William, who got us whatever we asked for and always had an answer to our questions. The other staff were generally helpful, warm and polite too.

Having no Wifi is amazing, by the way. I highly recommend it.

As for the food, I think they have probably improved from whenever it was that their food was barely passable. It wasn't exactly Michelin starred cuisine, but heck, you're on an island and there's not much other choice of food. We had burritos on the first night, which was quite cool, and the subsequent meals were at least a 6/10. I would have liked to see more local fare, though, as I felt the food was catered more towards the Western palate.

One thing I'm not sure about, though, is the rationale for the early boat ride back, since the checkout timing is 12pm. Having an 11am or 12pm boat back would allow us to enjoy the place a little more, instead of rushing to wake up, pack, eat and leave.

As for activities, I'll have to admit that we didn't do much except relax by the beach or on our balcony. Here's a tip: go with someone you like. If you go with someone you dislike, this would be a very long stay indeed ;)

Thank you, Telunas, for giving us an enjoyable holiday :)

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

My family had a great time at Telunas. My kids (3 yrs and 6 yrs) loved the novelty of sleeping in a cabin over the water. They also loved hunting for crabs on the beautiful beach and fishing off the jetty. The staff were very friendly and would help my kids with any activity they were interested in. We stayed in private chalet C1 which was the farthest out in the water. It was basic, but clean and comfortable. Food was good, the choices were limited, but it is a small resort, they can't offer a lot of variety. My husband and I enjoyed the dishes. The kitchen made my 3 yr old some scrambled eggs the one night that she didn't like the selection. Recommend Telunas if you are looking for a vacation where you disconnect from technology, relax at the beach and enjoy nature!

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort? Share your experiences!