We just returned from our 3 night stay at Telunas. It was everything we had hoped for - a quiet vacation where my young kids could connect with nature. We stayed at the Beach Resort and I was glad we chose to stay there (instead of the Private Island). The atmosphere was low-key and the beach was perfect for my kids to play and explore. The water is calm and shallow and the beach is long so we could spend many hours swimming, playing in the sand and searching for ocean wildlife. But the part that made our visit so extraordinary was the staff. You could tell that they LOVE Telunas and they want their guests to love it too. Our host, Jonas, enthusiastically attended to all our needs and all the staff happily held my 3 month old baby so the rest of my family could eat and play. The other part of our stay that I really appreciated is that I could tell Telunas was committed to responsible tourism (both towards the environment and the local people). They provide fresh drinking water so we didn't have to use so many plastic water bottles. They spent time teaching us about local sustainable fishing techniques. And it was clear during our island tour of the nearby village, that they support the local people in very responsible ways. We didn't have anyone begging us for money or trying to sell us anything during our trip to the nearby village. The people were warm and welcoming and did not harass their visitors.
My only complaint and the only thing preventing me from going back frequently is that I felt the cost of all the "extras" was too high. The room has bed space for 4 people, but you have to pay extra for more than 2 guests in the room. The boat trip was really nice, but $85/per person seems like a lot for the simple boat. The food was good, but perhaps not worth $50/per person a day. We would have loved to do more of the activities (jungle trekking, kayaking, etc...) but this would have cost us a couple hundred dollars more. For a once in a life time amazing vacation I was willing to pay it, but I won't be able to do a weekend trip like this again for a while.
Overall, though, because of the location, the staff and their commitment to responsible tourism, I give Telunas 5 stars!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just 1.5 Hrs from Batam (3+ from Singapore) but a world away, Telunas Resorts has two distinct properties to serve guests seeking rest, relaxation, and fun. Telunas Beach Resort provides "rustic elegance" (i.E., Cozy bed-and-breakfast) while Telunas Private Island provides "simple luxury" (i.E., Comfortable private resort). Built entirely above the water, enjoy Telunas' stunning sea and jungle views and let sea breezes and lapping water ease you to sleep. Facilities: Private Island - 15 sea villas, grand lodge (dining, lounge, etc.); Beach Resort - 10 private chalets, 4 deluxe rooms, 1 multi-family suite, 5 dorms, meeting room, lounge, dining room, private beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Telunas Beach Hotel Sugi Island
- Telunas Beach Hotel Batam
- Telunas Beach Batam
- Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort Indonesia/Sugi Island, Riau Islands