“Great beach getaway!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort

You added Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort to your Saves list
Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort
Jalan Anggrek Luar #23 | Baloi Persero, Riau Islands Province 29442, Indonesia   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sugi Island
Red Hook, New York
“Great beach getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I recently stayed at Teluna's as a quick beach getaway while I was traveling to Singapore, to visit my son who lives there (before all heading off to Japan) . We were myself, my son who lives in Singapore, and my younger son, on the trip. I have to say it was one of the highlights of our entire 3 week trip! We stayed 2 nights there, but I wish it could have been longer. The resort is so beautiful, in a simple laid back sort of way. I loved the more casual atmosphere than you would get at a more ritzy "high end" resort. It was perfect for our desire for a quiet relaxing beach getaway. The room was simple and beautiful, with a lovely little balcony where we could sit and enjoy the gorgeous view with fresh coffee brought to our room each morning, or to enjoy the sunset after dinner. The beach was lovely, quiet and relaxing. We were usually the only ones there. The water was warm and soothing. In addition to swimming and relaxing with a book on the beach, we also enjoyed playing badmitton in the sand, tether ball, and ping pong, and taking a kayak out on the water. At low tide it was fun to take a walk and watch all the little soldier crabs scuttling around on the beach. Meals in the common area, buffet style, felt more like a family party than a dining hall experience. The food was well presented, simple, yet delicious. We enjoyed lingering after dinner with a game of scrabble or cards (provided), before heading back to our room. One night the staff made a bonfire on the beach, where we enjoyed watching the little ones, who were staying at the resort, roasting marshmallows and playing about, and also chatting with some of the other guests and getting to know them. The staff (and owner) were very warm and friendly, and really felt more like friends than workers (especially Yani!). The whole atmosphere was so warm, friendly and inviting, plus relaxing and beautiful, I will always fondly remember our first trip to Indonesia at the beautiful Telunas resort. I hope to get back there some day for a longer stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in C3. A great room with a sweet little balcony overlooking a lovely view of the water and...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We just came back from Telunas Private Beach. Our first trip there and 5th trip to Telunas. Telunas is the only place we can think of if we need to recuperate and get away from our hectic lifestyle.

Food, service, no complaint. As usual, they are excellent! It's good that they serve some of the well known food such as soto ayam, banana crepes to name a few. Portion served to us was just enough. For those with huge appetite, you can always request for a bigger portion.

Bedroom - They are so much bigger with a big balcony lounge and a loft unit; and bed that faces the sea and sunrise. View is spectacular & priceless. Each room is being given on loan a copy of kiddle which has books being down loaded and activities at Telunas.

Massage - I tried the massage and like what the owner said, they are excellent. The masseur has 10 years of experience. Pressure is just right and you don't feel like you are in a torturing chamber. Give it a go as pricing is reasonable. Will definitely do the 90 minutes massage. Point to be take note - Do book early upon your arrival as her schedule is packed.

As we missed fishing at our usual spot, it's good that they ferry us over and we still can get to do the usual things across the island. We took a 20 minutes walk on the juggle track and the view was good.

We will given a card to thank us for our stay there upon check out which is a very nice gesture,

This will definitely not be our final trip, more to go. In fact when our children arrives from UK hopefully in August, will bring them there.

Paul & Prunella

Room Tip: They are all Sea Villa.
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I went to Telunas in May with my boyfriend after hearing countless wonderful things from my colleages' children, who went on a few school trips. After checking out the website and reviews on TripAdvisor, I decided to go ahead and book a 2 night stay for us so that we could relax before he left to return to the US. The resort is wonderful, and they have really put a lot of thought into everything. With that said, be sure to read up on all reviews before booking, because my boyfriend and I both pointed out that the Telunas experience is not for everyone.

First, let me just say that the staff at Telunas is absolutely wonderful. From the time we met up with them at Sekupang ferry in Batam, they were extremely nice and accommodating. Because the resort is so small, you feel as if you're all together as a family of sorts.

We stayed in a private chalet (C6, I believe?), and it was great. The rooms are spacious and ideal for couples, but would also work for families with children, as they had a nook on the side with bunk beds for additional guests in the chalet. The view from the balcony was incredible. Each morning they brought coffee to our room, and we sat on the balcony and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. We even saw a few monkeys on the beach, which was really cool. I will say that, like a previous reviewer, I was also surprised at the fact that there was no shampoo/conditioner in the rooms, but as the manager pointed out in an earlier review, they were available for purchase at the canteen (for a very reasonable price, in my opinion).

There is no air conditioning in the rooms, but the breeze coming from the water was good enough for us. In addition, they also have a few fans in the room, if you need an extra bit of air. We were comfortable.

If you have kids, Telunas is WONDERFUL. We took a boat in with a family with 4 children, and the staff was constantly engaged with the kids, keeping them entertained with coloring books, games, etc. There was also a group of 15 or so middle school children while we were there, and the resort kept them busy with school activities, beach picnics, and nature hikes. What a great experience for them!

The food was delicious, and I felt like there was a good variety. For each meal, there were two or so main courses to pick from, along with sides of vegetables, fruit, etc. If you are looking for an extensive breakfast/dinner buffet, you won't find it here, but you will find yummy, freshly prepared food to hold you over until the next meal. If you get hungry in between meals, there are snacks for purchase at the canteen. We took advantage of this during our "happy hour" -- which was really all day -- and bought COLD beers fairly frequently (cold beers are a bit of a rarity in Batam, where I live). For $4 sing dollars/beer, I thought that was an extremely reasonable price, considering we had just come from KL and Singapore and paid upwards of $8/beer over there.

We reserved a romantic dinner for one night during our stay, and it was really wonderful. The staff decorated our room very nicely, and we were served traditional Indonesian food on the balcony of one of the chalets. With the beautiful backdrop and wonderful food, it was a really nice experience.

If you are a nature type, and are interested in taking a walk in the woods or something similar, Telunas has plenty of options available. We piggybacked on the group of kids who were staying at the resort and went on a nature walk with them to a waterfall hidden deep in the "jungle". The tide went out while we were walking, so when we returned, we had to walk through knee-high water in order to get back to our boat. Not my favorite part of the trip, but it was an adventure, and it was definitely memorable!! :)

One thing I wish we would have thought about before coming - bring some entertainment...books, playing cards, games, etc. Telunas has a few of those options, but most have a bit of wear from past guests, and it would have been good to have been prepared and brought our own. There are books available to borrow, and they welcome travelers to leave their books behind as a donation.

My only issue with the trip were the bugs! But I'm not a real "outdoorsy" girl, so that's understandable. It's just nature, as I was told a few times. :)

Oh - a tip! Bring a backpack, sports bag, or something along those lines instead of a roller luggage bag. It is a bit cumbersome for the boat driver to get it on/off the boat.

All in all, the resort is great. The owners have done a wonderful job of creating a serene destination if you want to escape for awhile. I will most likely be back, and I really want to check out their new resort across the water.

Thanks for the wonderful stay!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Telunas has its unique ambience ..It can be romantic for couples ,and perfect family runaway
The moment you reach there you feel you belong to one whole big family !!
The staff are well trained and more welcoming than a 5 star hotels ...The food is of great taste just like home ..I adored the fact that we had to eat all at the same time felt like we are all having a big family fiesta !!
Cant wait for our next Runaway !!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We got to know about Telunas from the net and went there for a long weekend 3 days 2 nights.

The Good: Locaton & Service
The location of the place is breathtakingly beautiful -- even by Riau Islands standards

1. its completely isolated and the beach is lovely and shallow
2. The ambience is rustic and the rooms are all local wood right over the ocean. The balcony view from C3 was priceless
3. The service is outstanding and they really want to please you. Hannock is a service superstar and an asset to the company.

The Bad:Food & Drinks
The food is bad - really bad -- period.

1) No room service -- no a la carte -- no choice of what you want. You eat what they cook and its a tiny buffet with 2-3 items. The quality is very poor e.g. the bread during breakfast is commercial white sliced bread -- the unhealthiest one you can find.
2) For a resort Island in the middle of the ocean we never once -- not once!! had seafood. Strangely it was all chicken and beef everyday!! That was sad.
3) There is no drinks selection. Only beer @ 4 SGD per small can.

The Ugly: Value for Money
We paid over SGD 350 per night including taxes (includes mandatory meals..read above)

1. The room did not even have the most basic things -- no shampoo, not even a pair of drinking glasses. You are expected to buy shampoo from the mini shop there and drinking glasses are provided on request only. For the price charged, I wonder how much would a small bottle of good shampoo cost?

2. The games section has table tennis but only 1 racquet in decent shape. The rubber from the others have got completely ripped off. So you basically can't play. The playing cards are not complete sets -- again you cannot play.

3. Enough said already about the food, but again for SGD 50 per person per day, its literally unfair!! This is Indonesia and we all know what groceries cost here.

All in all, it's got great potential and just improving the food and giving value in facilities will rock this place. It probably deserves 3 stars but am giving it 1 extra star for the service alone.

Room Tip: Any chalet facing the ocean directly -- Only 3 of them to my knowledge C1, C3 & C5

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Brad_Fleming, Public Relations Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Hi GloballyLocal31,

Thanks for your recent stay and taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We take your comments seriously and it's a challenge to our team as our desire is to always be improving our product and service.

Thanks for your comments on Henok, our service staff, beach, and fine natural views.

Some of your comments are critiques that we will take to heart. It seems that others arose from an improper understanding of Telunas Beach that we need to correct through our communications. I also believe that some comments you make are simply not fair or reflect an expectation you projected upon us.

Food: I will leave this to other guests to decide as there 100+ reviews to this one reflecting guests who truly enjoy dining at Telunas Beach. Guests tend to enjoy the unique simplicity of showing up for a delightful spread. That said, cooking our own whole meal bread with difficult to import grains is a challenge we are looking to solve. Some other guests have mentioned wanting to see seafood featured more in the menu. It seems this didn't happen during your stay. This feedback will be passed to our operational team. For guests looking for a bit more selection and refinement in the dining experience, I suggest checking out Telunas Private Island, opening next month. Beer - we believe this is a perfectly reasonable net price for a resort in the middle of the sea - much cheaper than Singapore and other resorts in Bintan.

Value: Firstly, I'm confused as to your calculations as the most expensive room is around S$270++ during peak dates inclusive of dining for 2 pax, much cheaper on weekdays and non-peak.

Shampoo is certainly something I have desired for us to provide (as you mention) and we will be providing that quite soon as we have found a suitable supplier. The rooms do provide water bottles and refill stations for guests.

Thanks for pointing out the poor condition of our table tennis equipment and cards. Racquets were purchased after your stay and we will replace the cards, though it is typically an issue of guests dropping some of the cards into the sea below!

Once again, I'm confused on what kind of experience you were expecting for dining. It seems you wanted five star dining at discount prices on a remote island.

While some of your comments are truly critical, we appreciate the challenge you present. I hope we have the chance to host you soon and pleasantly exceed your expectations.

Sampai jumpa,

Brad Fleming for the Telunas Resorts team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Telunas was a great place for my wife and I to get away for a few nights. I am sure it would be good for family time too, but we don't have kids yet. The entire trip was well guided by the staff and we never felt like we had unanswered questions. If you are unfamiliar with Indonesia, it could be overwhelming at time. But at the same time, we felt completely comfortable with the staff's leading.

For us, we need a nice break. At Tulnas, we could settle into a hammock and get the needed time away. I can't wait for an opportunity to stay at the resort in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We recently travelled to Singapore and spent the Easter long weekend here. Great spot - worth the 4 hour travel on ferry and long boat from Singapore. Highlight was a visit to a local village with one of the lovely staff Elsa. One of the owners was also staying - very helpful and accommodating. Great spot for kids - they loved the novelty of sleeping on the ocean. A truly amazing place.

• Stayed April 2014

Been to Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort? Share your experiences!