“Peace and Traquility - Par Excellence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort

You added Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort to your Saves list
Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort
Jalan Anggrek Luar #23 | Baloi Persero, Riau Islands Province 29442, Indonesia   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sugi Island
Thane, India
“Peace and Traquility - Par Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

If you love the serenity of the Ocean and like to take a vacation, without thinking of any necessities, this is the place to be. The lovely rhythmic sound of the ocean, along with the flora around us, this is truly a blissful experience. I and my girlfriend stayed here for 3D2N and we had an amazing experience. The Staff - whatever compliment you give them, it feels less, they were the most amazing people in the resort, always around to help you and answer any queries you have. We took a Private cottage and we could see the ocean below through our floor (don't get worried, all the construction is done with wooden planks). The rains seems more than amazing here and it's a perfect getaway for anyone (Business/Couples/Family/Friends/Solo - it doesn't matter).
They serve you food (thrice a day - included in the cost) which is amazing (you must have read a lot about the Banana Crepes in many reviews before mine, believe me, no one is lying - They are simply amazing. They serve local dishes, which is Kudos to the Chef there). We also had a romantic candlelight dinner ordered for us, and it was amazing. They served us rendang and Black Rice Pudding Cake.
They have Board games, for the family to spend quality time with each other, and also badminton court, volleyball court, table tennis, Football (Soccer - for american friends), hammocks and chairs in the beach.
It's a great place to be, very close to Singapore and yet you don't feel like that. It Peace and Tranquility at it's best. Do visit this place, make new friends, and build an awesome memory for life.

Room Tip: Prefer an Private Chalet, it gives you more privacy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Telunas Beach S, Public Relations Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thanks for your rave review on your recent Telunas holiday. You point out a unique experience that not many guests have commented on. The pitter-patter of water descending upon on the leaf roofs during a rainstorm is a sublime experience. It calls for a cup of coffee or hopping back into bed. We're also glad that the dining, activities, location, and personable service suited your fancy. Please don't stay away long!

Brad Fleming for the Telunas team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This place is everything you could ask for in a soothing, revitalising and carefree vacation.

I was here for a 3D2N stay with my girlfriend as part of my birthday surprise, and I am very pleasantly pleased with what this place (so close to Singapore) has to offer. Fresh air, uncrowded beach, great accommodation facilities, homely (and extremely tasty) meals, and simple carefree entertainment such as fishing, table-tennis, sunbathing, coffee by the balcony, etc.

An additional highlight in this trip is the huge homemade chocolate cake that the kitchen provided(on the house) to my surprise!

Special mention goes to the staff that left a significant impression on my stay here: Deon and Elsa (sorry if I spelled wrongly). I strongly recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Telunas Beach S, Public Relations Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thanks for your review and we're thrilled that your girlfriend was savvy enough to find Telunas and pull off the surprise. You got Elsa and Deon's names correct. Elsa was just telling me this evening how much fun they had surprising you. We hope you don't forget about us and visit again soon at our simply soothing escape.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Everything about the Telunas Resort is spectacular! The staff is friendly and accommodating, the food is suburb, the accommodations are simple but clean and inviting. This private resort is the perfect getaway for a family or school or church group. It is isolated but there is plenty to do at the resort itself: beach volleyball, pier jumping, swimming, and star gazing at night. The staff can arrange hikes and visits to local islands and organize service projects. We took a group of 51 high school seniors for four days and they loved it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your "spectacular" review. While Telunas is remote, we're passionate about this environment facilitating human connectedness. Connectedness at Telunas is about enjoying those you came with and, for those adventurous enough to set out into a village, engaging the surrounding community. Your review will inspire our team to continue providing such experiences for future guests.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

It is an adventure getting to Telunas Beach Resort and that is part of the charm of this little island. Over the school holidays we travelled to Telunas for the second time. This time we also travelled with our friends from Melbourne who loved this island and the staff. It is a very relaxing and family orientated place - no TV but lots of games and exploring the beach and jungle. See Silly Willits (she is our friend) turned to me on the second day and said how happy she was. It is not 5 star but it is perfect for the budget conscious family who are looking for a "Villa over the water" Maldives type experience! Eian was great as was Elsa -

Room Tip: Drink plenty of water
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Telunas Beach S, Public Relations Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thanks for trusting us with a second "adventure" to Telunas Beach. We're pleased to hear that you just can't keep Telunas a secret. We're also glad that you and your friends agree that the experience is a great value for an over water island getaway. Thanks for your encouragement to future guests to stay hydrated in this tropical climate. (Our staff who regularly included this in a welcome greeting will be pleased.) We hope your next visit is not far off and includes even more friends.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My biggest wish right now is that I was still at Telunas laying on the beach watching the kids play and enjoying the hospitality and food that Telunas provides. We went for a 3 night stay with some friends who live in Singapore and I was impressed from the moment Eian (?) met us at the ferry. The boat ride to the island was 1.5 hours of beautiful views and our arrival was greeted by a welcome party of towels and drinks. What a first impression. Whilst everyone on trip advisor was right that it is not 5 star, it is very clean, comfortable and safe. I have a very serious medical condition that lowers my immunity and I found the food and facilities where no problem for me. (I had packed alternative food for myself but needed none of it). We happily were one of only a few groups and this added to the tranquility, yet at dinner time we all got along famously. The resort catered so well for our groups childdren (10, 10,8) that they were happy all day long jumping off the pier, ropes course, swimming, canoeing and playing with the staff. The ten foot jump was a big big hit!
The staff are amazing and have the right mix of being available for your every need but leaving you to rest as well. We mainly had Dion as our staff member and I wanted to take him home with me! At the bonfire night we had a very funny night teaching him Australian slang and comparing notes with the Americans at the resort. The next night he hung out with us all playing board games (by invitation) and learning new dance moves. He is so clever and funny! On our last morning my daughter was very sad to leave and he made the effort to entertain the kids so we could enjoy a rest before we left. Elsa was also with us on the first night and it is obvious she enjoys her job and the guests. Lovely.
All in all it was a perfect trip and again I wish I was still there. Big kudos to all the staff (the cooks, the local helpers (Harry was so smiley)) for enhancing this little bit of heaven.
PS The cinnmon scrolls were amazing!

Room Tip: The showers leaked slightly in the deluxe family rooms, would love to stay in either chalet 3 or 5 n...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Telunas Beach S, Public Relations Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
We're thrilled to hear that your family had a stand-out getaway from the friendly staff to engaging activities. Our team gets energy from welcoming new friends (like your family) into the extended Telunas family and then, hopefully, having the pleasure of welcoming you back before long for another rejuvenating escape. Sampai jumpa!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My family of 5 (my wife and I plus three kids aged 3, 8, 11) visited Telunas in June 2013. For those of you who love short reviews, you can stop reading and just go. It was one of the best vacations we’ve had.

Our trip started with a ferry ride from Harbourfront to Sekupang where we were greeted by Elsa at immigration. Elsa was the Telunas staff assigned to our family for the entire trip. Following a short walk to the local jetty, we took one of Telunas’ private boats and were on our way. The total journey from Singapore takes around 3.5 hours, but the change of ferry in Sekupang helps to break the journey. You get some nice views of the islands and small villages along the ride from Sekupang to Telunas.

Upon arrival, we were given cold towels and welcome drinks. The drink was some concoction of pineapple and orange and it was amazing. Don’t miss this. After a short briefing, we were shown our chalet. We stayed in C5 Timor. Built on stilts, the chalet came equipped with a balcony, a hammock, a private shower, 2 bunk beds, a queen-sized bed and a mattress on the floor. The place was clean, comfortable and breezy. It is not a 5 star hotel room. You give up air-conditioning, big screen TV, internet, bath tub and soft carpeting. What you get in return is a rustic chalet made with and surrounded by natural elements.

While we were there, students from a Singapore Polytechnic were also having their camp. We did not find the place to be overly noisy nor crowded as we were given a separate eating area.

The beach in Telunas is private, has very soft sand and is clean. The staff take the effort to clean the beach daily. If you walk to the far fringes of the beach, you will see some rubbish, but this is expected as the tides bring rubbish thrown from other islands. The water visibility was around 1.5 metres when we were there. Overall, it is a nice beach with some sea life. The kids loved the activities like swimming, catching crabs, fishing, hermit crab races, building sand castles etc.

Besides the beach, we also went kayaking and did the low rope course. Both were lots of fun, but do load up on mosquito repellent if you go into the jungle. On the beach and at the chalet, mosquitos are not an issue.

The food in Telunas is good and is served in abundance. My kids can be picky at times but we didn’t have any issues in Telunas. Our favorite was the sesame chicken and fish soup. I was looking forward to the famous banana crepes and on request, they made it on the last night. It was so-so but this is probably because the bananas weren’t in season or ripe enough. So I think it’s best to leave it to the cooks to decide what to cook.

Service in Telunas is excellent. Elsa was great with the kids, and on several occasions, swam with my youngest daughter for hours. She also recommended that we take our coffee with a type of spice and it tasted great (I forgot the name of the spice already). My daughters loved the fish soup and on request, the staff cooked it for us so we had the soup for a few days. Harry was always smiling as he served us during meal hours. During our kayaking trip, the current took us out so we were away for a while. Worried for our safety, they sent a boat out to look for us.

This was a surprise trip for my family in the sense that they knew we were going somewhere, but not knowing where exactly. Weeks before the trip, my kids kept asking me for clues and I had to give them a clue every day. Some of the conversations went something like this:

Children: “Are we taking an aeroplane?”
Dad: “No”
Children: “Har, I know lah, we are going to Malaysia.”
Children: “Is there a bathtub in the room?”
Dad: “No, no bathtub.”
Children: “Har, no bathtub?!! How about swimming pool?”
Dad: “No swimming pool”
Children: “Aiyo, so lousy. Is there an aircond in the room?”
Dad: “No, no aircond. But there’s a fan. And no TV too.”
Children: “Oh my God! This is a zero star hotel!”

At the end of the trip, Telunas was upgraded from zero stars to 5 stars.

For me, what is beautiful about the place is that it takes you away from the daily grind; work, emails, internet, phone calls, and lets you concentrate on spending time with family, surrounded by great service in a beautiful natural environment. We miss the place.

Room Tip: Chalets C1, C3, C5 faces the sunset.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Telunas Beach S, Public Relations Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Wow, what an amazingly thorough review of your family's getaway at Telunas! I won't add much more here as you covered so many elements of the Telunas experience. We're glad that your whole family enjoyed the stay and we hope it's the first of many visits to come.

Holstebro, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

To be fair - we should have given Telunas 4 stars but i have instinctively given it 3. However this rating is probably more due to us selecting the wrong type of resort rather than something that the staff at Telunas could do different.

The setting is absolutely beautiful, secluded, peaceful.... and where we should probably have done some meditation, read a few more books, we were yearning for more knowledge of the locals, their communites, culture, nature (so the local village tour were perfect for us!). Also we would have loved higher expertise on local fauna (but we came just from Borneo which set the bar kinda high for the local guides)

They made sure we were really good taken care of - a guide were there just for us and the tone between staff, guests and guide were super close and friendly. And what we needed as this point on our travel were probably a bit of anonymity.

So all in all. They deserve 4 stars - we gave it 3 as it were not really the right pick for us.

Some ideas for Telunas:

- Make a cooking class once a week - bring people to the market and let them prepare their own local dishes.
- Bring some nature specialist for a hike once or twice a week - maybe even a nightly jungle tour with headlamps. The nature is really great to look at - but even more interesting when you have someone really knowledgeable explaining about it.
- Also some really nice juices made from local tropical fruits would be appropriate in the bar instead of just water and canned soda - this would really support the trocial remote island feel

Thanks for all the smiles, the good food and your efforts :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Telunas Beach S, Public Relations Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thanks for your honest review. Though we think Telunas is a special spot and we aim to delight every guest, Telunas may not be the right vacation getaway for everyone. You have done a good job at pointing out some distinctions that may be helpful for potential guests to be aware of.
It's good for us to see that some of the suggestions you raise are things that we are already discussing or working on.
Cooking classes: This is an idea that we are looking to integrate into our new site that is being developed at Telunas Island.
Nature specialist(s): You have correctly noted that our guest services staff have a very basic scientific knowledge of local flora and fauna. While we have done base level training on this and have further professional development in progress, most of our team members are from a variety of different non-scientific backgrounds as they must be able to handle a wide variety of guest needs (not simply scientific knowledge). We will take your idea of bringing and outside person in under consideration as we have done this for specific larger groups.
Juices: These are the kinds of tropical touches that we will be rolling out at our new resort early next year.

Been to Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort? Share your experiences!