“Love this provincial park!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: National Parks, State Parks, Outdoors
Activities: Camping, Canoeing, Hiking
Volcan, Panama
13 attraction reviews
“Love this provincial park!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Some wilderness, some tamer strolls, fabulous canoe routes, great camping options and so much to this place; it is quite extraordinary!! Amazing scenery! I never spend less than a full day here, preferably much longer as there is so much to see and do. One of the very best provincial parks!

Visited May 2014

Chicago
18 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Great park - during the summer, there is live music on certain days of the week around noon and lots of people turn out. Very fun! Great tourist information building on site at this park.

Visited August 2013
Kingston, Canada
24 attraction reviews
“Spectacular, Accessible Wilderness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have visited this park, off and on, for more than a decade, and it just seems to get better. About 30-40 minutes' drive from Kingston, the park is an area of 13,000 acres. Originally cultivated for farmland, it has been allowed to return to nature. It is full of small lakes and ponds, many of the latter created by the very effective handiwork of beavers! Frontenac is not for car camping, but rather for those who want to hike rugged trails and camp at sites to which they hike in.

I find it staggeringly beautiful: rough rocks, open fields full of tall grasses, rugged hills, marshes, and quiet lakes. If you want to get away from the crowds, this is the place to do it. The trails are very well marked (blue diamonds affixed to trees). You can choose among short, easy walks, moderately long and challenging walks, and very long and difficult walks. Lately we walked the "Bufflehead" trail, which is 8 kilometers long and ranked as "moderate" in difficulty. We completed it in 2 and 3/4 hours, and were elated by it.

Keep in mind that there are very few toilet facilities--mostly only outhouses in the walk-in camping areas. And also keep in mind that you must bring all your own food (you can get water at the Park Office), and carry out all of your garbage.

If you love and respect wilderness, this is the best place for you. Previous reviewers complained about being ticketed when they broke the rules--but rule-breakers do not belong in this delightful park. Also, the reason it is such a haven of beauty (NO litter at all!) is that it attracts people who love nature and are willing to help keep it pristine.

This is not, however, a place for those who like 21st century comfort!

Visited August 2013
Akron, New York
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Wonderful hiking trails, very peaceful, well taken care of. Whenever we are in Wesport we hike through the Park.

Visited May 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Frontenac Park Police”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

When the flooding in Algonquin disrupted my fishing trip, like so many others this spring, my group made last minute plans to visit Frontenac Park for a change. At the gate, a ranger told us we would enjoy a more `relaxed atmosphere`. `We could even bring beer cans into the park, as long as we do not litter`, we were informed. The ranger will be checking every campsite, we were promised, to ensure rules are being followed. Sure enough, I was visited and ticketed for taking beer off my campsite while fishing in an adjoining lake. I was harassed and accused of camping at a different campsite, had my garbage examined and finally given a $100.00 (or $125.00 with surcharges) for having beer off site. If the treatment I received no my vacation is any indication of how Ontario Parks is managing the services to our parks, I am gravely concerned for the future of camping in Ontario.

Visited April 2013