We stayed just two nights, on either end of a little dive trip. We booked directly through the hotel website, and the owners were very quick and responsive with email. They provided a free pickup from the airport, which we very much appreciated, and the vibe was casual, warm and welcoming. The restaurant/reception area is full of personal picture albums and educational info about the area, and it's obvious the owners are there because they appreciate the island. I thought before I arrived that I might end up wishing I had planned more time on Flores, and after our stay up there, I definitely wish we would have.
The rooms are spare but attractive, and the views from the balconies are awesome. Plenty of space inside and out. In addition to their included breakfast, which starts early in the morning, they also leave a carafe of hot water with some tea and instant coffee on the terrace table. A nice touch.
Now for the less-than-great part--the stairs! I had somehow imagined the "Hilltop" part of the name related more to the march up the road than the march up the property stairs. The walk up the hill from town to the hotel isn't actually bad at all, and it puts you in a much more peaceful place than anywhere we saw in town. But the stairs at the hotel are killer, especially if you are, like we were, carrying some 60 lbs. each of bulky, awkward dive gear, or if one of your party is prone to sore knees. Up is hard, down is just plain scary! Some of the stairs are steep, others are shallow, and there's not always a place to put a steadying hand. Fortunately, there's always someone, be it staff or bemo driver's kid, who's willing to lend a hand. We had the highest rooms. If I were bringing that kind of luggage again, I'd ask for a lower room--the climb to those isn't bad at all.
Given that, I think this would still be my top pick for a return visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golo Hilltop Hotel & Restaurant Flores, is a modest hotel, located in Labuan Bajo, a city at the tip of Flores Island in Indonesia. Labuan Bajo is a base to explore the surrounding islands for the world class diving, wildlife viewing and for some of the least crowded beaches and tiny islands and of course the infamous Komodo and Rinca.Golo Hilltop is a small Boutique Style hotel run by two Dutch women and presents a pleasant family atmosphere. It is situated on top of a hill about 1 km from the city centre, this makes it a quiet and relaxing place but everything is still on walk-able distance. This hotel is a haven for nature lover and adventurous and is away from the town area. The bungalows are spacey, bright and clean. Each bungalow has its own balcony providing nice views of the ocean and a daily sunset. It provides comfortable stay with a variety of guest’s rooms - deluxe, superior and standard rooms. With all these services, this hotel provides a perfect camp to 'explore' Labuan Bajo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Golo Hilltop Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golo Hilltop Hotel And Restaurant
- Golo Hilltop Hotel & Restaurant Labuan Bajo, Flores, Indonesia