“Great trip! Great shop!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive Komodo offer liveaboard and daily dive excursions into the Komodo National Park. We operate two boats , a day boat that caters for up to 12 guests, and a liveaboard for up to 8 guests. We have been operating since 1997, and have the most experienced team of Dive Instructors and guides.
Bali
“Great trip! Great shop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Thanks DK for a great research trip through the magic of Komodo. Above and under the water, it was amazing. Nick and Elie were great guides and we always felt very taken care of. Coming to a place as vast as Komodo it was nice to have people leading the dives who were very good at spotting the smallest of creatures as well as knowing where to be and when to be there in order to see some of the good big stuff. Great food, great crew...can't say enough about the trip. Thanks Greg & Co., we both look forward to next time.

Visited March 2013

• Indonesian first
Inhambane
“My favourite place so far...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

What a great 4 days we just spent on Dive Komodo's manta research trip. Our dive guides Nick and Elitza were amazing showing us manta rays but also lots of other things I had never seen before such as zebra crabs and sea apples - so weird but supercool! Everyone of the crew was so great and friendly, and fed us very well. I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves diving, but also to those who just want to enjoy the stunning park as well - and lets no forget the dragons! An AMAZING trip.

Visited March 2013
Chiang Mai, Thailand
10 attraction reviews
“Diving spectacular, but we'll go with another shop next time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a 4 night, 5 day liveaboard with Dive Komodo. I have very mixed feelings about the experience, although the diving itself was just amazing, despite being "off season". However, the dive shop, Dive Komodo, had too many problems and there is too much competition to have to deal with them again.

Positives
As previously indicated, the diving was wonderful. We went to a wide variety of different kinds of sites, and were offered 4 dives per day (except for the first and last days). The boat was adequately comfortable and decently equipped, and the food was good and plentiful. Our dive master was extremely knowledgeable about the sites, and gave very good briefings.

Negatives
Dealing with the office was very difficult. Our trip to Komodo and Bali involved booking several different diving related activities, and most of the other resorts, hotels, and dive shops were extremely professional and responsive to e-mails. Dive Komodo was not. It consistently took several follow-ups to get answers to questions, and they did not keep their promises of getting back to us with information.

When I wrote a few days before the trip to confirm, I discovered that they had changed our dates and trip length without telling us. They did not respond to my resending our original e-mail correspondence showing what we had agreed on (& paid a deposit for). This was especially inexplicable as they had booked our airline tickets, so presumably knew what date we were arriving. When I called the office (since my e-mails went unanswered), they said that only Frans could help me, and he wasn't there. I made at least 4 calls to the office, and was given different stories each time about where Frans was (including once when I was told Frans was sick, but they would call him at home and I should call back in 10 minutes. When I called back, I was told Frans had just left the office). This was just way too much effort and anxiety, and showed a complete lack of decent customer service. They eventually agreed to keep to our originally planned schedule (but we found out on the boat that they had to change all of the other divers' dates to accommodate this.)

We also had some safety concerns about the diving itself. First, our group had 5 people with the DM, more than the 4 people promised, and too many for the conditions. We brought our own dive gear. There were several problems with equipment set-up, such as loading our gear on the speedboat without the weights in the integrated pockets (in spite of us asking to make sure they put the weights in and being assured they were there). My tank came loose twice during dives, and this happened to my dive buddy's tank and others, too (so be VERY careful during buddy checks). This kind of thing has never been a problem for us before (and we have over 130 dives).

As mentioned, our DM was very knowledgeable and wonderful at finding things , but not so good at being a guide sometimes. He spent a lot of time taking photos, not paying attention to the divers. I think that the casual attitude towards safety might have been ok with some of the other divers on the boat who were DM's and Instructors themselves, but it might have been a real problem with less experienced divers. Also - maybe in Bali it is customary for the customers and DM's to eat separately, but it would have been nice to eat with the divemasters.

gregindo, Manager at Dive Komodo - Day Trips, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear DesertDiver,

I have read your review and would like to thank you for the balanced and thoughtful feedback. I am glad for the positives you have reported, great diving for everyone is what we love to do! And I am regretful for the negatives! But finally always thankful for constructive criticism.

Unfortunately, as it is low season, and I am on Holiday, along with two other staff, so our staff levels in the office are reduced, and our communication between managers is not what it should be. BUT, Excuses will not do! We did have an issue here with your booking. I apologize for the inconvenience and unnecessary stress for you as a result of this.

I will be taking measures in this new year to ensure our email communications and booking process works more efficiently.

AS for the situation on the dive boat, our policy is normally 4 guests to 1 guide. But finally it is the decision of the lead guide of how many guides will be on the boat. This is primarily depending on the experience of all of the guests on the trip! So if all experienced I am happy to send out five divers with one guide, and trust my guides to be able to safely do so also. However for the less experienced divers, or mixed groups of experienced and inexperienced divers, or sport divers mixed with photographers for example, do require more service.

Normally we do not change out tanks between dives, but if this was occurring on your trip, combined with poor familiarity with your equipment from our crew, it may have been the cause of your loose tank. ( As the tanks are often slightly different in diameter). On my return, I will look into our procedures to make sure this is not an ongoing an issue.

Otherwise I can confirm that for our guides to be busy with photography, whilst guiding, is not acceptable.

Otherwise thanks for joining with us, and the feedback. And i hope your future diving adventures are beyond expectations! And that maybe you would still consider us again, in the future.

Kind Regards,

Greg.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
18 attraction reviews
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We joined the Tatawa for a 3 day 2 night liveaboard experience. I was newly certified and my husband has been diving intermittently for 15 years. We both agreed that this was the best diving we had ever done (his vote carried more weight). Our guide, Rian, was very accommodating of my limited experience. This is not to say that it wasn't easy. It was challenging, and at times a bit scary (those currents!), but the amount and variety of marine life was well worth it. The other support staff was very friendly and the food was excellent. We communicated via email prior to arriving in Labuanbajo and checked in the day before we headed out- no issues.

Visited May 2012
Cape Town Central, South Africa
7 attraction reviews
“Sloppy admin but fantastic diving!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

My initial contact with Dive Komodo left me with low to no expectations. I had booked the 3D2N liveaboard package, and getting the arrangements finalised was like pulling teeth. However, the liveaboard experience was just perfect in every way.

The boat is not luxurious, but has all the amenities that one could possible need for a short trip. It was kept clean and neat by a very dedicated crew. The cabins are fine if a little stuffy, and I'd recommend sleeping on deck if weather permits. There are lots of space to chill or catch a bit of sun between dives and in the evenings.

The food was fantastic! I am still amazed at how such varied and tasty dishes could emerge from such a small galley. Yummy snacks make their appearance after dives, and coffee, tea, water and even biscuits are available all day long.

Of course a trip like this is all about the diving and it could not have been better! Ellie was a fantastic guide, and even though I did not dive with him, Rian seemed like a very competent guide as well. One got the idea that this was not a job for them, but that they were doing it for the love of diving. Every single dive was special, but the manta experiences were subliminal.

Personally I did not enjoy the visit to Rinca Island to visit the dragons all that much. The weather was lousy, and the short hike rather boring. If you really are into Komodo dragons, visit them on a separate trip to Komodo Island.

I wholeheartedly recommend Dive Komodo's liveaboard trip and hope to dive with them again in the not too distant future!