“Fabulous!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa

You added Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Los Oceanos s/n | Alcala, 38686 Alcala, Guia de Isora, Tenerife, Spain   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersGold level
Paisley, Scotland
“Fabulous!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

My partner and our 3 children have just returned from a two week holiday at Sensatori Tenerife. This is the first time that I have written a review on a hotel as it is not something I have ever felt the need to do. On this occassion I very much feel the need to write this review. Before going to Sensatori Tenerife I, like most folk, read the reviews of others who had previously stayed at the hotel. To say I was a little hesitant about the hotel after reading the negative reviews would have been an understatement!! If you are about to go on holiday to this hotel then please let me put your mind at rest. From start to finish we had a fabulous holiday. The hotel is magnificent, the staff are hard-working, friendly and extremely helpful. The accommodation is 5 star - the rooms are modern, spotless and extremely comfortable - room service is second to none. The food is great with the Pangea self-service restaurant offering a fantastic range of tasty, healthy and creative dishes. The other al a carte restaurants serve a more limited 'all inclusive' menu for Sensatori guests, but it is just as tasty and if you fancy something a little more special then you can pay extra for it. The pool areas are great and meet the needs of all ages of children (and adults!). Children's entertainment in the evenings is fantastic and our kids (aged 2, 10, 11) loved it. We overheard some of the 'moaners' comment about the inappropriate double meaning to some of the kids jokes - but for goodness sake - have they ever noticed the double meaning in some of the jokes in Toy Story / Monsters Inc. / Shrek?? Get a life is what I say to them! The evening entertainment was also very good and very tasteful - the resident musician and entertainment staff are extremely talented and gifted people. We also heard the 'moaners' complaining about waiting in a queue for the Pangea restaurant - they waited no more than a couple of minutes - and it was not because the restaurant was too busy or because the staff could not cope - it was simply because the hotel's policy is that all guests are escorted to their seats by the very friendly, professional staff. The bellboy service was excellent as was the sport facilities and the helpfulness of the Thomsons staff. The hotel shop was well stocked with EVERYTHING you would need - and the staff were lovely. The shop and bar drinks were expensive - but it is not a 3 star hotel in the middle of Benidorm you are staying in!! The location is not Monaco, but I knew this before I booked - there is a lovely walk along the rocky cliffs with beautiful ocean views and a pleasant short walk into the small town for some groceries. We arranged a couple of trips to Siam waterpark and Loro Park zoo through Thomsons staff when we arrived - both trips were excellent and worth every penny!! Honestly I find it hard to believe that people could complain about this hotel. What did the 'moaners' expect? One to one service with hotel staff concentrating only on them?? This hotel is one of a kind and you will not find many like it around the world - unfortunately you will find many 'moaners' and those folk who thrive on complaining about nothing. I wish all the staff at Sensatori Tenerife the very best. Thankyou very much for an excellent holiday, for all your hard-work, professionalism and dedication. We would definately book this hotel again and will certainly be booking Sensatori again next year.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

We had a wonderful week at the Sensatori Tenerife. The room was brilliant and the service very good. We enjoyed the great variety of food, the good sport facilities, great pool and quiet surroundings. Before going on hoilday we were concerned about some of the negative reviews on tripadvisor, which spoilt our anticipation a little bit. Luckily we had non of the problems reported.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
blackwood wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

First impression was great, large reception area looks really impressive. Rooms were fantastic large bathrooms of high quality, massive beds also! There were lots of negative things in regards to this hotel (on trip advisor) but i can say we have stayed at places like one and only in dubai + plus hilton dubai, some other amazing hotels also but i can honestly say this is a top class hotel. Japanese restaurant was also amazing you do have to pay for this but is we'll worth the money (went twice!!).
Understand some people have different tastes you will love the place, it is a low key area and there is not a great deal around. There are a few local supermarkets if you wanted to buy some bits and bobs, we did this and brought back to hotel (wine, water etc...)
good points - food excellent / pools fantastic / service good / looks the part
bad points - kids pool too small not enough sunbeds / spanish there think they own the place and expect to have a sunbed when they come down from breakfast at 11am and then complain to staff when there aren't this then in turn gets the pool staff removing your towel in morning or if you leave it unacommpanied for over an hour!!!! (understand you should not reserve in morning but when you have kids you need a sun shade and a bed!!!!)
evening staff at bar by infinity pool need to crack a smile now and again also not enough staff at the bars waiting for a drink was a pain.

All in all a goog hotel great food and fantastic accommodation
also would like to mention the kids club + staff are fantastic our little girl loved it! (peace for 2 hours yahooooo) thanks guys!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
N.Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Stayed here with wife and 2 kids the first fortnight in June. Had read reviews re service before leaving but arrived at the hotel with a wait and see attitude. Arrived to a fragrant waft in reception and was given a Sensatori room on the 5th floor but had to move rooms on the 2nd night due to overpowering smell of sewage (which I don't believe was ever resolved), we ended up in a Gran Melia room on the 3rd floor which was light years better and much handier to everything.
Food is 100% in the Pangea buffet but a bit hit and miss in the Market Grill, we didn't feel the need to eat anywhere else in the evening as the buffet is that good. Service is a bit hit and miss, the Pangea is fine if it's not busy but be prepared to physicaly restrain a waiter/waitress if it is. To their credit the workers are busy but they seem to work against each other and lack co-ordination which doesn't help when you need them. My advice is to get into breakfast and dinner early and drop one of them a tip every so often, it worked for us. If you order drinks around the Ocean Bar at night attach a piece of string to the waiter as you may never see him again, I eventually gave up a got them myself.
Maid/Ground/Pool and reception staff are very helpful and couldn't do enough for you.
We had issues with the sun loungers as there wasn't enough of them (70 ordered) so found ourselves having to get up at 8 every morning and put the towels down.
The kids loved the Sensatori entertainment and had a ball, the kids pool is ideal for toddlers and under tens and they keep old inflatables and toys for the kids to use bring an empty bottle as the pool has a water cooler (useful with kids).
The hotel has free wi-fi but you're best sitting around reception to use it as it tends to drop in and out elsewhere.
I would recommend Sensatori but go with the expectation that you are in a 4 star hotel and it'll measure up, forget the Sensatori hype about well being and all that, if you go with the impression it's a 5 star you'll be dissapointed. I may sound a bit critical but if you hype something up it needs to be better than just very good.

Norfolk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Nice hotel with hard working staff but this is definately NOT a hotel for couples who want to relax in a bit of peace. We stayed at this hotel for two weeks DURING term time but the place was swarming with kids. Lord knows going in school holidays will be a nightmare. There were kids running around the ''Chill Out'' zone in the evenings, kids shouting in the internet room (unsupervised) and even kids in the gym, but worst of all was at meal times when we fealt totally surrounded by crying kids every day. Reps were curse and poor. If you want to eat in anything other than the buffet restaurant you need to form an orderly early morning queue, but there is know guarantee of getting a seat. I tried two or three times to get into the Italian restaurant but was told that this was fully booked, however when we walked past it during the evening it was half empty. Drinks and hotel shop were silly prices ie 2.5 euros in the shop for a bottle of water, down the road in a local shop the same bottle was .45 euros. If you want something like a packet of biscuits you will need to get a bank loan. Once again if you want a quiet holiday stay well clear. We will not be going Sensatori ever again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

I stayed here for 10 days encompassing half term with my husband and 5 year old son. We all had a fantastic holiday. The hotel has the wow factor on arrival and the room was well equiped and large enough for us all. The whole hotel is spotless and my husband, who is a bit fanatical about cleanliness (I call it OCD !!) failed to find one thing to moan about !!
My son loved the Kids clubs and wanted to go every day and given the chance would have gone twice a day !! I can't say enough about how good the staff in the kids club are. During the half term week we had to book the kids club the evening before and while some people complained about this I would rather queue to book for this type of childcare than send him to a club with 50 or so kids just doing a bit of painting.

The food in the restuarants was good with plenty of choice and, yes, sometimes there were chicken nuggets and burger but these are not compulsory. Choose something else if you don't like them ! In the buffet there is probably about 20 main courses to choose from. We never queued to book the other restaurants and just turned up at the desk about 11am and only once were we not able to get the restaurant we wanted at the time we wanted. Maybe I was just lucky. The staff are friendly but were rushed off their feet somedays. We always had a few glasses of wine with dinner and sometimes had to wait a bit to be topped up or catch the eye of a waiter but I never felt the refills were grudged. You dont always get salt and pepper or even a fully made up table but worse things have happened to me in life.

The sun bed rush in the morning is a sight to behold and if your not out there with your towels by 7am your won't get one !! Our son didn't like the salt water in the infinaty pool so we went to the family pool near the red level area. I understand this is now adult only leaving only one famiy pool which I'm sure has made the sun bed rush even worse. The Pirate ship pool I would say is more geared to toddlers and would't keep children over 4 amused for long. There are not enough umbrellas at the hotel. I would say about 1 to every 10 beds. Not good enough

There is no beach and the town is okay for buying beers and inflatables but not much else going on but I knew that before I went.

The evening entertainment - The Cirque show is great but anything else we saw was rubbish but in fairness thats not really my thing anyway. The playhouse Live in the evening for the kids is okay but if you have been to Sensatori Crete you will be dissappointed because it's not nearly as good as Crete. The chill out area with the DJ was great for sitting after dinner or in the plaza watching the dancing fountains. There are a lot of kids running around the chill out area which is a bit annoying but the hotel can't legislate for parents not controlling their kids.

The kids v adults debate. Well, there are a lot of kids in this hotel and most are very well behaved but kids will be kids and there are some left running around with no parental supervision. Please don't let this spoil things for us responsible parents. I just hope that they are not bannished from hotel completely as some people seem to think they should be. Thomson advertise this as a family friendly hotel with creche, kids clubs, kids evening entertainment, baby food etc....so why would you book Sensatori if you want a child free holiday.

I think the drinks are reasonablty priced for a 5* hotel. 9.5 euros for 2 wines which is the same as I pay in my local. Cocktails start at 8 euros which is what you would pay in a London Hotel.

I had a facial in the spa and it was a lovely relaxing experience. I would definately recommend trying at least one treatment. It was a real treat.

Overall I think Sensatori is a great value for money package holiday. I have stayed in the Abama and the DelDuque in Tenerfe for work. Both are lovely hotels but you will pay the same for a fortnight there and only get B & B.

We would definately consider going back next year.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Our group of six consisted of women ages 30 to 60. The group unanimously agreed that this Hotel definitely belonged in a top 5 or 10 list. The Hotel's attention to detail is clearly displayed in the extreme detail and beauty of the rooms and grounds. There are touches in these rooms that one would never even think to include.The resorts' massive pool with several sections that had jets and showers, extended the length of the resort. Poolside in a lounge chair or Bali Bed is the best place to be.

The YHI spa was GORGEOUS. IF you are able to you must purchase a day pass to the salon and spend time pampering yourself in the beautiful pool, jacuzzis, walk across the heated stones, sit in the saunas, relax on the heated, or invigorate yourself in the ice cold baths!.

Nighttime in Tenerife is very peaceful and within walking distance we found a restaurant that we loved so much we returned nearly every night that we were in town for dinner. If you stay at the Palacio de Isora visit restaurante-cervecería Lupulo which is right in Alcalá, in the town square. It is THE BEST option for eating in Tenerife. The food at Lupulo was beyond good and the prices unbelievable for the level of food being offered. The owners passion for culinary satisfaction is evident as he makes every attempt to answer any question you may have on the menu. We all wish that we could import this restaurant to the states!

Only bad things about this place... beds are not the softest you will find but who spends the day in the room in such a beatiful place?? If you dont speak Spanish (Spain) be prepared for somewhat of a barrier and be patient. The place definitely caters to families but offers an area that is for adults only. I wasnt a huge fan of the poolside restaurant but didnt even bother to try the other restaurants as Lupulo was too good not to have everyday.

• Stayed June 2010

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!