“Red Level - A must for couples” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa

You added Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Los Oceanos s/n | Alcala, 38686 Alcala, Guia de Isora, Tenerife, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Scotland
“Red Level - A must for couples”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

I have just returned from a one week stay in the Red Level of the Gran Melia Palacio de Isora as a Sensatori guest and felt it was my turn to give an honest and truthful account of our stay. Having read all the reviews before leaving we had a comprehensive overview, good and bad, of what to expect and although the Thomson reps say that you should not read TripAdvisor reviews because they are just negative, there has to be some truth behind the negative comments for them to have even been mentioned in the first place. So here is my review:

Overall Short Summary – If you are a couple looking for a luxury break in the sun I would be a bit cautious as to where you book. I would highly recommend staying in the Red Level, it is worlds apart from the main resort. I personally will book to stay again in Red Level, direct with the hotel, on a B&B basis and travel out of the resort for dinner. There are a number of restaurants and bars in Alcala or alternatively take a short taxi drive to Los Gigantes. I would highly recommend the main resort for families as there was plenty to do for them and the adults although do bear in mind we saw buggies being lifted up and down stairs more times than I wish to remember, there are lifts but out of the way. The sports and entertainments programmes were very comprehensive. Food at lunch and dinner was disappointing for a more discerning customer unless you want to pay extra and even then a bit hit or miss.

In Depth Report :
As we were travelling as a couple and for a special occasion we opted to pay for a private transfer to the hotel and this was an excellent idea, I would suggest doing this whether for a special occasion or not. No waiting around for the bus or arriving at the hotel with the other people from the flight trying to check in at the same time.

When we arrived at the hotel we were picked up in the beautiful lobby by one of the Red Level butlers and taken down to the Red Level lounge in a golf buggy. We were then seated at the reception desk and checked in and they brought us a lovely cold glass of bubbly. Once checked in we were taken to our room and shown how to use the mood lighting etc. The room was fabulous, spacious and clean. We had made our concerns known to Thomsons about going to the resort before we left and we had been given one of the best rooms in the house with a fabulous pool/sea view and a Jacuzzi on the balcony – which was actually the room were had expected to get any way, as back in January when we booked, Gran Melia only had one grade of Red Level room and it included a Jacuzzi. Since Thomson have taken over 60% of the rooms at the resort on 1st May, a second grade of Red Level room was brought in for Thomson guests which did not include a Jacuzzi – so bear that in mind if you did your research on the hotel before 1st May.

Basically, I cannot fault the Red Level area. The staff and facilities were perfect. We especially enjoyed the private breakfasting area, great choice of fruit, cereals, cold meats, breads, teas, coffees, bubbly, juices etc and a great selection of cooked to order items from the menu. The open bar with tapas in the early evening was also very enjoyable after a hard day in the sun. Also the ability to just go and help yourself to a cold bottle of water (still & sparkling) from the lounge fridge to cool down while by the pool or a cup of coffee/tea at any time of day was most appreciative. There was also afternoon tea served with pastries. The staff in the Red Level made all of our restaurant reservations, spa reservations and arranged for car hire and booked our Bali beds every day in the location we wished. The staff would also greet you by name which was a lovely touch - how they could remember everybody’s names is beyond me. I would suggest that if you are a couple looking for peace and quiet and a bit of luxury this is definitely the area to stay in. I cannot recommend the Red Level area highly enough. We will definitely stay in the Red Level area again – however I would book this direct with Gran Melia on a B&B basis and not with Thomson Sensatori. This is due to poorer room location and board basis with Thomson.

SPA – We went to the spa and I had a Hot Stone Massage and my husband had a Back , Neck and Shoulder massage. Both treatments were very good but we were a bit shocked when both of the therapists were men, perhaps something that should have been advised to us beforehand. But other than that, well worth the money.

Hotel, Grounds & Staff – The hotel and grounds are stunning and immaculate. The maintenance, cleaning and gardening staff do an excellent job. It really is lovely walking around the gardens. The waiting staff in general were all very good, welcoming, courteous and happy.

Drinks – We had no problems with the price of drinks around the resort out with mealtimes. €4 for a beer and €3 for a glass of wine, €6 for a large free poured Bombay Gin and €5 for the tonic. Twice during our stay (3 days apart) I tried to order a Cosmopolitan but they did not have any cranberry juice. I did have a Mojito which was fine and the Palacio de Isora cocktail, which was not really to my taste, it was the sweetest greenest cocktail I have ever seen.

Ok, so now unfortunately I do have to give some negatives and of course for some people these might not be negatives so it depends on what you expect and what your tastes are but for us, as a well travelled couple who appreciate good food and luxury surroundings, there were a couple of disappointments.

A Small Niggle – As a couple looking for a quiet romantic holiday we had to be very selective where we went in the resort and at what times due to the very large number of families with small children. I realise that this is not the fault of the families as they are entitled to a holiday too but the holiday that was sold to us did not include this type of ambiance. It was like a holiday village at times. The Ocean Club is a fabulous area with a DJ playing chill out tunes in the evening but once you get to about 8.30pm onwards after the families have been for dinner it resembles more of a children’s disco. We always left at this point and then went for dinner. The Ocean Club also has a fantastic huge fire pit in the centre but due to the amount of children running around they are not allowed to light this for safety reasons – a real shame. There is an adults only bar (Nemo’s) but it is inside and when we are on holiday we like to sit outside in the evenings.

Disappointing – FOOD
Over the first 2 days we decided to try every restaurant included in the package so that we could work out for ourselves which restaurants were the best for our tastes and needs in order that we would know where to choose for the rest of the week. Overall we were very disappointed with the food that was included in the Thomson package. We ended up paying extra for every meal in the a la carte restaurants to get something of a higher quality and quantity from the regular menu.

The Market Grill - Our No 4 Choice

Lunchtime – the menu itself is quite acceptable as a pool snack bar but the quality was very poor. My partner ordered a prawn wrap and it was inedible, I ordered the chicken club which was ok but you could have found a far better example in a cafe on the front at Los Cristianos. Perhaps the salad bar and a pizza here were the best options. We decided we would definitely not go back to the Market Grill for lunch– oh and one of the other options on the menu was a Doner Kebab!!!!

Dinner – We were told by the Thomson rep, Andrew, at the welcome meeting that the Market Grill becomes a Steakhouse in the evening. We arrived one evening, sat down, looked at the menu and could not believe our eyes - Doner Kebab, Pizza, etc on the Sensatori section of the menu. We decided to pay the extra and select food off the regular menu. I ordered a Fillet Steak, asked for it to be cooked rare and it was perfect.

Ocean Restaurant – Our No 3 Choice

Dinner – We had high hopes for this restaurant as in most previous reviews it came out on top. Well unfortunately not for us. It was very disappointing, the staff were not very attentive and the food we ordered from the Sensatori menu were extremely small portions. I ordered melon with parma ham for starter which was quite tasty but very small, then the veal with lemon for my main and I got 2 very thin slices of veal with a tablespoon of extremely wilted spinach – no further vegetables or potatoes? I had the tiramisu for dessert which was nice and in actual fact 2 times the size of what I had had for starter and main luckily. My partner had the asparagus for starter and then the sea bass/bream. These were better than my choices.

Pangea – Buffet – Our No 2 Choice

We ate breakfast here once and it was fine, plenty of choice but we preferred the peaceful surroundings of the Red Level breakfasting patio.

Lunch – We had lunch here on three occasions as we enjoyed the salad bar. We always ate after 2.30pm when it was much quieter and we always ate outside. This was very enjoyable with plenty of wine top ups. Also there is a severe lack of salt and pepper pots. It can be a real search sometimes to find one.

Canarian Night – We went to the Canarian night and were very disappointed. The best part of it was the freshly cooked King prawns and the Canarian potatoes. Not many Canarian choices on top of the usual pasta, chips, onion rings and sea bass/bream and I certainly did not expect 3 Chinese dishes plus spring rolls as a Canarian delicacy!!!!

Oasis Restaurant – Our No 1 Choice

Lunch & Dinner - Again we opted to pay for food but this is the restaurant we ate in most, the seafood paella at lunchtime with a few glasses of wine was perfect. I could have had this every day. The suckling pig was extremely tender, fell off the bone and the grilled prawns delicious. Also the Crema Catalana was to die for, soft and creamy. Very attentive staff.

Calima – We had the Gran Tasting menu. We enjoyed our evening although we felt very rushed. Our bill with 2 glasses of champagne, bottle or wine, tea and coffee including the 20% hotel guest discount was €234.

Summary – The hotel is lovely but I think it is a shame that Gran Melia have needed to sell most of the resort to Thomsons, as it really has changed the type of hotel this was initially designed for. If you are a couple looking for a luxury break in the sun I would be a bit cautious as to where you book to stay within the resort. I would highly recommend staying in the Red Level, it is worlds apart from the main resort. I personally will book to stay again in Red Level, direct with the hotel, on a B&B basis and travel out of the resort for dinner. There are a number of restaurants and bars in Alcala or alternatively take a short taxi drive to Los Gigantes. I would recommend the main resort for families as there was plenty to do for the children and the adults although do bear in mind we saw buggies being lifted up and down stairs more times than I wish to remember, there are lifts but out of the way. The sports and entertainments programmes were very comprehensive. Food at lunch and dinner was disappointing for a more discerning customer unless you want to pay extra and even then a bit hit or miss. We did enjoy ourselves but I can see how some could be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

In Depth Report :

When we arrived at the hotel we were picked up in the beautiful lobby by one of the Red Level butlers and taken down to the Red Level lounge in a golf buggy. We were then seated at the reception desk and checked in and they brought us a lovely cold glass of bubbly. Once checked in we were taken to our room and shown how to use the mood lighting etc. The room was fabulous, spacious and clean. We had made our concerns known to Thomsons about going to the resort before we left and we had been given one of the best rooms in the house (a Gran Melia room not a Thomson room) with a fabulous pool/sea view and a Jacuzzi on the balcony – which was actually the room were had expected to get any way, as back in January when we booked, Gran Melia only had one grade of Red Level room and it included a Jacuzzi. Since Thomson have taken over 60% of the rooms at the resort on 1st May, a second grade of Red Level room was brought in for Thomson guests which did not include a Jacuzzi – so bear that in mind if you did your research on the hotel before 1st May.

Disappointing – FOOD

The Market Grill - Our No 4 Choice

Ocean Restaurant – Our No 3 Choice

Pangea – Buffet – Our No 2 Choice

Oasis Restaurant – Our No 1 Choice

neath wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Just don't understand some of the comments on this hotel. My husband and I worried ourselves sick before our stay, needlessly......we stayed for 2 weeks from 4th - 19th June and had a fantastic time....and before all you moaners think...yeah well what kind of hotels are you use to..let me explain, this is our 6th Thomsons Platinum holiday, we've stayed at 3 Gold hotels and had 3 5* caribbean holidays....so yes we do know our stuff. We never ever write on trip advisor, but after the comments we read I felt we had to.

The holiday was booked as an Anniversary/40th Birthday present and my god did it wow. The rooms are fantastic and have everything you could possibly need. Our room 5008 had a lovely sea view and was very quiet. On occasions the room wasnt made until 4pm but honestly I'm on holiday why would I allow that to bother me.

We eat throughout our stay at the Pangea Buffet restaurant, we found there to be plenty of selection, food was always hot and kept replenished. Service...we never ever had to wait for a table nor did we have a problem with drinks, yes they will not leave a bottle of wine of your table, but our glasses were refilled as often as we wanted. My husband and I think this was because we treated the waiters/waitresses with respect, we both witnessed the disgusting behaviour of some british guests who can only be discribed as unbelievable rude (treat others as you wish to be treated works in Tenerife to). We did tip some staff for the service on leaving the restaurant. We enjoyed many a chat with Pablo, Pilar and Ana Laura and found them to be exceptionally attentive.

The Thompson Reps......We found them to always be polite and courteous and nothing was ever to much trouble. What we especially liked was at the welcome meeting they gave you all the information that you needed and also (optional) provided a tour of the hotel. They also didnt push the excursions like Reps usually do.

Exactly as it says on the tin. If you read the brochure it says and I quote....Sensatori by Gran Melia....Location tranquil banana plantation and five minutes walk from a Canarian village that's home to a handful of shops, so yes in the middle of nowhere. Full Board plus never mentioned AI. So I am sorry for those of you that were mislead but we are happy that it was all we expected it to be.

We can all find things to moan about, sometimes they are so insignificant why would you allow it to spoil for holiday e.g. S & P.

Bedfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Last week we spent 7 days at Sensatori. We have a 16 month old litlte boy and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I had several WOW moments. The hotel interior is very stylish. It smells nice in the main reception. The grounds were beautifully maintained. The rooms were immaculate. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. There was plenty to choose from when it came to food. The price of drinks are no different to a nice hotel in the UK. They had CBeebies. The bubblebath was great. The pools were stunning. I can only assume that the people that have complained about this place are either utterly spoilt or very miserable indeed.

I feel it caters for everyone. There is an adult only pool for those that prefer to be away from children.

There is a dedicated childrens pool with a pirate ship that can get quite busy, but not surprising as it looks great fun. The main pool has some really shallow spots so with little toddlers, this is perfect. Aim for a sunbed directly opposite the Oasis Grill as this is ideal for the little ones. Highchairs were always available at meal times and we were always offered a drink. I took a tupperware container with me at lunch times and filled it with food for my son for later as he always eats dinner at 5pm. All the staff saw me do it and they were absolutely fine with this.

The nursery is fantastic and I would highly recommend this to anyone. You can pre-book this in the UK, which we were unaware of prior to going. You can book morning or afternoon sessions. The security is excellent and all the staff are from the UK and fully qualified. They even have sleepovers for older children which they all seemed to love!

I think it is important for people to remember that Thomson is still a package holiday company and the hotel and the price reflects this. Although somewhat more expensive that their usual 5T hotels, I think if people try to compare this to perhaps a luxury brand holiday flying with a scheduled airline then that would be a little unfair on Thomson.

If I could change just a few things... I'd put a much bigger Sensatori sign outside on the hotel wall. I would make it all inclusive as I overheard so many guests complaining about the drinks situation at meal times. I would reduce the prices of the spa treatments as they really were ridiculous. They would probably get so many more people using this facility if they priced it better. These would be my only recommendations.

Overall, if you are like us, relaxed and appreciative of not having to cook every night and having the bed made for you every day, you are bound to enjoy it as much as we did.

Well done Thomson, in my view, you've done really well.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

We have just returned from a two week holiday at what we were lead to beleive was a brand new Sensatori Resort in Tenerfie! The hotel definately had the WOW Factor and having been to Sensatori in Crete only last year we were impressed by the setting. The accommodation was even better so much bigger than the room we had in Crete the bathroom was massive, the bed was huge it was just amazing.

However, unfortunately our expectations most certainly were dropped when we learnt that the brand new hotel for Sensatori was simply not the case. If you are about to embark on a holiday to Tenerife please dont be fooled. The hotel as been built for two years now and is run by Gran Melia, Sensatori only have 60% of the hotel and this soon became aparent.

The restaurants were orendous not much choice and alot of hidden extras which we most definately did not experience in Crete. 4 Restaurants are supposably included in your full board plus however there were hidden costs on the menu and only one menu choice for full board plus unless you wanted to pay! Whilst being there we had the chance to watch England play two lots of drinks were different prices each time! Having said that the buffet restaurant Pangera did seem to provide choices however the food was luke warm at best !!! table service was shambolic and the waitors/waitresses were so rude and arrogant we were amazed! Drinks were served by the glass as apossed to the bottles of wine we were served in Crete and if you wanted more than one glass you were made to feel bad when having to ask for one! At breakfast if you were not in the restaurant by 8.30am you would be queing for an hour to be seated and when coffee and tea were served only warm milk would be given! 4 times we had to request for cold milk and in the end my husband had to obtain his own! Not quite what I had in mind for 5* Service!

To top it all off we have never been to a resort where there were so many young children/toddlers/babies be warned if you are a couple wanting adult time in the evening FORGET IT!!!! far too many todlers running around like uncagged animals it was like kindergarden gone wrong. When the saxaphone player was trying to play chill out music they would be climbing on the stage!!! in the buffet restaurant they would be crawlling around on the floor when waitors were running around with glasses on trays an accident waiting to happen!!! There was supposably meant to be an adult bar however again smaill children running in and out of it, a small boy was sat at the cocktail bar at midnight was just wrong on so many levels! there was just no getting away from them
we ended up having to go back to our room for peace and quiet! This just was not the case in Crete following the family entertainment they were areas for adults after 9.30pm.

Sorry for those of you who feel tolerance for children is needed but to be quite frank I love children but not when there left to there own devices unattended because parents are wanting to enjoy there holiday at midnight!

The final straw was when we went to enjoy our last lunch to find that there was a group of business men having an area of the buffet restaurant for there conference. I am sorry but the hotel just did not feel like a holiday resort but simply a hotel for conferences where holiday makers go! i might aswell as been in the Belfry at home!

Before we booked our holiday we enquired about the red level zome as were were told that this would be the only area where they would be an adult pool! when we tried to book this it was fully booked, this was not the case and when we arrived we soon learnt that only two weeks prior to us arrving there they had made another pool adult only right nextstall to the red level zone because of complaints that there was no where to go except for pools that were full with families. For those of you who are thinking of doing this or have been advised the same please dont book it for that reason it is an extra 125 euros a night for just a butler and extra tea and coffee!!! Also if you want a sunbed you have to get up at stupid o clock, signs put up saying your not allowed to reserve them but if you left not obtaining one until after 9am forget it!

Finally this hotel simply does not compare to Crete we were really disapointed with the orgainisation of the hotel and the reps did not seem to be bothered either! We will most definately not be returning to Sensatori in Tenerife. The hotel is deffinately 5* but with a 2/3* Service!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

We booked this hotel as part of a Thomson Sensatori package as a treat to ourselves, and left after our week away feeling disappointed. The service from the hotel staff themselves was good, but unfortunately the Thomson staff did not pay attention to our complaints or try and solve our problems for us.
Our room was lovely and spacious, but it was very, very noisy - we could hear the guests above us and below us and all the noise they made, as well as the cleaners pushing their trolleys along the corridors which was exceptionally loud! Therefore we tried to stay out of our room for as long as we possibly could each day. Sleep quality, of course, was very poor - we resorted to sleeping with ear plugs in, and could still hear noises!
The food at all the restaurants was of a good quality. We ended up eating most of our meals at Pangea restaurant, as it was such a hassle to book any of the other restaurants. The Club Ocean restaurant (Italian food) was our favourite though.
There is nothing to do in the local town (Alcala), but Los Gigantes is nearby which is a recommended day trip. We also hired a car for a day to visit Mount Teide, which again is highly recommended.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

Been here a few days but wanted to let people know about this hotel, particularly if you have kids.
Buffet restaurant ok, not 5-star, but nice enough and you won't get food poisoning. Free wine with meals is house wine, nothing special but ok.
6 pools. 3 are adults only. Of the remaining 3, 1 is for the Spanish, although you can enter if you wish, 1 is the saltwater infinity pool, and 1 is the family pool.
Infinity pool is great except my kids don't like the salt, and also its a case of seen but not heard with kids. They are tolerated, but no toys (balls), fish for diving etc.
This leaves the rather small family pool. Get early for your lounger.
the biggest problem though is the room size. As reviewer on June 21 points out, you couldn't stay here with kids.
Thomson have renamed the standard room to a mini-suite. It is better named a mini-room. In the brochure (Sensatori) it is pictured as a deluxe room. Well the photographer is standing right in the corner of the room - that's it.
When the bed comes down its caravan style clambering I'm afraid.
If you have kids go for the master suite.

• Stayed June 2010

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!