“Such a shame” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa

You added Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Los Oceanos s/n | Alcala, 38686 Alcala, Guia de Isora, Tenerife, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
GreenLeadersGold level
“Such a shame”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

This Hotel is a puzzle, it should be amazing but the service and food quality really let it down, there is a problem also that they seem to have a pecking order with guests 3 classes, we booked direct and went for one of the 'Grand Suites' which actually turned out to be interconnecting rooms, I complained only to be told 'no one had complained before, but there is a first time for everything' lol, customer services was actually quite comical our little lad lost his Lego and shoes they simply weren't interested and one of the girls looked at me like I had just landed on the planet from mars when I asked if they had a lost property department or whatever. The ladies in red hit on you when you arrive, be aware that they want to pitch you the club melia time share 'possibilities' near to the end of the holiday I was asked by one of them what I thought of the hotel, I rattled of ten reasons why I was unhappy, she then still tried to pitch me lol!

The wine and food were more miss than hit, I can't understand how they can get this so wrong, the holiday cost me a fortune yet I wanted to eat out of the hotel most of the time!

Gran Melia you need to take stock of the negative comments, this hotel could become one of the leading hotels in the world but you need to improve good service, food and wine is not a hard thing to fix!

I need a holiday to recover from this one lol!

• Stayed March 2013
Pablo Q, eGuestexperience at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Jummer6,

We regret that you couldn't enjoy a comfortable stay with us, and we would like to offer you our sincerest apologies for not be able to get a pleasant experiences during these days.
Sharing your opinion you will help us to improve our services, especially on the food and beverage issues, where we have 7 different options to find your best choice, once again, I regret you didn’t find yours.

Also we apologize for the inconvenient emerged about the time share program your comment has been transfer to the operating committee to detect and prevent possible errors on future occasions.

We are at your complete disposal.

With kind regards,

Guest Experience

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Hungarian first
St Martins, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at the Gran Melia for 2 weeks from 15th to 29th March This was our 5th visit to this Excellent hotel It just seems to get better each time. From the time you arrive into the delightful reception area to your welcome drink, your bags are whisked away to your room and very quickly you are checked in with a smile from your happy reception staff. The rooms are beautiful large comfy beds lovely bathrooms big baths rain showers tea/coffee making facilities big tv with English channels (if you have time to watch it) My only niggle is it would be good if they supplied a separate lamp for us ladies to make up by? The Hotel is immaculate the pools,all public areas are spotlessly clean, the grounds are beautifully kept
The quality of the Hotel carries onto the food The Pangea is a self service buffet restaurant food choice is fantastic some nights have a theme area eg curry/pasta/fajitas/canarian as well as the normal buffet of hot and cold food plus the choice of fresh fish /meat that they will cook for you to order on the plancha The deserts are amazing also there is a chocolate fountain ice cream station and some nights a flambe station The Club Ocean (Italian) is excellent too
Oasis Pool Grille lovely garlic prawns/calamari etc at lunchtime and a served menu at night.
Market Grill a nice daytime restaurant mainly faster food We didnt have any problem getting our glasses refilled in these restaurants. There is a Oriental/Japanese restaurant Nami and a fine dining/tapas restaurant Duo my family have tried both and said they were v good they are not on the Sensatori package but I think you get a discount from them?
There is a very good Gym and Spa where you can have most things done from hairdressing to massage Also across from the Hotel is the Hotels own Sports Centre.The pools are all lovely from the massive infinity pool family pool adult pool to the kiddies Pirate Pool (loved by my granddaughter} Also the creche and kiddies indoor play area and showtime for them around 8pm in the theatre is well loved by her For us grownups there is a nice Chill out zone for pre dinner drinks/cocktails A nice Piano Bar with excellent service and the theatre at night is a mixture of The resident Cast and Tribute Bands/Singers Some nights entertainment is better than others The hire of the Bali beds are well worth a try. Nice and comfy for a siesta they give a deal if you buy 3 days of the beds. The local village is 10mins walk along the coast nice little Market on a monday little bars and cafes surround the square
The Management at this Hotel are totally Professional. You can tell by the way the Hotel is run a totally 5 star Hotel infact I would say 5star Plus
We are all going back to Gran Melia as a family for Xmas and New Year and I know for sure that it will be just as good if not better than our last 5 visits have been.
Thank you Gran Melia your Management and Staff of this Excellent Hotel for making our holidays so amazing. With memories to treasure Sue Brooks

Room Tip: We have stayed in all different rooms and enjoyed them our least favourite would be a garden room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pablo Q, eGuestexperience at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Suebroo,

Thank you for selecting Gran Melia Palacio de Isora for you vacations, as well for taking the time to write your review in Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our services. We hope you will have a beautiful remembers of your vacation and rest sure that your pleasant comments will be reported to all the Staff.

We hope to have another opportunity to serve you again here at the Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora.

Best regards

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I have recently stayed a sensartori and thought that the food was good, however I thought that it could do with more snacks during the day. I also think that the dress code is to formal, people come on holiday to relax not dress up in suit trousers and a shirt.

• Stayed April 2013
nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

further to us returning home yesterday from the sensatori tenerife, this was a fantastic hotel, not 5 star but definately 4, this is a very grande hotel in my opinion it is to big for us, but what an experience, we went to the crete sensatori last year and much preffered this, there was always plenty of sunbeds(you cant reserve before 10.00am) the staff were so polite and hard working, we ate every night in the pangean and the choice of food was brilliant, the only down fall was the amount of times we had to ask for drinks, on one occasion i asked 4 times for our glasses to be topped up, the entertainment staff were brilliant, Steve Ben,Mark were all from crete and are doing an excellent job, and they gave my daughter Laura the chance to sing along side Ben in the piano bar, thanks guys, i would definately recommend the hotel but dont think we would go back, sorry we are booking crete, but well worth going to as the whole atmosphere was amazing

Room Tip: choose 3/4 th floor rooms but all good anyway
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
united kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Having experienced both Sensatori Crete (excellent) and Sensatori Mexico (best avoided) we booked for 12 days in Tenerife in mid-March.
On arrival at airport, we were greeted by Sensatori staff and given envelope with some basic information and shown to our taxi (pre-booked). On arrival at hotel we were checked in at main reception rather than Sensatori desk and offered an arrival drink. Check in was very smooth and hassle free. The entrance and reception area are very decorative and pleasant and the main plaza has sculptures and fountains which are lit in the evenings.
We then headed for the room ,which was well appointed and (just about) had a sea view - more a view of some of the local village shops and road down to the esplanade (but quiet). We found the decor to be very good but the lighting controls a little awkward to figure out, not helped by the fact that there was a dodgy switch in the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable giving a good night's sleep. My wife did find the iron to be pretty poor but that is a minor gripe. Room safe was free of charge and A/C was good.
The price of the drinks from the bars was overly expensive. The first couple of days we were buying bottles of cold water at 3.5 Euro each until we found out that they were on sale in the hotel shop for 1.25 Euro. Also, on the first day I went to the Oasis bar for 2 bottles of water. There was a girl there had also ordered two. She had checked out and asked to pay by credit card. The bartender didn't know how to take cc payment so told her to wait for his supervisor. During this time he served me and I signed the bar tab and as I was walking away he told her it was OK, she didn't have to pay. I asked him why I had to pay 7 Euro for water when he was giving it away free to others - a flush of embarrassement but no reply.
The general hotel areas were, in the main, kept clean.
We spent our days at the 'adult only' pool and, for the first week, it was quiet and peaceful. However, at the start of the second week, a family with older kids arrived and the kids were playing in the pool and generally being rowdy. When asked why they were there the answer was it was an adults only pool (i.e. over 16s) or for families with kids over 12. So not REALLY an adults only pool (despite there being a very large infinity pool AND a specific family pool available). The sun beds weren't the best and could be uncomfortable, the sun umbrellas could have done with being slightly larger and you were supposedly only allowed one towel a day each. The towel huts opened at 9 but we would go for breakfast at 8 and usually be at the pool around 8.30 so in order to have towels first thing we would drop the used towels at one hut, get the cards and pick up two fresh ones at the other towel hut in the afternoon - crazy!
The Pangea restaurant is the main buffet restaurant and the meals, in general, were OK although my wife wasn't too keen on the vegetables as they were invariably covered in something or other, usually cheese of which she has a dislike. Of the other restaurants, the menus were OK but nothing special. We didn't find any problems with making the necessary reservations.
We also made a few reservations in the spa for treatments and these were very good if slightly expensive. On arrival we received a map with details of Sensatori discounts, one of which included 15% off spa treatments. We had booked a few massages and received the discount but the massage we booked the day before departure wasn't discounted. We questioned this on check-out and were told that the rates had changed for the Easter weekend and a new brochure had been issued specifically showing this. We argued that we had not been made aware of this and had booked the massage within a few days of arrival so the spa agreed to apply the discounted rate.
In summary, not really a Sensatori hotel as such as it is certain rooms given over to Thomson Sensatori but other tour companies also operating within the hotel but a lovely hotel if a little out of the way.

South Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Just returned from one of the best relaxation holidays we have ever had. This is a beautiful resort, superb facilities with truly professional staff.
Our room was in a quiet spot with a garden our own bali bed and a wading pool, 7' beds, tea and coffee, double sink,double shower and a double bath with a shower all with waterfall taps wow.and great service too.
The plaza area has fountains which change colour and dance in the evening, the reception area is the best I have seen no expense has been spared in the decor or accents.
The food and the restaurants are excellent, yes there is a buffet restaurant but the surroundings and food are top restaurant quality, breakfast by the lake with its superb collection of fish coming to greet you. You are allowed to book into the a la carte restaurants as often as you like, where the food is top quality(I am a catering and hospitality tutor)
Plenty of entertainment too, very talented crew from Thomsoms provided top class shows, other nights professional entertainers brought in . There is also a lovely piano bar with Ben the classy player ready to take requests he is so good.. The hotel also provides live entertainment at the pool bar area and live musicians in the plaza area.
WE didn't sample the delights of the spa or the daytime sport but it was all there down to your personal dressing gowns and slippers.
The infinity pool is the biggest I have ever seen loads of beds available all through the day. We are a mature couple who went for the sunshine and R and R, and besides the lagoon all the other pools are acclimatised so we were able to swim all day. I specifically enquired prior to arriving about the availablity of a quiet adult pool that was acclimatised and was assured that this was the case when I phoned, but (This is the only critisizm we had) they neglected to tell us that 12 years old constitutes an adult in this hotel, this is ok when they are with parents and act accordingly but when eight teeenagers join together apparently one family!! they want to mess about and play noisily, which they are entitled to do because after all they are on holiday too, but I don't want to listen to them, when we complained then we were informed of the 12 year rule, by the way 12 year olds are also entitled to supervised play with the childrens team at the play house!!
This was the only blot on our horison on this holiday, but I do think it needs to be included in Thomsons information.

Room Tip: Main block closer to reception 3000 nos.
Dear shazzaSouthWales_UK

Thank you for selecting Gran Melia Palacio de Isora for you vacations and also for taking the time to write your review.

We are really happy to know that you have enjoyed a peaceful and relaxing stay with us.
In our Hotel you will always find us available and attentive to all your needs, the complete satisfaction of our customers is surely our main goal.

We hope to see you again .

Sincerely

Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Enjoyed another weeks holiday here.Much busier than last year as it was nearer the Easter holiday.
We had no trouble booking Restaurants, though my Hubby is an early bird! We had a room with a side view towards Alcala, the rooms are still good and the lighting still a pain!
No trouble getting sunbeds.
Any changes at all......on balance I thought food in Pangea Buffet not quite as good. At Lunchtime the salads seemed to be the same every day.
Staff were generally good, some bar staff at Pool Bar were a bit grumpy.
We never had any trouble getting refills of wine with meals, we find a smile and a few words and phrases in Spanish worked wonders!!
One day we will be back for number three visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!