“Losing the plot” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa

You added Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Los Oceanos s/n | Alcala, 38686 Alcala, Guia de Isora, Tenerife, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
GreenLeadersGold level
“Losing the plot”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Out third time at sensatori tenerife.
On previous visits i would have given 10/10 but this time (mid November) I would give it 6/10 - Unfortunately standards are slipping.

1. Whereas before we thought the hotel was well staffed this time it was difficult to find staff - especially at lunch and dinner. Quite often we would see waitresses running to and fro. Sometimes trying to get a coffee at breakfast was more trouble than it was worth. Often we would be sat at a table with no cutlery - then have to go get our own cutlery rather than wait for the staff to notice.

2. There were so many children it felt like kindergarten at lunch and dinner. There is an adults only dining area but try to get a seat there!! I remember at one dinner being surrounded on all sides by 13 children under 5 - many of them screaming the whole time we were there. Don't get me wrong I'm not against families on holiday but I did not expect to dread mealtimes due to the number of screaming kids. If you go to a "family" hotel you expect it - but this is Sensatori. It's sold as as place to relax your senses - well at mealtimes are senses were under attack from every quarter. A horrible experience.

3. We were there 7 nights. The first night the restaurants were booked up so we opted for Pangea (the buffet meal). The second night we tried to book a restaurant - all booked up so we ate at Pangea again. The third night all booked up. We complained and managed a table - but who wants to complain to get a meal? The fourth night all booked up. Bear in mind the restaurants don't open on Sunday (except ocean which is the worst) so we were quickly running out of options.

4. The entertainment!! We've had such an amazing time on previous visits but this time it felt embarrassing. It's as though the singers try to out-do each other by seeing who can sing the most obscure song possible. We looked around the room in the bar and attention directed towards the singers was minimal. Bring back Charlie green. And don't even dare talk of the Elton John show. Perhaps the worst performance I have ever seen - not fit for butlins I'd say.

From these comments you would think I hate the place - I don't - but I definitely think its not what it was. Something very special has been lost and I believe it's the fault of cutting back on staff / recruiting entertainment that's not up to par / filling he hotel with families and young kids / not concentrating on the small things that make a stay memorable.

Pick yourself up sensatori otherwise you're going to generate a bad reputation.

If you've already booked your trip here don't be disheartened - it has many pluses - especially the relaxing gardens and the food is generally very good. Wifi free in room too!! And the rooms are beautiful and well cleaned and maintained.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
  • Hungarian first
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have just returned from a week at Sensatori Tenerife. In short would I return? Yes Through Thomson? No probably not. Don't get me wrong Thomson did nothing wrong, I just can't see the benefit of travelling through them. We had one problem which I will run through before the good bits. The shower in our room leaked. I mean it flooded the bathroom. The doors weren't hung properly so didn't meet, as soon as the water came on it covered the bathroom. All the towels were used to mop up the floor. We reported it, someone came to "fix" while we were out. The next day the same thing, this time I went to the sensatori desk and they called. Someone came again while we were out, that evening it still wasn't fixed. I went back to the desk and they reported again. This time someone came while we were in the room- he saw the water on the floor- picked up the phone then handed it to me after he ranted to the person the other end- she said "madam we need to brake the floor" she put the phone down and he left. That was the end of it. Nobody came back, no extra towels given and no shower repaired. This wouldn't have been an issue however my husband is disabled so couldn't use the bath, and the first time we discovered the "flooding" he slipped on the water and hurt himself. At the least we would have liked to have been offered a different room. This happened in the first 2 days of a 8 day holiday.

The goods: Food- great even in Pangea! The portions in ocean club are tiny and the carbonara sauce came out a jar! However the starters were lovely. We loved the ocean grill- the setting for both lunch and evening meals were perfect. The hake and the chicken satay at lunch were amazing. I don't like rice (which is what came with the satay) and they happily swapped it to canarian potatoes (which are beautiful)
The main pool was freezing and so salty! You could see the salt and it put us off! We would either spend our time in the adults only pool area or on the roof top chill out area. The bali beds are great. Number 48 is a great spot at only €20 for the day- you don't get any service but were not big drinkers. We did also use 41 which was €35 but you got to little bottles of water and a plate of fruit. Not worth the extra €15! The hotel follow the no reserving sun loungers before 10am policy which is great.
The entertainment- good in places! The entertainment manager (very cheesy man who made it feel like we were at butlins) kept saying flown in for 1 night just for you... when we would hear that the same act was doing the show the following week! Upon a little research you can see they are there for 4-5 days every few weeks! The sensatori show cast were fab! very very talented.
All in all a great hotel. The rooms are better if you stay in a gran melia room (slightly bigger and better location). The parts of the hotel run by Gran Melia are amazing- the thomson side needs to be less bognor!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I wasn't going to write a review (I have never done one before) but I felt I had to after reading some reviews on here. I honestly do not know what Hotel they went to because this place is as close to a perfect holiday I think I will ever get.
My partner and I went for a week in the beginning of september. I genuinely can't comprehend people moaning about children so much, It's a family resort, are they expecting parents to leave their kids in the room? The whole time I was there we didnt have one single problem.
The main buffet restaurant (Pangea) has an oustide seating area which was adults only and we only had to wait on one occasion and that was literally for less than 5 mins. It was lovely to sit and eat by the pond (although some people decided to feed the fish- which promptly saw signs being put up) The food was different every single day, and I am a notoriously fussy eater and yet I filled my plate every day with something amazing. The fresh salads were delicious, the meat was perfect, and Loved the addition of the soup every day.
Breakfast was probably my favourite meal of the day. you could go classic english or have pancakes or eggs freshly cooked. I loved the addition of the Krispy Kreme style doughnuts and often saw kids with piles of these on their plate. Having the freshly squeezed orange juice and cava was such a lovely idea and the juice was incredible.
We also ate in the Market Grill for lunch. To be honest the portion sizes for me were too big for a lunch (three courses for lunch) but as it was all included I think it was great value and the food was nice, what you would expect from a pool bar really.
Ocean Grill (Italian) was delicious. We ate here two nights (and we didn't have to book at 8am like people have made out- one day was about 10am the other more like 1pm) I genuinely loved my meal here, the only thing that put a dampner on it was two rude obnoxious people who insisted on smoking and complaining about everything they had ordered (when they hadn't booked)
Sunbeds are easy to find, On our first day we got there at 3pm and managed to get sunbeds right next to the pool. They could do with a few more umbrellas as families do require them quite a bit. But apart from the first day we got one every day.
We went Full board and contrary to popular comments we did not have to chase a waiter around at dinner for drinks. I ordered a wine and a soft drink straight away and then had my drinks topped up sometimes without even a request. The Italian was especially good with topping up drinks.
I honestly cannot fault this trip one bit. The rooms are beautiful, the grounds are beautiful. I don't think I could sing its praises enough. The night I got back I was already looking at booking for next year.
Please do not listen to the negative comments, it will mean that you miss out on a truly amazing place.
I cannot wait to go back again.

Room Tip: we stayed in 2803. It was the perfect in between from the pool to the Pangea. Would request this roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We have just returned from a 7 day holiday in this lovely hotel. We paid for full board which was really nice and all you needed really at a resort like this one. If you are going to go 'all inclusive' then just find out what it includes before you book it. I say this because, when we got to the hotel we were told that we could upgrade for 35 euros a day to an 'all inclusive' silver package which includes soft drinks (freshly squeezed juices not included), white wine, red wine, rose and beer throughout the day (full board is only these drinks at breakfast, lunch and dinner). Now, if i had booked 'all inclusive' I would be annoyed that the drink variety is limited. You could then upgrade to the gold package which was about 70 euros a day per person and that included all drinks e.g. cocktails, spirits, tea, etc. So an 'all inclusive' package, in my opinion, isn't really worth it, you might as well just book full board.
At breakfast and dinner we always waited for about 5-10 minutes to wait for a table outside (in the adult only section) which was quieter and a more relaxing/romantic atmosphere. The food was good, always varied and there was also 3 restaurants that are included in your full board package which made a nice change from the main buffet restaurant. The service in the restaurant was good but you literally had to chase the waiter around the restaurant to get another glass of wine or beer, and by the end of the week this had actually got slightly tiring.
The rooms were lovely and very spacious and the attention to detail did not go unnoticed e.g. two sinks in the bathroom (this may sound silly but as a couple we are always fighting to use the sink when brushing our teeth together, but having two sinks made the process a lot happier :)). There was a door which slid across from the room to the hall, which kept the hall and the room and the bathroom seperate. Now this may not be important to some people but for us, because my partner is a light sleeper, it is much better to have a door before the main door so that there is less chance of any noise coming through in the evening when people are going back to their rooms. The doors are also self closing so that they don't slam shut. The rooms were really quiet and we only got woken by our noisy neighbours two nights out of the 7.
There were quite a few sun chairs but if you want a good space then be prepared to try and get out there early :)! But my partner and I got out there about 1030 each morning and we always got a decent space.
They have a system in place which is suppose to help the environment and your pocket. You have a 'help the environment' (something like that) card hanger that you can hang on your door (before 8am in the morning), this will mean that on that day, the cleaner won't come and clean your room. This earns you 20 euros credit which you can put towards a spa treatment, drinks at the bar or hire beds by the pool. This is really good and my partner and I did this 3 times which earnt us 60 euros. We had a 95 euros Bali bed experience which included a bed at the pool, champagne, food, after sun, sun cream, newspaper and a fruit selection. At the end of our stay 60 euros was taken off our hotel bill which meant we paid 35 euros for this bali bed experience. So this is a really good idea as it saves money and lets you do things you may not have been able to afford (we didn't need a cleaner everyday so it worked out well).
I really liked this hotel but I did feel that there is too much of a hierarchy, for example, there are many areas that are cordoned off, which are only available to "red level" guests who have paid a lot more money to be there. I think if you pay to go to a nice hotel, you should be able to experience all of the hotel without feeling that you have been put in the "economy" section of the hotel (saving the better service and smilier faces for the people that give them more money). It may be a negative attitude but I just felt that it was always a matter of "look what you could have" rather than what you had. Overall though, it is a nice resort, we had a lovely holiday and we both went back a stone heavier from the lovely food :)!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Room Tip: Get a top floor room if you can
Stirling, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Be warned (at least when we were there during the first two weeks of November) this is very much a family destination and geared up for children (especially in our first week it seemed about 90% of guests were families). If you are looking for peaceful ambiance at mealtimes, without paying a hefty premium at the Duo, Nami or Red Level restaurants, then choose your dates carefully.

Thomson promote their Sensatori hotels as “5* hotels that fuel the senses”. For us, on this type of chill out holiday, the one sensory experience we didn’t expect was the vibration of screaming children running around tables. Not a 5* experience so a major negative.

Having said that, during the day it is easy to find quiet areas in the beautifully landscaped grounds where the children’s pool is at one side and the adult’s only pool is well away at the other end, along with adult only areas on a lower garden terrace amongst the palm trees.

The architecture of the hotel building, particularly the public areas, is on a grand scale. Sort of Spanish/Moorish style. The central plaza certainly has the WOW factor. It’s about the size of a football pitch with many fountains which are lit up at night. Every evening at 9, 10 and 11pm there is a short sound, light and water show with the jets of the various fountains spouting in time to the music.

Food is very good. We were booked through Thomson on full board plus which was excellent value for money particularly as it included wine and water with both lunch and dinner. We had no problem getting our wine glasses topped up. The main restaurant is the buffet style Pangea. The variety, quality and quantity of the food is amazing and can’t see how anyone could not fail to find something to suit their palate. Being pesco-vegetarians, of special note is the variety of really fresh fish which you can select from a section of the buffet and have freshly cooked as you watch. Meat eaters have a huge choice. There are three other restaurants (Club Ocean, Oasis Grille and Market Grill) available in the full board rate but are á la carte and need to be booked (can only book a day ahead and as the Club Ocean has limited tables need to be down at the booking screens when they open at 8am). We tried the Club Ocean a couple of times just for a change but choice and quality of food was poor and as was the service, for us just not worth the hassle.

Accommodation – originally we booked a garden room but very pleased we upgraded to a sea view and had a lovely large bedroom with balcony overlooking the pond and stream running down to the pool areas. We took advantage of the 20 euro credit for each day you opted not to have your room cleaned and used this to book a bali bed for each of our last five days, lovely experience especially as included champagne and water. If you’re looking for peace and quiet go for beds 12, 13 or 11 (in that order) right on the ocean front.

All staff, almost without exception, were very friendly, cheerful and helpful. Loved their greeting when you passed – saying Hola (hello) and putting their right hand over their heart. As with anywhere in the world politeness, respect and a smile go a long way in getting a positive response to any request.

Would we go back? Maybe if we chose the dates better. April/May could be a better time to avoid large numbers of children.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had a 2 week holiday here at the end of October/beginning of November, enjoyed every minute of it and would thoroughly recommend this hotel.
The location is beautiful - mountains in the background and views over the Atlantic to La Gomera. We sat on our balcony most evenings and watched the glorious sunsets. There is a coastal path at the back of the hotel, it is 5 minutes walk to the little town of Alcala where there are a few shops, supermarket etc..
The hotel is luxurious, very contemporary and decor throughout is beautiful. It is a very large hotel, there are many areas to relax, sit and chill.
We were extremely impressed with our room. It was on the top floor, was very large and spacious and beautifully decorated. There was a huge, very comfy bed and sofa bed for our son. The balcony was large and roomy too and had a wonderful view. The bathroom was luxury itself - as big as the room with a huge bath, double basins and a fantastic rainshower. There was a little fridge in the room for storing water/soft drinks and lots of wardrobe space. The only slight downside, we run our own business and have to work while we are away - there was nowhere to sit while using the laptop. We had to kneel down by a little table which was a bit uncomfortable!
The food was great too. We loved the Pangea restaurant - the buffet style restaurant, thought there was a tremendous choice every evening and something for everyone. Despite being there for 2 weeks, we did not find it at all repetitive. Our son adored the ice cream wheel and was a frequent visitor to the chocolate fountain. We also ate at the Italian restaurant (really delicious food) and Oasis Pool and Grill - waiter service, good food and stunning views over the infinity pool. I do agree with the comments about drinks though, sometimes we did have to wait a little too long for our drinks and some waiters had to be reminded several times. This could be improved upon.
There is so much to do at the hotel - every sports activity under the sun, water walking, sea scooters and more. Our son participated in some of the activitites and loved them - there is no extra cost, so I thought this was wonderful value. On an (unusual) wet day they also organised a movie day and games for the children, so this highly impressed us. The Playhouse for the children is very well equipped and they run lots of sessions. Our son went to one of these, but I think at 9 he has outgrown what they were offering there.
There are several pools, all very nice with plenty of sunbeds. The infinity pool is huge and stunning but a little chilly. We found it extremely busy at the family pool on Saturdays - impossible almost to get a sunbed near the pool, but every other day was fine.
We loved the location here - it was away from it all - no tacky touristy attractions nearby, but still convenient for exploring. You could walk into the little town along a beautiful coastal path. Check out El Rincon just off the market square - the best mojitos I have ever tasted for just 3 Euros. The Cash and Carry on the coastal path also sells extremely cheap water, soft drinks and wines.
We hired a car - essential and I would definitely recommend this. Tenerife is stunning, the scenery is amazing and there is so much to see - do not just stay at the hotel. We booked it in the little travel agent in Alcala town centre - they were superb and it cost 38 Euros per day with all taxes and insurance included. We went to the north of the island, the mountains, Teide volcano and Masca - we loved exploring so much we actually hired the car for 5 days.
This hotel is perfect, we loved every minute of our stay here. I thoroughly recommend it, it is stylish, contemporary, great location and suitable for families, couples - right across the board.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!