“Luxurious hotel. Well worth the money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa

You added Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Los Oceanos s/n | Alcala, 38686 Alcala, Guia de Isora, Tenerife, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
GreenLeadersGold level
“Luxurious hotel. Well worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed for a week here travelling as a couple. The room was exceptionally well fitted with very contemporary furniture and decor. All areas of the hotel were spotlessly clean. We enjoyed food at all the restaurants and the selection available was vast Although quite expensive Duo and Nami are well worth a visit. We stayed on an all inclusive basis. There were never any problems being served other than one night in the theatre where there was only one waiter trying his best to serve everyone.

Only minus points were the mini bar in the room. Usually all inclusive at least have some beers and pops included in your room. Also although you wear the all inclusive wristbands you still have to sign for everything you have which is a bit tedious.
However I would definitely recommend the hotel and we hope to return next year.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
  • Hungarian first
Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked through Thomsons for w/c 7 October and despite reading some negative reviews on this site we found our week away to be absolutely superb.

We like a high standard of accommodations and this is exactly what we got. We had a room on the 5th floor with a lovely sea view and although we were near the Oasis Bar we were not disturbed by noise. In fact we loved getting ready for dinner to the sound of cool jazz drifting in through the window. Sitting in the Oasis Club bar with a G & T, watching the sunset to this music will be a memory that will take me through the winter.

The room was spacious, well furnished and spotlessly clean. Part of my holiday is no housework so we didnt take up the offer of 20 euros payback if you opted not to have it refreshed. However each to their own as plenty of people did take advantage of this offer.Slippers and bathrobes were available, English TV channes and good toiletries which were replaced regularly. The bed was huge as was the bath tub.

The hotel complex is stunning and we were ideally placed as we were very near the Pangea restaurant and the adult pool.
The staff were extremely pleasant and attentive and they always found us a table in the adult only area in the Pangea overlooking the Koi carp pond. We also dined at the Market Grill, Oasis Pool Grill and Club Ocean - we found all of these to be of a high standard and the staff worked hard to ensure you were happy.

We had booked the al inclusive deal and although we dont class ourselves as dipsomaniacs' ie we dont normally drink through the week , we found this package to be economical as the drinks are expensive - (a G&T is 8.5 euros). We paid approx 20 euros a day and by having soft drinks and water through the day and then a drink before dinner and a couple after we certainly got our moneys worth. We found very few restrictions worth mentioning.
The waiters in the Oasis Club bar were superb especially Jose and Jorg - they were very friendly and extremely efficient. We had a Spanish lesson every night whilst they served our drinks which was very amusing Although the staff speak English they loved it when you attempted to speak Spanish and Judith on reception at the Pangea was really friendly and was delighted when we tried out our latest Spanish phrase.
The piano bar is a very pleasant way to end your evening listening to Kevin play and sing a variety of different tunes to suit all ages.

Unfortunately I observed some very rude Brits whilst there which was disappointing - You reap what you sow folks and we found everyone from the cleaners, to reception to the waiters to be extremely helpful and friendly.A cheery good morning / evening goes a long way - especially in Spanish!!

Yes there are a number of toddlers in the hotel but as we stuck to the adult only pool and restricted areas in the restaurants this wasnt a problem to us.If you want a stricltly adult only hotel go Thomson Gold!!

What was especially pleasing was the lifeguard removing towels reserving sunbeds before 10am around the adult pool. There was no need to do this as there were plenty of beds and the no child rule was striclty observed.It was peace itself in this area throughout the day.You could change your pool towels every day and the waiter service around the pool was also included in the all inclusive package.

So all in all an excellent holiday and we are already considering rreturning next October.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

The hotel is beautiful, we had a fabulous time and we will definitely be going back. However, like other reviewers we had some surprises but we believe these were created by Thomson not the hotel. This hotel is on the south side of the island where the weather is much better than on the north, although we only found out about the difference this can make from people we'd met. Mainly though, on booking I think we were not given all the information that we could have been, in order to make a more informed choice - basically the rule of thumb is the more you pay the better the service and the more options you have open to you. For more information about the various levels and options I highly recommend looking at the hotels own website rather than relying on the Thomson brochure/staff, BEFORE you book! Warning - 'All inclusive' is NOT the same as 'full board +' and Red Level is not the same as a Red Level Villa. As far as we could work out, the best possible service is reserved for Red Level Villa guests; these villas are beautiful and you get your own private Bali bed (in the sun!), a walk in wardrobe, a mini pool, a 'butler', and you can order food from any of the restaurants to your own semi-private pagoda. If you are travelling as a couple eg on honeymoon, then I highly recommend going outside of school holidays and paying the extra for Red Level (this is also available through Thomson), as you are away from the rooms containing children and you get a separate pool (plus other bonus features such as happy hour!). Though we never got around to using many of the other bonus features. There is still another adults only pool if you don't want pay more, though you don't get the pampering that you do at the red level pool. As someone has already said I don't recommend the garden rooms with Bali beds as they all look like they don't see any sun and some don't have any privacy at all. You'd be better off in a ground floor (weirdly called second floor) terraced pool facing room. That said there are a good number of Bali beds arranged around the edges of the various pools (including the family pool) but you do need to book early to get one; yes you can book when you get to the hotel, and they are numbered so that you can pick the one you like. We didn't bother with a Bali bed in the end as there were always a good number of sunbeds available, including ones in the shade. Yes there are some (we found very few) surly staff but I've found that to be the case in pretty much any hotel and I often find that if you can speak a few grateful words in their own language it can make a great deal of difference. We found the food to be mostly lovely though veggies beware, especially around the buffet as the meat selections and cheese/fish/veggie choices are not kept separate so the same tongs used to pick up cheese will most likely have been used to pick up the hams! Also as a nut allergy sufferer I found that nothing was advertised as containing nuts, including the mostly unmanned dessert station. Although, in the booked restaurants staff were very quick to replace items containing nuts, it would be great if they could come up with a menu logo to indicate whether what you are ordering actually contained them rather than just the usual notice about 'all products may contain nut traces'. Take your epi pen and a bag of anti-histamine just in case! Europeans don't seem to get vegetarianism or allergies.There is no beach yet, but they are building one at the moment, which they plan to open around May 2013. We didn't find the building noise at all intrusive even though we were at the Red Level end, nearest to the works. Other people may not like the noise though. Also the shops, there were two in the hotel (that we could find!) when we were there but don't expect anything too fabulous/useful (pair of swimming trunks for 150 euros aside!!) and the nearby town, Alcala has lots but we found it not particularly geared for tourists - we couldn't find a single postcard anywhere! We did spot a turtle chasing the trainee scuba divers in the harbour though, which was great. Oh, and the nearby cash and carry has a no bag policy - you have to use the provided lockers, which are right next to the door as you enter; beware the super surly security chap!! It has great prices on local booze though! One last word of wisdom, if you have a late flight home you can get an extra 2 hours free use of your room if you have a MAS card and can book a shower room slot. The MAS card is a free to join membership scheme which Melia group operates and as they have hotels all over the world (including Sol hotels and others) it might be worth signing up to it long or short term. All in all we had a great time and hope to go back soon, although we now know more and will most likely book direct with the hotel rather than through Thomson.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Just a tip for anyone whos about to book this hotel....

I have made a revie on here before and I had one of the best holidays of my life with nothing to complain about. Im planning on returning bext year this time through Thompson which seems to be where the problem lies. I booked my previous stay direct with the hotel and there wasnt much difference in price, n with a cheap quick flight with Ryanair (which wasnt as bad as I imagined and had heard) the price altogether was probably the same or a little less than Thompson but with the 5star service. Therefore try booking direct with Gran Melia, I went half board as Im not a massive lunch eater and theres a shop that sells alcohol across the way where the most expensive bottle of wine was 2E!! Unless you are looking to get absolutely wasted AI is a waste of money

• Stayed June 2012
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

It was my second visit to this resort, with first one 3 yeaars ago.I have stayed for 7 nighths both times with small dauther (6).
I'm ooking for pretty hotels with good service in quite location when I travel with my child and this exactly I'm getting in Palacio de Isora.The hotel generally met my expectations at the firs visit and that's why I had decided (first time ever to come back to the same hotel for vacation).
The hotel and grouds are very beutiful - nothing had changed and worsen from my first visit. Eveythng is perfectly clean and well kept. The resort is big but you are given a map at the check-in and it is good to have it handy when you leave your room:).
There was no problem with sun chairs even though the hotel was very busy when we were there (Sept.). Balinese beds can also be reserved with no much leadtime. Not the same however with the restaurants - my advise is to reserve when you arrive, otherwise there will be no space or hours which you prefer available. As to food - it is a matter of taste of course, but in my opinion any criticism on the offer comes from people that like to complain in general. The tematic restaurants I have visited (those, which allow kids) were all good and so was the offer in the main restaurant Pangea - never met cold meat or any other problem mentioned in other reviews. Variety was huge and everything was perfectly fresh.
As to prices - I don't find them higher than in other places of this kind. It is 5 stars of course, so don't expect McDonalds' level either.
Rooms are big (min 48m2) and pretty, everything has worked properly in our. We had front seaview room as I love to look at the see at all times of day and night, but having garden view on the ground level with direct acces to the pools is also a nice option I guess.
There is no beach in the hotel - you can go to the nearby Playa de Arena if you wish (by car, bus or taxi - 7-8 Euro) but ocean in Tenerife is very strong, waeves are big and aggressive so swimming I would recommend rather in the hotels' 260 m salt water pool which is fabulous.
Thea are also some things that could be improved :
smoking - if you are non- smoker you are no preferred guest I guess as smoking is allower literally everywhere except of under roof parts of restaurants, non-smoking roms and SPA, INCLUDING FAMILY POOL AREA!!!!!!!! The last place is in my opinion UNACCEPTABLE- the is an Adult Oly Area of hotel - Red Level, when children are not allowed and this is undestandable. However children are offended by smokers at "their" area of family pool (I don't mean kid's only pool with club, but the Family Pool where mainly families with kids of smaller age come) and this I neither understand nor accept. GRAN MELIA please shape it up - you call yourself a family place but in reality if parents look for healthy place for their kids they cannot be perfectly happy in this hotel. Hopefully this will be solved before European Union forces appropriate law regulating smoking ;).
I would aslo have few comments on roome service which was very uneven - on some days our room was made just after breakfast, on others up till 1 pm is was not touched and already on 4 pm the turndown service came... There is also a green option of not using room service at all (awarded with 20 Euro voucher) and we used it twice but on some occasions it was needed and then we waited really long for it to be cleaned.
But overall it is a great, beautifull place and we wil efinitely be back.

Room Tip: All rooms are great inside but choosing a garden view in the middle of high season you my land with...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here via Thomsons at the end of September 2012 though their "Sensatori" scheme. There was some confusion prior to the holiday but Sensatori is only the name for the top layer of Thomson hotels of which the Gran Melia Tenerife is one of them. Thomsons have about 20% of the rooms I think.

On arrival we were taken on our own smaller coach directly to the hotel, luggage was dealt with by porters and check in, with a drink, was very calm and easy. It was very late but there was a cold buffet available to eat if you wanted it which I was impressed with.

We were staying on the full board plus package and despite other reviews it is very easy to see what is and isn't included and if you can't work it out the waiting staff are more than happy to help. The selection of restaurants is fantastic and we ate somewhere different every night - paying for a few ourselves as a treat.

Dinner and lunch comes with wine and beer or soft drinks (including refils) so unless you tend to drink a lot I'm not sure all inclusive is that good a value for money. You can pay for your drinks if you wanted the better wine (although they only have one other option by the glass which I think needs to be improved) or other beer brands. Beer and wine were about €4 each. The cash and carry is very nearby to stock up on water and drinks for the room - very cheap and less than 5 mins walk away.

The pool area and sunbeds were all lovely, we based ourselves around the infinity pool which was enormous and there were showers everywhere so you could easily wash off any salt from the pool. There are lots of daily activities should you choose to get involved - we didn't but from afar they looked popular. There is no beach but there are a couple of nearby resorts you could easily travel to if you wanted a beach. Not having a beach wasn't an issue to us as it was nice not to have sand everywhere.

There isn't much in Alcala itself although you could walk to the nearby resorts. The only things we did out of the hotel were a trip to Siam Park which was great and the Thomson Tiede by night which although the scenery was impressive and worth seeing the trip itself was a waste of money and the dinner was awful in comparison to what you were missing out on in the hotel.

On the last night we had a late flight so we extended our check out until 6pm for €50 - which really I think should be included. If you are on a late flight though you get your lunch and dinner plus drinks included at Pangea which was great as meant you still got a proper meal and none of the usual waiting around with night time flights.

Finally a few recommendations: The food in Duo is amazing and the only place we found with a full wine list by the glass in the hotel - would very much recommmend. The "free" Italian is also very good but you need to get up early to book that one! The Terrace (red level restaurant) probably isn't worth the extra money although it is still nice but Duo is better. Nemo's piano bar was also a favourite with us as the pianist/singer is very good and in my opinion much better than the "Sensatori Caast" who were performing in the shows.

Enjoy your holiday!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
WEST YORKSHIRE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

What a fantastic relaxing week we had and would recommend it. The hotel is impressive and well thought out. The room is nice and relaxing, we paid for a sea view which was nice watching the sun go down but make sure you get a balcony without a concrete wall because when you sit down the concrete wall is the only view. If you choose not to have your room cleaned then you get 20 euros credited to your account which we took advantage of. The food is very nice with lots of choice the buffet is casual and the others a bit more smart casual. The food and the atmosphere in the buffet was that good we ate there quite often, sitting outside is the nice area by the lake full of fish. The staff work hard and are very pleasant and very efficient. If you are not all inclusive then the drinks are not cheap, vodka and coke 8 euros, beer 5, cocktails 8 to 9 euros. We hired a Bali bed by the pool for 95 Euros which came with veurve clicquot champagne, sun cream, fruit and water. Free wifi. Entertainment was on most nights very good singers and fab chinese acrobats and soul singer the stage or lack of it let them down, think it was a function room made into a theatre.
Would recommend !! this as a relaxing holiday and heard lots of good things about other sensatori resorts.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!