“Oh my! Yum!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Melbourne, Florida
“Oh my! Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

After a long day hiking in the Abel Tasman we scrambled out for dinner. Not sure of where to hit and what we were in the mood for, we found The Tap right across the street from the convenient grocery store and figured we'd give in and grab a bite. We were not disappointed and had one of the best meals of our entire Down Under adventure right here.

I ordered the Speedy Gonzales pizza (I really craved a taste of mexican) and my companion ordered the fish and chips. We sampled some regional beers on tap while soaking up the fresh air and down-home atmosphere. Our meals arrived plenty quick and were exactly what we needed. My pizza was delicious - Mexican pizza in NZ?? Oh yes, mmmm yes indeed. And I stole several bites of my companion's fish and chips and have to say, the fish was perfectly done. Light, airy and crisp batter with a perfectly cooked filet tucked inside.

We went to hundreds of eateries on our trip and this place, by far, had the best fish and chips. There was no comparison. Can't speak to their pizzas over all... no one else in NZ or AUS offered another Mexican pizza, but mine was divine. :)

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hong Kong, China
“Great pub with great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

A really good selection of beers, in a laid back spot with some outdoor seating. The downstairs part has been empty for as long as anyone remembers, but come up stairs and you find a great, friendly local pub. Good beers on tap, and great pizzas if you are hungry

Visited December 2013
Nelson, New Zealand
“Enjoyable evening, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We went on a Thursday night to The Tap and was surprised if was a bit quiet. Just three other couples. A nice place with outside tables available which were being used on the lovely summer evening. Had runout of my hubby's choice of beverage so not a good start but barman very apologetic and friendly. We had a meal and I chose the green thai curry mussels (starter) with a salad as my main and they were delicious. Would go back just to have those especially to use the ciabatta bread to soak up the juices. My hubby had the Tap burger which came with salad and fries but I did not hear him raving about it and he is a bit of connoisseur of burgers. Suggest the burger bun used could be a bit smaller and not just a supermarket one. Other than that a very pleasant meal with great setting and friendly staff. Excellent value at $51 for meals and one beer.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nelson, New Zealand
“Irish /english beers with sublime pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Loved the above add in sunny decks with umbrellas for shade and you get the feel-my wife really enjoyed the wine selection with the oyster bay and greenhough sav Blancs real stars enjoy

Nelson
“Lunch Roast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Went on a Grab One Special. Hubby got the beef, which I took a bite of to ascertain, yep, more like eatting rubber. My pork was good, but the potatoes were hard. Staff were happy to get some more though. We were not asked at all if we enjoyed our meal when payment made. Just think that if you are eating out, and the meal is not great, one doesn't go back. The service could have been much better, and the food also. They didn't win us to go back. I'd rather get a $12 ish cost roast in Richmond, than get a $10 (down from $20) roast in Mapua, that's not as enjoyable.

• Visited September 2013