“Magical Countryside experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Buffalo, NY
“Magical Countryside experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed in late Ocrober, 2012. First, let it be known that this is a small restored castle in the middle of the countryside, not in Parma. It is truly is a gem of a place surrounding by a working farm for the restaurant's vegetables and flowers. There are livestock and peacocks roaming outside. Despite some other reviewers ideas, the hotel is fully restored with very modern bathrooms, complimentary water and juices in the rooms and daily fresh fruit brought to your room. Also it is impeccably clean. The staff was exceptionally helpful, especially Zeno. We were told that a private tour had been organzied of a local Parmigiano factory on our first day as well as an outling to the farms and a tour of the barns where the famed black pigs are kept to make Culatello. ALso a tour of the basement where there are 100'0s of culatello aging. Yes, there is a pervading aroma of proscuitto and parmigiano in the hotel- not a problem for us! We ate in the Michelin restaurant on the premises and also took a private 3 hr pasta making class in the kitchen with Nicholas, one of the assistant chefs. It was an experience that I truly recommend to everyone. Not often do you get this kind of one on one experience and Nicholas was an excellent teacher. After , we ate what we had made as well as complimentary wine in the kitchen. The breakfast, which was included, was served to order on silver, including culatello, parmigiano, fresh made pastries and jams, cappucino, fresh squeezed orange juice and omelets, if you wanted-- With NO additional charge. One day while sunning in one of the outdoor spaces Zeno brought us culatello, parmigiano, bread and wine- all complimentary. The food in the restaurant was world class- a true Michelin experience. A private tour was arranged in Modena at a small Balsamic vinegar plant (acetaia ca del non)-- also for free and after we purchased some of their product. Antica Corte is a true oasis in a very rural setting. We spent 4 nights there and could have easily spent a week. We took day trips to surrounding towns, including Cremona and Modena. If you're looking for a busy city type experience, look elsewhere. (But your loss). I hope we will be able to return again someday

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This hotel is way off the beaten path and very rustic! If you are looking for a farmhouse in the true sense of the word, with aromas to match, this is the place. The odor of the aging Culatello permeates the air throughout the inn. While there are only 6 room, the staff isn't overly interested in catering to your needs. The hotel is run down and the pictures on line seem like the place has been restored with modern amenities. This is misleading. The restaurant is lovely, however, we only ate breakfast there. The staff in the restaurant is exceptional. I would go for lunch, but skip the overnight. Stay some where closer to Modena or Parma if you looking to stay in Emila Romana.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Highlight of our 7 week holiday . Stunningly beautiful Farmhoiuse/castle renovated superbly yet retaining the character . Rooms exquisite with many lovely extra touches ----fresh fruit, coffee machine , free licqueuer and nibbles . Public rooms also magical . Staff could not be bettered. One felt one was at home being tended to by caring relatives . We had arrived early and were sitting in the outdoors bar when the owner came and poured us some prosecco and a plate of Parma ham arrived . None of that was added to our bill . The restaurant is just as good but I will write a separate review of it . The whole place is very obviously the lovechild of the owners and it shows . Marvellous

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
charleston,sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Antica Corte Pallavicina and loved our stay. The dinner in the restaurant was top notch with wonderful service, delicious food, and beautiful setting. The rooms were elegant in an understated manner with beautiful linens, fresh fruit, expresso machine, teas, and great tolietries.
We enjoyed the pasta cooking class one morning followed with the cellar tour. The breakfast outside under the grape arbor was outstanding. As we departed we were given a bag of the tolietries to take with us. We had a great experience and would definitely return!
Do not let one reviewer change your decision about your stay at this hotel~it is wonderful!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I also learned about Antica Corte Pallavicina from Departures magazine in 2009, and a love of culatelli (hams) from the Parma area, particularly Zibello, brought me here. I stayed for two nights in the hotel in the Stanza dei Duchi room, which was very charming (and clean). The hotel has a rustic Italian farmhouse decor, but the bathrooms are modern. My room on the second floor had a window that overlooked the Po. The restaurant is superb, with a wonderful and warm staff and great food. I took a 2 hour cooking course one day (marmalade, preserved vegetables) and found it delightful. The Italian passion for taking food from the garden to the plate in one day was a treat. The hotel staff were pleasant but didn't really show me around the hotel when I arrived. I asked one day to go to the cellar to see the curing hams (don't miss it). There is not much to do around the hotel except relax and eat. There is an indoor lounge but not much comfortable seating outdoors. There is no pool, etc.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Los Gatos, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This review is for the hotel not the restaurant. The restaurant is fabulous--clean and beautiful, serving amazing food. The hotel was not close to the level of the restaurant and was not worth the price. We had reservations for two nights and left after one. I have not done that in twenty years.
We arrived on a very hot and humid day. We walked into the reception room, which is the former kitchen. It was a terrific historic kitchen, but there was no one to greet us. There were flies everywhere and it was very hot. Finally a woman came out and gave us the keys to our suite on the second floor. There was no offer to get us help to bring the luggage up the stairs.
Antica Corte Pallavicina is a very old home that was later converted to a farm (200 years ago). It is a beautiful old building. Downstairs there are huge old rooms with hand painted ceilings that have been restored, big fire places and grand chandeliers. Unfortunately it was dirty. There was dust in the corners. The window were not clean, as I was looking out one, two beetles ran across the ledge. It entire hotel was decorated with pumpkins, in June.
Our rooms were in the tower. The bedroom on top had no windows, only two tiny (5 inch) windows are each wall. My husband liked them, he thought they were for guns. He said it was like staying overnight in a castle/museum. It was very dark. The pillows were lumpy, but the sheets were nice. Although we had the air conditioner it stayed very hot. Downstairs we had a living room with a fold away bed and a much better air conditioner. But also a beautiful old fire place that was full of spider webs. There was a small bowl of fruit on the mini bar, with a fly on it. There was an espresso maker, but with only decaf coffee for it.
The bathroom had no counter space, just a huge black sink. It was modern and cool, but not great for a woman trying to put on make up. The floor of the shower was slats of wood, with mold below. My 14 year old son loved it. The floor of the bathroom looked dirty. I took a white hand towel to clean them. By the amount of dirt on that towel, I don't think the floor had been washed in a while. I finished cleaning the bathroom floor and I tried not to think about the floors in the rest of the rooms.
On top of it all, there was this smell. Of course, it is a farm, there are smell on farms, but it was really strong. We visited the cows next door. They were contributing to it. Later on when we toured the cellar and saw the 2000 procuitos curing, I realized in the hot humid weather, they were contributing to the smell. It was very interesting to see them all, but I think it would be better in cooler weather.
I was very excited to see the river Po next to the hotel, shown on the website. We climbed up the little hill only to see a nearly empty river bed and some swamp land. Apparently it dries up in June. The gardens in the front of the hotel are absolutely gorgeous and bountiful--full of vegetables, herbs and flowers for the restaurant.
That night we had an amazing dinner. The place was full. It was very elegant, with solid glass walls. You could see peacocks roaming around. Definitely a one star place, plus very well priced, including the wine. Service was very good. We had some of the best stuffed pastas of the trip, farm egg on asparagus and gorgeous pork.
In the morning we had breakfast in the courtyard--beautiful linens and china, yummy breads and fresh eggs, but it still smelled of cow and there were lots of flies. The service was friendly and efficient.
The next day we checked out early. A very nice man offered to help us with our luggage
To be fair, but husband and son were fine with the hotel. My son liked it, but didn't like the smells and my husband thought it was OK, liking the sense of history but it was too hot and overpriced. Perhaps is is a hotel for people looking for history and farm living rather that cleanliness and comfort.
This hotel has a ton of potential. But they have a way to go to get the hotel to the level of the restaurant. I realize it is a farm-hotel, but they need to take a little more of the farm elements out of it. I would recommend eating at the amazing restaurant and staying elsewhere at this time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Modena, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I recently enjoyed a tour of Pallavicna's meat and wine production. Their estate is beautiful and worth visiting. I can't speak to the accommodation as I didn't stay there overnight, but our group of 15 each paid 35euros for lunch assuming it would be a complete meal. But it turned out to be a snack, composed of simple bread and a selection of cured meats, sweet wine and an unpleasant dessert!! If I knew that’s what they were serving I would have eaten elsewhere. Bread and cured meat is not a meal, and is insulting to charge 35euros for it. When we arrived into their lovely courtyard they have an all glass restaurant, which was where I was looking forward to enjoying our meal. After the tour we ate this rushed snack in the cold, dark cantina. Again I enjoyed the tour of their estate and food productions but wished I had eaten someplace else where I could have gotten a complete, quality meal in a nice environment.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Antica Corte Pallavicina Relais? Share your experiences!