“Charming pub in wonderful location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cat Inn

The Cat Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Hoathly
The Cat Inn
You added The Cat Inn to your Saves list
North Lane, Queen's Square, West Hoathly RH19 4PP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 West Hoathly B&B and Inns
Great Brington, United Kingdom
“Charming pub in wonderful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Booked for my 40th birthday celebration and what a lovely surprise! Could not recommend it enough. Excellent food and service. Staff very welcoming and helpful. Beef pie and Ginger pudding are a must have! Look forward to going back again soon. Dawn and Andrew

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We dined at The Cat for the first time just over a week ago to celebrate a family birthday. The location is a picturesque village in rural Sussex and the 16th century building just oozes rustic charm. The bar is just what one wants from an English pub with a convivial, cozy and very real atmosphere. When I say real I mean everything is authentic, the bar crowd obviously includes locals out for a pint with their dogs and so forth. A far cry from the manufactured atmosphere one finds in so many “gastro-pubs” these days. We had reserved the “snug” which is a large table in the corner of the bar area on a raised platform set back from the bar itself. It was definitely the right choice as you are part of the bustling bar scene but yet enough removed that you still feel like you are in a private dining area.
The staff were great from start to finish, all young it seemed but well trained, efficient, polite and cheerful. As for the food – magnificent! The chef uses local suppliers wherever possible and it shows in the taste of every dish. The menu is creative but also includes a selection of traditional pub fare such as fish and chips etc. I started with the seared scallops, soft black pudding and crisp pancetta in a red wine jus. What a great dish! Others were highly impressed with the venison terrine, stuffed Portobello mushroom and the mussels. For main course all the party except one had the rib eye steak and everybody found it to be excellent, perfectly cooked as ordered and extremely flavorful. Usually in the UK I avoid steak as it just never seems to match up to steak in the USA but I was urged to try it on this occasion based on the local origin of the meat and I was definitely glad I took the advice. The one non-steak eater had the Sweet Miso & Mirin glazed Aubergine with Japanese stir fry noodles and pronounced it one of the best meals she had ever tasted. To finish we shared a variety of excellent desserts from memory the best of which to my taste at least was the White Chocolate and Apricot Brioche Butter Pudding.
The portions were very generous, the beer excellently cellared and the wine reasonably priced. When the dust settled the bill was fifty pounds (about $75) per head which is “up there” for a pub I grant you but we ate and drank very enthusiastically so overall I felt the cost was reasonable, particularly considering the gourmet quality of the food.
I would definitely recommend The Cat for dining and eagerly look forward to dining there again the next time I am in that part of the UK. T/A classifies The Cat as a hotel and it does indeed offer four rooms if you want to stay there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Arrived on a bitterly cold grey late afternoon but our welcome was warm and friendly. The room was wonderful with spectacular views over the Downs with the village church in the foreground. Wandering down to the bar we sat in front of a log fire enjoying a before dinner drink. The evening meal was simple food well cooked and presented but the breakfast was one of the best we have ever had. Thank you for 2 really special nights!! The Taylors

Crawley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Bad meal, inattentive staff,steak was underdone,sent it back to kitchen,came back the same,no interest from staff what so ever,could not eat it,still got charged in full!!!!!waist of money and time,never go back again(((((((

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

It's rare to come across restaurant which is so good in some ways but very poor in others. I drove up from Brighton a couple of weeks ago for Sunday lunch with friends. The initial impression was good. It's got a cosy bar, a clean comfortable modern restaurant at the rear and the staff were friendly and the service was excellent.

However then we come to the food. It's not inexpensive. A three course Sunday lunch worked out at well over £30 including drinks. This is almost "proper" restaurant pricing and well above what I'd expect to pay in a pub. Thankfully I wasn't doing the paying. At this price I would expect the food to be perfectly prepared. Unfortunately it wasn't. I had mussels as a starter. They were OK but mostly rather miserable little bits of flesh in small shells. They were nowhere near as good as the same dish I'd had in a Brighton restaurant a couple of weeks earlier for which I'd paid the same price!

Then there was the roast Sirloin. I can only assume one chef did the meat which was rare as requested and another did the vegetables which were terrible. It's a long time since I had grossly overcooked vegetables in any restaurant or pub. But they did try to compensate for the mushy cauliflower, limp carrots and soggy kale with near bullet hard roast potatoes. This wasn't a pleasant dish but I refrained from loud complaints because my friends didn't want a fuss.

Finally there was the sticky toffee pudding which I'm pleased to say was just about OK but at £6 it should be.

Overall a mixed bag and not one I'd care to experience again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

A group of us went to the cat inn last night for my birthday dinner and they were fantastic. The service was brilliant even though they did have a booked out restaurant they were still very attentive. The food was beautiful and the atmosphere was great, plus they let us have the table all night as we were a big group. Thank you for making an evening with my friends so great :)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

My partner booked the Cat Inn for my birthday which is also Valentines Day so the bar and restaurant were packed but still had a friendly welcome from the owner who showed us to our room. Room No.2 split level very spacious nice bathroom. Set meal in evening for Valentines night but a great choice. Service with a smile from frirnfly staff and good food served hot. Couldn't fault it really apart from a small table which felt a bit cramped. Good nights sleep with a great cooked breakfast in the morning. Well worth a visit, would certainly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to The Cat Inn? Share your experiences!