“Delightful ..... but not quite what it was” 4 of 5 stars

Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vowels Lane, West Hoathly RH19 4LJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Hoathly
Sydney
“Delightful ..... but not quite what it was”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I first visited Gravetye in 1980 for our anniversary dinner, at that time we lived not that far away. It was so good in fact that the experience lingered in our memories for over 30 years. We now live overseas so on returning to England last year i planned to surprise my wife by staying at the hotel. Turning into the drive brought back so many memories this impressive building looked just the same as we remembered it. We were given a delightful, beautifully furnished room complete with chilled champagne and regrettably, a far too lumpy bed. Since our last visit the manor has changed hands and although now owned I believe by a French group I would describe the service as adequate however the food was not quite up to scratch for such a highly regarded hotel. The breakfast was below par in our opinion and for some reason the service that morning was awful, my wife asked three times for toast and she still did not get any. On leaving they double charged me for the champagne which had been pre-paid on booking, however when this was pointed out they cheerfully altered the bill. All in all we enjoyed our stay as it had sentimental connections and yes we would go back again, however it has lost quite a lot of its 'English' charm since our initial visit. The famous gardens are stunning.

Room Tip: All the rooms are delightful but make sure the bed is not lumpy
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew T, Manager at Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your belated review from July last year. Thirty years on we have tried to keep Gravetye special as a ‘quintessential’ English Manor with an amazing garden. I am disappointed to hear your bed was uncomfortable, during our refurbishment in 2011 we replaced all the mattresses, it sounds as though it was a problem with the base which I’m sure has been dealt with as part of our routine maintenance. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the UK and I will make sure you have an efficient breakfast service!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Horsham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

When we arrived, we found a splendid building in truly wonderful grounds, leaving us with great anticipation of what was to come.
We had agreed to have lunch with friends and duly met them in the hotel. This was our first visit. The pre-lunch service was efficient and not unfriendly, although somewhat pretentious, as, we felt, was the approach of most of the hotel and dining room staff throughout our visit. Nevertheless, we found the experience to be enjoyable - until we the time came to eat.
We had ordered from the £27.50 set lunch menu which, although unexciting, we thought would more than fulfil our requirements.. When the food arrived, we found the contrary to be the case.
The issue was not the quality of the food - although in my experience, the same level of quality could be found in any decent town centre restaurant. The problem, in the opinions of all of us, was the quantity.
The starters, soup or parma ham salads, were just about ok, but the main courses, with small portions of either chicken or fish and sparse vegetables, disappointed across the board. The desserts were, in all our opinions, disappointing in the extreme. One of my companions expressed the view that her dessert was little more than "stains on the plate".
With a pre-lunch drink each and a reasonably nice bottle of wine and coffee, the bill was just a few pence under £230 for the four of us.
We left with the firm opinion that we would rather have paid more than this, not inconsiderable amount, and had a dining experience which had match our impressive surroundings. This meal did not do that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew T, Manager at Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am concerned that you were not happy with the size of the dishes. You dined from the daily lunch menu which we have always felt was generally an acceptable size when choosing a three course lunch. Yes you are correct many high street restaurants offer larger portions. The dessert of ‘white chocolate mousse with rhubarb, pistachio and green olive tuile’ is a popular choice from our daily menu. Since your visit we have added more choice to this menu, which has been well received.
Grafton, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This was my 3 rd visit to Gravetye , we had a fabulous room ,ASH . It was our first winter visit, the gardens were austere in their Winter sparseness. Dinner was good but not exceptional , the dinning room was very quiet (only 3 tables being used) service was efficient . We will go back again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked Ash, which is the original master bedroom of the house complete with Elizabethan panelling and dual aspect windows overlooking the flower garden. Winter at Gravetye has a different kind of magic to the summer and is I feel equally as appealing. We look forward to welcoming you back to Gravetye in the summer.
Sussex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I have been a visitor many times in last ten years.

This building has the potential ( the potential) for being one of the bastions of British civilisation.

Now, having said that, I have visited some of the best restaurants in England, indeed the world. I always look at what's on my plate, and consider that against.... What have I paid. (I'm thinking, across all budget options..... Have I had value for money?)

Ok, building is great, it don't get a lot better, on this point a real bastion of civilisation. Rooms comfortable, sexy..... Yeah, nice.

Ok, lets now talk food. Er..... It's boring, not only boring, it's mind bogglingly boring. The atmosphere in the restaurants is "sir we are all, terribly middle class and posh here, and everything has to be very quiet and boring"
Me, I quite like a bit of banter with the staff. Almost impossible here, as I have not come across a member if staff who speaks the queens English. A real struggle to get any (I mean any) reasonable explanation of a menu because most of the staff do not (do not) have a command of the queens English. Frankly does not bother me for a milli second...... French, German, polish,..... Whatever) however, this is a quintisential English hotel..... Is it too much to wxpect the staff to have a basic (I mean basic) grasp of English? Well, most of them simply do not.

Restaurant is boring, boring of the most highest order. "Sir, please don't breath to loudly here, we are terribly posh" no back ground music...... No nothing!!

Having said that, food is fine. Fit for purpose. Not..... Mind blowing FI e, but none the less fine.

Lets cut to the chase, this ace lives on ghosts in the corridor, it's 30 years behind the times. All these reasons, of course explain full well why the hotel has had a "moment" in administration. It's a bloody good hotel, but Jesus Christ it's boring..... Bloody boring.

Would I go back? .... Er, yeah I would, for the rooms and food. The food service and general ambience in the restaurant is mind bogglingly boring.

Finally, I think I've probably been over kind in my review. Boring as hell. Get some you g spunky with it youngsters in this place to bring it in to the world of .2913.

• Stayed October 2012
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our second trip back to Grave Tye (staying for dinner and one night again) after our first visit a few years ago when we got married. As before, this time it was absolutely perfect. I really would struggle to fault it in the slightest way. The food was mouth watering and deserves a Michelin star (the cheese board is particularly fabulous but it's all great). The staff are extremely attentive (to the point of noticing my wife had dropped her napkin and bringing over another one to replace it) but not intrusive or stiff. The dining room is actually quite small and the ratio of staff to customers seemed to be about 1:2. We are vegetarian and special additional options were prepared especially for us. The room was very comfortable (although clearly some are bigger than others) with lovely attention to detail, such as coming in while we were downstairs eating and putting out the TV guide on the right page in case we wanted to watch anything when we got back. The food and wine did not seem over priced, given the quality. The room is really very expensive, but it's worth it for a treat, but not something most of us mortals could do all that often. The grounds are gorgeous. we came away feeling well looked after.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew T, Manager at Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
I am so pleased Gravetye lived up to expectations after your previous visit for your wedding night. Hospitality and service has always been a priority and I am happy you report that it shows. Running a luxury hotel is all about high levels of service and personal attention, but to do this effectively you need a dedicated and passionate team, which we have at Gravetye Manor.
East Sussex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went for dinner as a group of four. The restaurant was busy but still had a calm and elegant atmosphere. Service from the start (including pre-dinner drinks) was excellent, and so was the food. Our two guests enjoyed it enormoulsy as did we. For our preferences a few more good Italian or Spannish reds on the wine list would be a good idea, but we neverthess were able to choose excellent wines to our liking. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyed eveing at a great place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback from dinner last month. I am pleased you enjoyed the evening and I will speak to my restaurant manager about possibly offering more Italian or Spanish reds.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were a family group of 8 adults and 4 very young children staying here to celebrate a ruby wedding anniversary. It was a very special weekend and Gravetye was definitely the right place to stay. Every detail from the moment we arrived was taken care of, our bags were carried inside, the food was superb, the rooms delightful with views of the stunning garden and the atmosphere is charming. The staff were so friendly and helpful and coped wonderfully with our little children! Quite simply a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Family gatherings have been part of Gravetye life for many years. When we cater of family parties we always offer a private room because the dining room is limited to children over 7 years old. This works very well giving a home from feel for family occasions.

Been to Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!