My wife and I first visited Gravetye in 1980 for our anniversary dinner, at that time we lived not that far away. It was so good in fact that the experience lingered in our memories for over 30 years. We now live overseas so on returning to England last year i planned to surprise my wife by staying at the hotel. Turning into the drive brought back so many memories this impressive building looked just the same as we remembered it. We were given a delightful, beautifully furnished room complete with chilled champagne and regrettably, a far too lumpy bed. Since our last visit the manor has changed hands and although now owned I believe by a French group I would describe the service as adequate however the food was not quite up to scratch for such a highly regarded hotel. The breakfast was below par in our opinion and for some reason the service that morning was awful, my wife asked three times for toast and she still did not get any. On leaving they double charged me for the champagne which had been pre-paid on booking, however when this was pointed out they cheerfully altered the bill. All in all we enjoyed our stay as it had sentimental connections and yes we would go back again, however it has lost quite a lot of its 'English' charm since our initial visit. The famous gardens are stunning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 17 bedroom Relais & Chateaux Country House Hotel near West Hoathly in Sussex, is set in 1000 acres of wooded parklands and gardens, famous for being created by William Robinson, arguably one of England’s greatest gardeners. It is hard to believe that this secluded haven of peace and tranquility is only 12 miles from Gatwick Airport and 30 miles from Central London. Enjoy glorious vistas from this remarkable 16th Century Elizabethan Manor, relax in surroundings of timeless elegance and savour top hospitality, fine wines and exquisite food. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gravetye Manor East Grinstead
- Gravetye Manor Hotel And Restaurant England/West Hoathly, UK