“A little corner of paradise” 4 of 5 stars

Medusa Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Plaka Beach, Plaka 84300, Greece   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Plaka
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom
“A little corner of paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed 8 nights at the Medusa after visiting Santorini. We loved it so much, we only left once to go to the main town for stamps, postcards and pressies. The owners have a very professional approach while friendly and the staff is excellent too. We enjoyed everything, its isolated position, the beach, the garden, the pool and the food. Our room was comfortable, clean and had a beautiful garden/seaview. An ideal place for a relaxing break.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Spent a lovely several days based at the Medusa resort. The rooms are fresh and excellent, the beach bar is unrivaled, and the private slice of beach is sheer paradise. The family owners are personable and know the island well, helping us plan several fun day trips. The restaurant is quite good, try the calamari! Staff is warm and knowledgeable. A beautiful place to celebrate twenty years of marriage. Go soon!

Doug from Doylestown, Pennsylvania, USA

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Have been meaning to write a review for awhile. We stayed at the Medusa this past summer in July on a 2 week tour of 3 islands, Naxos, Santorini and Crete. This was my kids and ours favorite island and hotel. We loved the Medusa , especially the location, beach , pool , dinners , breakfasts, and service. My daughter wrote a paper in 4 th grade about the breakfasts and beach at Medusa, she loved it so much! We also liked the kayaking available to guest and kayaked almost every day. Rented a car for a few days to explore other beaches but also looked forward to returning to our beach and pool everyday. Really loved it and will return someday!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Lebanon, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

hayda l hotel ktir hello le2ano l maw2e3 taba3o 3al baher,wel 3alam ktir mneh,wel akel ktir ktir tayeb..l goraf ktir helween wo ndaf...lik l hotel soooo nice...............

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Tokyo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Medusa for 3 nights in the executive suite during our honeymoon at the end of August 2011. After their 'newlywed discount' we paid close to 250 euros per night, and so our expectations were fairly high. There are nice things about Medusa, as many people have said. Also we were also eager to have a good time and so we were willing to politely overlook things like the mediocre sea view (mostly powerlines, half built houses, and yes, a little sea,- see photo), the lack of privacy from at jacuzzi, the fact that we had to ask twice before they fixed the room phone, the stale bread at breakfast, the plastic bottle that sat in our garden for 2 days, the embarrassingly tattered rag that they fly which was once a Canadian flag, the extra 30 euro charge for transportation, interrupting our dinner to lecture us on not pushing buttons on the jacuzzi, hanging our laundry (underwear and all) to dry in a public walkway and so on.

But we had an incident where they pushed things too far.

On our first night we brought some laundry to be cleaned. When they returned the laundry 2 days later, we noticed that it included the t-shirt of another guest, and that my wife's top was missing. Immediately I brought them the t-shirt and informed them about the missing garment. We were told that housekeeping had not delivered all our laundry and that they would bring it soon. They didn't bother checking if this was true, even though it was clear from the other guest's t-shirt that they had already made a mistake; and it wasn't true - there were no more clothes coming. If they had bothered speaking to housekeeping right away, perhaps the situation could have been easily resolved. On our third morning, when we were packing for check out, I asked again about the garment and only then did they start looking for it. I spent my last morning there running around describing it to various staff members, showing them a photo of it, and repeatedly explaining that it was not a T-shirt (it was a kind of fancy camousal/tank top thing). It wasn't a fun departure.

Ok, they made an honest mistake. It could have happened anywhere. But if you were a hotel that was planning to take 750 euros for a three night stay, and ignored their problem when they brought it to your attention, how would you respond to those guests? I was expecting an acceptance of responsibility, a sincere apology, an offer to refund the garment, and some redress for the inconvenience that they caused, e.g., comping one of our meals or waiving the transportation fee (we shared the van with another guest - it would have cost them nothing), something like that and we would have left with no bad feelings.

Instead, they did none of that, there was no proper apology and they asked us to pay them the 20 euro laundry fee (for the service of losing the shirt). Their 'plan' was to somehow get our garment back from the guest whose t-shirt we received (they had left the hotel by then) and send it to us. This seemed pretty sketchy so I wanted to talk about what they would do if they couldn't get it back, but they absolutely refused to even discuss it, they insisted that we would get it in a few days. The feeling was that they wanted us to pay and leave, treating the status of the garment as irrelevant toward the bill. I felt that if I had been louder and angrier we would have gotten a far more serious response from them, but it was our honeymoon, so I tried to stay polite.

And then. . . nothing.

Nearly two weeks later, I sent them an email asking what was going on, and they said that they had not been able to contact the other guest, and then few days later, gave a rather curt email saying that it was in fact lost. Oops.

At this point I was fairly ticked off and sent them an email saying so. It was filled with words like 'unsatisfied', 'disappointed', 'unprofessional', 'indifferent treatment' and the like. It was not especially friendly in its tone, but relatively restrained, and not at all inappropriate it the context. Far from coming forth with a real apology, they responded with a lengthy email repeatedly expressing indignation at my being 'insulting' towards their hotel. What can I say? They are a family hotel - if they weren't, this email would have deservedly gotten any normal hotel employee fired. At this point I wasn't surprised - they had our money, why should they listen to my complaint? Their main grievance with me seemed to be that I didn't complain enough at the time. . . because I didn't appear unsatisfied enough at the time they thought they could get away with giving me this shabby treatment without repercussions.

Anyway, 8 weeks and some 10 or so emails later, we finally got back the money for the lost garment.

Medusa has left a seriously bad taste in my mouth. I don't like feeling as if I'm being taken advantage of when I'm on my honeymoon. Their treatment of us - especially from check out on - was inexcusably unprofessional. It's not the place to go if you want a special memory.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in the middle of September. It was the first stop on our three week adventure and was a great way to begin. The service was impeccable. A family run business, this resort really offers it's guests a homey feel. The room, a double deluxe, was nice and clean with a fabulous, large balcony with great views of the Naxos sunset. The bathroom was extremely small and the shower had no curtain which made for a wet floor after every shower - really a very small inconvenience. The only other negative was the fact that the in-room safe was broken while we were there, we were traveling with my sister and brother-in-law so were able to keep our valuables in their safe - otherwise this would have been more of an issue. The food at the resort was very tasty and reasonably priced - we ate dinner there every night but one. The breakfast that was included was plentiful and eggs cooked to order. Eddie served us at every meal and we can't say enough about his friendly manner and his terrific service. Mariangela helped us with car rental, suggesting beaches and areas around the island to visit so we maximized our time there.
The resort is fairly isolated but that is why we chose it. For those looking for more activity you may want to consider staying in Naxos Town. The resort is on a beach...you will want water shoes since the entrance is quite rocky. We found better beaches a short drive along the coast. The salt-water pool was terrific and we spent our last day enjoying that area and it's gardens.
Overall, it was a really wonderful stay and if we find ourselves going back to Naxos we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

My husband and I spent a relaxing 5 days/4 nights at the Medusa Resort in mid-September, and have nothing but praise for the lovely service provided by Mariangela, her brother, and all the staff, especially Eddie, who worked seemingy around the clock to serve at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The degree of service from this family of hoteliers was extremely high, friendly and authentic (when we proffered a small tip to Solomon for carrying our bags to our 2nd story room he seemed both surprised and slightly offended).
Our room, a standard double, was pleasant, it's best feature a small balcony which faced the garden and beyond, the sea. We were able to see a deluxe suite when Mariangela arranged a spot for us to shower and change (after we'd checked out) for our late flight- and we actually thought our standard room had a much better siting and view).
The garden area is delightful, with meals served outdoors at scattered tables, or under the pergola for breakfast. Meals were quite good, and reasonably priced, as were drinks at the handy beach bar located adjacent to the saltwater pool and beach.
My only issue with the Medusa is that the beach is extremely narrow, and the entrance to the water marred by rocks. We are beach people, and ended up renting a car to explore other beaches on the island, of which there are many.Mariangela arranged for a car rental (couldn't have been handier, as they brought the car to the hotel and picked it up there as well). I strongly advise to anyone that they rent a car if they stay here- the drive around the island is very interesting (we especially liked the village of Chalki, where I bought some lovely weaving from Penelope's shop), and provides a good contrast to the Plaka area. Another caution: the Medusa is about 5 miles outside of Chora (the main town), which I knew from my research, but that translates to a 30 minute drive given the nature of the roads (which I did not know ahead of time!). We did take the bus into Chora on our first day, and would caution potential guests that it really is a 15+ minute along the beach (walking on sand harder than on a road, btw) to get to the bus stop, where one buys tickets at the adjacent hotel, not on the bus. We decided we did not want to do this at night in the dark- another reason we rented a car.
I would give the Medusa very high marks, but probably won't return to the island of Naxos, given how many other islands there are to explore in Greece and beyond. However, the Medusa would be my choice on Naxos, were I to return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Medusa Resort? Share your experiences!