“A journey back in time. But the management could definitely be better.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar

and 1 more site!
You added Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar to your Saves list
Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar
Bagac, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Bagac B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manila, Philippines
“A journey back in time. But the management could definitely be better.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I went with a BIG group. So my experience may be different than a couple's. The focus is architecture and trying to create an old spanish era Philippine town, brick by brick, On that score, they succeed with flying colors,
The food we had wasn't bad. The rooms were old houses, with all antique genuine stuff, Its living in classic art, but air-conditioned.
But the management made me cringe inside with their decisions on how to fix the back of their kitchen that sticks out into this beautiful work of architecture, buated fridges lying on the lawn, and things like that. The owners need to make top dollar to maintain a place like this, and they arent going to get it with their management (Feb 2013). I know that the group organizer also had a lot of problems with charges. Maybe this would not happen with just a couple, or a small group. So just be aware and chalk mistakes up to ineficiency. Expect to find errors in your bill, and don't be upset if you do find mistakes. Getting upset can ruin a great experience.
One more thing, For the beauty that it is, it probably wont last. The entire complex is built on a river delta. Any geodetic engineer will tell you thats a dumb idea because rivers shift on a delta, So the river will probably shift over time, and probably wipe out any buildings in the way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Leading up to Independence Day, we thought about doing a historical summer break in a historical place so it becomes meaningful for our kids. The moment we drove inside, I immediately had a flash of my own childhood vacations in my grandmother's hometown in Ubay, Bohol. The houses were neatly laid out in the location and one immediately feels thrown back in time especially when you start meeting the staff in traditional Filipino costumes and greeting you, "Magandang Hapon, po!"

We were ushered to the reception area where we were immediately attended to by the front desk personnel who explained all the details we needed to know during our stay. We were given a refreshing glass of Sago't Gulaman, a traditional Filipino drink. My kids loved it so much we asked for another glass which they willingly offered.

We booked first for an overnight stay in the Executive Suite - a 3-level unit that has a TV/Living Room downstairs, the Master Bed in the 2nd level and 2 more Queen-sized beds in the loft but reserved for an extra night in another unit in case we decided to stay one more night. We had 8 kids with us, my husband and I and 2 helpers.

This Executive Suite was just right for us in terms of size, although since the TV was downstairs, it was a bit of an extra effort to go down in case the children wanted to catch some kids' shows on TV. Furthermore, the living room set was quite uncomfortable since it was all wooden and no throw pillows or what were there. On our second night, we got 2 rooms at the ground level of the San Miguel - the first house you see on the left as you enter the compound. We enjoyed staying in the 2nd night's accomodatione because it was more flat and had more space and easy access to the TV.

The good points:
We genuinely enjoyed the venue - culturally it was very inspiring. We liked our tour - many historical insights about our past as a nation and as a people. The staff were generally nice and warm. We also enjoyed the cultural show - the dancers encouraged everyone to take part in dancing the Tinikling!

The pizza at the pizzeria was VERY GOOD! Service at that Italian resto was also quick and good. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the Filipino/Spanish restaurant.

The need-to-improve points:
Rooms:
The bathroom essentials were a bit sparse - I wish they had at least one foot mat so we don't end up wetting the sink part.

In the Filipino/Spanish restaurant, we accidentally left my toddler's newly-bought train toy and a box of chocolates. The staff informed us that they kept both and turned it over to the next persons in charge. When we returned the next day, I asked about it but was told that they didn't have the train toy - just the box of chocolates. They said they will try to look for it but when I followed up - they said they weren't able to find it.. Just disappointing.

Also, I wish they had more choices for food - since the place was quite a distance from the city, there weren't much options except the 2 restaurants available. And they were both expensive!

Overall however, I would still recommend a visit to the place. Add a trip to the Bataan Monument after that for a truly historical trip most especially for children!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Las Casas has a great concept of preserving and showcasing old Filipino houses while also providing modern amenities. My family and I (6 adults altogether) stayed at the executive suite which was tri-level since the bedroom had a loft. The suite had a living room & dining set downstairs, 3 queen beds which were comfy and 2 full bathrooms which were clean & adequate. The staff was very pleasant, as well.

Their restaurant serves good Filipino meals, somewhat pricey but it's what you'd expect at a resort. They also have a pizza place with a nice, rustic ambiance. Their pool is a good size, "batis" style pool. My parents  tried out the beach early in the morning & they said not to bother with it. We only stayed 2 days/1 night but it was enough time to check out the whole place. We took the tour of the houses on day 1, watched the cultural show in the evening then waded in the pool on day 2.  We then checked out  Kilometer Zero of the Death March and Mt Samat on our way home.

• Stayed January 2013
manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our entire family had a GRAND time in this awesome tourist destination, starting from my 66-y/o mother and up to my 8-y/o daughter who both have diverse interests of a leisure trip. Nevertheless, all of us truly enjoyed our 2D/1n stay here.
We were welcomed with a thirst-quenching native drink (Sago't Gulaman) when we arrived at the Reception area around 9am, escorted to the suite that we are to occupy, afterwhich we participated in the Heritage Tour of this resort, where we get to see upclose & personal, the various Casas (Spanish term for 'houses') made more interesting because of their historical/cultural values. We had great lunch @ Cafe Marivent where the 'gabi' (a local rootcrop) ice cream had been remarkably delicious, love it! We went swimming afterwards (both in the beach & the pool) til sunset, even played pool in the Salon de Juego (Game Room) in between our swimming activity. We had late dinner in their Italian rest located @ Casa Binan (Bella Teodora), of which we rode the shuttle going there since it 's far from our accommodation. They served freshly-baked breads which are oh-so-yummy,& the foods that we ate were extremely satisfactory, except for the Pesto, which my sister & brother-in-law didn't find satisfying enough. We stayed outdoors for awhile after dinner, in the plaza & gazebo, also in the Reception area where we played 'Sungka', much to my nieces' delight. We retired late at night & woke up early in the morning to witness the sunrise in the Luzon sea which was awesome! We swam for the final time, had breakfast in the resto (Cafe Marivent), fixed our stuff, toured some more, rode the calesa, & had the endless picture-taking in this wonderful place. This had been a fruitful & worthy leisure trip that's really memorable, & I highly recommend this tourist spot for everyone, local & foreign alike!

Room Tip: For a group/family with more than 6 persons (& with kids younger than 10 years of age),choose a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Baguio, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for an Overnight stay, since our arrival it felt that we were in time of Spanish era. We suddenly did like to wear our Filipino costumes and felt patriotic. Laughing it out saying we might suddenly meet our Filipino national hero. Somewhere I felt I was a character in one of our favorite Filipino novels El Felibusterismo and Noli me Tangere. Taken aback with the settings , mountains on your back, and fronting is the West Philippine sea. Food a little bit pricey but of course there was no other choice. As to our room, stayed at one of the rooms at Paseo de Escolta with loft, big room not your usual box type hotels. Experience was different, have to get back to my Philippine history class. Stepping back in time was a real treat for all of us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
makati city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

initially i have qualms of staying in old houses which you can find in Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar, But once you are in the place, the serenity of the place brings you the nostalgia of how it is to live in an ancient spanish era. Bataan is a very historical place because this is where the death march occurred and where lots of Filipino and American soldiers died. Opening this heritage resort to the public which started as a hobby to the owner, only emphasized the rich history Bataan can offer. It is a unique experience. More additions are forthcoming with the future church fronting the beach side which would be ideal for marriage ceremonies. I see a very promising future for this Resort especially since they are building an alternate road which is nearer the highway.

Room Tip: there are rooms fronting the plaza but there are also rooms fronting the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Valenzuela, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I bought several vouchers for a day tour in this place.
There are no better way to learn how does the people in the Spanish regime lived. The tour guides are practically prepared with the history of each 20++ houses included in the tour.

I am eager to share the same experience with my friends, who I know would appreciate the efforts put on in the resort. It was my 3rd time to be in Las Casas and we got an overnight stay deal!

The tranquility in Las Casas Filipinas will reset your thoughts from the stressful life in the city. Birds chirping in the morning will be your alarm clock. You can jog by the beach for exercise or swim in the batis inspired swimming pool. The executive suite (room 210) is spacious considering there will be 6 of us staying there.

Lots of photo ops, game time, bonding activities, and relaxation in Las Casas. Our pictures came out great, no photoshop editing needed. In the evening, its like walking in a Hispanic or Italian building façade by the Paseo de Escolta.

Anyone will surely appreciate the time and tedious effort done to re-assemble each house and restore the intricate designs and furnishings inside each Casa.

The cafes inside the resort comes with a hefty price tag but considering the taste and serving, one wouldn't mind spending extra.

Overall, very penny spent in Las Casas de Filipinas de Acuzar is WORTH IT!!! I can't wait for my next visit!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar? Share your experiences!