“"Somewhere in Time"” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Bagac B&B and Inns
Baguio, Philippines
“"Somewhere in Time"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for an Overnight stay, since our arrival it felt that we were in time of Spanish era. We suddenly did like to wear our Filipino costumes and felt patriotic. Laughing it out saying we might suddenly meet our Filipino national hero. Somewhere I felt I was a character in one of our favorite Filipino novels El Felibusterismo and Noli me Tangere. Taken aback with the settings , mountains on your back, and fronting is the West Philippine sea. Food a little bit pricey but of course there was no other choice. As to our room, stayed at one of the rooms at Paseo de Escolta with loft, big room not your usual box type hotels. Experience was different, have to get back to my Philippine history class. Stepping back in time was a real treat for all of us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
makati city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

initially i have qualms of staying in old houses which you can find in Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar, But once you are in the place, the serenity of the place brings you the nostalgia of how it is to live in an ancient spanish era. Bataan is a very historical place because this is where the death march occurred and where lots of Filipino and American soldiers died. Opening this heritage resort to the public which started as a hobby to the owner, only emphasized the rich history Bataan can offer. It is a unique experience. More additions are forthcoming with the future church fronting the beach side which would be ideal for marriage ceremonies. I see a very promising future for this Resort especially since they are building an alternate road which is nearer the highway.

Room Tip: there are rooms fronting the plaza but there are also rooms fronting the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Valenzuela, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I bought several vouchers for a day tour in this place.
There are no better way to learn how does the people in the Spanish regime lived. The tour guides are practically prepared with the history of each 20++ houses included in the tour.

I am eager to share the same experience with my friends, who I know would appreciate the efforts put on in the resort. It was my 3rd time to be in Las Casas and we got an overnight stay deal!

The tranquility in Las Casas Filipinas will reset your thoughts from the stressful life in the city. Birds chirping in the morning will be your alarm clock. You can jog by the beach for exercise or swim in the batis inspired swimming pool. The executive suite (room 210) is spacious considering there will be 6 of us staying there.

Lots of photo ops, game time, bonding activities, and relaxation in Las Casas. Our pictures came out great, no photoshop editing needed. In the evening, its like walking in a Hispanic or Italian building façade by the Paseo de Escolta.

Anyone will surely appreciate the time and tedious effort done to re-assemble each house and restore the intricate designs and furnishings inside each Casa.

The cafes inside the resort comes with a hefty price tag but considering the taste and serving, one wouldn't mind spending extra.

Overall, very penny spent in Las Casas de Filipinas de Acuzar is WORTH IT!!! I can't wait for my next visit!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Baguio City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

stayed on the resort on June 17 to 18, 2013 and we were really pleasantly surprised! the drive to bagac, bataan (we were travelling at night) was a little 'adventurous', thanks to google map we were able to locate the hotel easily though. but once we arrived.... WOW.... we were really surprised! It was like stepping back in time... literaly! The place reeks of nostalgia... 1800's to be exact. though the resort is quite new, i wish in the future they can complete the nostalgic feel by hiring people dressed in 1800's costume (though the resort staff were in costume, but they were few) promenading on the different plazas and street. We were given suite 210 along Paseo de Escolta and true to its theme, it was an antique inspired suite (using antique materials) which was comfortable and elegant in an 1800's manner. The different casas however is a wonder in itself... to see how they restored everything and infusing modern amenities specially Casa Bizantina. This place is a must see in the Philippines. Oh and yes... their staff are all pleasant, hospitable and always smiliing.

Room Tip: book the casa bizantina if your budget allows it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Juan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed overnight in Las Casas last May.
The place is what it is expected. The preservation of our heritage is showcased perfectly in this community.
We found it nostalgic to see the old houses and cant help but imagine of what history they had.
The houses had few basic amenities or furniture in them. The bathrooms were small and cramped in the shower area. My elbows hit the sides every time i try to turn, I guess they just had to improvise on the space that were available. On a good note, they had air conditioning in the rooms. They would also need to improve on their food. Overall, it was an okay stay but its not something I would do again. A day trip would be fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

It was my first time to go to this place last June 3, 2013. I thought that a day tour was not enough to really savor the place, so I went for an overnight stay. Little did I know that even an overnight stay was not enough.

I have been to so many countries and so many parts of the Philippines but this is one of a kind, one of the most unique resorts I have been. The concept is so impressive, and makes me think that the creator of this place was a genius.

There are no words to describe my awe when I saw this place. It makes you want to live in it. I have always wanted to live the life of my ancestors (except for the war times!) and here, I had a day of realization of that dream. It is a perfect place for nostalgia, for going back to memory lane, and for some real peace and quiet yet with the pleasures and amenities of the modern world.

I wish that the owner will be able to preserve this place, expand it, and never let tourists abuse it. I don't mind paying a little bit more next time, for as long as the place will be able to maintain it, and save it from the misbehaving tourists and ignorant visitors who have no appreciation of the real meaning and value of the Philippine heritage.

I only have one complain - the photographer and some other activities have a "day-off". I mean, who does that on a resort? There is such a thing as a reliever. A resort is visited everyday, there should be no closing days for photo shop, serenade, folk dancing and other activities. It is just totally wrong to have 2 days without such activities. Please change that wrong practice.

Otherwise, I will still keep going back whenever I have a chance, and will bring as many people as I can.

Room Tip: Don't go on days when the serenade, folk dance, and photographer is on day-off. I think that is...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Luzon, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We got a discounted day trip package from one of those coupon sites. Getting there is pretty easy from Metro Manila if you have your own vehicle, the quickest being taking the NLEX and the SCTEX towards Subic. Upon exiting SCTEX, head towards Balanga and then towards Bagac. The roads are pretty straightforward until Bagac. Upon reaching Bagac, the road winds and there are plenty of forks so better download the map from their site. The landmarks you'll pass by heading to Las Casas Filipinas are the Mt. Samat shrine and the road leading to Montemar Beach Club. Check their easy-to-follow map for directions as you drive.

The resort property itself is hidden in a subdivision with smallish signs, so keep your eyes peeled. Upon reaching their non-descript gate, your only clue is the security guard wearing a Philippine Revolution-era soldier's uniform. Present your voucher/coupon and you'll drive past some uninspiring worker quarters and warehouse structures to your right and rice fields to your left.

By this point, you might have doubts about this place but upon reaching their parking area, you'll see the beautiful colonial-era houses amidst Spanish-era architectural layout. The reconstructed houses (from different places in the Philippines) also serve as hotels and each has an interesting story to tell, as shared by the energetic guides. Most of the houses range from the mid-1800s to the early 1900s.

You check in at the Casa Mexico (since the house originated from Mexico, Pampanga), which is refreshingly airconditioned. This is also the meeting place for the complimentary tour.

The complimentary tour itself is worth joining as you'll catch some juicy tidbits about the history of the house and families that once lived in it.

Among the interesting attractions are the replica of Plaza Escolta, the rescued building which used to house the UP College of Fine Arts (which became a live sex show and abortion clinic, according to the tour) and many others. From the Arrastia House, you can see their are other houses being constructed - from a Maranao house to a Spanish-era style church. There are also museum and exhibits housed in other houses. You can even have your picture taken with period costumes to complete the experience.

Our meals weren't included in our package but we were offered a choice between Filipino set meals in one of their restaurants or an ala carte Italian offering in another. If you choose Italian, you can have a free ride in a horse-drawn carriage since the restaurant is set in the far end of the property. We chose the set meals as we were offered a choice of grilled pork belly or blue marlin with vegetables and rice, served with bulalo soup and ice cream dessert. A little expensive for P410 but not a robbery.

You can also rent bikes (P150/hr) and cruise around the property. Warning though for young bikers, the resort has cobblestone surfaces so inexperienced bikers can have difficulty keeping their balance. The modern pool, though open only to checked-in guests, looks nice and clean.

The only downside for Las Casas is the lack of proper and clean beach facilities. While, the beach itself and the waters are clean and clear, I cannot say the same for the shower stalls. Most are in a state of disrepair and some are even used as storage for construction junk. There's also a lack of lounge chairs and cabanas, with only a big tent and stands providing shelter and seating at the hot, gray sand beach. I do hope the management of the resort improves this.

Controversies about transporting heritage houses aside, the resort gives you a unique glimpse how the Philippines looked way back during Spanish colonial times. It's worth a daytrip or even an overnight stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar? Share your experiences!