“A weekend in Spain mainly to eat here” 5 of 5 stars

Calle de los Adarves, 29649 Sitio de Calahonda, Mijas, Spain
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“A weekend in Spain mainly to eat here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My son's school very kindly made the Friday before the May Bank Holiday a teacher training day so with four days off in a row we grabbed a flight to Spain for a long weeend and ate at La Mandragora twice out of our three nights there and the food was as good as on my previous trip just three months earlier.

I had the Spanish black pork with chilli and honey both times and it was delicious as none of the flavours overpowered the others and you could taste all three individually. For dessert I temporarily forgot that I'm diabetic and had the chocolate souffle which was as delicious as it was last time.

I'm looking forward to going back again next time I'm in Calahonda but unfortunately it won't be until next year

• Visited May 2013

• Slovak first
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I were so impressed with La Mandragora! Definitely try their specials...they did an outstanding job, from the friendly attentive staff to the innovative and hearty meals! My husband had a chicken dish that was the moistest flavorful chicken that I have ever had! Wonderful! I had the special Beef Stroganoff and couldn't finish it there was such a hearty helping and believe me I cried when I let my husband finish it for me as it was sooo good...I especially enjoyed that it had beets in it, which I normally do not care for but this was Amazing! We left so full and with huge smiles on our faces...just sad we didn't try until our last night in the area or we definitely would have gone again!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“First night food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

There were nine of us and from the minute we arrived until we left we were looked after superbly.
The food was amazing and varied ranging from goulash to fish and all reasonably priced, I ate here some years ago and was pleased to find the standard has not dropped.
Thank you for a superb evening, got our holiday off to fine start.

Visited May 2013
Bodle Street Green, United Kingdom
“A different dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely evening at La Mandragora. Owner and chef are Slovakian and the front of house team are lovely - Juan and Adrianna looked after us very well. It is the best we've experienced in Calahonda. It's not a fine dining experience but good quality and tasty ingredients well put together to create a delicious meal. We were offered an amuse bouche of poached quailes egg on brucetta and avocado & orange on bruchetta with strawberry. Our starters were Caesers mushrooms and green asparagus with almonds. Our main courses were Dorada with chilli and garlic and goulash - all tasty and ample portions. We could not understand the negative review on portions as we were left unable to order pudding or coffee. Ambience and lighting were effective and we will return! You can either sit in the courtyard or overlook the sea on the terrace. Thank you.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wexford
“Nice for something different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We wanted to go somewhere nice for our last night on holidays and found this restaurant recommended on the internet. The restaurant has a quirky decor and we were made feel welcome by the staff on arrival, which is always great.
The menu was different to all the other places we had eaten in during the week which was great and we all chose different dishes. The starters were very big, almost too big but tasty. I enjoyed the foie gras that my partner had & also my beetroot salad. I tasted the parma ham croquettes, which were a little strange, and not what we expected. Again a huge portion.

For main course there were suckling pig, black pig, sea bream & sea bass. The suckling pig was delicious! I had to swap my fish with a friend as I have an egg allergy and there was a mayonnaise sauce on my fish. We had told them about this and it was corrected for my starter but not the main. The meal was accompanied by a lovely red wine that was a special on the night and enjoyed by us all. We shared two desserts & I had an espresso which was lovely.

We really enjoyed our night and the staff were very friendly, especially the Brazilian waitress, who was very knowledgeable about the menu & wines. We will return!

• Visited April 2013