“Fantastic spa resort in northern Thailand” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai

You added Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   68 Moo 6, Mae Rim-Samoeng Old Road, Mae Rim 50180, Thailand   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Third Night!
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Mae Rim
Birmingham, Michigan
“Fantastic spa resort in northern Thailand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is a wonderful resort with fantastic grounds--they have a functioning rice paddy and the harvested rice is donated to the people of the hill tribes. The food is fabulous. You must try the room service--have a lovely dinner by candlelight in your own "sala." The landscaping is beautiful and fresh flowers play an important part in the decor. Near a number of local attractions.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on the second level so that your sala has a good view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeff M, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear swrtzmk,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your trip to Thailand! I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope that you were able to make as much time as possible for the Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Jeff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Nice drama as you arrive, with an open air lobby looking out over the hills. Charming winding roads with villas scattered about. Rice paddies in the vista. The service you expect from Four Seasons, with just a few missteps (unusual for 4S). A little long in the tooth here and there, but overall a memorable and very pleasant resort.

Pros:
1.We had an enormous room. It was a 3BR residence with a plunge pool. It had one of the larget LR-DR i have ever seen --- not just in a hotel, but anywhere. 3br, 3.5ba, plus live in maid's quarters and a large full kitchen (for the maid). The live in maid thing is very nice (her room seems to be a few city blocks away from the MBR, so no privacy issues). Especially with three kids, it was so nice to sit down to breakfast in your own dining room in your PJs. Poolside, she would just arrive with a fruit plate and water, etc.
2.One morning, we all signed up to learn how to plant rice, and actually planted some in one of the paddies.
3. The kids liked petting the resident water buffalo.
4. The concierge was very helpful arranging tours and drivers for us.
5. The food was quite good, and included lots of Western choices
6. Lovely spa, unusual and romantic spaces.

Cons:
1. Driver was 30 minutes late to pick us up at the airport, and was wearing jeans and a Tshirt. That sounds so spoiled, but it is not to 4S usual standards.
2. The room decor was very dated. It was a little over the top, with lots of rosewood (I think) and jewel tones, and huge scale to everything. It reminded me of the palaces of deposed Arab rulers. That said, it was ridiculously large.
3. I found the location odd. I tend to assume that if the 4S puts a resort someplace, then that place is worth going to. I thought Chiang Mai would be a charming hill town. It is a large busy modern town with highways and traffic. This may be our fault --- maybe we didn't check out enough attractions in the area. But I wasn't sure what was so great about Chiang Mai, and moreover this resort is about 30 minutes from Chiang Mai itself.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jeff M, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear 6 ContinentsNCou...,

I wanted to thank you and your family so much for staying with us on your recent trip to Chaing Mai. I am happy to see that overall you did enjoy the time you spent with us. I also wanted to thank you for the feedback that you have given on other areas of the resort and we will use this to improve our product. If your travels do bring you back to Thailand in the future I hope that we can welcome you back here again!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I have visited this resort hotel six times before, and recommended it to many friends as paradise on earth. We have returned after six years and still find it lovely, but we did not find it quite as unique or outstanding as it was. The setting in paddy fields is exquisite, and the service towards the top end of what Thailand can offer, which is a damned high standard to start with.

But over the past sixteen years since we first visited the world has moved on, and I suppose to some extent so have we. The pavilions that accommodate guests are now a little jaded, and the bathrooms that seemed palatial a little small. It's like revisiting your primary school and feeling everything is smaller than you remembered it to be. There is now a customer experience manager but the customer experience ironically is not quite as perfect as it used to be. Despite being regular Four Seasons visitors and repeat guests at this resort, the manager did not introduce herself to us and was nowhere to be seen, which is perhaps symptomatic of the problem.

All in all, this hotel is still a lovely place to visit, but has slipped off its pedestal in our view as one of the best resort hotels in the world.

Room Tip: We love 801 as it has a beautiful view and is convenient to the pool. All the pavilions are identica...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff M, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Brad_Lizzie,

I wanted to first off thank you for your years of loyalty to the Four Seasons as a brand and also to Chaing Mai. It was a pleasure meeting you on your recent trip here. I appreciate all of your feedback on your stay as I want to insure this resort remains one of the best in Thailand. I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip in Phuket and that we get to have you here again soon.

Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were moved from house to house, with the amenities of the next exceeding the previous. Beautiful grounds. Delicious meals. One of the best hotel experiences in the world. We were treated like royalty.Spa is not to be missed. Overall an excellent experience.

Room Tip: The private houses were the best locations.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Jeff M, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear cooncat123,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent trip to Chiang Mai. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed the resort. The Spa is one of my favorite as well! I do hope we get to have you back with us very soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at four Season hotel chiang mai for 3 nights with our 4 kids,we stayed at 3 Bedroom Villa with our live- in butler and her name is Tammy the best butler you can ask for,she cooked us breakfast every morning and took good care of us of everything we need.The hotel setting and location is absolutely beautiful! the food was excellent and the hotel staffs were very polite and pleasant,this place is truly magical!we visited elephant camp and we got to ride as well and it was a fun experience for all of us especially for our kids,we visited hill tribes,went zip lining too it was a lot of fun!!we also love the spa,the best Thai massage ever!i can't wait to go back and stay in same villa with my butler tammy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear daisylarry,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent trip to Chiang Mai! I am very happy to see that you enjoyed so many aspects of the resort as well as some outside activities. I am also very glad to see that Tammy took such good care of you during your stay. I will pass along your note to her. Hope to see you back with us soon.

atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were on a two week trip around Asia and the Four Seasons was our most favorite hotel. It is located about 25 minutes outside of the city which was such a blessing. Chiang Mai was large and dirty destination, I was very disappointed as we drove through the city leaving the airport. My attitude was quickly changed as we pulled into the oasis of the Four Seasons. The hotel is in beautiful spot overlooking the mountains with amazing architecture and greenery. Every possible vista was picture perfect from our table having cocktails watching the sunset to our spot at the pool to our private lania eating breakfast. Just unbelievable. The service was good but perhaps not always perfect. They could use more staff around the pool as it was difficult to get someone to take your order. Had a massage at the Spa and it may have been the best one I have ever had! We only left the hotel once for the night market and I quickly regretted our decision to leave. The hotel is the destination not the town!! I am not sure we will ever travel to a more beautiful hotel and I only wish we had more time to spend there.

Room Tip: If you book with American Express you can get a room category upgrade. We did get a room with a pri...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear atlantalef,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent visit to Thailand! I am glad to see that you enjoyed the resort very much during your stay. I will share your kind words with the staff. I would also like to thank you for the feedback on the staffing around the pool area. This is something that I will review with the team at the Pool. Wishing you a Happy 2013!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Spectacular property, great service, beautiful room.... really one of the best places I have ever been. Stayed with 2 kids in an upper rice villa, had to do some refurbushing to fit two extra beds but it was just fine.

Room Tip: Upper Rice Villa for sure
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dirk K,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent trip to Thailand. I hope that you and your family will return soon. I would also like to thank you for your feedback of our resort and will share your note with the staff.

Jeff

Been to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!