“Breathtaking Landscape! This is What Souls Feed On!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai

You added Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   68 Moo 6, Mae Rim-Samoeng Old Road, Mae Rim 50180, Thailand   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Third Night!
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Mae Rim
London, United Kingdom
“Breathtaking Landscape! This is What Souls Feed On!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

In my Two Months Stay in Chiang Mai, I must say I enjoyed every single moment I spent at the Four Seasons, the courteousness and professionalism characteristic of the brand, the exquisite culinary delights, the Soul Regenerating Surroundings, the sounds of the cicadas, frogs, crickets, birds …

One of the things I enjoyed the most was at around 15:30 I will go to read one of my books in the wooden bench in the Old Rice Barn situated a few meters away from the Albino Buffalo hang out place, right on the Lake under a huge tree, with the Nature Sounds all around me, Truly a Magical Place to read.

Another highlight I also enjoyed was occasionally witnessing the Fish Feeding Activity done at the same rice barn, whenever they had small children staying at the resort.

For those Techies forget your Headphones and enjoy Nature at is Best!

During my Stay in Thailand I took various Cooking Classes at the Resort, and I will like to make Special Mention of Mr. JJ, he went the Extra Mile in Accommodating my Special Requests of Private Classes during the Afternoons, typically in the mornings there is more than one guest interested in taking the opportunity to learn Authentic Thai Cuisine. Great Cooking School! If you Love Superb Food, Love Eating and Love Cooking, Don’t Miss taking a Class or Two at the Four Seasons Cooking School.

FYI ( If you don’t like Thai Spicy, Just Say it ) I do not like spicy but can tolerate mild spicy, Thai food does not necessarily need to be Spicy to be Great Food, You may say why taking Thai Cooking Classes if you don’t like Spicy? Wrong! Some of these dishes minus the Spicy are absolutely Amazing for those of us who do not like the spicy food, that’s the beauty of it.

One Culinary Recommendation: At the Sala Mae Rim Restaurant which by the way has an Spectacular View of the Rice Paddies, is the “ Khao Soi Gai” which is The Famous Chiang Mai Curry Noodles with Chicken, this Magnificent Dish done with Coconut Milk / Curry, Boiled and Crispy Rice Noodles is A Must! One of the Signature Dishes at the Resort. Simply Superb!

Special Thanks to Chef Tao & Meaow, Kun Tu, Tor, the Pool Guys Kot, Tee, Tat, Chantry and at last but not least my Driver, Mr. Chai( who unfortunately is not with the company anymore ) all of them made my stay a memorable one.

Concierge Services need to be trained properly! Courteous, Polite but inefficient.

Apart from that, I truly felt at Home and Enjoyed Every Single Moment, A memory for Eternity!

I have attached some pictures I hope you enjoy them.

Room Tip: Choose the Rice Pavilion Rooms, those have the best view of the Rice Paddies and the Lake
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Dear GunterO,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your thoughts on your recent experiences with us here in Chiang Mai. The team at the cooking school very much enjoyed having the opportunity to teach you the fundamentals of Thai cookery over the period of a few weeks and I will be sure to share your kind words with them all. Thank you also for sharing your tip on a must eat dish at Sala Maerim, the Khao Soi Gai, it is certainly one of our specialties! I also note your comment regarding Concierge and will be sure to review with my team.

I was delighted to read that you also took the time to relax and enjoy the beautiful landscaping of the property, a feature of the property that we are all so very proud of. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Resort in the not too distant future.

Very best regards,

Titiya Chooto
e-mail: titiya.chooto@fourseasons.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

This was a beautiful hotel set in a traditional rice paddy farm. The grounds were amazing, as was our room. We enjoyed just walking, or biking around the resort, and visiting the water buffalo. We spent lots of time at the pool, and had it mostly all to ourselves, which was very relaxing. The spa was also nice.

We had the resort concierge coordinate an elephant excursion which was beyond our expectations.

There was a hotel shuttle into Chiang Mai, and since you are so far out of town, this was a very much appreciated feature. Takes about 45 minutes to get into the actual city, so taking a taxi can get expensive.

The food was great, and of course everything came with the Four Seasons signature service! Would visit this resort again if we are ever back.

Room Tip: We loved the standard villa.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Charles F, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear KirklandLisa,

Thank you very much to taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us here at the Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed not only the resort, but also the surrounding areas including time with the elephants.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Very best regards,
Charles Fisher
Resort Manager
E-mail: charles.fisher@fourseasons.com
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We are returning guests to the Four Seasons Chiang Mai, having stayed there in 2009, 2010 and again in December 2011.
This is a very special piece of paradise and it ticks all the boxes. The service is attentive and impeccable, the facilities are first class and the ambiance is serene.
We stay in the Pool Villa which is an expensive indulgence, but you're paying for a unique experience. These Villa's are very private, spacious and comfortable.
This hotel is not for everyone. It's a 30 minute drive to the heart of the city, the shuttle bus is fairly frequent, but if you miss the return, you're stranded for a coupe of hours. There are no shops or restaurants near the Hotel. A couple of trendy coffee shops, but that's all. Each time we've been in December, the Hotel has been quiet, but occasionally there are bus loads of visitors descending on the Hotel, usually during breakfast, with camera's and associated noise and disruption, which can be very irritating at that time of the morning.
On the whole, if you're looking for a remote and intimate vacation, this Hotel is worth the effort to get there, if you're seeking activity and excitement you may be disappointed.
I'm sure we'll be back again in December 2012.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there is a bad room at this hotel. You only need to open the curtains and soak...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Atherton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

My husband and I just stayed for three days at this incredible paradise. We were greeted with cool towels and drinks upon our arrival. The staff knew our name within a day. We absolutely loved the beautifully prepared food and the pristine setting. The gardens and villas are flawlessly designed and well integrated with the environment. At the end of the day, one hears a gong and those who tend the paddies parade off single file - a site which is like a living work of art; the lush green of the rice plants, contrasting with the dark blue of the uniforms. As darkness falls, the rice paddy is lit with small lights and the large trees with soft white lanterns. The effect is magical. We flew our daughter over from Singapore where she currently studies and Charles Fisher(resort manager) made every accommodation for her. We lounged by the pool in daybeds much of the time as we had come off a three country tour. When we left our books as we swam, we came back and the staff had put bookmarks in each. As the sun went down, they brought a small book light so we could continue to read in the dark. I have never had service like this in my life and I feel spoiled for anything else. Truly a tropical paradise with unparalled attention to detail and service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

First, this is a true five star property. So it's expensive. I think it may be the most we've paid for a room. Rates don't include the 10% service charge and 5% VAT added to everything. Grounds are incredible. It sits on a rice field that is viewed from most rooms. We bought a pre paid taxi voucher at domestic terminal at airport to hotel for $15, vs hotel pick up for $80. Our package included breakfast which was nice but not overwhelmingly so. We had a massage included with our package, but were asked to pay $25 extra each, if we wanted to upgrade to massage with oil, and a full hour massage (rather than 50 minutes). The massage experience was great. From checkin at Spa on, it was first class. We only ate at the Italian restaurant. (there is also a Thai) restaurant. It was good. Alcohol, particularly, wine, is very expensive, they state Thailand has 500% import duties on wine. They charge $8 an hour for in room Wifi or $25 per 24 hours. This was only hotel during our three weeks in Southeast Asia that didn't have complimentary wifi in room. There is access to computers in library for email and Internet at no charge, but I download newspapers to iPad and couldn't do that without buying wifi. A tip, get a golf cart tour of resort when you arrive. It's large and it took us a couple days to find spa, exercise area, library, shops etc. We came in late at night and didn't get a tour. Rooms were very nice. We only saw ours, other reviews say rooms the same? Upstairs rooms have better view of rice paddies. Overall, this place was amazing. It is 1/2hr shuttle ride to Chiangmai, which is complimentary four or five times a day. Be sure to check where they drop you, so you know how to meet shuttle for return. Can do taxis, but rates vary. There is a Sunday night market where the downtown is closed off. Try & time your stay for that if you can. Pools, spa, exercise area all nice, but most amazing to me were the grounds and landscaping, and attention to detail. We met a young woman who has stayed at 50 Fours Seasons Hotels (she works for them), and said this is her favorite. Staff was incredible and everyone super friendly, and helpful. Only downside is location 1/2 hr from town. If you enjoy being at a romantic resort, this is the place. We would not hesitate to return here!

Room Tip: Views of rice fields
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This resort is so nice that you can’t find out exact words to express your admiration – it’s better to silently enjoy the fascinating scenery thinking that you’re in haven and it’s happening with someone else, not you. Unbelievable beauty.
Natural environment, constructive decisions, visual perspectives, rice paddies’ landscapes, and blossoming gardens – all these create unforgettable atmosphere of luxury Thai village.
I stayed in a pool villa that almost made me crazy with its chic, convenience and extremely interesting design: floor-to-ceiling glass sidewalls with lovely lotus ponds and small waterfalls behind them, direct access to huge wooden veranda with two sun lounges, gazebo, big pool and separate Jacuzzi. The room itself was equipped with all the 5-star amenities including plasma TV, Dolby-surround I-Phone/pod sound system, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, etc. Two-level bedroom with homelike king size bed and lower sitting area with multi-pillowed coach, armchair and small table was a wonderful place to rest and relax. The bathroom’s lotus-shaped marble vanities were installed in the center of the premise in front of each other with a separating mirror in between. The rainfall shower in the bathroom had its replica in the garden near blossomed magnolia tree.
The service is very efficient and personalized; the staffs are very friendly and accommodating.
The food – both Thai and European - is good to any taste.
Yes, all these beauties are very expensive but no doubt – worth every penny spent. Highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

This is a beautiful resort in an amazing location but at the rates they are charging I had high expectations as to the service I would receive.
They charge extra for using internet. I didn't mind that so much but when they told me I had to be charged for an hour to use before I checked out I found this ridiculous. This is a 5 star hotel and I didn't expect to be nickled and dimed. We paid the high rates to be freed of this pricing.
At check out there was no one around to to see if all was ok. There was no personal attention that you find in more average hotels in Thailand. The local staff were amazing though.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with a view of the rice fields. If you don't have this view you weill only see othe...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Eleni57

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us here in Chiang Mai. I was delighted to read that you found the property to be beautiful and that the local staff were amazing, it certainly is the team that make the ultimate difference to our guests' experience. I was however concerned to read about our handling of your request for internet access just before your departure. I have taken the time to review the circumstances with the team to be sure that we can handle it in a more thoughtful manner in the future. I was also disappointed to see that no member of the management team was on hand to see you off, as we take pride in spending time with as many of our guests as possible. It certainly is not indicative of our commitment to personal attention.

I hope that you will choose to return to Chiang Mai on your travels in the future and I invite you to contact me directly if I can assist in any way.

Kind regards,

Titiya Chooto (Ms.)
E-mail: titiya.chooto@fourseasons.com

Been to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!