“A Very Peaceful Christmas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Spa Resorts Chiang Mai

The Spa Resorts Chiang Mai
4.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   196 Huaysai, | Huaysai, Mae Rim 50180, Thailand   |
Canterbury
“A Very Peaceful Christmas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for just over a week at Christmas. It was a beautiful location, really peaceful and quiet, although it was a lot colder here than we were expecting. The apartment was very nice indeed, very comfortable, clean and welcoming. The food at the restaurant was very good, particularly the special Christmas meal we had on Christmas eve, and they even provided delivery direct to your door. The early morning meditation on the hill looking over the valley was spectacular.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSpaguy, Guest Relations Manager at The Spa Resorts Chiang Mai, responded to this review, February 28, 2015
Dear Mr. D A,

I am Thibault, the new Guest Relations Manager.

I would like to thank you very much for your comments and I am happy to know that you had a great Christmas with us in 2014.
A lot has changed since then at The Spa Resort Chiang Mai, we have done great upgrades!
We are continuing those changes with each days that goes by.

Hence, should you need another hideaway and very relaxing spot, it will be a great pleasure to welcoming you once again at The Spa Resort Chiang Mai.

To your good health,

Thibault RENARD
Guest Relations Manager

Email: grm@thesparesortchiangmai.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

When I was at The Spa Resort it was very quiet - as in not that many people there. Not sure if this was because of the protests in Bangkok affecting the travel industry in Thailand or what. However, I really enjoyed my stay. If you are looking for a quiet place to relax and rejuvenate, then this is the spot. I get the sense that the vibe here is always relatively quiet, and the focus is on health. You can do various detox treatments, which I didn't do, but they seemed interesting if you are into that kind of thing. The Spa part of The Spa has lots of great treatments. Excellent Thai massages. Much better than any I received in the city of Chiang Mai (although maybe I just didn't know where to go). Anyway, at The Spa they are good quality and the massage ladies are well trained, although they don't really speak English. But the receptionist can help translate if you have any specific physical concerns.

The grounds are really beautiful, and it is also possible to rent a scooter or a bicycle and check out the countryside, or just go on a walk through the rice fields. The yoga studio at the top of the hill (quite a hike, be prepared!) has a pretty spectacular view, and that makes it a lot easier to get motivated to get up in the morning for the meditation and yoga classes. If you are into this kind of thing, the teachers here are really good. They are sensitive to where you are at, and for me the yoga was just challenging enough to get me sweating, but not so much that I got frustrated or exhausted. I felt great afterwards. Gaylin was my favorite teacher, and I only found out just before I left that it is possible to do private classes or even longer yoga retreats. Somehow this isn't very clear on the website, but if I knew earlier I would have splurged on some private classes with Gaylin. She really knows her stuff.

The food here is suppose to be very good, but I actually found it kind of disappointing. They do have lots of raw food options that were good and the various shakes and drinks are tasty, but I was not impressed with the Thai food at all. Otherwise, I would recommend this place to people who are looking for a spot to chill out and enjoy the countryside.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Halmstad, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

The spa resorts is a good hotel at a good rate. It is nicely located in the hills, but I was a bit disappointed that the views from the rooms and swimming pools were not better. I have stayed at hotels in the area, which have had much better taken advantage of the surroundings. The food is ok, but not more. The rooms are very nice and the cleaning perfect. The large is swimming pool is great. We had a some spa treatments and massages the first two days, but since they take place outdoors or semi outdoors we were freezing so much so we did not take any more (we were there in December). Also the restaurant is quite chilly since it is always in shade and does not get heated up during the day. The new owners are Chinese and are said to plan to introduce traditional Chinese medicine. Well, that is not my cup of tea so I am probably not coming back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Doing yoga in the Salas while looking out over the valley to the mountains beyond is most uplifting. Any breeze will also be felt, a boon in the hot part of the year. The Spa is in the foothills and is approached through simple rural settings. A wide range of interest is catered for, from the detoxers to those who just want to laze by the pool, or explore the surroundings.

Price is very reasonable, food edible and staff ok, if lacking any sparkle.

I felt the place was in need of sprucing up. I may be wrong but I heard of some ownership change that will address this issue.

Room Tip: Check that the bed does not squeak, and that the door lock works.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I went there for detoxification purpose. The location is perfect for detoxification. Peaceful and greenery there. They provide u a certain course of drink and large intestine cleansing. Feel lighter and fresher after going through this experience. Take the taxi from airport to the hotel. It's very convenient. Alternatively, u can book the airport transfer from the hotel. Reasonable price! Stay healthy!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Located about 45 minutes outside of the city of Chiang Mai, this is NOT the place to book if you are interested in exploring the city and the sites! This is the place to land if you are looking for a respite from city life and a chance to relax, take care of your health and be in the midst of natural surroundings. The area around The Spa Resort is beautiful and you can rent bikes or scooters and explore the countryside and view the rice fields and the little villages and temples near by.

The resort itself is beautifully landscaped and the atmosphere is very relaxed. There are two amazing yoga shalas on the top of the hill which are well worth the visit. Free meditation in the morning at the big shala. There are yoga classes (not free) as well. All of the yoga teachers are excellent, but I especially recommend Galen's classes. Very clear and calm and I felt great afterwards. There are lots of options for detoxing, including the juice fast which I highly recommend.

The staff is generally very friendly, but the level of English is not great and communication can be a problem at times. I had some great massages there, but they were very busy and it was difficult to book the time that I wanted, so book ahead!

Otherwise, I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The Thai wife an I spent a week here in early August. We decided to mainly relax, but to do some exercise once a day and watch what we eat. We decided against doing any of the weight loss or detox programs, maybe next time.

The resort is 30 kilometres north of Chiang Mai, way off the main road and situated on a forested ridge. A really nice spot.

We booked a two level villa that overlooked one of the two pools. The villa was modern and sparely furnished. But everything you need was there, clean and working. There were split aircon units for both levels. Upstairs was the bedroom, a small landing and bathroom. Downstairs a lounge dining room, very basic kitchen and second toilet. There were small balconies off both levels. The wooden stairs between the levels are quite steep and there is 17 steps. Anyone with mobility issues might consider another single level type of accommodation. Both levels had televisions but the channel selection was very limited.

We ate at the resort restaurant most days. The food caters for most tastes. There is the raw and vegan through to cooked full meals. Only fish and chicken are offered, no pork or red meat. Alcoholic drinks are available. We ate widely and can honestly say nothing disappointed. The chocolate torte dessert at the top of the dessert list was small, very strong flavoured and seriously addictive. At the time we were there, there was quite a few mosquitoes but the repellent available at the restaurant for diner use was effective. This was also available in the store next to the beauty salon. The food prices are reasonable.

We used both the beauty salon and the spa once each. No complaints there although the prices were perhaps a little high. Same as good quality Bangkok establishments. It is an open air spa but the temperature during our visit was pleasant.

We kept active at least once a day. There is quite a bit of the resort to explore. The walk up to the yoga sala was quite good. We did it twice. The view across the valley and to distant mountains to the north, east and south was worth it. We also did some walks in the local area. The best was back to the nearby village and then west following the sighs to the Buddha Footprints. This ended in a rainforest glen where they are building a new temple.

We also borrowed the resort bicycles twice and went for long rides of 2-3 hours. The bikes are very good quality.

The wifi worked reasonably well. There was a power outage one evening but the resort appeared to switch over to either battery backup or more likely a backup generator. The aircon did not work effectively during this period but was okay next day when I woke and power was back to normal.

We had the impression the resort was virtually empty due to it being low season and were really surprised to be told on checking out that it was 50% occupancy. Even at 100% I'd say it would feel reasonably uncrowded and relaxing.

This was our first visit to a health resort and while we are okay to recommend this one, it is probably not an experience we will rush back to. Seems the wife and I are more suited to the five star hotel experience. Sad, I know.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Spa Resorts Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!