“Fabulous food, fabulous massage, fabulous place!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Spa Resorts Chiang Mai

You added The Spa Resorts Chiang Mai to your Saves list
The Spa Resorts Chiang Mai
3.5 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   165 Moo 4 | Huaysai, Mae Rim 50180, Thailand   |
Calgary, Canada
“Fabulous food, fabulous massage, fabulous place!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed The Spa Resort Chiang Mai (unlike their Lamai, Ko Samui location). We chose the yoga holiday/retreat program and did not do a cleanse. The food is excellent; the Thai massage is great and the ambiance in the Bamboo Hut is wonderful; the property is large with many beautiful spots and lots of space to explore; the staff are wonderfully friendly and pleasant. The rooms could be a little more comfortable (for example, replace the beach chairs with some upholstered chairs) and the yoga could be a lot more recognizable and rigorous (for example, less attention on breath work and more on yoga postures; two sessions a day instead of only one). Also, the morning meditations are very guided (i.e., not much silence) and almost annoying for anyone who has a meditation practice or experience. Finally, management is virtually non-existent - no managers, nor owners, introduce themselves, explain things, or show any interest in their guests' experience. There is lots at The Spa Resort Chiang Mai to please. Definitely not high-end, definitely not perfect, but enjoyable and beautiful.

Room Tip: Poolside deluxe rooms - choose the second (top) floor, and the 300 block is more private.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

The Spa Resort north of Chiang Mai is indeed a special place and I would not really recommend it for "normal" tourists. Located a good 40 miniute ride from bustling Chiang Mai the resort is a oasis for all kinds of detox treatments, rather soft ones with juice and less food and real ones with fasting for eight days and internal cleasing processes which seem for normal people probably quite strange. anyway, the resort is large, perfectly trimmed with palmtrees, bambus, small little bungalows by the two pools and one of the best raw food restaurants on the property. the area around is beautiful for long morning walks and even to run (if you get up really early before its too hot). i went there twice for detox and the effect is stunning. most of the costumers like me tend to come back every year after they made it so you might want to give it a try.

Room Tip: I would always prefer a room on the ground level because you have a small veranda in front of your p...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We went to the Spa Resort for a relaxing week getaway despite the not so good reviews received by this place. So, we had mixed feelings from the beginning.

We arrived late and got picked up from the Airport by the hotel vehicle (paid extra). Check in was done smoothly and was greeted by a cold fresh towel and refreshing drink. Much needed after the flight. We booked into a pool view room (not an inclusive package) and was surprised on how spacious and clean the room was. We had a 1st floor balcony room with table & chairs plus 2 deck chairs inside the room, if and when we wanted to lay in the sun from the balcony (nice touch).
The bathroom was very clean and a decent shower with constant hot water. They have the same room service menu as the restaurant with an additional 5% charge for delivery.
One quibble, the pillows are hard and awkward so was quite strenuos for the neck!

Having looked up the activities and other reviews online, we pre-booked most of our treatments and decided to do yoga first thing in the morning. Weve only tried out Yoga a few times before and we were in for a treat. Walking up to the Yoga Salas, the scenery was beautiful as you looked over to your right to see the rolling hills and greenery all around you. The Yoga Salas is located near the Organic Farm, if you stop and take a look, you will see all sorts of fruit & vegetables being grown. The Yoga Salas has amazing views and definitely a must activity when you go. We had 2 Yoga teachers, Lynette and Neil and they were both very good at teaching and practising Yoga. It was a very relaxing, yet invigorating start to every morning we were there.
There are a number of things to do within the complex like: Tennis, Outdoor Fitness area, Spa, Pool, Cycling, Ayuverdic consultation & Raw food preparing classes. I had a tennis lesson, which was great, definitely improved my forehand skills! There is no gym available. They hold talks and activities like tea ceremonies, free for guests each day which I thought was quite nice.

Restaurant - Breakfast at the Radiance Restaurant was very good, the menu is varied and the great thing is that the serve all menu items any time of the day. Most of the food cooked is from their own organic farm and fresh. The portions are sizeable and our favourite breakfast items were the Oatmeal with fresh apples, raisins, flax seeds and cinnamon & the Spa Grains light bread (which is not light as you would think) we think its rye bread full of seeds. Simply delicious!
The menu is varied and caters for most people. Its mostly health conscious with no red meat or pork in the menu. There are numerous Thai dishes, western and vegetarian. There is also a special menu for people who are fasting. They had the most wonderful smoothies and drink concoctions - they have one called Faster Blaster with raw cacao...lovely! Tip: do not drink this before going to bed! because its pure cacao, there are ingredients which make you more awake and alert! Great to have at the start of the day. Another tip is that the Salads and Soups are huge! So be prepared to eat a lot if you order a salad or soup as a starter. The food itself was value for money and you can really taste the freshness in the food. Especially the vegetables. Also to our surprise, there was an extensive wine list.

Spa - we had massages, reflexology, body wrap, manicure & pedicure, steam & sauna.
The massages were varied, however I found the place where you were massaged had no privacy. It was outdoor and although you had a sarong and several towels on you, it still felt a little too public being next to a random person being massaged. I suppose in some places in town, its like that but thought they would have at least put some hanging screens up to separate you from other people. Reflexology was great, especially after doing yoga, cycling and playing tennis. Steam & Sauna were ok and the girls at the Spa were really good at keeping you hydrated with waters & teas.

Staff - Reception staff were ok, some could speak very basic english but there were times that were challenging for us to get our requests through. We got there in the end but they were nice enough and were always friendly.
We would like to commend the restaurant staff because they were friendly, great service and accommodating to our constant menu change requests! For eg. we would ask for brown rice instead of white rice, ask for smaller portions etc. We were having more of the same breakfasts every day and after the second day, the kitchen staff must have noticed that we werent eating the pineapples from the fruit platter they were serving and on the 3rd day took the pineapple out (without us asking) replacing them with more papaya. Another nice touch.
Every staff we met whilst walking around the complex were full of smiles (even the construction workers building more villas near the Yoga salas). The housekeeping staff did a really good job cleaning our room daily and were very helpful.

Overall, we recommend The Spa Resort, Chiang Mai. We had a really nice relaxing time there and were planning to go back and try out the 3 day detox plan. Its an oasis outside of Chiang Mai and we have everything but praise about this place.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are nice, 1st floor ones.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Spend a week here with a friend who was on a juice fast while I had hoped to do some yoga and the gym. The resort is lovely but about 25km from Chiang Mai so if there is anything you would like to do there, then be prepared to travel around 45 min by taxi or maybe slightly less by motorcycle. I had assumed there was a gym which turned out not to be the case however both the meditation sessions and the yoga classes were great and the yoga sala overlooking the surrounding hills and fields is very special indeed.
As for the gym we ended up renting motorcycles (in Chiang Mai as the spa resort's scooters were all booked out) and explored Chiang Mai and the surroundings. If you are into motorcycling there are some lovely country roads to explore.
The packages on offer are probably helpful only if you are sure to use everything but after 5 days of daily Thai massages I was a bit massaged out and the excursions and set meals included in the yoga package were a bit limiting. Since you sign for every massage, meal, class etc. anyway there is no problem in changing to a la carte later. Especially regarding food if you are not on a fast, the restaurant has many delicious and healthy options as does a trip into Chiang Mai.
Staff is very friendly and hard working. Their English is sometimes a bit limited (as is my Thai) but they are always helpful even at the end of a long working day.
One tip: try to book things like massages, consultations, bikes etc. early otherwise things are often not available when you want to have them.
All in all a wonderful, quiet get away in lovely surroundings.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

I did the 7.5 day fasting detox, and it was indeed a life-changing event. I am aiming to go back next year, and make it an annual event, A 7 day juice fast is a major undertaking and a commitment to yourself and your body. But I found that The Spa was a peaceful, serene and supportive environment for this. I finished the week feeling simply amazing from a physical and spiritual perspective, With so much quiet time for myself, and with the daily meditation sessions, I effortlessly sorted out some personal issues and even dealt with some professional decisions,

I did quite a lot of homework prior to the trip and I think this was key to getting a lot out of the experience.The plus for me was that, unlike some other guests, I was prepared for the major components of the detox, including the detox drinks, pill supplements and especially the two daily self-administered colemas. The colema is a concept that it is worth familiarising yourself with. If you are at all concerned about applying a lubricated tip up your own rear end (twice a day, no less), then I'd suggest going to a professional colonic hydrotherapist prior to your trip! Because the detox drinks contain fibre and a form of clay that expand in your gut, the colemas are important to clear them out and the toxins they will collect as they pass through you.

I liked the room a lot. I rented a 2 storey villa, which was spacious, clean, neat and calming. It was a solid effort...not 5 star luxury but definitely not slumming either. I had plenty of space to set up my laptop and look out over the pool while journaling and working. Wireless Internet access is available but at peak times it can be slow in the rooms. Many guests used the Internet access in the restaurant which seemed to have a consistently strong signal.

The massages at the spa were awesome. The ladies were almost uniformly excellent. Again, be prepared as other reviewers have said, as there are no individual massage rooms; so if you are very modest, you might find this a problem because even with the sarongs they use, they do end up exposing a fair bit of your body. Still the place is so laid-back and the massage centre although open-air is adequately shielded by surrounding foliage - it was not a problem for me. I also enjoyed the sauna which is infra-red and excellent for sweating out toxins during the fast.

The restaurant was a highlight. After I broke the fast, I spent 2 extra days enjoying the restaurant's raw food menu. Service was friendly and very polite. There were some language difficulties but not many. The girls at the detox centre were a delight. There was also a great, friendly community of fellow cleansers and a lot of shared laughter and experiences plus some new friendships.

I think anyone coming for a luxury spa experience will be disappointed. Anyone thinking to do a 'detox-lite' is also not going to get much out of this. There are plenty of other places in Thailand and the Philippines where you can spend a few days and feel like you are doing a detox, when you're just having a bit of an R&R. I like luxury holidays but this was never going to be one of those nor was it intended to be. This was about doing some real work on my body. My verdict is that it was a priceless experience. And a nice postscript was that my colleagues at work were blown away at how healthy I looked when I returned!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Went there with my beloved younger sister for our first time detox. The program we chose was "You have changed my life" 7 1/2 days, which was our big mistake. This program was too extream for the first time.

The drinking only fluid is fine. I remember, never felt hungry at all the time. But the big problem was the "Colema board"... it just really not for us. And it was the worst experience in my top 5 list. So, we quitted after 2 days which up to now i still believe, it was the best decision.

It was raining a bit during April but the weather was nice and the air was so fresh with the peaceful atmosphere.

Beside all that, the restaurant was great. The staffs are helpful, all smile and nice. People also nice.

The room also good, nice and clean everyday. We stay in a room nearby the only pool in the resort which was clean and never occupied by more than 3 peoples at a time. I guess, after detox process .. nobody left much of energy for swim anymore.

The spa area in the resort was a bit funny coz they didn't provide any private massage area for any individual at all. But on the upside, the therapises are great and very well experience.

Overall, i guess, it was a nice experience. i know that i'll never go back for the "Colema board" again, for sure, but going back for the health retreat and fasting... yep, maybe.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Middle East Sand dunes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

If you want nightlife, noise, action and bustle then you are at the wrong place. The hotel is located at the end of the road across from some rice paddies. The pace is relaxed and the natural environment is invited in to the well kept grounds.

This Resort focus on Wellness and Health so their clientele and target market is different.

The staff is very friendly and helpfull, the facilities is orientated to wellness and health (organic whole raw foods / colemas etc) although they do serve a decent chicken burger and their wine list is reasonable for this part of the world

Tips: The info you receive on what is on offer with the resort at arrival is very limited so ask questions
The raw foods menu is excellent but the slight differences between the same meal made on two seperate days can be strange at times
The rooms are top notch and is cleaned daily
Long term rentals are available
TV channels are limited, but why watch TV when you can read a book
WIFI is free but can drop out at times
They dont really have room service but on "those" lazy days they will deliver meals to your room
The yoga sala has the most beautiful view
Steam rooms are excellent
The massages are relatively expensive but these ladies really know what they are doing.
Lots of tourist activities in the area (Tiger Kingdom, Monkey Land etc)
The place is not geared for small children

Perfect place to get away from it all and forget aout the rat race. If you want 5 star then rather head for the more upmarket places

Room Tip: All rooms face onto the courtyard pool / There is foot traffick only so no vehicle noise to worry ab...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Spa Resorts Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!