“a surprise during our trip in kk” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaya Island Resort

You added Gaya Island Resort to your Saves list
Gaya Island Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Malohom Bay, Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, Pulau Gaya 88000, Malaysia   |
Special Rate
Stay 3, Pay 2
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Pulau Gaya
Hong Kong, China
“a surprise during our trip in kk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I went with my husband as a honeymoon trip to kk. We only booked one night in this island resort and I wrote an email telling them that it's our honeymoon trip. Upon arrival on this beautiful island I have received a bunch of rose. That was very sweet. The hotel is clean and quiet, there were hornbills around the hotel. My husband is a bird lover he was so excited about seeing real wild hornbills. There's a surprise from the hotel that our bed were set with towel swans and rose petals. We enjoyed a lot in the resort, but one drawback was the food in the resort was actually so-so and relatively expensive.
It's definitely a great get-a-way place and relaxation from hectic worklife.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kirinjit, General Manager at Gaya Island Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort - A walking resort!

I would like to thank you very much on your stay and I am happy to read that your stay was a memorable and relaxing one.

Again, thank you very much for choosing Gaya Island Resort and I look forward to welcome you back in future.

Kirinjit Singh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

If 3 people per room how much one night?? pls reply my question,because next month I will go there ,I hope can stay there ,so I need to know how much your charge,pls be fast and thanks

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Kirinjit, General Manager at Gaya Island Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort.

Many thanks on your posting and we have sent you the information requested to your Trip Advisor message center. We look forward to hear from you soonest and should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to email us at travelcentre@ytlhotels.com.my.

Kota Kinabalu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

It is magnificent in every possible way! Snorkelling a brief walk outside my villa was wonderful, then I went on the special Coral Snorkelling Adventure! A lovely boat ride only to be even more amazed by the spectacular underwater garden - as good as my snorkelling while in the Maldives. The sunset cruise was breathtaking with the staff stopping at nothing to make our experience pure enchantment! I am a very picky eater and the dining staff could not be more gracious in meeting my every modifcation and requirement! Best of all is the Spa Village where my treatments were off-the-charts, unspeakably glorious. . .words are inadequate.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort - A walking resort.

Many thanks on your review and I am happy to read that your stay was a memorable and relaxing stay and the team were exceptional in their respective areas as you experienced the services and facilities.

I would like to thank you very much for choosing Gaya Island Resort for your stay and I look forward to welcome you back in future.

Thank you very much and all the best.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

The resort is very easily accessible, it's only 15 min by boat from Sutera Harbour & Sutera Harbour is only 15 min by car from Kota Kinabalu international airport. Usually most resort harbours are very far from airport & require very long hours car ride.

I stayed in Kinabalu Villa facing the sea & faraway mountain view which requires some uphill walk. However we could see the breathtaking sunrise right from our balcony. Try to catch the sunrise if you can. There is a house reef right in front of the resort. I snorkelled there & even spotted some octopus & squids. Snorkelling gears, kayak & paddle surf were provided free. We enjoyed the swimming pool, bar & live band too. There is a private beach 5 min away by boat where we snorkelled & had BBQ lunch there. The staffs were friendly & services were great. Most of the food were good too.

However our air-conditioner wasn't working on the first night & there were monkeys walking on our rooftop so our first night stay was hot & noisy. The air-conditioner was repaired so everything was great on the second day.

Overall we really enjoyed the stay & we are considering to go back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from Borneo.

I would like to thank you very much for choosing Gaya Island Resort for your break and I am happy to read that you had a memorable time with us and is planning to return for your next stay with us.

Please feel free to email us and we will be happy to make all the necessary arrangements for your next stay. I would like to suggest that you try our newly launched activity, Coral Garden Snorkeling upon your next stay with us as it is now, the most popular activity with our guests.

Again, thank you very much for your support and I look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort upon your next stay.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

An entire troop of friends descended upon here for a 40th do. Exclusive and expensive self-contained resort perched high on balmy hills. Sensitively designed for eco-consciousness (check: private island off Gaya, check: coral atoll, check: turtle conservation outfit with wild boar family] with generous villas that easily accommodate a family of 4 (2 'Asian'-sized parents and 2 girls under 10). Enjoyed pools, scuba diving (extra charge) and walks around the generous property. Spa was sadly overbooked so I never got the weary body in there. A sheer waste as who ever books spa sessions way before you actually are onsite? Not an issue with the sister property over at Pangkor Laut so thought this would also apply here at Gaya as well. Food was GREAT; was really spoiled at lunches and dinners - herb crusted rack of lamb? All in all, great service and a fair deal for the price.

Sister property in Pangkor has some transportation for guests over the hilly terrain. So do the Banyan Trees. Shame about Gaya. Infirm or elderly might not do well here though the littler ones (about 5 years) seemed to cope find ambling about the terrain and property.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort - A walking resort.

Thank you very much for choosing Gaya Island Resort for your break and on your continue support towards the brand. Me and Team is very happy to read on your relaxing stay with us and you enjoyed the services and facilities offered.

I note your challenge with the spa bookings. Perched in the Borneo mangrove with treatments formulated to Borneo cultures are the few of many aspects that is listing our spa as one of the best within the group and one of the most popular with our guests hence I would like to suggest that making advance bookings is best approach on securing the slots of your preferred time. Further, from time-to-time, we do offer special discounts for advance bookings which makes this option as one of the most preferred option with our guests on booking their spa treatments and this also contributes further to the fully booked situations as experienced by your kind self as well. I am very sorry on the inconveniences experienced and I hope the information shared will help your kind self in planning your future spa treatments upon your return to Gaya Island Resort better. Alternatively, please feel free to write to us at travelcentre@ytlhotels.com.my and we will be happy to assist you with your preferred booking(s).

Again, thank you very much on your review and support and we look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 4 days 3 nights to celebrate wedding anniversary. We stayed in the Kinabalu Villa Rm 852 which is at the higher hill. The room is really great with wonderful view! Staff are very polite and lovely. Spa is great and I love the activities so much! Swimming pool is wow! Thank you Gaya Island Hotel! ^^

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for choosing Gaya Island Resort for your break and I am very happy to read that your stay was nothing less then a relaxing and a memorable one.

Again, many thanks on your support and I look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in future. Till we meet again, our best wishes to you and family.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

After exploring the great nature of Kota Kinabalu National Park we really looked forward to this little hideaway at the end of our trip in Borneo before heading to the shopping jungle of KL.

From the minute of arrival at the marina they spoiled us (with cold refreshing towels, sorbet served in ice cold glasses and cold water) and it didn't end - of course at the end of our 4 nights stay ;)
As well the welcome at the resort itself was wonderful and super professional, we got a little tour for a better orientation, the staff speaks excellent english and was very well trained.

We absolutely loved the other private beach of the resort just 5 minutes by boat. Just few people are taking the offer to go there for that it's really very private. There's the marine centre of Gaya Island. We were lucky and could be eye witnesses of feeding a rescued sea turtle.
The cuisine is Thai-style and the crew beside the chef at the private beach was just great. The really created wonderful dishes.

The activity schedule of the resort is pretty busy - it's hard not to find anything you like. I so love the traditional games and snacks hour. This was such a great experience.

Kayak and SUP Stand up paddling and more water games are always around.

Movie nights not just for kids are nearly every night offered.

We had a lovely time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much on sharing your experiences via your review and we are happy to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed the experiences offered.

We offer total 20 different activities to our guests and these activities changes daily on a majority. We are looking forward to add more into our calendar in coming months once we have the matrix finalized.

Again, thank you very much on your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort to experience the more activities that we are looking forward to launch.

Kirinjit Singh.

Been to Gaya Island Resort? Share your experiences!