“Outstanding cosseting on a tropical island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaya Island Resort

You added Gaya Island Resort to your Saves list
Gaya Island Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Malohom Bay, Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, Pulau Gaya 88000, Malaysia   |
Special Rate
Stay 3, Pay 2
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pulau Gaya
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
“Outstanding cosseting on a tropical island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

It's hard not to be impressed by the determination of GIR to make you feel welcome. We were met at Kota Kinabalu airport and escorted to a large Mercedes, where cold flannels and water were provided for our 10 minute trip to the harbour. On arrival, there were Kalamansi Lime sorbets to occupy us whilst the boat was readied. The trip to the actual resort lasted only 15 minutes but we were welcomed yet again with cold flannels and a refreshing drink. Escorted to our room by Celestina we found it decorated lavishly with rose-petals (I'll spare the details to avoid spoiling the surprise for others...) to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary and a bottle of chilled Prosecco awaited us on our return after dinner.

The room was a luxury Kinabalu villa but, as we discovered when we awoke, not with the good view of Mount K promised. Each villa contains 4 rooms, 2 up, 2 down: all others we looked at had rooms side to side so that both had a front balcony view of the sea. Ours, 807, was built facing other villas with at best a side sea view. Fortunately, the delightful Simona quickly retrieved the situation next morning by moving us up the hill to 826.

Each apartment is a single long expanse, broken up into sleeping, storage and bathroom areas. My wife is hard to please on the bathroom front but this had everything: big 'his and hers' wash-basins, a bath of colossal proportions into which we both fitted with room to spare, huge shower and toilet cubicles with frosted glass surrounds, mountains of towels and good toiletries. The bed too was large, very comfortable and had the requisite view looking out across the South China Sea towards Mount K. Storage space was ample, air-conditioning highly effective and a battery of lights was controlled from the bed-side.

Having spent the previous 10 days in the rainforest, it was a bit of a shock to the system to find ourselves back in what is a surprisingly large resort which, during our stay, was operating at 70% capacity. (When it comes to screeching, give me hornbills over children, any day.) Guests ranged from UK honeymooners to extended Chinese families and were evenly divided between Western Europeans and SE Asians. Apart from in the Feast Village, however, you were never aware of these numbers: there were plenty of spare sun-beds and the long, narrow swimming-pool was often empty.

The resort is also long and narrow, on a strip of land looking back to KK. Whilst in the middle distance you can pick out a few large freight vessels, it is far from being the eyesore suggested by some TA reviews. The foreground is an undeveloped part of the island whilst on the skyline, clouds permitting, you can see the crenelated summit of Mount K. There is some unsightly effluent visible at high tide but GIR staff assiduously clean both the beach and the water (by boat, obviously) each day. At night you are more aware of planes landing and taking off from KK airport and the bright lights of the city can clearly be seen.

Even in an upmarket resort like GIR the ubiquitous buffet reigns supreme if you take your meals at the Feast Village. At first encounter this eating area was like a fast-food outlet full of large and noisy families so we were grateful to find one of the outside tables free, even though later we were fumigated by a Frenchman's large cigar. (As an aside, this was the only place we visited in Sabah where you didn't notice staff smoking, some more discreetly than others. Smoking is still more acceptable here than in Europe or North America so it was a pleasure to be somewhere where it wasn't seen as the norm. A shame other guests weren't as considerate, especially the chain-smoking South African photographers on a fashion shoot, who made the pool bar so uninviting.)

Arriving after 9, it was slim pickings in the Feast Village so far as some dishes were concerned. Ingredients and cooking were good but would have been more enjoyable when first set out. We immediately made reservations for Fisherman's Cove, a small fish restaurant, for the rest of our stay. Service there was more formal and very willing although not always polished: on one occasion, pre-dinner drinks arrived just before the main course, coffee came before dessert and a succession of waiters tried to take the same order. However, this was the exception and not the norm and the choice of fresh fish (lobster, tiger prawns, red snapper, mud crab, grouper, scallops, etc) was more than compensation. After the first night, the (new) head chef created a first course off the menu for us each time we dined and on our final evening, also our silver wedding anniversary, he and the sweet young restaurant manager went to town with a celebratory menu (including a large 'plateau de fruits du mer'), a decorated cake and festive decorations.

I should add that for early risers, the Feast Village was much more tolerable for breakfast (the best we had during our 3 weeks in Malaysia) and the Pool Bar at lunch-time offered great cocktails, lime sorbets and very good (and substantial) 'light' meals, both Western and Asian dishes. After reading TA reviews before our holiday, at the last minute we switched to a 'full board' package. Despite this covering food at all outlets, including Fisherman's Cove where the cost each evening was always well over £100, looking at the 'bills' we were asked to sign at each meal my conclusion was that we probably gained very little through this arrangement. If you have a normal appetite and don't want a 3-course lunch each day, as well as 3-course dinners and breakfasts, I suspect that a la carte might prove cheaper.

We have read carefully the more measured criticisms of dissatisfied TA reviewers and recognised some truth in them. What for one person was the unhealthy proximity to mangroves, however, was an attraction for us as it would be for others. We were delighted to see a water monitor lizard near the pond as well as a long, thin snake which slithered across our path, the long-tailed macaque which made a leisurely tour of our balcony, the wild boar under a neighbouring villa and the sounds of birds and insects in the background. That the concrete in the walls and road to the rear of the villas is an eyesore is undeniable but this is still a new resort and foliage is beginning to cover it. In a few years this will not be a problem. Taking the interesting nature walk one morning with Jamie, we found that behind the resort a lot of effort is being made to ensure that the island's flora and fauna are being protected. The private beach to which boats go each day also houses a small Marine Centre where we encountered a disconsolate turtle being treated for digestive problems.

The treatments available at the Spa Village situated amongst the trees at one end of GIR were of an exceptionally high quality and of comparable cost to those in other high-end SE Asian resorts, i.e. still much cheaper than in Europe or the USA. Between us we tried the Balinese Massage, the Rolling Waves and the 3-hour Unduk Ngadau special. (Justifiable recuperation after 10 days in the rainforest.) All were excellent. You are treated to a spice-infused drink beforehand, ginger tea afterwards and the surroundings are quiet and restorative.

Whilst viewed strictly as a resort there are some areas for improvement at GIR, their commitment to good service is second to none. Every member of staff we encountered, from the managers through to the boys cleaning the beach, was smiling, polite and helpful. Many of them made our stay memorable: the staff at the spa and at Fisherman's Cove; Simona, who went out of her way to ensure we were happy with our room; Celestina, who took delight in giving our room the rose-petal treatment for a second time, arranging for a cake and sending Lampard, another member of the reception team, to KK to purchase a toy proboscis monkey (don't ask!); the housekeepers who noticed our cards and who wrote their own congratulatory note. It's people and gestures like these that will stick in our memory long after the tans fade and which explain why it's impossible to give GIR anything other than a 5* rating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirinjit, General Manager at Gaya Island Resort, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort - A walking resort!

Firstly, I would like to thank you very much on your stay with us and I am happy to read that your stay was a memorable one and Celestina, Simona, Jamie, Lampard, Chef and team at Fisherman Cove are among the many that ensured you are well looked after and went the extra miles in their dailies on arranging a memorable celebration on the last evening of your stay. I have shared your comments with the team and congratulated them on their extra miles.

Again, many thanks on your support and me and team look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in future.

Kirinjit Singh.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Herning, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We, a family of 4, spent 8 great days at Gaya Island Resort. The staff is very attentive and helpsome. The resort in itself were worth all of the 5 stars. An example of the dedication of the management were shown on the fifth day, when a minor "must not happen" thing happened. The general manager took things into his own matter, and made sure that this specific item would never happen again. I must say, I was very impressed with his actions, and would recommend all friends and readers to go to Gaya Island Resort. You won't be dissapointed.

Thank you for a good week - Michael Andersen & family.

NB: The diving was not very good, due to bad visibility. I don't know if this was a onetimer, or if the visibility always is this bad.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Greetings!

Many thanks on your review and me and team is glad that your stay was a memorable one and our actions meet your expectations as shared.

Again, thank you very much on your support and we look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in time to come.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed at Gaya Island Resort for a week at the end of our three week honeymoon in Borneo. From the moment we were greeted at the airport we were looked after and received the most incredible service. On arriving at the island I was given a bunch of roses as we were checking in, which was lovely. We stayed in a Kinabalu Villa which had stunning views. The Villa itself was beautifully arranged and pristine. The bathroom and walk in wardrobe were great and when we asked for an ironing board and more hangers they arrived immediately. It was quite a walk uphill to the villa but we are young and (relatively) fit so this wasn't an issue for us.

We ate very well throughout the week. There was an abundance of food to choose from for breakfast and we usually had lunch at the bar which was always excellent, the satay in particular was great. For dinner I would definitely recommend Fishermans Cove, which has a lovely peaceful atmosphere and wonderful food. The main restaurant can be busy and quite warm so if the weather is dry and you prefer something quieter, try to reserve a table outside. The selection of desserts in the main restaurant is quite something, I felt like a child in a sweet shop.

The pool area and beach are stunning and the staff clearly work very hard to deal with any litter that comes in because of the tide. On one of the days we went to the private bay and quite a lot of litter had come in which was a shame but it was being cleared, which is unfortunately all the resort can do given its location.

There were many highlights during our week. If you enjoy spa treatments then you must go to the spa. Mr W is not a fan so I left him to go for a treatment and massage, which was heavenly. We also went snorkelling, which I had never done before and was fantastic, the fish were amazing. The sunset cruise was great and sunset certainly did not disappoint.

Other than the beautiful setting the service was the stand out feature of Gaya Island for us. Azlan, the resident mixologist, was brilliant. He went out of his way to make us some amazing cocktails and it was great to speak to someone who was so clearly passionate about what he does. We were very grateful to him and to all of the staff at Gaya Island for making our honeymoon so special.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirinjit, General Manager at Gaya Island Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

I note on your memorable and relaxing stay with us and Azlan, in particular, stood on an exceptional platform on blending the best blends of beverages.

Thank you very much on your support and me and team would like to wish you all the best and we look forward to welcome you back here in future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Suite was spacious and comes with a walk-in wardrobe, large bath, balcony. Every meal at the resort was just yummy. Naturalist walk was so informative and good way to exercise after breakfast. Snorkeling, which is part of the activity available at the resort, was amazing with the corals and fishes so near the resort. Spa was just divine to wind down after a action packed day. Pool was quite nice and big, it also comes with a fantastic view for sunrise, Must try the sunset cruise arranged by the resort. I saw one of the most amazing sunsets in my travels. Love this resort and can't wait to go back with friends. Only slight minus point is that there are plenty of mosquitoes or sand flies at night, but even that didn't marred my amazing trip.

Room Tip: choose one with the seaview
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort- A walking resort.

I note on your comfortable and relaxing stay you had with us and I have congratulated the team on their efforts and I look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in future.

Again, thank you very much and I wish you all the best.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We arrived in Gaya Island in early July and I was a bit worried by some of the reviews so let me comment on them first.
Litter. We are early risers and you could see people cleaning and sweeping the beach every day. In fact if you get there early enough you will see some "Zen" patterns in the sand. I saw the odd bottle in the sea but there was almost nothing on the beach.
Food costs. Evening meal for me and my wife usually came to £50 for the pair of us but the food was delicious. Unlimited starters of wonderful and imaginative salads, plus unlimited deserts. Many of the latter were absolutely divine. So the meals are not that expensive really. I would pay that in a middle of the road place in my town.

What about the rest?

The staff are a major asset to this place and are fantastically attentive and helpful. Real professionals.
Rooms are clean, well appointed and to my mind, luxurious. We never used the 2-person bath sadly. The pics of the rooms are a fair representation. A very minor quibble, there was no machine for making filter coffee. You get these in most hotels in the USA and I am used to them now but I never saw one in Borneo. It would be nice to have one.
The gardens and views are beautiful and stunning. For someone used to the commute into London I could only say that they were a vision of paradise.
Activities. My wife attended the cookery class which was expensive but good value. She was taught by the head chef and when they finished they got to eat their creations in the fine dining restaurant. Yoga and meditation was free as was the nature walk. The highlight though for me and my wife has to be the snorkelling. You have to love a hotel that has a house reef! Part of the reef is protected and you can only snorkel on it with a guide but you can freely snorkel over the reef in front of the hotel. It is teeming with fish. My wife cant swim very strongly so she donned a buoyancy aid and I towed her about and she loved it. The clown fish will bump your face mask. I also did the 3-day PADI course through the hotel. A note about the diving trainers- I am an educator and was very impressed by the diving instructors. They explained things clearly and made me feel safe. Excellent service.

If I was managing this hotel I would feel proud of the staff they are probably the most attentive and professional hotel staff that I have ever come across (I am 52 so have stayed in a few hotels).

The shop sold face masks but no snorkels. You can hire them but I would suggest that you get your own. They sell rash-gaurd and it is about the same price as in the UK. Wish I had had a cheap waterproof camera. You can get waterproof cameras for shallow snorkelling for £100 or so and I bet they would have sold like hot-cakes if the shop had had them.

I stayed for 6 days and found it difficult to leave! It was expensive but good value.

Room Tip: Take your own snorkel and face mask to save rental costs. Take a few bottles of wine with you. Rash...

Greetings.

Many thanks on taking your time to share your experiences with us. Me and team is happy to read that your stay was nothing less then a memorable and relaxing experiences. I have shared your comments with the team and have congratulated them on their nobble efforts in their dailies.

Again, thank you very much on your support. Me and team look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in future.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is my most favourite place in the world! I could not find fault with it from the air-conditioned check-in at Kota Kinabalu to the smiling staff that waved good-bye as we left. So the check-in at Sutera was great - a little ice-cream to cool us down and treated like VIPs as we were ushered to the waiting launch (it was pouring so we each had a person with umbrella. The fun speed-boat ride to the little jetty was about 15 mins, and once we reached the other side it really felt like paradise - this place is stunning! Luxury meets the jungle!
I read a lot of reviews on Gaya Island before I went and so was nervous about the cost of food but actually I don't think the full board option is worth taking personally @ £65.00 per person per day to include lunch and dinner - so for lunch we shared some of the delicious chicken wings with wedges for about £15.00 at the swim-up pool bar (amazing) while enjoying a refreshing cocktail (about £6.00) - there is lovely pool bar menu with pizza for about £10.00, snacks for about £9.00 so not bad value and even though my husband (ex-rugby player) loves his food it was plenty between us. For supper in the Feast Village you choose from an amzing array of starters and puddings which are included in your main course price so it worked out for the spring chicken at about £20.00 or the seafood linguini about the same so not bad value at all - obviously if you eat the steaks then you can be looking at about £40.00. Fishermans Cove is a fish restaurant in the most beautiful setting, situated on the roof above Feast Village. Starters range from about £8 - £11 and the mains are from about £18.00 to about £30.00 but there are other fish you can choose from which are market price so no idea what they would be.
So no complaints at all about the food - it was all excellent and lots of variety. Breakfast, in my opinion, would be better as a la carte but the omelettes were delicious however I would like to have had my holiday favourite, eggs benedict.
Service, as one would expect was exceptional - the cocktails could have been quicker but cocktails always seem to take a while to make.. My stand-out person was Simona who welcomed us, looked after us, chatted with us and even gave me her hydrocortisone cream after I had been attacked by mosquitoes - I had a spa while I was there which is definitely worth doing - I always find spa treatments expensive unless on a street in Thailand so £70.00 seemed pricey but it was worth it and after climbing Mount Kinabalu, def needed! It repaired me 3 days earlier than my husband so it was worth it! and the location is out of this world (although walking there was difficult with my sore quads.calves).
I had previously stayed at the YTL Tembok Spa Village in Bali and so was very pleased that Gaya Island has stuck to the same model of amazing efficiency and luxury. Thank you so much for an amazing stay.

Room Tip: If you have just climbed a mountain ask for one closer to reception areas
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort- A walking resort.

Thank you very much on your review and choosing Gaya Island Resort for your recent break. Me and team is happy to read that you had a memorable stay with us and enjoyed the facilities and services offered.

Again, thank you very much on your support and we look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in future.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We have just left Gaya island resort having stayed there for a week of our honeymoon. The staff made us feel really special and acknowledged our honeymoon with a gift and petals on our bed. Every member of staff is well trained and take time to learn your name that they refer to whenever saying hello! We were upgraded to a canopy room which was really nice.
Thankfully we had taken the meal plan so our meals were included, or else it would of been a very expensive week... We also received a daily treatment in the spa which was brilliant! Food and drink is expensive so be prepared for this, there is no where else on the island to buy food from and a boat trip back to the mainland costs £55.00 per couple. Cheapest bottle of wine is £30. But if you get over this and take the meal plan you will not be disappointed.
The staff really make the resort and no request is overlooked, the sunset cruise is magical. Celestiana- our rep was lovely and really made the week brilliant.

Room Tip: Pack a bottle or 2 to enjoy on your balcony... Take the meal plan and the wave massage is fantastic!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirinjit, General Manager at Gaya Island Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013

Greetings from Borneo!

I would like to thank you very much on taking your time to share with us your experiences and I am happy to read that you had memorable and relaxing stay with us.

Again, thanks for your support and me and team look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in future.

Kirinjit Singh.

Been to Gaya Island Resort? Share your experiences!