“Never been so inconsiderately treated in my life” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Terraces At Ocean Beach

The Terraces At Ocean Beach
You added The Terraces At Ocean Beach to your Saves list
The Terraces At Ocean Beach
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   346 Oceanbeach Road, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga, New Zealand   |
“Never been so inconsiderately treated in my life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had the misfortune of staying here for a few weeks with a colleague as I was moving house and needed a stopgap stay between tenancies. Within two days I was interrogated as to why things were being stored (neatly stacked) in the garage despite explaining why I was there and then was humiliatingly shouted up from an upstairs balcony infront of one of my seniors at work as to why they were staying there, when I had already informed the hosts they would be.

However poor customer service skills were taken to a new height when the hosts reduced me to tears upon moving out. I was moving out more suddenly than expected due to an unexpected emergency involving a close friend in Auckland, which despite my visible distress was not cue for sympathy or understanding but instead to be hounded for the upcoming weeks rent. (This was subsequently then taken with no notice off of my credit card which I had left the details of in good faith to cover as a bond, there were no damages upon exiting)

Frankly I would rather sleep on the beach or the street than deal with the hosts again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ashkelon, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

the Apartment is very nice and comfortable and located in a great location.
But the hosts are rude, and really bad in guest service; it seems like we stay in a prison.
the host(old lady) talking loud and screaming- without no manners to the person shes
talking to.
really Disappointing.

Room Tip: do not try to go in the garage!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We have just come back from the above apartments @ Mount Maunganui ( 18 October - 22 October) . We read the previous reviews from guests & we don't know why all the negative feedback . We had no problem checking in or with the custodians / of the Apartments .

We stayed in number 8 and found the 3 level unit very clean & comfortabable . We were 2 adults and 2 kids ( 9&7). The beds were comfortable , we had enough bath towels & aswell as they provided us with swim towels which we used at the Hot Pools.

The first night we tried to have a bath and the hot water was luke warm , so we decided it would be better to shower which we did and the water was better ( i think they prefer people to shower as bathing takes too much water)

BAYFAIR MALL was around the corner , you could either walk or drive .

The apartments are accross the road from the beach , there is a ''walkway'' or beach access from the road ( past & in between the residentual homes) .

The Milano pizzaria which is located down the road ( walking distance ) we felt was overpriced and the food was average , we were very disapointed with the taste of the food and the price we had to pay for a meal for 4. The following night we went to the Cobb& Co in Tauranga & there you could see the food was of different quality. We did not mind paying a little extra for the quality of the food.

The apartments are situated a coupld of km's ( about 6) from the Mount, Hot Pools & main beach area, but it is a quick drive and then you are there . The mount and surrounding cafe's & eateries are great and the beach is beautiful.

IF you want to be DIRECTLY at the Mount & all the eateries I would suggest finding an apartment right there , then there is NO NEED to drive ...So the next time we book it would be closer .

Overall we were HAPPY with The Terraces , it was clean and very comfortable . We could not find anything wrong with it & like i said we cannot believe that people actually complained about The Terraces .

The Wheal Family
October 2012

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My colleagues and I stayed for four nights in these apartments for a work commitment close by. While the apartments were OK (comfortable enough), there were a few things that let them down badly - I liken it to staying with elderly grandparents that don't like to spend money.
On arrival I was asked what time my colleagues would be arriving as they shut the office at 8:15pm and if they weren't there before then other arrangements would have to be made. I was also told to be careful getting into my garage as it was on a tight angle - sure enough, it took a six point turn to get in (more on that later) but it was nice to have a garage for my car.
The first thing that I noticed on climbing the incredibly steep stairs with my suitcase (in heels - an accident waiting to happen), was the notice in the kitchen full of the "DO NOT's" ending with the words "This is NOT a motel" which after reading the list I took to mean "Don't expect any service or attention from us, just be good and clean up after yourself" The most surprising things? No fresh towels to be provided (they cleaned only every week) and that you needed to "Do all of your dishes and remove all rubbish on day of departure" and that failure to do this would result in a 'fine' of $40. This statement finished with "You have been warned!" Warned? What is this? A prision camp?
The place itself was as I said, comfortable enough (save for the cobwebs around the place) but the bathrooms really need refurbishing - they are getting pretty grotty: peeling paint, broken toliet flush, stained sink (that really looked as if it hadn't been cleaned well - the bath had a couple of long black curly hairs in it and I'm blonde with short hair). The kitchen was quite well equipped but would have benefitted from the addition of a couple of small things: a coffee plunger, some decent sized water glasses and a smaller pan. The iron was the tiniest iron I've ever used: like one from a toy set! I guess this is where I started to feel that the owners really need to go and experience what you get at similar accomodations: I travel a lot for my work and this is the first time I haven't had a full-sized iron. It is rare now to not have a plunger provided...just a few simple updates would make a difference.
To get into my garage each night I took to very carefully driving the "wrong way" so I could approach at a much easier angle - on departure day the owner strode up to my car as I was backing out, opened my passenger door and told me off for driving the wrong way and potentially causing an accident (at 5km p/hr there would have been fatalities).
My colleagues were in the apartment next door and had a mouse wake them on their first night rummaging in their rubbish bin, the shower was broken so it soaked their entire bathroom every time they used it, and with fresh towels being so scarce it meant adding washing/drying to a 12hr work day, and the curtains fell off the rail in both the bedroom and the lounge area when pulled. They were also only provided with one and a half toilet rolls for two women on a five day stay, but as the notice said "This is NOT a motel". In other words, don't bother asking.
My advice: Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

I stayed with my family at these apartments. I found the hosts extremly rude and felt very unwelcome.

I was very shocked early on morning whilst having a morning smoke in the central court yard to see a plastic shoping bag on the table with human faeces in and around it.
I was disgusted that I had my family staying here, we asked for an early check out which created more problems with the rude hosts.
worst ever experience.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

The apartments are good but would not be suitable for people with a disability due to a lot of stairs. It is close to the beach and to Bayfair Mall, and about 6 km away from Mt. Manganui. We were two couples. One couple had a nice spacious double bed room with TV and balcony in the third level. The other couple had a small double bedroom. The entry was through the garage so that we had to squeeze along our car each time we would go in or out of our bedroom to go upstairs into the kitchen and dining room area. The bedroom next to the garage had also a tiny bath room. There was no space for personal items, such as tooth brushes etc. The shower was dirty on arrival. The apartment had also a balcony (only window for fresh air), and since it was on ground level it was exposed to major traffic noise on a very busy cross road. There were only 3 m distance between the street/cars and the bedroom. The apartment had flees downstairs. And the couple upstairs got bitten each night (apparently by 'bed bugs' as we found out at a pharmacy that helped us in relation to the bite treatments). It was very rainy weather when we stayed at The Terraces. The rain came through the ceiling in level 2 (which was the launch) so that the carpet was soaking wet. The managers of the Terraces have poor costumer skills. The telephone line at the office had no answer phone on. The office glass door was always locked and got only unlocked by the manager inside when we rang the door bell. There was hardly any eye contact and very poor even rude communication skills when we raised our concerns. The manager laughed at us when we asked for a refund (wanting to move out early) or a compensation and made it clear that such a thing would never happen for us. As we did not give up on our complaint, they cleaned another apartment for us, and we moved for the last two nights into another very similar apartment. Also this apartment had flees downstairs, and the ceiling above the shower was black and moldy.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Ants in the apartment when I arrived, customer service was really bad, host was rude and did not help with any of my concerns. Payment was demanded on first day and did not get my money's worth. This was a very disappointing stay and I will not be returning and will not recommend this apartment to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to The Terraces At Ocean Beach? Share your experiences!