“Stunning & Gorgeous. Experience of a lifetime” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hembudhu Island, North Male Atoll   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hembadhu
London, United Kingdom
“Stunning & Gorgeous. Experience of a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I must begin by thanking Atoll Paradise in Maldives who were tremendous help in selecting this resort and also provide some good deal on the package.

Undoubtedly, staying at the Vivanta by Taj in Maldives had been by far the best experience. The one aspect where Taj supersedes any other hotels & Resorts chain is in its Hospitality. And it is evident through the interactions with every single member of staff who lives the concept of "||Atithi Devo Bhava||" every single moment. As an Indian I admire and appreciate this gesture.

Michelle, Irina and Aditi at the Front Desk, welcomed us with a beaming smile and pleasant words. I believe this was crucial in making us feel at home and in good hands during our stay. They were very helpful throughout our stay and were available via the "ASK" key from our Villa.

Entire house keeping staff went beyond their duties and ensured my wife and I get a nice little surprise every time we entered our Villas. I also loved the politeness and courteous behaviour. Haven't seen such mannerisms in a house keeping staff anywhere in the world.

We ate most of our meals in Latitude where we were always welcomed by a warm greetings and beaming smile from Jade and Caroline. A special thanks to Rana, who were always helpful in suggesting / selecting food items from the menu. Our Romantic beach dinner by the beach side will always remain closest to our heart experience. Irshan ensured we are served well and yet ensured we enjoy the privacy of the romantic dinner.

As non swimmers, both my wife and I were sceptical about using some services such as snorkelling. However, the dive centre staff were helpful in ensuring we feel safe and secure by providing us with a lot of information on the details of usage of equipments and safety precautions. House Reef guided tour instructor was helpful in giving us confidence to Snorkel even in the waters as deep as 20 feet.

We found the staff at the Jiva Spa very professional who ensured we do not feel awkward and enjoy the

A special thanks to Praveen Gaonkar, the security manager at the resort. Praveen ensured that we feel safe on that small island. But also helped us explore key spots on the island to take memorable pictures. I was impressed by his photography skills and knowledge. I don't recollect interacting with any security manager of any hotel chain before in my life. Praveen is a keen observer and pays attention to details, which is very appropriate to his role as a Security Manager. He interacted with me in my mother tongue - Marathi to ensure I feel at home. What was admirable was that after finding out my wife is Bengali, he ensured someone speaking Bengali interacted with her to make her feel at home too. Incredible gesture.

Overall, Vivanta experience exceeded our expectations. A must visit.

Room Tip: Its good to select Water Villas over beach Villas if you fancy access to Blue/Turquoise water from y...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

My team and I are delighted to receive your review of your wonderful stay with us recently. Thank you for your encouraging feedback and compliments of the resort.

It is very rewarding for the team to realize that their warm, professional and anticipatory service very much contributed towards your stay experience. Indeed, it is the Taj way to ensure that all our guests receive the genuine warmth and hospitality that they deserve. We are very pleased that you felt well-taken care of during your stay.

Thank you once again for your review, we really appreciate your compliments and the same has been shared with all the staff members at Vivanta by Taj – Coral Reef, Maldives.

It will be our pleasure to extend the wonderful Taj hospitality to you again, should you plan another holiday with us in the future.

Vishal Singh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Taj Maldives is outstanding in all respects - be it the property, rooms, food, service or overall ambiance in the common areas. We had an amazing vacation and would go back again any day. To start with the property is really great, the gym is good as well and the snorkeling areas around the resort were nice as well. The rooms were great with decks behind the room facing the beach. We are vegetarians but the food was among the best food we have ever had - the breakfast, the sea facing restaurant and the bar were all really great with amazing service. The service and the staff was extremely helpful and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. A special mention about Mr. Hari, the executive housekeeper went out of his way to make our stay comfortable and got our room decorated on the last day of our stay. The pool is also really nice overlooking the sea. The whole resort with the staff makes your stay so special that you don't feel like leaving and want to come back again!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Vivanta by Taj – Coral Reef, Maldives, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We very much appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you felt well-taken care of during your stay.

It is indeed very kind of you to have taken the time out to recognize our Executive Housekeeper Hari Krishnan. It is such words of praise that serves as a great motivator for the entire team and provides encouragement to strive for even greater heights of perfection and guest delight. I have personally shared your comments with him.

We hope to have you with us again and it will be our pleasure to extend warm Taj hospitality.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Breathtaking beauty & heartfelt hospitality - Taj Vivanta over lived our expectations...
The staff lived the concept of Atithi Devo Bhava - guests are God... Each and every staff made his presence felt and always made us feel special and has etched the stay in our memories for the rest of our lives.... I highly recommend Taj Vivanta to all the honeymooners, couples, family groups, or people in pursuit of bliss...

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate your compliments and it is really nice to know that your stay experience was truly memorable due to our warm and friendly service, accommodations and facilities.

It will be our pleasure to extend the warm Taj hospitality to you again, should you plan another holiday with us in the future.

Ahmadabad, Gujarat, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed at this resort during 13-Dec-12 to 20-Dec12 i.e. for 7nights/8 days. Overall the experience was good but not great as you will find out below:
1. I stayed at the Superior Charm Beach Villa ( Room 222) during the first 5 nights and at the Premium Indulgence Water Villa (Room 131) during the last 2 nights of my stay.
2. My stay at Lagoon Villa spoilt the trip..firstly the room was at the backside of the resort. The room felt relatively unused and so it had problems like the hot water outlet was throwing out yellow water, the electricity switch tripped continuously as a result of which the plugs stopped working and so did the intercom. Everytime I had to complaint, I had to go out, get hold of the staff and ask them to send someone. The location of the room was also not nice and it didn't have privacy since there was continuous boat movement at the back jetty.
3. My transfer from Superior Beach Villa to Lagoon Villa was also not handled properly. I was given room only around 4 PM. I ended up waiting the entire day and as a result couldn't plan out for any activity that day. :(
4. For indians and vegetarians particularly,the food is good and tastes perfect. However, if you are planning to stay longer than you'll find the menu short of options. While the staff did offer to prepare anything off the menu, it would help if they could have a menu for indian vegetarians from which we could select and intimate them in the morning so that they could prepare it for dinner. In case of deserts we definitely felt that there were very few eggless varieties. Again we left it on the staff to prepare two desserts for me and my spouse for dinner every night but ended up getting the same dessert presented differently.
5. The sea was rough during our entire stay and so we missed out on most of the activities. All we could do was snorkelling. I
6. One of the wierdest things of the hotel was that they didn't charge for bottled water at breakfast but they did when you ask for it at dinner. STRANGE!!!
7. The main beach area is too small.

All in all..it was an ok experience. Especially when you consider that I paid approx INR 40000 per room for the lagoon villa, i expect things to be flawless for most of the part. While they did try to compensate me with a complimentory late checkout, somehow it didn't feel enough. I wish I could get my money back for those last two nights at Lagoon Villa.

Room Tip: For Superior Beach Villa the location of the room 222 is good and offers a sunset view. For Premium...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay at Vivanta by Taj - Coral Reef, Maldives.

We very much appreciate your constructive feedback & apologise for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay.

I have shared your comments with my team & I assure you that we will continue to work hard to uphold the high standards expected of luxury resort.

With regards to electricity and plumbing issues, all our rooms are checked on a daily basis and go through a regular preventive maintenance schedule to ensure quality standards. We do our best to ensure guest privacy at the resort including the back jetty area however during rainy weather or sea being rough, we have to receive and depart our guests from that jetty that causes some movement in that area. We thank you for bringing up your point regarding the room transfers delay and our Front Office team is addressing this issue to ensure a smoother room change process. Our food & beverage team looks at changing the menu on a quarterly basis & also benchmark the prices with other similar resorts . We are sorry that you could not enjoy the water sports and other excursions due to adverse weather conditions however am certain that you must have enjoyed snorkeling in our beautiful coral gardens.

I again apologize for the inconvenience. Should you plan another holiday in 'Sunny Maldives' it will be our pleasure to extend our warm Taj hospitality experience to you again and certainly to exceed your expectations.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

As a newlywed couple, our experience at Vivanta Coral Reef Maldives was stupendous. Everything about our stay at Vivanta was just perfect including the privacy at our water villa, the access to reef from the villa deck, the cozy feeling of a small island, the sting ray feeding every evening, the snorkeling trip to the Blue Lagoon, the sunset cruise, and the outstanding courtesy extending to us by the Vivanta staff. Special thanks to:

-Praveen Gaonkar – The man in-charge of guest safety, but also someone that has a passion for photography and will go the extra mile to shoot photographs and capture memories for guests. He will go as far as to schedule shoot timings for couples and then bring his own camera along just in case :)
-Kannan – The man in-charge of mixing the perfect drinks at the Reef Bar at Vivanta. Little did we know that other than mixing drinks, he can dance very well and can be stiff competition at a game of pool :)

-Others including Vaibhav, Balaji, Michelle, Dive Center Team….

In all, Vivanta Coral Reef Maldives is perfect for couples looking for privacy on a cozy little island that has great snorkeling just outside your villa deck and extremely courteous staff that will go all out to make your stay memorable…

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Jaipur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in the month of January 2007 for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was a beautiful setting with a lagoon all around the island. The rooms were well appointed and had direct access to the lagoon. The staff was very attentive and made our stay a very memorable one

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Vivanta by Taj – Coral Reef, Maldives, we are glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us.

We very much appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you felt well-taken care of during your stay. We hope to have you with us again; Should you plan another holiday in 'Sunny Maldives' it will be our pleasure to extend our warm Taj hospitality experience to you again and certainly to exceed your expectations.

Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Its always interesting to both read about a place before you go & then again after you return. With somewhere as reviewed as this place I suspect we were on the island at the same time as some of the other contributors, which makes the disparity in opinions even more interesting.
We stayed on an all inclusive deal. I've no idea what the uplift was for this as it was booked ages ago, but even if I did pay more I would probably still be happier than having to sit & look at a menu each day which charged me $25 for a lunchtime pizza & seemingly fortunes for all food & drink. We both drink a fair amount, so this way we just indulged in the food & drink without a care.
The island is tiny. About 30 beach villas one side & a similar amount of water villas the other. They surround the staff quarters with the restaurants & bar at one end. When we were there I would say the place was at about 50% to 70% occupancy, so we could pick which table we wanted almost every sitting. If it was full then you might feel a little shoehorned in as the villas are close together.
I have no complaints with the accommodation. We had a beach villa. It was plenty big enough, cleaned twice a day by a really nice helpful guy, with great views of the water & sunsets. Neither of us have any wish to stay in the water villas. Cant see the attraction. Much better to be able to walk out to your hammock under the palms or straight down onto the sand into the sea.
In my opinion the food was one of the successes of the place (its not the Fat Duck but its pretty good). The pricing could have made me wince as we were there a long time, but on an AI deal it was not relevant. Even with a 12 day stay I didn't get to try everything & I did give it a go. Some things were just so good I had to eat twice (& one 3 times). We have been to the Maldives once before. The island was bigger & the restaurants were a buffet. Here everything was cooked for you, even the breakfasts. Some things were better than others but overall I found the quality & variety to be excellent. Though we both like eastern food & we're not veggie. Not quite sure why one of the 2 restaurants specialises in South American (other than there's an American chef) but whatever...
If I did have a criticism then I would say that they could make more of an effort with the restaurant ambience. As has been said elsewhere it is really a couple’s island (the place is rammed with Japanese honeymooners, changing on seemingly a daily basis).
If you're lucky in Latitude you get to meet Tariq. The guy is a star. Taj need to look after him, because he does go the extra mile, & for him service is everything.
Similarly in a different way Kannan in the bar. There is no closing time for him. Not that we ever stayed late, but in talking to him & watching him deal with his customers, if you want it, he will do his best to provide. His party piece is finding out your musical tastes then playing it as you sit down for a drink. We really could not find fault with any of the staff. Everyone does their best, most are good, some excel.
We chose this island because we wanted somewhere small after our last trip. It fits that bill. We also wanted somewhere with excellent snorkelling (not diving, don't do that). The last place had an abundance of turtles to swim with. The snorkelling is ok, not brilliant. The star of the show are the stingrays. Feeding them is ok, but can get a bit stressy as you watch people who haven't a clue, & will never have a clue, do stuff that makes you cringe/angry, but swimming with them is something else. This you can do probably for an hour a day. There are over 20 of them & they circle round you, often playing chicken with you before sliding under you in less than 2 feet of water. Sometimes there can be 3 or 4 going under you at the same time. It is an awesome & humbling experience.
There is an enormous range of nationalities holidaying at this place. Very cosmopolitan, & there really is little to do other than relax, though we did use the gym most days at silly o clock, before breakfast.
The one thing that did puzzle me was the infinity pool. Just why would you build one, then build a wall behind it so as you look across the pool, yes you can see the sea, but its the other side of the breakwater.
Our only gripe was the spa. Needless to say on an island like this its never going to be cheap, but you can forgive that if it is excellent. Mine was but my partners response was "I don't know if it was just me she hated or all of mankind. She was clueless & seemed to spend most of her energy trying to crush my bones." I did mention this to the front desk, they said that they would inform the spa of my comments, but obviously did not think them worthy of reducing the bill.
On the last night we wandered to the end of the jetty for a last look at the fish illuminated in the lights. We sat for a while, legs dangling over the edge, and our first turtle swam directly underneath us.

Room Tip: in beach villas probably rooms 218 & above get you away from the communal areas & able to se...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback from your stay, it is really nice to know that your stay experience was truly memorable due to our warm and friendly service, accommodations, activities and relaxation. Kannan and Tariq have received your compliments with much appreciation. Indeed, they and the rest of the Vivanta team are pleased that you felt well-taken care of during your stay at Vivanta by Taj – Coral Reef, Maldives.

Our signature restaurant specializes in the South American cuisine and hence makes Vivanta by Taj – Coral Reef’s Open the Grill the only South American dining outlet in Maldives and with regards to the ambience and décor at the resort, it is inspired by the elements of nature – sea, sun and the sky.

We thank you for bringing up your point regarding the spa experience and as per the standard process our therapists enquires about pressure preference and focus points before the treatment and check on the pressure and comfort during the treatment.

We look forward to your return in the future, and to extending the warm Taj hospitality and great stay experience that we always strive to deliver.

Vishal Singh

Been to Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives? Share your experiences!