“Enjoyed my stay at this busy place” 4 of 5 stars

Loetje
Bloemendaalseweg 260, 2051 GN Overveen, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Overveen B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Enjoyed my stay at this busy place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights for a work trip. It was actually supposed to be 5 nights, but the hotel had mixed up some bookings and they had to find our group somewhere else to stay for our last night. I know this would already receive a poor rating based on this for some guests, but I'm one who goes with the flow, so although slightly inconvenient, the positive was that we got to stay in the centre of Haarlem for a night. (The location was extremely convenient for my work purposes however).

I was confused when I first arrived since this seemed more like a restaurant than a hotel. But it's true: it seems like the restaurant is the bigger business here and then they have several rooms upstairs for guests. I had to pay on arrival but I had an incredible deal for the room. I'm not sure if we had some sort of group deal, but this is was the lowest price I've ever paid for a hotel so it's the best value for anywhere I've ever stayed. My room was a cute and clean. For those less mobile and/or with heavy luggage, be warned that there is no elevator and you will have to climb up the steep Dutch stairway.

Internet is free but very spotty (it would cut off spontaneously quite a lot so it was unreliable to work with). Breakfast was good. Easy to access by public transport as there is Overveen train station just down the street and a bus stop just outside the hotel. We ate at the hotel a number of times and always enjoyed the food. The restaurant is always busy, but if you are a hotel guest, they will prioritize you and let you cut the line.

Even though there are some things here I criticize, I just really liked the atmosphere of the place and of the restaurant. The staff is friendly, so even if there are a few errors here and there, I still really liked the feel of the place so really enjoyed my stay overall.

Room Tip: I think people in my group said that rooms 101 and 201 are smaller than the rest so maybe try to get...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dro, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 7 pm and it took about 25 minutes to check in. The 'reception', which is actually very very small, is in the corridor that goes to the toilet of the restaurant. We were asked to pay in advance, without even having a chance to see the room. All in all the receptionist wasn't very polite. There is no parking reserved for hotel guests and at 7 pm it is not easy to find a place to park the car. There isn't the lift and the stairs are very narrow and steep. The corridor that leads to the rooms smells of food from the restaurant and, at least at the second floor, the floor is not clean. The room is small but it is nice and newly renovated. The breakfast is good. All in all we had the feeling that the main business were the restaurant and that the owner/managers payed little attention to the hotel services.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I lived in Bloemendaal for a year and Loetje was one of my favorite restaurants.
Atmosphere is relaxed and service is good. Perfect for after work drinks or dinner.
The Bali Steak and the grilled sole is a must, accompanied with the famous frites& mayonnaise.
Good wine and very tasty desserts.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Loetje is a chain, and was originally just steak & frites restaurants, but the Loetje Overveen is also now a very pleasant hotel too. Rooms & bathrooms and clean and modern, and the food is great. Would recommend to any traveller - and if you like steak & frites, tuck in! Excellent helpful staff and a relaxed & friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Harrogate
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've stayed here on business a couple of years ago and it was OK, It has now been renovated and taken over, the change is for the better.

The downstairs in now one massive restaurant and its very busy, the food though is fantastic, the steak was amazing.

The rooms have had a makeover and are now modern and well equipped, overall its excellent, whilst busy the staff are friendly.

Room Tip: Its common in Holland, but the stairs are very steep !, but its best to get on the 3rd floor as the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had booked our stay at Loetje through booking.com (albeit only 12 hours before we were supposed to arrive) but unfortunately found ourselves in front of a closed door when we came to check in. A telephone number on the door brought us to call the employee on call, who showed up within 15 minutes to help. Our booking could not be found in their system and they did not have any rooms available, but after some calling around it turned out that one of the rooms was actually being held for one of the employees - who was professional enough to give it to us and find another place to sleep.

Although the mix-up was unfortunate and almost ruined our stay, the staff was very helpful. The room we stayed in was simple but elegant and well-kept. We could not find anything wrong with it. Breakfast was very good, with a varied buffet and a pot of coffee, jug of orange juice and basket with fresh croissants and buns on the table. Although it is a bit pricy, it is definitely worth the money if you are comfortable spending it on a hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Loetje? Share your experiences!