“Great Location, poor service and attitude.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Calicoan Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Guiuan
Calicoan Surf Camp
You added Calicoan Surf Camp to your Saves list
ABCD Beach, Calicoan Island, Guiuan, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Guiuan
Dubai, UAE
“Great Location, poor service and attitude.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have been going to this resort and using the facility for day use only. Each time I travel to Guiuan to visit my wife's family i try to go there and relax. Despite the treacherous and hazard filled van ride from the airport in Tacloban 3 hours away, the resort grounds are AMAZING.

It is the service that really sucks. The infinity pool is probably the best kept secret along with the fiji inspired bungalow cottages. Trouble is, the food is limited and the service is on filipino time. Nobody bothered to check on us at the pool side. each time we wanted another round of beer, we had to walk up the path and try to find someone to serve us.

The staff are locals and not trained in customer relations or hospitality. They try thier best, but it is often frustrating trying to feel relaxed and enjoy yourself.

Each time I go I try and ask about buying a T-shirt. I really don't think they print any T-shirts. Each time, they say they have none.

The "resort" is a joke, besides the location itself. If your going to visit here, its nice to stop in. I wouldn't plan a trip from far away JUST to go to the Surf Camp. You will be greatly disappointed.

I would suggest Boracay Island. It is by far the best resort and travel experience I have had in the Philippines..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Nanchang, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I had high expectations from the reviews and was very disappointed. First of all, the hotel is a 3 hour drive from Tacloban airport at a cost of 8000 php /round trip. It literally is in the middle of nowhere. The only restaurant is an Andok's across the street (fast food chicken which actually is not bad). The hotel is quite outdated. The pool was small and dirty. It is on the ocean but has little to no beach. There is reef everywhere and is a little dangerous to swim. I was told there are sea urchins. Surfing was actually pretty fun but had to be careful of the reef. The staff was quite polite. The restaurant food was average to poor. Absolutely no internet. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tacloban City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

the resort is nature at its best...serene despite the loud sounds of waves and winds. me and my friends enjoy the place...it's a nice place to break from the work. the resort offer swim wear, surf suit and souvenirs for sale. the resort facilities are excellent...it's nice to be back -- this time with my family

Room Tip: rooms beach front are nice to enjoy nature at its best
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

One February 24 2012 My wife and I had our wedding and reception at the Calicoan Surf Club. The staff and manager, Danny, made our day perfect. The food and service was excellent.The surronding are beaitifull and well kept Our private cottage was perfect and the infinity pool by the ocean made it a wonderfull experience!

Room Tip: You cant go wrong there all good
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Quezon City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I love the place. But getting there takes a long ride and a bumpy ride at some point. The resort is good. Food is good, but you need to order before hand. Food may take a while. Resort staff was okay. Room was great. Beach and infinity pool (it is salty) is average. The price looks reasonable. To make it more memorable. Grab a surf board and ride the waves. I had my lessons here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I have been to most of the better resorts in the region and this is by far the best in its class. The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated. The bathrooms are well equipped with separate toilet and bath. They have reading nooks by the floor, by the window and outside every cottage that it is almost impossible not to sink yourself in a good book. The infinity pool is inviting and the lounge area beside it promises a relaxing experience under the gentle sway of the plants which serve as protection from the sun. We went during the holy week and when the moon came out, it was such a breathtaking sight, we couldnt help but bask under the night light and gaze at the stars for a while.
The waves of the sea will also lull you to sleep, and its good to know that they have several lounge areas for short naps.They have a well manicured garden with colorful flowers, you would think it was your own little piece of paradise.
The staff are quick to respond to request and were always willing to help. The manager was very accommodating and engaging. The food was delicious although limited. For a resort, the prices were surprisingly lower than expected but the servings were relatively small too.
The resort has no direct access to the beach, but I didnt mind as the view of the ocean was good enough for me. The whole experience definitely takes your mind away from the real world and makes you relax and unwind.

The only hitch about this resort is the travel time and the 30 min stretch of rough road that you will need to go through. I hope the local government does something about that.

Room Tip: try getting a cottage nearer to the pool
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Luzon, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I actually got to go to Calicoan Surf Camp 2 years back (November 2009), but since I joined TripAdvisor just recently, I'm only reviewing it now.

Went to the place for merienda (snacks) on our way back to our real "hotel" (Jasmin Resort in Marabut) from our rounds of the local fishing villages. We got to tour the place a bit and relax in their dining hall.

The place was truly picture perfect. There was no guests in sight then apart from us.

The merienda, which was just pansit washed down with canned softdrinks), took a really long time getting to our table. In fairness to the cook, our arrival was unannounced and we were a crowd (If I remember right there were more than 20 of us).

I can't say enough about the beauty of the place though. The public comfort rooms were also very clean, just like the rest of the surroundings.

A real downside to the place is its location, which is just too remote. Getting there is a huge hassle, whether you go via Tacloban Airport or Catarman Airport (Northern Samar). Once you get there though, you won't feel like leaving (because the travel time is just so long!)

I asked about the the rates and (again it was a long time so I'm not sure what the rates are now) it was not too expensive (about Php 6000). Next time I do go to Guiuan on a real vacation, I plan on booking that place for our family.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Calicoan Surf Camp? Share your experiences!