This is not the typical review since we were marina guests.
We sailed to Roatan from Miami with the marina of Barefoot Cay as our first port of call. After 5 days at sea, land arose, we turned right between Guanaja and Roatan and followed to the coast toward the marina. Realizing that none of the smaller channels are well marked, we called Barefoot Cay. Stephanie responded and sent out a boat to guide us in, which "Chalupa" did perfectly. When we entered the area of the property, two people were already on the dock to help us tie up.
We needed laundry service, and although it was in the middle of the afternoon, the "laundry ladies" as we called them brought everything back folded perfectly just a couple of hours later; they stayed extra time to finish the job.
That set the tone for a wonderful 8 days in a small but perfect marina with beautiful docks, a couple of very protected slips and great water and electric hookup. The service was impeccable: after morning outings/dives, we would spend most afternoons at the beautiful pool and were waited on hand and foot. While we stayed on our boat and did not use the villas, we did find that the bathrooms/showers by the pool were perfectly kept. We had dinner in the restaurant twice - very good food lovingly and beautifully prepared and presented. There are two seatings, and menu offers good variety and choice. One forgets easily that one is on a small island with limited agricultural resources. (We have done a lot of sailing in the various Caribbean island; hard to find this quality of food). They also have an excellent wine list.
To get off the Cay, one takes a little shuttle boat across the waterway to leads up into French Harbor. On the main island, there is the dive shop and above it, additional guest rooms. Although we did not use their diving equipment or tours (we have our own and used our own dinghi to get to any of the unbelievably near dive spots) we were all impressed with the facility. Whoever designed the place deserves an award. Aside from the esthetics, every dive boat returning home had a lot of happy and excited faces on it.
I had the chance to watch some diving classes by the gazebo that sits right ontop of an inner reef. Very thorough. Plus, the spot is perfect of easy snorkeling and the gazebo for total R&R.
The grounds - there are lovely little spots all over the couple of acres (more or less) where guests find a hammock, or some chaises, or a set up of Adirondack chairs with some tables under a trellis. If one wants to have dinner in one of those delightful little spots - the staff accommodates you with candles, firepots or anything you could possibly desire.
Since Barefoot Cay is separated from the main island by about 100 feet, there is a sense of closeness to the real life of the surrounding harbor. Just adjacent to the Diveshop is a dock with a couple of cargo vessels tied up by a beverage plant. However, they only leave periodically. The channel towards the east that leads to French Harbor is too shallow to accommodate the cargo ships, so the only traffic are leisure craft or small boats. In other words, it is very peaceful while still giving you the idea of being part of the real world.
Finally - the official greeter, Chacarron. He is a Yellownaped Amazon Parrot who charms everyone. We all miss his "Hello" and we all 7 of us want to return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boutique resort includes a private cay and 9 luxury accommodations with your choice of beachfront or ocean views. This unique Caribbean retreat pampers guests with first-class amenities and absolutely outstanding service. Onsite PADI 5 Star Dive Center spoils divers with valet diving, customized itineraries, patient & friendly instructors, and incredible dive sites just minutes away. The resort features a swimming pool, gourmet dining, and spa services. All accommodations have air conditioning, high-speed internet, TV/CD/DVD, Heavenly Beds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Barefoot Cay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barefoot Cay Roatan, Honduras
- Barefoot Cay Hotel Roatan