We had a wonderful time at Barefoot.... the first thing I'll say is that it was just me and my wife and we don't have kids, heck..I'll just say it... we don't really even like kids! So a big positive for us is that it was ALL adults here... actual, adult, conversation over the entire Island. No screaming children in the pool!
I can't imagine that it would be a good place for kids cause there is just not much to do but hang out... it is not "exciting" there.
We stayed on the island... it is much quieter there and we are glad we were on that side. The dive shop is pretty loud although the rooms above it looked nice. We had a partial villa and LOVED the kitchen and living room, and table and chairs on the porch. Definitely better than just having a room.
We are actually not divers so we basically had the place to ourselves during the day when everyone was out diving.
You need to go to the Palapa to swim as its not great swimming right outside your villa... but the swimming around the palapa is great and the little walk is easy. If you want to snorkel you can get gear for your whole stay, and the quality of the gear is quite good. You can snorkel the inner reef area right off the palapa - it's not the best snorkeling we've ever seen but it was clear on most days and we saw a variety of fish, rays and eels that made it interesting. One woman saw an octopus while snorkeling there.
The food is great, although we cooked a lot of our own, it is clean and all the people are very nice. The staff was excellent, they genuinely wanted to help and keep us happy. They were certainly not going through the motions (as we've experienced elsewhere), they were actually interested in us and our well-being.
We each got a massage at the spa and they were the most unique massages we've ever had. My wife is a massage therapist and has had many massages from a variety of people, and she said that although it wasn't bad, hers was the opposite of gentle touch - not that it was too deep or anything, it was just very vigorous and not given with a gentle, caring touch. They were effective though, we both felt better after the massages.
We wouldn't recommend this place to families with small kids but would recommend it to folks like us who enjoy a quite stay and the company of adults.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boutique resort includes a private cay and 9 luxury accommodations with your choice of beachfront or ocean views. This unique Caribbean retreat pampers guests with first-class amenities and absolutely outstanding service. Onsite PADI 5 Star Dive Center spoils divers with valet diving, customized itineraries, patient & friendly instructors, and incredible dive sites just minutes away. The resort features a swimming pool, gourmet dining, and spa services. All accommodations have air conditioning, high-speed internet, TV/CD/DVD, Heavenly Beds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Barefoot Cay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barefoot Cay Roatan, Honduras
- Barefoot Cay Hotel Roatan