“Dive, Dive, Dive Coco View” 4 of 5 stars
Review of CoCo View Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in French Harbour
CoCo View Resort
You added CoCo View Resort to your Saves list
French Harbour, Honduras   |
Special Offer
LOW Value Season Rates
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Greenville, SC
“Dive, Dive, Dive Coco View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

The Good:
·Diving – Outstanding Dive Operation
·Food
·Botanical Garden

The Bad:
·Bugs
·No Beach
·Resort Entertainment
·Honduras Customs (Inbound)

The Diving:

This is what you come to Coco View for! During the week, I managed about 26 dives. Most days were a 2-tank morning, and 2-tank afternoon dive. Each usually consisted initially of a different site, then a drop off dive outside the Resort at either Coco View Wall, or Newman’s wall.

The dive operation is first rate, and highly professional. From the layout of the gear lockers, to the dive boats and boat crews (Divemaster and Captain) things are designed with the serious diver in mind. It is a well-oiled machine that offers the best value for the diver, and 24/7 diving is available with shore diving and Nitrox continuously available.

Marine life is abundant, including sighting of Whale Sharks, Dolphin, Seahorses, a variety of crabs, shrimp, squid, octopus, and a wide assortment of Caribbean Fish. A small assortment of some of the marine life is included in my pictures.

Typical depth was in the 60 to 80 foot range, with dives lasting about 60 minutes in many cases. Diving is varied, and can offer challenging conditions and depths in excess of 100’ for the more advanced divers. 32% Nitrox is available (and plentiful) for $6 per tank, or $100 for the week.

The Resort:

The Resort is situated on a private island about 15 minute ride from the airport. The Resort arranged transportation/transfer, and they took care off the luggage and delivered to your room. After transport, you take a private boat to the island, and begin orientation briefing, which lasted about an hour. After that, we conducted a short orientation dive in the “front yard”, and the wreck of the Prince Albert.

The rooms were basic, but clean. We had an over-water Cabana that was basically a large open wood-trimmed room, with a private porch overlooking the Caribbean. Other rooms were similar in layout, but different in location. Since our room was booked as part of a group package, I am not sure of the specific rates for the different locations (Bungalow’s, Cabana’s, vs., Ocean View Rooms) but in general I do not think you can go wrong with any of them. Maid service was daily, with a change of sheets mid-week.

The resort also has wireless Internet in the “Clubhouse”, and also 2 computers with Internet access located near the health spa. The made it easy to keep in touch with the world, although I specifically did not bring my laptop to get away!

The Food:

I would rate the food at the Resort very good. While not gourmet, the food was fresh and well prepared. Breakfast was eggs to order, fresh made waffles, and sausage and bacon with plenty of fresh fruit, and dinner was generally healthy meat with local side dishes.

One of the nights we had an island cookout with ribs and chicken, and another night was Lobster and prime Rib. The menu is fairly varied, and should suit even the most demanding diets. My wife and I went to a local restaurant (Gio’s), and while this was good, I would rate the resort Lobster dinner better. If you go to Gio’s, try something other than Lobster since you will bet this at the Resort. Dinner at Gio’s ended costing my wife and I about $50.00 each.

The Island:

I would recommend the Island tour on Friday Afternoon. My wife and I took this, and it consisted to the Iguana Farm, the Botanical Garden (very good), and a trip to West End. I would recommend this to get a better sense of the Local Island and culture. You will find that the island in general is poor, with many dirt streets and a low level of services available. This is stark contrast to the outstanding natural beauty of the island both above and below the water.

Conclusion:

If you love to dive, dive, dive - this is the place for you. If not, look elsewhere on the island. There is not much else to do since you are pretty well island-locked. The diving is outstanding, and I would consider this an excellent value for the Money.

• Liked — Diving
  • Disliked — Bugs
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

If you don't dive don't come!that should be a given.there is absolutely nothing else to do but that which is fine for my dad and i since we did at least 3 dives every day for 6 days.all of that would have been fine if the diving was any good.the eastern side of roatan is not in protected waters where as the western is.which is one reason why the western side has turtles and the eastern side does not.while we were there the clarity was bad for the carribean staying in the 50ft range as the best we saw.roatan might if been great 8 or more years back but i think fishing has taken just about everything from the water leaving not much marine life to see which is why just about everything,esspecially the eels, swim or hide away from the divers leaving diving not very fun.coco view boasts about there front yard with there two walls and there boat wreck and there plane.but on all those theres almost nothing to see.yah occasionally u might see a sea horse or a pipe fish but thats rare.of coarse theres a few good dives like the shark dive and the west in trip that coco view allows you to do but after that,thats it.we came there expecting to be able to do the utila trip like the web site says and the booking agents for coco view assured us we woul be able to do but of coarse that was false advertising and was not offered. the food is just alright for the most part.the people are very nice though and deserved to be well tipped.Overall i would not return to roatan on a whole i'd maybe only consider going to utila to see the whale sharks and then leave.

• Liked — How easy and laid back it was to
  • Disliked — The bad diving and false advertising.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

Spent a week in paradise at Coco View. Accomodations are rustic but certainly clean and comfortable. We stayed in a beach house (overflow since the rooms were booked) and had the better deal in my opinion.
Waterfront 2-bedroom/2bath house with enclosed patio and open deck on the water. Total privacy, quiet and relaxing. We rode bikes back and forth to the property, which was a hoot, especially after a few drinks at the bar.
Skinny dipping at night in front of our house was my favorite.
Everyone at the resort was friendly and gracious. Food was above average but nothing gourmet. Buffet-style meals included lobster, shrimp, conch and other standard fare. Salad bar every lunch and dinner. Made to order omelets were fabulous in the morning.
Oh, did you want to hear about diving? All I can say is WOW. Pristine reefs, more corals, sponges and fish in every color than I could imagine. Dive staff were outstanding and made everything super easy. They load your equipment (including two tanks) on the boats twice daily, and you can easily dive 4 to 5 times a day. Unlimited beach diving and you are allowed to dive your own profile most boat dives too. Snorkeling in front of the resort on Coco View wall is incredible. This place is a divers' delight, but very quiet and peaceful so don't go for the nightlife.
We played ping pong, darts, and danced a few nights when entertainment came in. The West end is where the hot night life happens, about 45 mintues away.
I logged 18 dives in the week and as a novice with only 12 beforehand was esctatic. My partner who has well over 250 dives was also very happy with the conditions.
We took a shark dive with an outside operation which was interesting.
Everyone talks about the bugs (sand fleas) but I came home unscathed. My partner had a few bites and complained of itching.
All I can say is Roatan is wonderful as it is, very underdeveloped, and it's sad to see all the new construction which will change the face of the island in years to come.

• Liked — Quiet, Privacy, Views
  • Disliked — older and could use some updating
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2007

I have just returned from my 4th stay at CoCo View. I lead snorkel groups to Roatan and we always stay at CoCo View. It is perfect for both snorkeling and diving. Great beach access to some of the best reefs and walls on the island. Even though there is a "Paper" marine park on the Westside of the island the lack of enforcement and oversight, combined with heavier usage means that the real marine park is just in front and adjacent to CoCo View.

Starting with the basics, this is an all-inclusive lodge. I would suggest spending a little extra and getting one of the overwater rooms. They are more spacious, offer more of a breeze on warm nights, and have a few more amenities (small fridge). But remember you will be spending most of your time in the water anyway.

Meals are plentiful and buffet style, most diets can be accommodated, except strict vegetarians who may have slight difficulties at some meals. Meals are not gourmet by any standard but are hearty and have wide variety, including fresh fish and salads at every dinner. Given that the majority of the guests our presumably interested in marine conservation it is a bit unfortunate that two of the dinners were shrimp dishes (one of the most marine destructive foods you can eat) but maybe if more people provide feedback that will change.

The staff is extremely helpful and will make sure any need is addressed. Dive and snorkel sites are abundant and both can happen in almost any weather condition. Some particularly good snorkel sites are Gold Chain reef, French Caye, and Neverstain Bight.

There is a TV and DVD available for presentations and most of the time free wireless is functioning for those with their own computer. Others can vie for the two free of charge guest computers in the "Fitness Center".

This is a great place to stay, reasonable, comfortable, and set up to maximize your time in the water either snorkeling or diving. You can take a day tour to the other side of the island just to confirm that you are not missing out on anything!

They also have houses for rent if you want to be more self-sufficient.

• Liked — Great snorkeling and diving right out your hammock
  • Disliked — Shrimp meals not very environmentally concious
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2007

This is truely a camp for divers. We had the best time. The staff goes out of their way to make you at home. From the time our plane landed in Roatan we never lifted a finger. Bags were delivered to our beach house. Our dive equipment was picked up and taken to our locker for the week. Every morning our gear was assembled and placed on the boat waiting for us. The food was great. We ate steak, lobster tails, shrimp, spagetti, everything was very good. The beach house was very nice. We did not have air conditioning however, which was fine in January, but we are returning in June and requested a house with air conditioning as I assume it may be a little warmer. The diving is great and so easy litterally just a few steps out to two walls in the front yard. We enjoyed all of the boat dives. Mostly wall diving but it was great. We even went into town for dinner one night it was very good food and again friendly people. Overall it was just fantastic we can't wait to return in June and this time we will be taking 10 of our friends with us.

• Liked — We had a two bedroom house for just the two of us. Great after a long day diving.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pasadena, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2006

I spent Thanksgiving week over at CoCo View Resort Roatan, Honduras. I was impressed throughout my stay. The dive operation was superb, the staff friendly and helpful, the food abundant and good, and clean living quarters.

CoCo View caters to the diver. If you are not a diver this may feel like you have been stranded on a deserted island. A majority of the quests dive and there are only a few extracurricular activities that you can do, but you have to take a boat or a bus to get to them.

I am a beginning diver and thought of this trip as an opportunity to improve my skills as a diver. I feel that I have experienced every type of condition during my stay…poor visibility, good visibility, rain, wind, warm water, cold water, etc. There are 2 two tank boat dives a day with a divemaster and unlimited shore diving. The “Frontyard” at CoCo View offers two reef walls, the Prince Albert wreck, and a DC3 wreck. However, after rain the visibility of the shore dives suffered.

The Dockside Dive Shop offers everything you need to dive and gives you an opportunity to take classes to improve your scuba knowledge base. We took a navigation course which was extremely helpful when visibility is low on a night dive!! Our instructor was very knowledgeable and made the class a worthwhile experience. The store also had warm winter coats for sale which made the cold and windy surface intervals tolerable.

Overall, I would highly recommend CoCo View for the serious diver. You will have a good time, meet great people, and become a better diver.

• Stayed October 2006
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2006

I just returned from November 18th through the 25th at CoCo View Resort. First, to add credibility to the review, I have traveled worldwide and have stayed in some of the best and least attractive hotels the world has to offer. I was skeptical coming down here. I am only an intermediate diver, I am a very picky eater, and I hate bugs. But…I wanted to dive. And dive I did. For the week, I did 26 dives. That is on average over 4 dives per day. That is a lot of dives when you are doing repetitive diving.

So, because the resort was sold out, I stayed in a beach house as “overflow.” The accommodations were very clean. There we no issues with that at all. Each room has a 5 gallon jug of water with a dispenser. It worked out great. The food was good as well. I did not find it bland. It was like I would eat at home every night. It was not gourmet, but ask yourself, do you really want to sit down for a gourmet meal after a full day of diving? If you are scratching your head, let me give you the answer….No! In fact, you mentally weigh the tradeoffs and benefits of skipping the meal and going straight to bed. Entertainment at night revolved around the bar. CoCo has a good selection at reasonable prices. Again, no one complained.

The dive operations was first rate. Upon arrival, resort staff picked up your gear from your room and took it to the dive shop. You would get your weights and choose a spacious dive locker. Then, you were good to go. Each morning, the staff would have all of your gear on your assigned boat, assembled, and ready to go. The resort was sold out and with that, only 10 -15 people per boat and only one boat per dive site. Shore diving was easy. Not as easy as they advertise (anytime you need to walk 200 feet with tanks and weights….it’s not easy), but easy nonetheless. There are two reefs, one wreck, and one broken up DC 3 all off shore. The DC 3 is not intact and, at least for me, if someone had not told me it was a plane, I would not have known it was a plane. That said, shore diving was two thumbs up.

Another benefit was that the clubhouse had free wireless internet. And, it was high speed.

The only downside was the weather. It rained most of the week I was there. It did affect the trip. I had a 5 minute walk from the beach house to the dive shop/clubhouse. Because of the large amount of rain and large water puddles, over a couple of days, I ended up with several large blisters. Once the rained stopped, the puddles dried but the blisters did not go away.

One other thing, if you don’t dive, this is not the place. Unless you really need nothing to do for a week. But, I think that would be the case for any of the hotels down here. There is really no town, no nightlife, etc. It does not matter where you stay in Roatan, if you are a non diver, you will be stranded.

• Stayed November 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near French Harbour
Anthony's Key Resort
Anthony's Key Resort
#3 of 4 in Sandy Bay
4.5 of 5 stars 685 reviews

Been to CoCo View Resort? Share your experiences!