“Liveaboard on Land” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CoCo View Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in French Harbour
CoCo View Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
US
“Liveaboard on Land”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

Summer camp for divers, a liveaboard on land - I'd heard all of the descriptions but until I actually went to Coco View, I didn't really understand why it was the resort with the most repeat visitors I'd ever heard of. Put it this way - before I finished my first week there, I'd already signed up for a return trip the following year.

I met my friends at the Houston airport - we'd come from all over the country to head to Coco View. Most of the group were repeat visitors - only a few of us were newbies. The trip to Roatan is only 2 hours - very, very quick. And you're met in the airport by Nora, who knows every repeat visitor by name and gives you a "Welcome home!" - and for some reason, it doesn't seem "kitschy" at all - it just seems very real. She takes care of everything for you - just point out your luggage on the carousel and it will magically appear next in your room. All you'll need to do is go through security and into the air-conditioned bus. When everyone's arrived, you'll be whisked off to the CCV dock, where a quick (3 minutes at most?) boat trip will put you at the CCV docks. Just follow the crowd and you'll have your key to your room in hand and time to unpack, relax and get on CCV time. If you're a repeat visitor, you can start diving right away. Newbies have to wait until they have an orientation/checkout dive the next morning.

Accomodations - Our group had all of the bungalows over the water. Ours was sparkling clean with room for hanging clothes and plenty of shelves - very little drawer space, however. But then again, you won't need a lot of clothes - just bring a bunch of bathing suits, a pair of shorts and a couple of T-shirts. Casual is the theme at CCV.

Food - If you're a gourmet foodie, you're probably not going to be excited. However, if you appreciate good, comforting, homecooked food and plenty of it, you'll do just fine. I have some food issues I have to eat around and had no trouble whatsoever doing that. The ladies in the kitchen are wonderful and friendly and always willing to help out in whatever way they can. I would say that I ate as well as I have on most liveaboards at CCV and I never had a meal where there wasn't something I thought was wonderful.

Diving - I just loved it. As an u/w photographer, I could've dived it for a month and still have had a blast. You can dive the two walls right in the front yard at pretty much any depth and have a very different dive each time. And the Prince Albert wreck has different things on it every time you look - so it was always a bit different each time I dove it. And that was just what was available as shore dives! The boat dives we did never disappointed - from Calvin's Crack to Mary's Place, each one was special in its own way. We didn't see a lot of big animals, but every DM was amazing at knowing where all of the cool little stuff was - seahorses galore, pipefish, eels, turtles, nudibranchs, you name it! I got some amazing photos. The dive briefings are superb and the boats are really diver-friendly for exits and entries. If you get bored here, you'll get bored diving anywhere.

Bar - When you're done diving for the day, try a Monkey-lala - OMG. Or a Rum Punch. Yowza! The drinks are actually very reasonably priced. Your drinks will be put on a tab for you to settle when you check out. I found a great place to enjoy the sunset it from the hammocks or chairs on the veranda upstairs at the clubhouse, with a rum punch in hand...ahhh...

Shopping - Each day, one of the locals brings his/her handiwork to the resort and sets up a table outside the clubhouse. This is by no means a high-pressure sales pitch kind of thing! But there are some really lovely handicrafts you may want to buy. Try to bring cash for this - smaller bills are better than larger ones. You'll find everything from inexpensive T-shirts and jewelry to intricate and expensive carved art pieces.

Entertainment - There's always the several parrots and macaws that need to learn new phrases (if one says "Bite me" that'll be because of me ;-), the dog and the little orange cat - plus there's a wonderful wall of paperback books - bring one, take one. There's a big-screen TV upstairs in the clubhouse if you absolutely feel the need and 2 computers downstairs. Plus some board games and my personal favorites, the hammocks. At night, some of the locals come by to do some amazing entertainment - from fire dancing to local native dances, there's plenty of entertainment if just sitting and talking to your friends and watching the bajillion stars doesn't do it for you.

Bugs - Yes, there are no-see-ums. Consider yourself warned. I used Cactus Juice (available online or at the store at CCV) and got maybe 3 bites. But it doesn't work for everyone. If you're really worried, you can use a DEET-containing product - but please save that for after you're done diving for the day. It also helps to keep out of the sand, as the no-see-ums tend to live in the sand. I was there in late June and the only place I saw mosquitos was on the quay where they have the BBQs - a little bug spray should take care of it.

Fees - Remember that your bar tab isn't included - you will also be charged for the optional $2/day chamber fee - you *can* have that removed (but why would you?). If you used nitrox during the week and didn't pay for the whole week it's $7/tank extra (IIRC). And you'll most definitely want to tip - both the boat crew ('cause they work their butts off :-) and the rest of the support staff (cooks, housekeepers, groundskeepers, etc, - tips are pooled and split - and take some time to look around at the gardens - they really are well done). Try to bring enough cash to cover these costs, as your fees will be discounted for cash - credit cards cost significantly more for them to process, so they pass that on to the consumer. Cash works best (and US dollars are fine).

So - this is a diver's vacation - it's about as low-key as it gets, but the diving is fabulous. Eat, sleep, dive, repeat. This is my kind of vacation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

They really make everything easy for you at Coco View. Dive boat are very easy access. All your gear is on the boat and ready to go when you get there after breakfast. The boat crew is awesome, and they strive to show you everything you want to see. I did 23 dives during my one week stay. We did a dawn dive, a night dive, and all possible boat dives. The beach house we stayed in was kept very clean and tidy. The food was very good. If you go hungry at Coco View, it's your own fault. Rebecca and her kitchen staff do a fine job of satisfying a large group. The dive shop is very helpful and knowledgable. The whole staff really makes you feel at home. It was my second trip there, but surely won't be my last.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

I have been diving for 27 years now and have been to most of the places in the Caribbean. But after going to CoCo View the first time in 2006, I have not gone anywhere else for a dive vacation. Prior to this Grand Cayman was the only place I have gone back to. I've gone back to Grand Cayman 3 times, but each time was 10 years apart. Since discovering CoCo View I now go there each year if possible. I went back in 2007. Did not get to take a dive vacation in 2008, then went back in 2009 and plan to go this summer.

The other reviews are all accurate. And there are a few more spectacular dives to be had around the Caribbean. But if you just want to go somewhere and dive as much as you can and do it with the least possible hassle, nothing tops CoCo View in my experience. Bonaire is also a very relaxing place to dive, but it definitely comes in 2nd to CoCo View!

I totally agree with the other comments about Eddie, Jorge, etc., the dive shop, and the photographic services!

Every diver friend I have has heard about CoCo View from me!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

We spent a week in Roatan at Coco View Resort for a spring break dive trip. We stayed in an over-water cabana and absolutely loved it. There's a private lanai facing the ocean with an entire wall of windows so you have a 24 hour view of the ocean. Our room was very clean, it had a small fridge and coffee maker, and lots of hot water for showers. We were extremely impressed by the staff, the dive operation, and thought the food was very good all week. People have described Coco View as an adult camp, and I have to admit that it reminded me of the best days I spent at summer camp as a kid!

We've been diving in many places around the Caribbean, including Belize and Bonaire, and felt that Roatan's diving paled in comparison. Although we were treated to some great critter sightings, there seemed to be a lack of marine life that we're used to seeing in other parts of the Caribbean. It reminded us of the areas in the Bahamas that are overfished, though I can't say that's the problem on Roatan. However, the hard corals, Gorgonians, sea fans, and sponges were spectacular and in mostly excellent condition at all the dive sites.

All in all we had amazing service from start to finish, including our boat crew. Our dive guide (Eddie) was outstanding, Jorge our captain was excellent, and we really have zero complaints about our trip.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

An excellent resort for divers/snorkelers and those that just enjoy some R & R time.
Mitch & Debbie are superb managers. Nora was great as our tour guide. The dive shop is very friendly and helpful in all needs.
Security is tops! We never locked our doors and if you left something out, it was there when you returned.
Meals were very good. Nice gift shop with basic needs, The Hitching Post had good snacks/food during the day...including ice cream.
Jessie, dive master on Coco II, the blue boat was great for his dive leads. Ruben, the boat captain, was excellent to get us to and fro.
Boat dive and a drop off dive in the morning and again in the afternoon. Unlimited shore diving 24 hours a day. Nice wreck dive in the 'front yard' at 60 feet.
Wall dives and coral head dives.
Be sure to go to Docs presentation about the geological/biological of Roatan and to Tim's superb presentation about underwater photography.
Cabana #1 is nice for the sunsets!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

There isn't much I can add to all these great reviews, but I did want to put in a good word for the Beach Houses which are all a short (3-5 minute) bike ride from the main resort (they provide the bikes). I had been worred that we might feel "left out" staying at one of the beach houses, but I was very much wrong!

We had a two bedroom/two bath house with full kitchen and living area right one the beach and it cost less than getting two rooms at Coco View. Our house (#8) was comfy, roomy, convenient and charming. The cleaning ladies were wonderful and I just can't say enough good things about the management.

This is a VERY well-run dive resort. I know some people feel disappointed that there aren't more fish or that some of the coral is a bit beat-up, but there is plenty to see and experience! I think that for Caribbean diving, accessibility and cost--this is a great deal!

I cannot imagine being there if you aren't a diver or a snorkeler, though,

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

We docked at the new port on our cruise and took the taxi to Cocoview.

What a nice change of pace from the cruise. No one else from the ship went and since it's a fairly small resort it is very quiet.

2 of us did the wall and shipwreck dives and the other 4 snorkeled. of our 4 snorkeled/diving stops (Belize, Grand Caymna, Cozumel).

Beer is cheap!

Anthony's Key Resort
Anthony's Key Resort
#3 of 4 in Sandy Bay
4.5 of 5 stars 682 reviews

Been to CoCo View Resort? Share your experiences!