“Dive! Dive! Dive!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CoCo View Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in French Harbour
CoCo View Resort
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tyler, Texas, United States
“Dive! Dive! Dive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Southern cooking! Great full service dive resort. If you like diving, this is the best place in the Bay Islands. The staff makes the trip very easy from getting you from the airport to getting you in the water.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We just returned from a PERFECT stay at CoCo View. My husband and I went and stayed for the entire week and didn't want to leave. As soon as we arrived the staff made us feel extremely welcome. They had everything setup and ready to go...EVEN lunch :) I was a little timid of the luggage process on the island - you have a colored coded luggage tag that tells the airport personnel which resort the luggage belongs to and they do all the work. Next thing you know your luggage is right outside your door! This was our first trip to Roatan and Coco View so we had a lot of activities planned such as ziplining, horseback riding, snorkeling with dolphins, and a tour of the island. All of which we did not have to worry about transportation as CoCo View set that up...yes that came with a cost/tip, but it was WELL worth it! If you are on here, reading reviews, you know CoCo View is known for their diving. Because our vacation was a last minute plan my husband and I did not have time to get certified, but we didn't see that as a huge deal because of the Adventure Scuba program they offer right at the resort. It was a good thing, because come to find out...diving really isn't my thing :) My husband, on the other hand, LOVED it! And it was great because after he did the first intro course he was able to do more dives. The only thing is the depth you are allowed to go is obviously not as much as a certified diver and also you have to go on each dive with a dive master which he was really happy about. He had never done it before so its comforting knowing someone will be by you making sure things are going okay. So you might be thinking...what the heck did I do the whole time? I had a BLAST doing so many other things. One of our biggest reasons for the vacation was to relax. We both work a lot and needed that time to de-stress and I had NO problem doing that at CoCo View. As I stated earlier in the review we snorkeled with dolphins, zip lined, rode horses, and did an island tour. Besides this we snorkeled A LOT! You didn't have to go far to see a TON of things, but if you wanted more of an adventure you were welcomed on the dive boats everyday to snorkel the sites the divers went to. The hammocks were my favorite place to wind a long sun/beach-filled day. I recommend this resort to any couples who haven't dove before, but have an interest, because just like myself if you find one of you being the non-diving type you we still be able to enjoy a vacation together!

Room Tip: We stayed in an oceanfront room and the air worked wonders! We were able to keep it off during the d...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco Peninsula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

This is our 4th visit, and from the start you are made to feel at home.
There is unlimited diving, w 2 boat dives, 2 drop off dives and all the shore diving you can stand, any time. The dive masters are all excellent, the dive boats are perfect, and the operation is all about customer service. Your gear is set up for you, problems or concerns are taken seriously and solved effectively. In addition to the many boat dive accessible sites, right in front of the property there are 2 reefs, a sunken ship and the remains of a sunken airplane, all w abundant life, very close at hand. Today, for example, our divemaster showed us 2 sea horses, a pipefish, a cow fish, and lots of other stuff. There is an on site dive shop that is very helpful. In addition, there are several training opportunities, from open water cert to dive instructor. There are research interns and fish ID experts who are here in July to contribute to an annual fish count. They also give some talks and are always around for emergency fish ID help. For all the diving offered, it's a great value. We haven't been able to find a better one.
The rooms are a bit rustic, but truly charming - something between summer camp and a hotel. The food varies, but is always abundant and no concerns about tourista. Lunch today was green salad, taco bar, tortilla soup (yum!), fresh pineapple and cake. Dinner offered fish (not their best dish...) and a pork loin, veggies, jazzed up rice, homemade bread, and a too good chocolate cake w caramel frosting.
Airport transfers are included. We are met at the airport, our luggage is collected and delivered to our rooms, and we are transported on a bus. The final step is a short boat ride to the resort. The benefit of the boat ride is that it is difficult for anyone who doesn't belong here to get here, and most people leave their rooms unlocked, although there is a lock box in your room (bolted down) and a room key.
Disadvantages: little bugs, no seeums, can be a drag. They bite. We use DEET. The resort is somewhat isolated, so getting to the West End takes some effort and money. It is easy to be here all of the time, but if you want to go somewhere else on your own, it isn't set up for that. (There are some optional tours and activities : dinner at a local restaurant, an Island tour that includes the West End, zip lining). We plan on taking a cab, which they will arrange for you, to West End our day before we leave (so we can't dive anyway) and that will cost $60 round trip. Because this is a fairly isolated dive resort, not being a diver here would drive me nuts. You can snorkel, and there is lots to see from on top, but not a lot else to do.
Right now it is 9:30 pm, and we are sitting in lounge chairs on a wood platform (w a walkway) surrounded by water. There is a gentle breeze (feels good, and no bugs).

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This resort was set up as a Divers Paradise. If you SCUBA, this is the place for you. No TV, No phone in your room, just a wonderful view of the "Front Yard". The resort runs like a well oiled machine. They have thought of everything to make diving as easy as possible. As close to a live aboard as you can get with your own room on land. The food was amazing, the staff friendly including the Dive Master and Boat Captain. The mattresses were comfortable and the rooms were clean. IF you are looking for fancy, this is not the place. If you are looking to dive some beautiful walls and see do some shore diving, this is the place. Not a place for small children as they can't dive. Enjoy.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are nice, the Bungalows are on the water literally. But all of the rooms would be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just to be clear... CocoView is for divers. If you are looking for a pool and bikinis, this isn't the place. But for divers...

This is the place for you. It is a dive facility without pretension. Divers will feel completely at home from the moment they arrive at the airport where Miss Nora will greet first timers and 100th timers with the same grace. I highly recommend that you book the trip when Scott and Patti Chandler from Reefnet are in residence. For the first 6 weeks of summer, divers can engage in the "fish hunt" where divers are encouraged to seek and identify 3 of the thousands of fish found in the "front yard" and environs. A great way to learn new fish and dive with "new eyes". Just finished my 11th trip and was sad to leave and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room in the place. The truth is that you will spend so little time in the room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Columbus, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We just finished an awesome week at CoCo View. We loved the place. You may too, but you may not. And as much as we enjoyed our time there, I am not sure we will go back.

CoCo View has no swimming pool, no tennis courts, no televisions, no telephone service, no cellphone service and the lack of railings on the decks and walkways makes it unsuitable for families with children. So I don’t think it would qualify in the mind of most people as a “resort”. These things were not important to us but they may be to you. DO NOT take young children there.

It’s an ideal scuba camp for adult divers. It is rustic, has great tropical appeal and for those who don’t mind making repetitive dives on one site, do not have children in tow and who do not have non-diving spouses or companions, its an excellent dive destination.

CoCo View has a lot of fans, for good reason, and there are so many descriptions of CoCo View on the web, and on this site, that a detailed description of the facility would be redundant. So I am just going to summarize my observations.

PROS:

It’s a beautiful location, right on the water, you can swim out to a great dive site just a few hundred yards from the doorstep. Meals are served buffet style and you can take your plate to the outside deck and dine over the water. My wife saw a spotted eagle ray swim right by our bungalow.

Snorkeling is great. Acres of turtle grass right outside your door.

You can dive your own profile and even dive solo if you want. They let you be a diver. This is an excellent place for new divers or those who want to be certified as you can do so many dives in a short period of time.

The reefs around Roatan are exceptionally healthy. Lots of hard and soft corals and we saw a sea horse or two on almost every dive on the anchored dives.

They have fairly reliable wireless internet for such a remote location. It's slow and drops out a lot but with patience you can stay in touch with the world.

CONS:

The fish population is very low. And there are no big fish at all.

You are expected to do half your dives at what they call their Front Yard site which is a great dive site but not for multiple dives. Their process is to do one anchor dive and one “drop dive” where they drop you on one of two walls where you swim to the wreck in front of the resort and continue on to the beach in front of the resort. They do this twice a day. I am not interested in doing multiple dives on one site, even a good one.

We stayed in Bungalow C. There is no insulation in the building and it was HOT. The fairly new, 24,000 BTU AC unit could not cool it even though it’s only about 500 square feet. You have to vacate your room during the heat of the day. Friends in the other bungalows agreed. Avoid the bungalows during the summer unless you like it on the warm side. They did cool off when the sun went down.

You are required to turn in your passport to the main office when you arrive and you cannot get it back until the end of the week. I don’t like giving up my passport in a foreign country.

The staff was guardedly friendly but not very tolerant. Someone in our party went behind the bar to see what the name of the song playing was and he was threatened with eviction by the manager. He should not have gone behind the bar but that was a little over the top.

Pay by credit card and you will be required to pay a 4% credit card fee plus a 16% sales tax. Cash purchases are not subject to a sales tax. Go figure.

The food was very good about a third of the time, average about a third of the time and mediocre to poor the rest of the time. On our final night the lobster was cold, the corn on the cob was so old that the kernels had started to separate and harden and I threw two baked potatoes away before I found one that was not black inside. Fortunately, a salad bar was always available and that was usually fresh. Other meals during the week ranged from baked and fried chicken, fried and baked fish, steak and chicken fajitas and lots of beans and rice. You won't go hungry but its not "resort" food.

It’s a pretty cool place and I thoroughly enjoyed the week. You will too as long as you know what you are getting into. Its a well equipped scuba camp suitable only for dedicated scuba divers and snorkelers. If I went back to Roatan, I think I would research some of the other options closer to West End.

Room Tip: The bunalows are quite warm during the day.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our son graduated from college in May and we wanted an adventure vacation together before he entered the working world, and through a series of mishaps we ended up at CoCo View. What a stroke of luck! We live in West Palm Beach, Florida where there is spectacular diving, so we were not expecting to be as impressed with the diving as we were. They run two-tank dive trips every morning and afternoon, with the first dive being off the boat with the dive master and the second being a drop-off on one of the walls near the resort. You can easily follow the wall at any depth you wish back to the swim-in for the resort . The dive master does not accompany the drop-off divers, but there is no need, even for relatively inexperienced divers because there were always experienced divers doing the second dive, so you were never alone. There is unlimited shore diving (simply grab a tank and walk a 100 yards or so to the ocean), including night diving, so you can get in as many dives per day as you want! The gear storage facilities were conveniently located a few steps from your boat and the crew had all but your mask, snorkel and fins on the boat and ready to go when it was time to motor away. What is nice is that people are assigned to one of their 5 dive boats for the entire trip, so you get to know your fellow divers well. This made the vacation even more fun, as everyone got along on our boat and judging from the conversations we had back in the bar, this was typical to the other boats as well. CoCo View had a big dive club there during our stay and they arranged special dive outings with their boat captain and master (we did also one day...great fun!).

Our Dive Master was Eddy (Edgardo) and the Captain of our boat (CoCo III) was Jorge. Both were extremely professional, friendly and humorous, and thoroughly knowledgeable about the eco-environment in which we were diving. The dive master was constantly pointing out unusual sea life to enhance our experience on each dive. While everyone liked their crew regardless of the boat to which they were assigned, I am convinced Eddy and Jorge are the best!

The food was plentiful and excellent. Two meats, a variety of vegetables and sides, and omnipresent red beans & rice lunch and dinner. We heard not one complaint about the food from any of the other guests during our 7 days there. I like the fact I lose a few pounds when I went on a long action vacation, but this time I quickly found myself hoping I did not gain weight! The last night they had lobster and steak, and it was impossible not to overeat!

The drinks at the bar were reasonably priced (I don't drink alcohol any more, but the bar staff was friendly and facilitated group interaction) and everyone hung around together after dinner, shooting pool, playing Ping-Pong and just talking about the day's dive. Everyone knew each other, at least by name, by week's end. They had a band playing 4 of the nights we were there, so people got to dance if they had any energy left! What was great is that there was no TV and no cell phone service (unless you purchase service from a South American supplier). They have Wi-Fi and I had no problem getting my laptop hooked up, but it was spotty and slow. However, that just made it easy to put the darned computer away and relax totally unhooked for the entire trip. A welcomed rarity. Even our smart phone addicted 22 year old never missed his devices (but he did like being able to get on the internet at night after his mom & I crashed).

This was one of the best vacations our family has ever taken, and we have had some great ones. One warning; if you are not a diver and can't just veg-out for 7 days with no TV, cell phone and spotty internet, I'd look elsewhere.

All in all, CoCo View is in a spectacular location with perfect facilities for the atmosphere we were looking for in a dive vacation. The value for your vacation dollar is amazing there and I can recommend it without hesitation as a dive vacation spot. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We were in ocean-side 16 & 17, and we were very happy. The property is compact, so there probab...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to CoCo View Resort? Share your experiences!