“Fantastic diving in a full service resort.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of CoCo View Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in French Harbour
CoCo View Resort
You added CoCo View Resort to your Saves list
French Harbour, Honduras   |
Offers & Announcements
LOW Value Season Rates
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Merritt Island, Florida
“Fantastic diving in a full service resort.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The diving is wonderful - lots of critters and interesting formations. Additionally, there were terrific lectures about the area (history, geography, culture, etc.) and the opportunity to take a seminar in buoyancy control which was the best we have had. The head of the dive operation is a nurse but there is also a volunteer nurse who arrives daily during core hours - both were great additions as many people had ear problems and one had a lung issue while we were there. The no see ums were horrid - we jokingly referred to them as the Roatan measles. Remedies were available at the resort but the little bugs were still very annoying!

Room Tip: Ask for an alarm clock and a coffee maker! Our - bungalow had a refrigerator - quite useful!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were told that Coco View was the best place to go and take PADI dive classes. After a 45 minute cab ride we arrived at a very understated dock. Our driver asked them to call Alejandra our contact person for the dive. Less than a minute later here came a small boat with a young lady with a wonderful smile. She pulled up and said "Hi, I'm Alejandra are you Lynn?" and so that set the tone for the next 4 hours of fun at Coco view.
After arriving on the dock she introduced us to Patty Grier the owner of the dive shop at CCV. Also greeting us was Dino the Chiquaqua. It felt so home like. I then filled out my paper work and started the process of getting my Discover Scuba Class. Alejandra was calm, caring and a great teacher. Patty talked to my husband who had been medically disqualified to dive. Patty is a Paramedic and printed out some forms for him to bring home and have a DR. go over with him. Can you say service with a smile.
After my training Alejandra took me out to the "Front Yard" and I dove the wall and shipwreck. I have found my sport! Couldn't have found nicer people to help me Discover Scuba : )
After my dive we went to the bar for a celabratory drink. Very nice area all screened in with a pool table, gift shop, bathrooms and friendly staff.
Thanks Alejandra and Patty : )

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The dive operation is excellent. The boats, gear lockers, and schedule is set up for easy diving and opportunities to conveniently complete multiple dives per day. Can't say enought about the quality of the dive masters and captains. Great crew who really are dedicated to making your dive experience top notch. The food was better then I expected.....the quality of the food was good and the variety of offerings at each meal made was excellent. The rooms are nothing fancy but are well maintained and comfortable. We stayed in the over the water cabanas and they had plenty of space. The hammocks are awesome! Would definitely come back to CoCoView.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

CocoView is a small, isolated resort. When we first arrived, we knew right away that we would not be bothered with cruise ships or the like. The road stops short of the resort as we need to get on a small boat to cross some waters.
I have not seen a place with such an efficient process to get us registered. When leaving the boat, we leave our luggages on the dock and walk to the dining area. Food is waiting for us and we get some briefings on the resort. We are also handed the required paperwork for the diving activities. Our room key is hanging off a wall. No line up, no waiting to get registered… much pleasant. The service is great all around the resort (bar, administration, diving, etc.).
Our gear is stored in very convenient areas that are accessible around the clock. Nitrox analyzers are suspended over a table in the middle of our area. We were assigned a locker, actually, an open space, for the week that is directly on the dock and is very convenient. All we have to do is put a tag showing our intention to dive and the crew will prepare and load our gear on the boat. This cannot be easier. That area belong to us and the group with who we spend the week on the boat (we always use the same boat).
One of the things I enjoyed with the dive operation is that we are treated as “adult”, while we get a safety briefing before each dive and a dive master will accompany us, the resort will allow for various gear configuration and dive styles. I used sidemount rig on several dives (single sidemount and double sidemount). Some weeks prior to our trip, a group of technical rebreather divers we also able to do their technical and deep stuff. Dive sites are beautiful, but I would have liked to see some bigger species. We saw some turtles during the week.
The rooms are comfortable and nice. We used an over the water bungalow. In August, air conditioning is a must and was functioning well. We did notice a damaged pipe outside our room. We mentioned it at the administration office and this was resolved within an hour (was resolved when we came back from breakfast). Quite impressive! The lock box in the room is minimal (in size and in its ability to keep things safe). But being on an isolated resort, we do not feel much risk for anything bad to occur.
The only downside is the quality of the food. While we had enough to get energized, this is in no way a luxury restaurant. This is cafeteria style and the quality of the food is nothing extravagant. Since the resort is so much isolated, it is not possible to get to a restaurant except for the Thursday night when a tour is planned for this purpose.
Non divers may think twice before using this resort… unless they have a lot of books to read and like lying down on chairs. There are not many activities outside of scuba diving and there is no beach (no sandy beach). What they call the beach is a 8-foot wide entry point for a shore dive on leading to the shipwreck and two nice walls.
Overall, we are very satisfied of our week and we would definitively go back to this place. On our boat was a woman that was receiving a bonus stay for being there eight times. There is some sort of a member community for those who go regularly and there are many of those people! May be we will become Coconut members one day.

Room Tip: Wireless internet does not work from every room. Make sure to mention it if this is a criteria for...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
El Cerrito, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Coco View is perfect for hardcore divers, and pretty great for the less hardcore diver too. As a dive resort its pretty structured, but it all works together to give you maximum ease, and maximum dive time.

Reservations are easy as are transfers from and too the Roatan airport. The transportation staff is great and they make certain you (and all your gear) get on the shuttle, then on the boat, and then to your room. The staff will mail you bright CoCo View tags for your luggage...use them. The porters at the airport are great and make certain you have a dollar or two per bag for the tip.

Rooms are comfortable with private bath and water views from the balcony. The over the water bungalows are a nice option and have a little more space. You are provided with ample bottled water for the week. The food is good and filling. Each meal has a couple of options and while the food isn't gourmet its generally well prepared, filling, and pretty easy on the tummy, They have a salad bar at dinner which is a nice touch. The bar is quiet and you won't have a problem getting your drink promptly. No worries about money as they run a tab for you.

The diving. On your first visit you need to do an orientation dive before joining the boats. Don't complain about it...you'll get a chance to get wet plus you'll get a tour of the "front yard" which orients you the two house walls and the Prince Albert wreck as well as a DC-10. On your return visit to CCV you won't need to do the orientation.

The diving couldn't be easier. So many great dive sites within 10-15 minutes and no current. The dive boats are my favorite as they offer 100% shade with tons of fresh air. They have four exit points for divers to facilitate getting everyone in the water, as well as a well and ladder in the center of the hull which can act as an easy exist during rough seas. These boats aren't fast but you're so close to the sites it doesn't matter. No heads or hot showers but I didn't miss it. If you are a photographer they have large tables and tanks for your gear. The DMs and Captains are generally really great and they are happy to give a helping hand if you need to hand up gear etc. As others have noted, as long as they know you are going out they will set up all your gear on board,

Dockside Dive Center, the independent PADI shop at Coco VIew, is great for rental gear and technical help. I highly recommend the free discussion with the owner that happens every Monday on peak Performance buoyancy--I took off an additional 2 pounds.

Hardcore divers can easily get in 4 dives a day, and we had several divers who were doing 5. Most of our dives were 50-65 minutes long and they treat diver like grownups who can manage their own profile and ascent when needed.

Outside of diving, snorkeling, and chilling there really isn't much to do. The resort is water locked, so leaving the resort is possible but a production. If you want an affordable dive vacation where you can easily get in 22-26 dives in a week...then you've found your place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Tx.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Having been to Coco View multiple times, I have to say that it just keeps getting better. My dive buddy this time was a new diver and I was just amazed at how everyone looked out for her--from the other divers to Jesse, our Divemaster, to the dock staff. Thanks to Hurricane Ernesto passing by, the water was rough with lots of whitecaps and the vis was not as good as it usually is. But that only made for more shore diving, which I enjoy a great deal. We saw, among other sea life, an octopus on a night dive, lobsters, scorpionfish and the barracuda that was hanging out under the platform. Marys Place was an oustanding dive and my new diver buddy had a great time there, as she did on every dive. It was truely refreshing to see the oceans wonders through the eyes of a beginner. I had the opportunity to spend some time with Doc, who is one of the interesting people I know. The staff goes out of their way to accomodate you and make you feel at home. Whether you are an experienced diver or a novice, I can't recommend Coco View enough and can't wait to go "Home" again.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the bungalows and the cabanas. Have not had a problem with any of the rooms. They...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Pierce, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Coco View was not our original choice for a Roatan Dive trip. After a cancelled trip due to the government coup in 2009 we once again set our sights on Roatan for our annual dive trip. The original plan called for a flight that stops in mainland Hondurans then puddle jumper to the Island. Due to a price alert email we found a non-stop flight direct to the island at a great deal. We were happy until we found out the original resort was fully booked for that week…….oops. So now we had good airfare but no place to stay. Thankfully we live in a time of the internet and easy information access. Let the search begin!! We only have a few basic requirements for the trip; it must be centered around scuba diving and had to have internet access. We spent a number of hours reading reviews on a variety of forums and diving websites. Coco View started popping up more and more with divers commenting on how much they liked the diving, accommodations and food. So it was decided we would go with Coco View.
Booking was pretty simple, all done via email with the reservation and CC info done at a US location. So were all set with Cabana 1 over the water, internet in the room, nitrox for the week, all meals included. The only concern we had was the location is on a private island with boat access between the resort and parking area, we thought it might be a problem to travel to West end during the stay. Also there is no TV in the rooms, there a common one above the dining hall.
So we arrive on Saturday afternoon with no problems, if you dive the Caribbean you already know and accept things are done different then back home and your much better off to go with the flow. Coco View had a nice lady to greet us at the airport and they provide transportation to the resort. Tipping is common and the workers here rely on your appreciation and generosity for a good portion of their income. As a general rule we always bring plenty of singles to tip the driver, luggage handlers, ect.
Arriving at the resort my initial impression is very good; this is not a fancy 5 star resort but it is very clean, in good repair. The docks, boats, fill station, gear storage rooms and rinse areas all are in good repair. We’re feeling really good about the choice to come here. Since it’s late in the afternoon we just kind of learn our way around, meet some of the staff and get a feel for how things are done.
After a week at the resort I would absolutely recommend this to fellow divers and will return again to explore the walls of Roatan a little more. As for the resort, our room location was great, we could watch the night divers come and go from our back porch, often see there lights as the work down Coco Wall. Plenty of room for spreading out making ourselves comfortable had a coffee maker, small frige and 5 gal jug of drinking water. Bathroom and shower were good; we had hot water and decent water pressure. Plenty of ceiling fans, AC worked well for a window unit. By comparison to other Caribbean dive resorts I’d say Coco View is top 3 of all the ones we’ve been to.
A quick recap of the food, meals are at set times each day. There is a board with what is being served that day and the times. Diving is always scheduled so you don’t miss a meal. The food was good, with plenty of variety to accommodate different tastes. Being a pretty picky eater myself I never went hungry and could always find something I liked to eat. Also the fountain drink section is open all the time. You can have ice, water, tea and fruit punch anytime.
Now the main reason you’re even reading this….THE DIVING!!
We were assigned to Coco III with DM – Eddie and Boat Captain – Jorge. Both of these guys are top notch professionals and knowledgeable about each dive site. We had a great group, I think 13 in total and all seasoned divers. We had a lot of fun on the surface intervals with Jorge always surprising us with his snack choices. The boat was clean, stocked with safety gear and plenty of room for gear, cameras ect.
The Walls were great, with viz being very good at almost every site we dove. I would recommend doing the swim through on the cracks even if you’re not a fan of confined space, they are a different experience and you will be glad you did. A mini flashlight is a must for looking in all the little nooks and crannies. The coral is in pretty good shape with a fair amount of marine life. You won’t find the fish population like you would in someplace like Bonaire, but I can assure you the walls provide that sense of adventure and exploration most divers are looking for.
The only real disappointment was the Viz at the Prince Albert and the Plane. I would assume because it’s in a channel the current keeps things stirred up. As a Florida diver I’m pretty spoiled with great viz we have on our local dives. It’s still cool to go into and around the ship and play around in the buoyance triangles.
Night dives are really easy here and I would highly suggest it for anyone who has not seen the night time activity. On my night dives we were treated both times to octopus working the wall, looking for the next meal. I think we spent 20 minutes just watching how the moved around and searched the area…..really awesome to see!
We totally enjoyed Coco View and were so glad by the turn of event s that ultimately led us there. For some side fun don’t miss the Hermit Crab Races………my guy made it to the finals but lost……….lol. If you have specific questions send an email.

Room Tip: Cabana 1 has good view of the staging platform, internet access in the room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to CoCo View Resort? Share your experiences!