“great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bateau Bay
Port Macquarie, Australia
“great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed for two nights on a powered van site, kids would have loved too stay longer ( and parents), staff where very helpful and nothing was a problem. Shower blocks are very tired but clean. Position and pools and beach excellent and make this place. If you can look past the tired shower block, you will enjoy this place as much as we did. Make sure you visit the golf club for dinner.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed here just a matter of days ago and found the place a hidden paradise closer to the beach than any park on the east coast of nsw. I have read some other reviews and can only surmise that some of these miserable people would not have enjoyed their holiday no matter where they went...Firstly I'm not sure what sort of cream or oil you were putting on your children, but I would cease immediately, because it certainly wasn't the pool chemicals, the pool and complex in this park are amazing, we spent most of our time here and never had an issue, the water was always crystal clear and complex immaculate...Secondly we stayed in caravans so cannot comment on the cabins, however the ammenities while a little outdated, where always very clean and the gardens beautiful, this is a lovely park that we will be returning to and I just hope I dont have to share it with any of the negative, miserable people that have commented on here.. :-)

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

After reading some earlier reviews I had some concerns ahead of the visit but had to write this review to give a more positive perspective.

I went with a friend and our two 11/12 yo boys. We stayed in a beach front cabin (the beach at our front verandah) during September school holidays. We were blessed with fantastic weather.

The management & staff were all helpful, friendly & knowledgeable.

The pool was clean & warm enough for swimming. Ditto the spas. For a caravan park, the pools are well above average and we had no health concerns at all. Pool furniture was also in good order.

Everything we used in the cabin & surrounds e.g. BBQ was clean & in working order.

The kiosk stocked basics plus served take-away food. Not extensive or gourmet but useful.

The tennis / basketball court was in constant use. There is also volleyball & a games room. Being school holidays, there was an extensive kids program.

In the surrounding area, there is a golf course, a shopping centre, a great bike riding track around the lake and the Beach out front is really good with lots of interesting rock pools.

We had our own bathroom in cabin but my friend & her son used the shared bathrooms on two occasions and had no complaints with these facilities. There was mention of these possibly being due for update but it was still serviceable.

In short, both my friend and I are keen to return with the rest of the family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were booked into a caravan site for 10 nights but only lasted 7!!
Good Points -
1. Location was good. Right on a really pretty beach. Close to shopping centre which had everything you need.
2. The park had its own kiosk, which had great take away food. Convenient for milk, bread, coffee, icecreams and lunch. Would've been good to have it open a bit later for dinner.
That's about it for the good points....
Bad Points
1. Rude reception staff and not willing take feedback on board.
2. Pool looked good but whatever chemicals they used were not safe. We were there with 5 other families and had 15 children between us and every child had terrible dry, itchy and stinging rashes on their skin after swimming in the pool. Had to be treated with cream and oil everyday. If 1 or 2 children ended up with these skin problems I wouldn't think anything of it, but when 15/15 are all suffering, that tells me something is not right. 1 child ended up with middle ear infections in both ears. BIG PROBLEM!!!! Also lack of pool chairs and lounges and what they did have were old and grubby.
3. Amenities block was disgusting. Old and totally rundown. Cracked and missing tiles with mouldy grout. Bath was awful. Only cleaned once a day which isn't great when the park is fully booked. Also could only access with a key, which I suppose is good security but is very annoying when you need to use the shower/toilet at the same time as other family members.
4. The only other facilities they seem to have was a volleyball court that's net was broken, a tennis/basketball court that was rundown and a games room that was a money pit.
5. Advertised that they had free wifi, however didn't work.
I will not be returning to this park. Between the pool and amenities I believe that there are some health
harzards. Not a good holiday at all. Had to be cut short as couldn't stand using the amenities anymore and couldn't have my children crying in pain with rashes all over from the pool. This park, in my honest opinion should be closed down.

• Stayed September 2013

Travelers are raving about these Bateau Bay hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have stayed here many times, and the place is not what is used to be. The spa used to be hot, now is luke warm and when asked if this could be looked at, well it was too much trouble for the office lady. Toilets etc are clean but quite tired, run down. We had to cancel one visit as my husband was very ill and although we are repeat visitors the office would not refund or even carry over the deposit for another time. Ther are no cooking facilities, only bonus is the location on the beach. I won't be coming back, no value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Whilst over here from England and staying with our family who live in Sydney we took the opportunity of a weekend away at this resort.

The drive from Sydney was quite easy and the resort was easy to find. The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming and the chalets allocated to us and the family were well appointed, comfortable, clean and tidy. We had wonderful ocean views.

When we arrived the heating for the enormous spa pool was not working but next day the had it up and running again and it was wonderful. The swimming pool was great for the kids.

It was off season and the site facilities were not fully open and it looked as though they could do with a bit of updating but we were not intending to use these anyway.

Overall a very good experience and we will probably go back.

Room Tip: Full price beachfront chalets are great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is not the first time that I have stayed at this caravan park with my family, however through my recent experience I will probably never stay there again and would NOT recommend it to anyone. The staff were very rude and demanding (especially a guy called Steve) to myself and 2 other caravaning members of my family who were also staying at the park with their caravans and families. The lighting throughout the park at night was practically non existant and the managament should be investigated by the occupational and work safety authorities for creating this hazzard. The amenities look extremely tired and should have been renovated years ago - nothing has been done to them in years! For the $39 a night for a powered site, one would expect far better, especially as they advertise a 3 star rating. I would rate the park at about half that value.
In my experience as a caravanner, I usually rate a caravan park by the attitude of the staff at the front desk. In this case I give them a big fat 0!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!