“FANTASTIC!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 17 attractions in Taguig City
Type: Cemeteries
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This monument includes the graves of thousands of Americans who died fighting in the Philippines in World War II.
USA
73 attraction reviews
“FANTASTIC!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I had the fortune of visiting and receiving a private tour of this cemetery just a couple of weeks ago, and the experience was TRULY moving! Admittedly, my knowledge of the war in the Pacific is quite limited; however, the memorial does a FANTASTIC job of educating the visitor on the TREMENDOUS sacrifice made by MILLIONS in the defense of freedom! Upon entering the cemetery, I was immediately reminded of the National Museum of the Pacific in Hawaii; however, that's where the likeness ends. Overall, this was just a FANTASTIC experience that I would HIGHLY recommend others to enjoy!

Visited June 2014

• Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Novato, California
18 attraction reviews
“You might cry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I had no way of anticipating the enormous emotional response I would have to walking through the American Cemetery in Manila. Countless thousands of grave markers and tributes to the fallen.

I could not help but cry today at what I was walking through and what it represents. Thousands of grave markers as a reminder of the devastating loss of life that wars bring.

I cried today for all the little boys of the world like me that had to grow up without fathers because of World War II, Korean Conflict, Vietnam, Somalia, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Iraq and everywhere else where people in powerful positions use their citizens or subjects like pawns in a chess game for power, for oil, for land or for treasure.

Why can’t we all be more like the Swiss that say “NO THANK YOU” to war and military conflicts. Admittedly there are times when we are attacked and must defend ourselves, but I think that is the line in the sane where we need to stop.

Let’s put an end to some of our country’s little boys having to grow up without fathers because of war.

Visited July 2014
Mason, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We had been romping through the islands for over two weeks before coming to Manila and I'm glad that we stopped to learn about the history of the islands during WW2. I have a friend who lives in Manila and said that the cemetery is the most beautiful and tranquil place in the city. I agree!!

It reminded me of how patriotic that generation was and I'm grateful for the things they fought for!

Oahu, Hawaii
9 attraction reviews
“A must visit for every American”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

A somber and peaceful resting place for many of our brave soldiers who never returned home during WWII. There are mosaic maps throughout the memorial that explain the conflict. The cemetery is expansive, but it's the memorial that takes your breath away. Every massive wall is engraved with the names of soldiers whose remains were never found. Many of these men and women had family, who probably can't afford to visit and pay tribute to their loved ones. If you are American, I encourage you to visit and pay your respects, and to learn about an important part of our history.

Visited November 2013
Brea, California
6 attraction reviews
“Found my Grandfather”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

After so many years, we found my grandfather's memorial here at the Manila American cemetery and memorial. My grandmother may have come here in the 1960's had she known it was here. My grandfather went down with his ship on February 11, 1945 and our family had no grave to visit until now. The memorial wall here is sobering. So many men died for our country. The setting is absolutely gorgeous and the caretaker, a retired military man himself made my mother and her sister feel so welcome. They were both young teenagers when they lost their Dad and it was heartbreaking to see them relive it again. Thank you to the United States and the Philippines for preserving it. Everyone should not forget these sacrifices made in everyone's family for our freedom.

Visited June 2014