“Beautiful views, incredible beach, delicious food and impeccable service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Guana Island

You added Guana Island to your Saves list
Guana Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   P.O. Box 32, Guana Island   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Guana Island
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Beautiful views, incredible beach, delicious food and impeccable service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My husband, myself and our 9 year old daughter have found the perfect Caribbean getaway. A wonderful respite from the winter blahs. The food surpassed our expectations. Our daughter wants to return next year. This comes from a girl who ranks 'Villa D'Este' of Lake Como as one of favourite places in the world. We know we will return ...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Framingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Guana island is a great place to vacation if you enjoy quiet, nature, hiking, relaxing on the beach, water activities such as snorkeling, paddle boarding, and rowing. The dinners are luscious 3 course meals which will really spoil you for when you have to go back home and eat regular food. Hiking is great. The topography of the island is actually quite surprisingly steep. Bring good hiking shoes and see the island vistas from the peaks of the island-spectacular with Jost Van Dyke, St Croix and Virgin Gorda all in various panoramas. We did feel that the hikes are more difficult than what the hotel brochure describes. For example: the "moderate level" hike which should take about two hours, we would actually rate as "difficult" and it took us 4 hours to complete. Of note, my husband and I are in fairly good physical condition and hike all the time. The staff are wonderful, friendly and so accommodating. You feel right at home on day one.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great. We stayed in Upper Camino-The view is mesmerizing.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Tortola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Perfect place for a romantic get away for you and your significant other. Very relaxing, loved it. Will definetly visit again. Food and service was excellent. I loved the self service bars. Lovely!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

When I found Guana Island I knew I had found my perfect Caribbean paradise. Great views and privacy, off the grid rooms and isolation, excellent service and incredibly low key. I am on my 5th consecutive stay. I've stayed many places in the BVI, USBI, Grand Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Bahamas, Puerto Rico and none compare to Guana.

• Stayed March 2014
Princeton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We have been going back to this truly unique and amazing island for years. Each trip we find it to be in many ways unchanged and this is a very good thing. No tv,disco music, or telephones in the rooms. It still retains its total charm from Quaker days of the eighteenth century, but with the hidden 21st century improvements such as large bathrooms with great robes,very comfortable beds , wifi, gourmet meals and a staff willing to serve you at every turn. Hard to go home, but with luck we will return again next year!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Eastern Norway, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

This island is private with private houses and properties. In the big bay there is a small dock which we were thrown our from when we tried to tie up our dingy for a walk at the beach. We were asked to use the middle or eastern part of the beach which we did. No people on this white beach with wonderful water. We hired one of the moorings which was was rent (as always use 30/night) and spend a very quite evening with a great sunset behind a big yeah anchoring up in the bay late in the afternoon. No restaurants or other facilities; just a quite place to stay overnight.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We recently returned from Guana. We spent 6 nights there for our 20.5 year anniversary. If you have not familiarized yourself with their website do so now, it is very accurate and helpful. We flew into Tortola and we met by the very friendly staff that took us to the boat for the short ride over to Guana. After arriving at the dock in Guana we were met my 3-4 staff members that welcomed us to the island and gave us a tour and drove us to our room. There are not any true roads on Guana. Everyone gets around using golf carts. We stayed in the North Beach Cottage which comes with its own golf cart which is wonderful. Our villa was on a secluded beach that was away from the rest of the main part of he island. It has its own pool, deck and it the epitomy of private. The entire time we stayed there we did not see anyone on "our" the beach. The staff is wonderful, they will do as much or as little as you desire. My wife and I spent most days on the island hiking the trails or hanging out on the beach. We did scuba dive one day and the staff set everything up for us. There were only about 10-12 guest on the island while we were there. I am typically not as social as my wife, but I thought the conversations at the breakfast and lunches with the other guests were one of the best parts. There were guests from all over the world and chatting with them about their parts of the world and the different professions was fascinating. The island is truly unspoiled, there are miles of hiking trails, some easy some difficult. The staff provided us with a cell phone for the week in case we needed anything urgently. Our cottage had WiFi which I worked much better than I would have thought. During my wife's daily naps I could easily stream netflix movies and facetime with the kids back home worked pretty well. The food was top notch. Breakfast was a buffet or off a menu, lunch was a buffet and dinner was off a menu. I am a health nut and eat what most would describe as extremely healthy. I had no problems maintaining my diet there, they always provided a fish dish with lunch and dinner and fresh vegetables and fruits were always available. I exercise quite a bit and was able to run on the flat part of the island in a .6 mile loop. I also am a magnet for bugs and found that I was bitten much less than anywhere else I have been, including my own home. It rained the day we left otherwise mostly sunny. When I booked the vacation I wanted somewhere private and secluded, Guana was perfect. It was so nice not bothered on the beach every 10 minutes with someone selling you a drink, if you want a drink at Guana you just walked to the bar and make one yourself. This is definitely not the place if you are looking for clubs, hook ups and nightlife, its just not that kind of place. It is not cheap but for us on our 20th it was as close to perfect as we could have asked for. The great service extended to the Tortola airport on our way home when the man that runs the island happened to be departing at the same time and asked where in Puerto Rico we were spending the night and after telling him about the cheap hotel we were staying, he promptly changed our reservation to the Ritz in Puerto Rico for the Guana employee rate of $125.00 a night!! Guana will be tough to top for our future island vacations. Our kids want to go to Atlantis this summer and I am dreading it!! haha.

Room Tip: The North beach cottage sits all by itself. You can only get there with a golf cart and it is comple...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Guana Island? Share your experiences!